shape
carat
color
clarity

FCD Ring Design

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Those have the flow Chrono seems to be looking for, Nottospec. Interestingly similar, though not as well executed. Chrono, once you get your ring done, you need to wear it driving that Beetle. :saint:

Of the 3 that Starzin did, my vote goes for the left one, C2r, because on the others I think the pear would 1. be at risk poking out as it does, and 2. catch on things & be in the way. It looks more balanced too, imho.

Interesting to see how this is evolving, Chrono. You're getting there!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow :bigsmile:

Chrono for a BIN of $450 and size 5.5 just buy the thing and wear it while you think about converting it for your demantoid!!! It will probably fit your middle finger.

Then we can get on with the amy :Up_to_something:

c-retro-ring-ebay.png

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Starzin, Chrono! It has a really nice flow to it. One thing, the design is more horizontal than the Russian one & much easier to wear for that & perhaps a little more graceful. The more anyone tries to fit into a vertical design, it ends up covering knuckle to knuckle (pardon the syntax there) & risks becoming kind of ungainly.

For $450 you're not risking much & if you don't like it, heck, re-sell it or send it back if they allow it. :wavey:

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too risky with ungraded SI2 clarity and a 15% restocking fee.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Okay... I've been to bed and got up again because I have to get this out of my head lol!

It's a pity about the restocking fee it's true, I hadn't noticed that. In any case if you truly didn't like it, I'm sure there would be many via Preloved/LP/DB that would love it as is. It really is a sweetie.

The point is that for $450 you are buying the gold, the design and the labour of one of the prettiest rings of it's type that I've seen in a long while. In fact it reminds me of the ring/design that started this thread!

The diamonds are a bonus if they're good, irrelevant if they're not. While they may be SI2, I can't see any obvious carbon spots (hard to tell I know) and they don't look like frozen spit, old cuts if anything. Basically you will be replacing one almost immediately so that you can admire your demantoid in this while searching for it's mate and then decide what to do about the itty-bitty ones.

Now I'm going back to bed :lol:
I am.

nottospec

Shiny_Rock
Starzin|1389103010|3588122 said:
Oh wow :bigsmile:

Chrono for a BIN of $450 and size 5.5 just buy the thing and wear it while you think about converting it for your demantoid!!! It will probably fit your middle finger.

Then we can get on with the amy :Up_to_something:

that is the one I liked too, and it was the cheaper of the two!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's so pretty...I think you should get it too Chrono.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Okay... it's gone. Did you get it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm afraid it's not me. I did consider it but by the time I made up my mind, it was gone. :blackeye:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Bummer!! Tsk, tsk, tsk. I did notice last night after the discussion that it had 2 offers on it and hoped that one was you. *shaking head*

Okay 'fess up whoever you are!! We want to see a thread with more pics when you get it! We're cross but we love the ring more :bigsmile:

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, now you can have one made putting in the stones you want! :)

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
ilovegemstones|1389191461|3588806 said:
Chrono, now you can have one made putting in the stones you want! :)
:lol: Love your enthusiasm!! However you might need to catch up on what this thread (and the first one linked to above) is about :)) It's very specifically to find/design a setting for her FCDs with the flavour of antique Russian rings. That delightful find of Nottospec's immediately suggested Chrono's demantoid to her, had an antique flavour and it was a very good buy. So there's a bit of a detour going on here - I would suggest that if the right ring, for the right price, came up then Chrono might consider it for the demantoid. Unfortunately it isn't just about a swirly ring, if it was we'd probably be "home and hosed" by now with all the eyes we have available on PS :lol:

However in the time honoured tradition of thread-jacking I'll throw this into the mix...the enamel has survived a hundred years or so and the opal is 4.6mm so it's probably doable if it appeals. $1,300 but Note the 50% off sale for 24hrs only beginning Sat at 8am - and the 6 watchers :razz: http://www.rubylane.com/item/514555-rl-1099/Victorian-Opal-Diamond-Ring

He has a website http://www.joeworley.com/index.html - maybe it's now worth sending him some of these, pointing out the problem areas and asking for a quote? Maybe he'll mock up some adjusted artwork. He hand fabricates everything and looks like your best bet at this stage I'd say. Whaddya think?
But getting back to the topic in hand, have you been in touch with Joe Worley?

c-plique-a-jour.png

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Starzin. :) I was trying to find some with that antique Russian look and even used those terms in my searches (and drooled over the Romanovrussia jewelry) but you are right, I did not read through the whole thread and the previous one. It will be beautiful when it is done, however that is, Chrono!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am overwhelmed by your helpfulness and appreciate it. It ever hurts to keep an eye out for a true antique setting for the demantoid, especially something in yellow gold. Looking at RubyLane, I am surprised how very expensive the rings are for the quality of the stones and workmanship.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a true pleasure to help you Chrono in any small way I can after all the guidance you have given me on this forum with my gemstone purchases! :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks really sweet! I thought I saw something similar on Etsy, using a spessartite, which amped up the orange colour. I'll be headed to Seattle soon so perhaps I'll have some time towards the end of the work week to visit Joseph Jewellers and Greenlake. :))

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1391465108|3607207 said:
That looks really sweet! I thought I saw something similar on Etsy, using a spessartite, which amped up the orange colour. I'll be headed to Seattle soon so perhaps I'll have some time towards the end of the work week to visit Joseph Jewellers and Greenlake. :))
You did Chrono... (ETA=correction) JuliaBJewelry is on Etsy http://www.etsy.com/listing/177678705

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, I just came across this ring on etsy and love it! It is called Wanderlust by MelissaCaronJeweller. I hopefully can get one one day but I just thought of your stones in this. Maybe it can be modified to be more delicate like the ebay one?

il_113.jpg

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Chrono, I have found your thread and think the others too, so I will try to read through them. First, let me say that I think your choice for design is wonderful. Faberge is my favorite and my jeweler's as well and he oftens works with the technique and style reminiscent of the era or sometimes makes replacements (like if there is only one earring left he makes the match for it). We have a Faberge exhibition in Vienna, Austria right now and have visited twice already but will do again before they close in May, the exhibition came from the Russian museum. I have been drooling over the jewelry and was amazed by the quality of the stones they used and had available back then; especially the emeralds and demantoids. I rarely see emeralds like that these days. The diamonds are of course not the best by today's standard but the colored stones are amazing.

Let me read your threads and see where you are with the design right now so I see the whole picture, very exciting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results