shape
carat
color
clarity

Experts: Opinions on this James Allen Marquise?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
So, I've fancied a marquise ring for quite a while now, in a sleek modern setting. I love JA's bezel settings, and I love the way you can see the diamond, which is more important with fancy shapes like marquise, IMO.

I check the JA inventory regularly and usually there's nothing, but now I've found a marquise I like. I favour really long thin marquises, so a ratio of 2.14 upwards, and this is 2.22 - perfect!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/0.68-carat-e-color-si2-clarity-sku-246380

Can you tell me what you think of it? Any red flags?

This is my desired setting:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-bezel-solitaire-engagement-ring-marquise-center-item-3266

JA does this setting in all shapes, and I can see some actual photos of the settings on the website, although none of the marquise. The impression I get is that the setting isn't as thin, clean and elegant in real life as in the picture, but chunkier and less elegant, although that could be the macro photography. It's the exact style that I want - although I quite like the idea of a halo too. I could get the stone first, and the setting later (and then it's easy to send the stone back if it doesn't suit) or I could get the bezel setting and wear it like that for a few years then upgrade to a halo setting. Right now, I'd like to keep the total purchase to around 2k. I think $675 is a good price for that setting - don't think I will get better locally.

It's rare that a marqise comes up with all my criteria - low clarity, low price, high colour, very elongated, WELL over half a carat. I'm quite excited about this, potentially. If there are no red flags, perhaps I should just grab the diamond and think about the setting later. Spreads the cost, too.

Please tell me what you think of the diamond, though! Thanks so much! :wavey:

_240.png

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I prefer the 0.52, more than the first one.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the first one. The second one has some Spock ears going on, and the center doesn't appear very lively. It also looks too skinny and might look like a sliver if you set it north-south.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Kitty and Laila! :wavey:

I just did my usual thing of cutting out a piece of paper with the measurements and balancing it on my finger, and the D did look too much like a sliver.

2.14- 2.25 is the perfect ratio range for me. I'm finding it difficult to get a marquise since most aren't that elongated.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The first one's proportions are very similar to my .76 D VS2. I think mine might be a tad chubbier right at the waist. Have you considered setting it E-W?

Here's a terrible pic of it I found on my phone. I had to crop out my extremely dry and scaley hands.

d_vs2_marquise.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Fortekitty, your ring is gorgeous!! Do you have a thread on it? Also, I don't suppose you have the measurements? Just that then I could compare and get an idea of how the 0.68 would potentially look on a real finger.

JA actually does this setting E-W too. I've never tried one on so not sure what it would look like - your setting is lovely! I fell in love with the elongation of the marquise look when I picked up this baby, and decided I'd like a similar thing with all-diamond: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-carat-marquise-amethyst-and-diamond-ring.171781/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-carat-marquise-amethyst-and-diamond-ring.171781/[/URL]

God, I've got a 4pm deadline for my work. Gotta run - but talk after that! Thanks for your help! :wavey:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I don't have threads on most of my stuff... too lazy! The GIA report is in the safe so I'll have to look up the number on the girdle tonight and pull it up online. If I recall correctly, it's close to 10.2x4.9mm and I'm a size 3.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Oooooh....you know, they are in New York so potentially I could go and view this diamond instead of taking a chance...Thanks Niel! :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1384481844|3556768 said:
Oooooh....you know, they are in New York so potentially I could go and view this diamond instead of taking a chance...Thanks Niel! :wavey:

oh cool! I mean, who knows whos eye is calling it an "E" but the ratio seems to be what youre looking for, plus the ctw might face up a size you like. and they take offers, so you could maybe get out the door with enough left for a simple solitaire and stay in budget... but thats a lot of ifs, so it would be nice if you could see it.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Really appreciate your help, Niel! You are the Marquise Queen of Pricescope!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1384483298|3556784 said:
Really appreciate your help, Niel! You are the Marquise Queen of Pricescope!

oh shucks, i dont know about that :oops:

let me know if you actually get to see it!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That vendor is a professional, and I doubt they're in the business of handing out deals! They are claiming "E VVS1"... so I'd want to see a GIA report, especially at that price. Otherwise it can be anything.

