shape
carat
color
clarity

FCD Ring Design

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin, you are a true artist!

Out of the 4, I like C2 the best - probably because the OCD side of me always cry for balance and symmetry.

Chrono - I think it is best to use a white pear if you go with C2 - that balance the yellow pear beautifully.

Just my 2 cents

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to stay with a round melee because the diamond chip was my mother's. A way around this is to set it such that it looks like a pear, aka pear shaped outline but with a round stone inside. Does that make sense? Will it still look good?

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
That is a perfect solution!

Chrono|1387568952|3578257 said:
...set it such that it looks like a pear, aka pear shaped outline but with a round stone inside. Does that make sense? Will it still look good?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yingh - no but I'm good at cut and paste :lol:

Chrono - here you go...

c-c2r-c5-c6.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1387587976|3578430 said:
Yingh - no but I'm good at cut and paste :lol:

Chrono - here you go...

The first one all the way to the left really grabbed my eye, more than any of the designs thus far.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
I like C5, although C6 would probably protect the point of the yellow pear better.
Lovely idea though.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like either C4 or C6. (Chrono, it looks like you are taken care of in the Photoshop department. Thanks Starzin!)

kiwiflea

Rough_Rock
Beautiful designs. I like C2, I wonder - does it need the pale round pair?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin,
THANK YOU so much for taking the time to do not 1, not 2, but 3 mock-ups over the busy holiday weekend.

C2-r stands out for me the most. The balance of the ring looks right and separating the pink oval from the rest, makes the other pair of round pale pinks stand out more. I really like this design and it is the top contender for me right now.

Felice,
I think the pair of pale rounds are needed. When I removed them from the C2 design, the top leaf seemed to reach upwards emptily.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like C2r also as it appears balanced to my eye. I also think the pink pair are needed to provide this balance. It is beautiful!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1387851149|3579771 said:
I like C2r also as it appears balanced to my eye. I also think the pink pair are needed to provide this balance. It is beautiful!

+1 lovely.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
This is an entirely new direction, but would you consider a Seven Finger creation? I feel like your stones really deserve their own entirely unique design.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
+1 CR2. It has the most "Romanov" style and takes advantage of all the stones elegantly

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1387899885|3579960 said:
This is an entirely new direction, but would you consider a Seven Finger creation? I feel like your stones really deserve their own entirely unique design.

I considered 7 Fingers several years ago but dismissed it for 2 main reasons: all his settings are bezel only and I prefer more consistent detailing when viewed up close.

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Hi Chrono,

I've enjoyed the progress and reading through this thread... The project is very interesting, I look forward to the end result!

Would you consider adding a third dimension to the ring? Making the floral design more 3d ish - or is this completely the wrong direction? I can visualize it, and think that it would look stunning with the combinations of stones - with a whispy-esque leaf/vine design pattern along with an elegant touch of fancy color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RTFrog,
I would love a 3D-ish-esque feel to the ring but I don't know who can create such a ring. Do you have any pictures to show your ideas/inspiration?

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
This has been a lot of fun to look at and read. It made me think about which shape/direction appeals to me and I like c6 which tapered to the left. Lucky Chrono..... no, not for the fcds (although what terrif stones to play with!) but fingers LONG enough to carry off this sort of design. I'm looking forward to seeing more. It will be a fire starter for conversation :appl:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1387804656|3579428 said:
Starzin,
THANK YOU so much for taking the time to do not 1, not 2, but 3 mock-ups over the busy holiday weekend.

C2-r stands out for me the most. The balance of the ring looks right and separating the pink oval from the rest, makes the other pair of round pale pinks stand out more. I really like this design and it is the top contender for me right now.

Felice,
I think the pair of pale rounds are needed. When I removed them from the C2 design, the top leaf seemed to reach upwards emptily.
You're welcome Chrono, I'm pleased they've helped. I've been trying to get back here for a day or two but keep poking my nose into other things! :lol:

Don't forget that I have lopped off the top of the leaf since then and may not have put enough curve in the original version I did without the pinks - I'll have another go later today (your morning) and see if I can improve it without the little pinks.
RTFrog,
I would love a 3D-ish-esque feel to the ring but I don't know who can create such a ring. Do you have any pictures to show your ideas/inspiration?
Oh yes you do :naughty:
However... who was the guy that you discovered the last time we went round with this? The lily rings posted in the middle of nowhere but he was the head bench somewhere. Any further thoughts on him?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I did c2 again without the pinks but I don't know that it's any improvement. I think I like c5 but I know you think the yellow doesn't look like a flower with the point out - and of course you're right, I just like that stone line-up best.

