Fancy Colored Diamond Collection

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your collection Kenny.
Anything new in the works?

StarWarsChick

Rough_Rock
Resurrecting this thread! Such a deliciously beautiful collection! I got my first FCD in December (have wanted one for 7 years)- a very impulsive Levian .4 cr yellow diamond ring. It just made me want another. So that's how I found Leibish. I debated on a 2ct yellow pear but just fell in love with the pinks and just got my very first pink ring today from them in the mail, a .41 ct FIOP. I'm in love but I think I have Kenny fever cause I am thinking of what I want next once this is paid off lol! These beauties are just so stunning and they are all different, it's hard not to just want more! I love what your are doing Kenny and the photos are stunning! My faves of yours are the deep pink emerald, the green-yellow radiant, and the green-blue pear! I already have a ring idea that I want to get pink, blue, and green to put into based on a new ring Leibish just posted. I hope you've added more and continue with the photos, they are mesmerizing and have kept me up till al,PST 2am here!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
:D

Another FCD junkie!!!!!

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
StarWarsChick - they are addictive aren't they? Just wish I had a money tree for everything I want.....lol. Can't wait to see what you plan to get next :naughty:

Kroshka

StarWarsChick

Rough_Rock
kroshka|1426953847|3850602 said:
StarWarsChick - they are addictive aren't they? Just wish I had a money tree for everything I want.....lol. Can't wait to see what you plan to get next :naughty:

Kroshka
They are and I'm with you on the money tree! I'll be paying this one for the next 10 months so must resist the urge to buy more till its paid!

Sfadman

Rough_Rock
What a spectacular collection Kenny! Thank you for sharing them with us! :love:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my windowing Fancy Intense Orangy-Pink I1 heart just because the unique and fresh color makes my heart sing.
If it was an asscher with good light performance and that color I'd be over the moon in love.

Not forgotten !

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Resurrecting this thread...Kenny are there any new additions to your amazing collection?

Reactions: Kya

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks La2020.
No newbies.

But I do have better camera gear now. :mrgreen:
Too bad I have less time these days, and my approach to gem macrophotography is so time consuming. :cry2:

Last edited:

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@kenny And other FCD junkies:

This is an easy to use tool to check and compare fluorescence and phosphorescence. There is an app for your cell phone so you can take pics.
It is around 200 Dollar.

To check phosphorescence best is a dark room and close your eyes a few seconds before you turn of the UV.

This is an example how it look like. You can take screenshots.

With a powerbank and an adapter you can use it to check diamonds in a gem show if you want to pic from a lot without reports.

3AD83F72-CD9B-46A3-9CF1-F398B3C61791.png DCF1357D-D39C-40CE-A3EC-DB1DE44AF7D2.png

The Diamond is a greenish brownish yellow mix color with strong fluorescence - not sure whether HPHT treated. A cheap EBay purchase.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
@Nosean the pl inspector itself is 200$? what does the app do?

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@Nosean the pl inspector itself is 200$? what does the app do?

The app helps to see the reaction. You can takes pics LW and SW and compare them with the slider. And your eyes are protected. I don’t know whether the lens is safe. Will contact the vendor course my camera is not able to show the phosphorescence of my diamond with phosphorescence.

Last edited:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
@kenny , WOW. I hadn’t seen this thread until just now and I am blown away by your collection of FCDs. They are beyond stunning. Thank you for taking the time to share them with us.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
This collection is so beautiful!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all. :wavey:

Reactions: Kya

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When is that green oec gonna make its way into a killer ring?!

Seriously enviable and gorgeous collection.

Haha I only own 2 fancy colors and one is gray which isn’t really a color.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks MTG.
But I'm more of a collector of loose FCDs, than someone who wants more than one ring to wear.

When I want to wear a ring, it's my Octavia. :kiss2:
Never say never, but I doubt I'd ever wear more than one ring at a time or want a selection.

Frankly (for totally different reasons) I love my Octavia and my Green OEC about equally.
I just can't see myself pulling a DF, and selling the Octavia.

Sorry. ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You do realize that these are some of the most rare and precious gems ever posted on PS, especially that red guy at the bottom. Very impressive collection, and I rarely say this here, but a great investment.

Hello all.
Now it's 13 years later ...

@TL, Kudos to you TL.
You've proven to be quite the astute prophet. :clap:

About a dozen years ago I bought that 10-point GIA (VS1) Fancy Red Radiant diamond from Leibish with its nice even and clean pure stoplight-red hue for $36K.

Today Leibish is listing a 10-point GIA (SI2) Fancy Red Pear diamond with many dark areas and the hue below, to which GIA also gave the same GIA Fancy Red grade.
Price: $64K.