If you really want to try your hand at luck, set your parameter and have ebay run a search once a day. I paid $2100 for my first ebay marquise diamond ring, and it came GIA graded as 0.90 E VVS2, with a nice pave platinum setting. Too bad I sold it last year to my aunt, otherwise I'd offer it here. There are a lot of marquises on ebay. You just have to search!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1384495965|3556893 said:
That vendor is a professional, and I doubt they're in the business of handing out deals! They are claiming "E VVS1"... so I'd want to see a GIA report, especially at that price. Otherwise it can be anything.

If you really want to try your hand at luck, set your parameter and have ebay run a search once a day. I paid $2100 for my first ebay marquise diamond ring, and it came GIA graded as 0.90 E VVS2, with a nice pave platinum setting. Too bad I sold it last year to my aunt, otherwise I'd offer it here. There are a lot of marquises on ebay. You just have to search!

All I meant was that the vendor had a "make an offer" button. Meaning the price was flexible. And I agree it could be anything. But if the color is white enough to her satisfaction and eye clean, its already cheaper than stones at James Allen for that size. Even at F i1

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for your help, both of you! Kitty - I didn't know you could set up ebay that way. I'll try that.

Niel - best wishes and congratulations for your wedding this weekend!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I have the 0.68 stone on hold, pending an ASET image from JA.

CrisM

Shiny_Rock
Fortekitty, your EW marquise setting is one of my favorites! It's been in my ring folder quite a while. Do you have any shots of the profile and underside by chance?

Just gor-geeee-ous! Simple, understated, original, and impactful. Love IT!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
There is another stone which is F I1 (the clarity doesn't bother me) and 1.02 carats for $2,850. Like the one on review, it's got the rare length/width ratio that I like.

Both stones are high colour, low clarity, which is what I like.

The 0.68 is 10.02mm by 4.51mm and costs $1,380. It's E/Si2, cert GIA.

The 1.01 is 12.14mm by 4.89mm and costs $2,850. It's F/I1, but cert IGI. (The I1 clarity doesn't bother me - looks eyeclean in the video.)

Question: For an extra $1,470, will I really see that much difference in the size? 2.12mm lengthways and 0.38mm widthways?

Also, while both are rated "Very good" as regards symmetry, the 0.68 will probably be better in terms of symmetry because it's a GIA stone.

Any thoughts, experts??

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. You'd see a noticeable difference.

And as for symm honestly I wouldn't worry about the grading as much as o would how you eyes like the faceting and how well the stone performs.

My marquise is very included. And honestly I dong care. The size is amazing and its a good performer. So I understand you not caring about clarity.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Oops, posting at the same time! Thanks Niel - I'll check out that one you just posted. It does look promising.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I like that one you posted, Niel! I don't care about the clarity - I know you can see some marks in this pic, but it's hugely magnified. I think it would be eyeclean enough for me. And the symmetry is VG, which is reassuring. I know you have to see it with your eyes, but we're always told to pay attention to symmetry with marquises because you don't want the two points to be misaligned.

I think that's a great price for a stone that's over a carat, don't you?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah i mean i dont know your budget i know you said 2k but i dont know what youre willing to go up with. But if youve only requested the one from JA id get those other 2.

also i might get more info on this... looks promising, and they have a nice setting that could keep you close to your budget.

http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/marquise-diamond-0-70-Carat-D-color-GIA-certified/D-T07MYF

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-diamond-tulip-cathedral-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/5420

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all your help, Niel!

How does it feel to be married, then? :wink2:

Anyway, instead of buying a smaller diamond due to cost constraints, I was starting to think about putting more money into the diamond and then saving up for a really nice halo setting. I think I'd like the halo instead of the solitaire or bezel, which I've decided would look too similar to my e-ring. So, I could go up to $2850 if I found the right stone.

I think that IGI F looks yellow compared to the GIA F that you posted!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
plus that D is too flat. sorry, the video wasnt working on my computer, so i just assumed the crown was passable. It isnt lol!

I think thats a good idea, as even a big marquise solitaire maybe in a yellow or rose gold would look different enough than your e ring and a little different until you save up for the halo (which i like the idea. Ive been toying with a vintage one for mine)

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Love your marquise!

Your old pear setting is my dream marquise setting - the halo was perfect and what I really liked about it was the bezel AND the halo - my fave halo setting. If you don't mind sharing, where did you get that setting?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results