Oh well... what about Julia Kay Taylor? She "gets" flow and has a few leafy things up at the moment.
Then there's this guy - http://www.aaronhenry.com be warned a lot of the links don't work once you're off the Home page.

c2-rr-no-pinks.png

aaronhenry-3leaves.png

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I'll throw this in for good measure (something gold is reflecting unfortunately). Marquise and round could be replaced by your pear and pink in RG or YG and your Mum's diamond added as dew somewhere.

knipegold.png

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, this has had a lot of twists and turns, but Chrono will find something beautiful - that I'm sure of.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Julia Kay Taylor is not good enough for this project.

Plus she only does bezels.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wordie,
I have small hands with short stumpy fingers so I cannot pull this off as a pinky finger. This will most likely be a middle ring finger to accommodate the length. :bigsmile:

Starzin,
The lily brooch / ring (?) reference sounds familiar but I cannot seem to find it now. Another contender is Joseph Jewelers, also in Seattle, who used to work at Greenlake Jewelers. Aaron Henry's work is beautiful but I do not know the size reference of the leaves. It is easier to show detail in larger items such a brooch but more difficult to pull off when the leaf is small (in a ring).

Hmmm....never noticed that JKT only does bezels but appreciate Freke's advice that she isn't the right bench for my project.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin,
The lily brooch / ring (?) reference sounds familiar but I cannot seem to find it now. Another contender is Joseph Jewelers, also in Seattle, who used to work at Greenlake Jewelers. Aaron Henry's work is beautiful but I do not know the size reference of the leaves. It is easier to show detail in larger items such a brooch but more difficult to pull off when the leaf is small (in a ring).
Great, that was enough to jog my memory and go Google him up again!

Other way around though. His name is Joe Worley and at the time we found him I think he was a bench at Green Lake (Oct 2012-present?). Previous to that he had been Shop Foreman and Lead Bench at Joseph's for five years. According to the information I could find, he has opened his own business but may still be working for GL as well.

He can do leaves, see https://www.greenlakejewelry.com/je...fern-cuff-hand-crafted-by-jeweler-joe-worley/

He has a website http://www.joeworley.com/index.html - maybe it's now worth sending him some of these, pointing out the problem areas and asking for a quote? Maybe he'll mock up some adjusted artwork. He hand fabricates everything and looks like your best bet at this stage I'd say. Whaddya think?

Alternatively your only other option is this guy :naughty:

His name is MG Verbanus

And do you remember when you were given the WestYorkJewellers referral the PSer (sorry can't remember) told us about the miniature Christmas tree? Found that too - just posted privately to his firefighting Facebook page a month ago - you can see by his hand that it's no bigger than a hand span high.
https://www.facebook.com/hardy.rockabilly/media_set?set=vb.1175135434&type=2
Train, VW, teddy bear, presents and a rocking horse underneath the tree!!!! - exquisite!

And so we don't lose everything related to this project, this is the link to the first "go round" of Art Nouveau ideas and suggestions. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/art-nouveau-antique-style.179034/

filigree-vw-sp_vw_beetle.jpg

filigree-car-sp_vw_beetle_side.jpg

filigree-car-sp_vw_beetle_back.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Starzin,
You've been so helpful; thank you! Yes, Joe Worley! It's interesting that Joe Worley, Joseph Jewellers and GreenLake Jewellers all have ties to one another. As for the beetle, ummm.....a little too big for the finger, don't you think? :lol: I contacted West York Jewellers last year and considering that he is in Canada, he was very concerned about international shipping, especially when we are discussing 4 FCDs. Come to think of it, perhaps JW, JJ and GL are my best bet since I travel to Seattle at least once a year and can drop off my stones there personally instead of relying on USPS.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Happy to help Chrono, we've come this far and I'd hate to see it stymied again for want of a bench :)) I was actually trying to remember the guy's name for ages and eventually had to hunt up the old thread. The ties are Joe Worley having worked there of course but his experience with GL and their organic/floral styles obviously doesn't hurt. Good experience all round methinks.
As for the beetle, ummm.....a little too big for the finger, don't you think? :lol:
Aaaaww... it has Swarovksi crystals and 24 carat gold plating you know! But yes, perhaps a little large. :bigsmile:
I travel to Seattle at least once a year and can drop off my stones there personally instead of relying on USPS.
:shock: You mean we have to wait another year to see this ring eventuate? Oh well... I'll just have to toddle over and see what I can contribute to the thinking on the amethyst :bigsmile:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Also, had you thought of asking some of the custom people who aren't in the running who they would recommend for this type of work?

LM's Russian isn't he? :lol:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leon Mege? He's French, I believe....

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Oh welll.. got that wrong didn't I? :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin is correct; Leon Mege is Russian. His last name has been adjusted a little, hence it doesn't sound Russian anymore. I don't think I'll be reaching out to LM anytime in the future though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results