Both pics below are unaltered screen captures from Leibish's website.
The apparent size difference of the stones is not real.
It's just different enlargements of the images that Leibish happened to upload.
I did not bother resizing them.

Note the parenthesis around the clarity grades above.
GIA itself does not issue clarity grades on FCDs of this weight.
The clarity grades Leibish published for both Reds are from their GIA Graduate Gemologist, Shmulik Polnauer, one of the sons of the owner, Leibish Polnauer.

Here's a GIA piece about Shmulik: https://www.gia.edu/gia-news-research-alumni-shmulik-polnauer-fancy-diamonds

Considering my advanced age and medical conditions it might be the time to sell "Kenny's Big Red".

87.png

Last edited:

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Those are so $$$$$$. I have a miniscule one in an antique ring and it was an accidental buy - I had no idea it's a colored diamond until I got it. 20230815_141100.jpg 20230815_141046.jpg 20230815_141111.jpg

Attachments

• 20230815_141227.jpg
    20230815_141227.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 8

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Saw a link to this thread and am so happy to have found it. Beautiful collection!

Thanks, all.

Does anyone know why violet does not photograph?
That pear looks pure gray in the pic but has a distinct, lovely, though delicate, violet hue in person.
The white balance of the pic is not to blame.

The light source was soft and diffuse.
What could explain this?

Maybe some violet diamonds are color-change stones like chameleon diamonds and alexandrite? The following quote discusses violet-grey, not grey-violet, but as many people have commented, GIA color labels are not always exact.

https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/summer-2018-natural-color-blue-gray-violet-diamonds

“The two absorption bands in these diamonds create two transmission windows (again, see figure 6). This can result in a color shift under two different light sources. This phenomenon is most associated with alexandrite, and occasionally seen in natural diamonds (Liu et al., 1998) and treated diamonds (Eaton-Magaña, 2016).”

Another possibility is that if violet hues are caused by changes in lattice structure (with or without trace elements), then maybe the violet color that our eyes are seeing comes from light reflected at just the right angle and received via binocular vision. Or like how you see rainbows in computer screens when you wear polarized sunglasses. A camera might not capture it.

David Klass[‘s photographer] did a pretty good job capturing the violet in this dark violet-grey:

IMG_0902.jpeg
Whatever the cause, it might explain the lack of treated and/or lab grown violet diamonds. As a fellow violet lover, I am hoping that someday we will unlock the secret behind the violet hue and then be able to manufacture it. :) Pink LGD are getting purplier and purplier so there is hope.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe some violet diamonds are color-change stones like chameleon diamonds and alexandrite?

Different camera (or phone) sensors respond differently to different color inputs. It's a function of the filters at each pixel (analogous to our different cones for color vision) and, presumably, the algorithm that combines and weights those inputs into the merged output image we see. I think many (all?) modern sensors struggle with violet. You could certainly design a camera (sensor + software) that does a great job with the shortest end of the visible-light spectrum -- but most users instead prioritize blue skies, green foliage, and peach/brown skin-tones so that is what the market delivers.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all.
Now it's 13 years later ...

@TL, Kudos to you TL.
You've proven to be quite the astute prophet. :clap:

About a dozen years ago I bought that 10-point GIA (VS1) Fancy Red Radiant diamond from Leibish with its nice even and clean pure stoplight-red hue for $36K.

Today Leibish is listing a 10-point GIA (SI2) Fancy Red Pear diamond with many dark areas and the hue below, to which GIA also gave the same GIA Fancy Red grade.
Price: $64K.

Both pics below are unaltered screen captures from Leibish's website.
The apparent size difference of the stones is not real.
It's just different enlargements of the images that Leibish happened to upload.
I did not bother resizing them.

Note the parenthesis around the clarity grades above.
GIA itself does not issue clarity grades on FCDs of this weight.
The clarity grades Leibish published for both Reds are from their GIA Graduate Gemologist, Shmulik Polnauer, one of the sons of the owner, Leibish Polnauer.

Here's a GIA piece about Shmulik: https://www.gia.edu/gia-news-research-alumni-shmulik-polnauer-fancy-diamonds

Considering my advanced age and medical conditions it might be the time to sell "Kenny's Big Red".

87.png

Is it just me, but that pear looks brownish. I think it’s ugly. Your radiant is beautiful and bright, no brown. Good luck with selling it, but I think it should be worth more retail than that pear.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your radiant is waaaay nice than that stone @kenny and I would suggest hanging onto it for longer if you can, the value is only going to go further and further up based off the cost of that pear.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Jordy. =)

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i never tire of your collection!!!!! <3
can you be my daddy and leave these to me in ya will? pretty please?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results