shape
carat
color
clarity

Experts: Opinions on this James Allen Marquise?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! Is it bad I totally want to put my marquise in the same setting!

It was a ritani. They used be called their "endless love " collection. They have switched things up sense then but I'm sure you could still get it. Mine was plain shank which I love and and I think could make hours look specifically cool if you went e/w. Bit of course normal n/s is nice too. Have you seen the person on here with an actual marquise in that setting?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
No wonder it was nice, if it was Ritani! I'm just not sure I want to spend 3-3.5k on a setting though, y'know? JA has a nice halo setting for $1550, but it doesn't have the bezel. No, I haven't seen the person on here with a marquise in that setting. Who is it?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine was a 14k plain shank I got it at a local place for I think under or about 1600. I'd bet Pearlmans would be close to that.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I see! You don't have to get it direct from Ritani? I'm not sure how these designer settings work. You go to a jeweller and they get the setting from Ritani on your behalf, is that right?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. Essentially you'd call or email pearlmans and be like "i have this mq I want in this ritani setting" you'd ship them the stone and they'd set it. Ritani would do it directly for you unless your getting your stone from them at the same time

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I just looked at the Ritani Endless Love settings on the Pearlman's website. The only one I can see has the diamonds on the shank, same as the ones on the Ritani website. But the price can't be that different for shank diamonds, surely, and even on the Pearlman's site, the prices are about 3.5k. It seems the setting has shot up in price since you got yours, Niel!

I prefer a plain shank too, like you.

I was thinking of this setting:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-engagement-ring-marquise-center-item-17534

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for all the info, Niel! You really are a mine of information! ((hugs))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942 said:
Thanks so much for all the info, Niel! You really are a mine of information! ((hugs))

Oh no problem. I can't wait to see what you get it'll be so amazing.

I love the way the cads look for that JA setting l just don't like the real pics.

uploadfromtaptalk1384715578169.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
You're right - that halo's really nice! I'm going to look into that. Thanks!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Niel! :wavey: You're a sweetheart. And I do like my D colours! :lol:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Niel, what do you think about this setting as a for-now option? I think the twisted shank together with the pointiness of my proposed marquise ratios might look pretty. And, although it's a cheap halo, at least some size would still get added, all for $625. What do you think?

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-cabled-diamond-engagement-ring-item-17996

Or this for $700:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-oval-center-item-17457

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmm i really cant decide! I do think she twisty shank is cool, ive always liked that look, my only concern is the quality of the halo looks better in the second one. Would you do the shank in a different color gold other than white??? ( im hoping yes but i doubt it :lol: )

Is it weird that i think this one could be cool too?
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-twisted-shank-solitaire-item-17470

would you consider trying it e/w? I know you arent sure about it, but sense this is a temp setting, might be worth a try.

If its staying N/S and in white gold, i like the plain normal shank, if you were doing it in yellow gold i like the twisty kinds.. if you were doing it e/w i say the first one would be really cool!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, my head is spinning with all your ideas!! Be gentle with me, it's late! :lol:

I think I'm wedded to the white metals for this one, BUT, I do see what you mean about E/W with the twisty shank. The horizontal twists would echo the diamond shape lying on its side.

Thanks for making it clear between the two settings re. the better halo for a mere $75 extra! I also like the better halo with the slightly twisted shank that you posted.

OK, now I'm :twirl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1384743937|3558274 said:
Oooh, my head is spinning with all your ideas!! Be gentle with me, it's late! :lol:

I think I'm wedded to the white metals for this one, BUT, I do see what you mean about E/W with the twisty shank. The horizontal twists would echo the diamond shape lying on its side.

Thanks for making it clear between the two settings re. the better halo for a mere $75 extra! I also like the better halo with the slightly twisted shank that you posted.

thats exactly what i was thinking....

I mean some of the halos with the cheapest twisty shank look fine, but that radiant one they have, the corners look weird, and i'd hate to have them do that to the points of your marquise. Something to ask about though, maybe something could be done.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
of all those posted i like the .68…the first one the best …even over the 1c F I1 which is more expensive….I'm no expert on marquise though.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ariel! :wavey: I'm just concerned that it might be too small. But yes, I was drawn to the 0.68 too. It will be interesting to see what the ASET image from JA looks like.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1384744263|3558278 said:
Smith1942|1384743937|3558274 said:

thats exactly what i was thinking....

I mean some of the halos with the cheapest twisty shank look fine, but that radiant one they have, the corners look weird, and i'd hate to have them do that to the points of your marquise. Something to ask about though, maybe something could be done.

I didn't notice that....Thanks for your eagle eyes on this!

JA said the ASET image would take a week, just so you know.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Maybe you're right...

On the other hand, if it will look nice and big.... :naughty:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1384798507|3558561 said:
Maybe you're right...

On the other hand, if it will look nice and big.... :naughty:

IMO..it is not the length that will make a marquise look larger but the larger width. I had some emerald cut .5 carat for earrings and they were just under 4mm wide. the wider stone looked larger than the one that was slightly smaller in width.

If you get a larger weight stone make sure the width is larger than the 4.5mm on the .68 E you first posted. Then it will look larger. The more finger coverage (width) the larger the look. That is probably why Forekitty set her marquise E/W. I like the e/w setting look as well for a marquise. But it is simply a personal preference.

A .70c will not be "larger" than a .68c. The measurement is what you look at…If you put the two side by side the .68 will look larger IMO.

Here are some on GOG with ASETS you can compare to when you get the ASET from JA.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamondResults.php?shape=64&resultsColumns=268435471

Also check out this site for marquise…you might find the right stone and larger…also you can see the diff sizes on the hand in many of the pic's:
http://www.idonowidont.com/buy-discount-engagement-rings?page=3&sell_price[min]=&sell_price[max]=&tid_1[0]=22

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Ariel, thanks so much for your help! :wavey: I'm grateful to you for the input about the width. I was kind of ignoring that as I like the elongated look, but perhaps I should take the ratio down a bit.

Do you think that the 4.5mm is OK on the 0.68, or too narrow?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that d vs1 out of the mix?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I think so, yes, Niel. I think it's just a bit too small and that the 0.68 has better measurements. What do you think?

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1384722737|3558133 said:
so.... i know its not a ct, but I had found this one for another PSer but seems shes looking at cushions now, so i thought id pass it along. Honestly, i :love: :love: :love: it. great color for you, perfect clarity, not too deep so it still faces up large, has a CULET even!! Plus ratio is 2... you could get this plus a setting youd like for the budget of those cts

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/0.59-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-258245

this .59 D VS1 is really nice too….but the .68 is wider and will most likely face up larger to the eye. You might get the ASET for both and the opinion of the gemologist.

What was the price on the .68?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Ariel - the 0.68 is $1,330 incl Pricescope discount. I think that's a good price? (Assuming the ASET is OK.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results