shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement guidance!? Split shank,halo,knive edge,pave

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the pave shank. It's a nice look, especially if you go with brightcut, which I think suits the setting more and again, is safer.

Platinum because you added pave. Platinum is the best metal for pave. Read my posts here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-online-retailer-for-a-custom-setting.203660/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-online-retailer-for-a-custom-setting.203660/[/URL]

If you do brightcut, since this setting isn't going to be UBER thin though you can get away with white gold. But I would want an alloy that doesn't need plating (which is why in the email I drafted for you I specified the Stuller X-1 alloy).

If you want an Emerald cut instead of a round, I'll re-write the email for you.

jdrex

Rough_Rock
If you don't mind sending the Emerald version as well...

Would the Pave band still be suitable with an Emerald?

Thanks again for all the guidance!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think pave on the shank with the tapered baguettes will look fine, in abstract. But your lady is one that feels that princesses are too showy. So I'd stick personally to either just the baguettes with an EC. OR just a pave shank with an EC. Not combine both into one ring. If you like pave, then get a pave shank.

If you have a little give in your budget I found a GORGEOUS EC the other day. But with a good quality setting (don't get setting from this vendor, just the stone) it will put you over budget. Still the stone is so gorgeous I feel the need to post it for your consideration. With nice pave solitaire you looking at 1,500 over budget or so in platinum.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4754059-1.60-carat-Emerald-diamond-H-color-VVS1-clarity.aspx I have not seen an ASET, picture, stats combo that nice is a VERY long time. I would buy it in a heartbeat had I the funds. And B2C does have a good return policy just in case.

You can get the stone and see how you feel about it. Then you can go somewhere local and try different setting options next to it and see what you think. If it doesn't speak to you, then you can always get a round brilliant.

Emerald with a pave shank (again, I'd do bright cut pave though):

r6344_3wx.jpg

img_3077crop.jpg

ring8_0.jpg

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
Pretty please look at the WESTRAY-EM on MaeVona. I think it is perfectly modern with the right amount of classic and may be exactly what you're looking for.

mae.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the split shank Emerald. But those are costly settings and also look better with larger stones. The OPs budget dictates EITHER a larger stone or a costly setting. Not both.

This is a 2.2 carat diamond: https://www.pricescope.com/gallery/emerald-cut/r1311_020ww it's going to look very different with a one carat stone. It's pave, so platinum is the metal. And then the setting will cost 3,500 or more if custom. Which leaves 6,500 for the center stone, so you are looking at a one carat stone.

Here's an affordable split shank, but it's for a round: http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/elise-split-shank-4-prong-micro-pave-ribbon-enagement-ring-bpid-150-18.html But it is a possibility for a round. I'd be worried it is too showy for her though.

For an EC though:
I would call and ask for a quote for this setting from ERD: http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/samantha-classic-micro-pave-4-prong-engagement-ring-bpid-175-17.html It's perfect as is. Hopefully it will come in at 2,500 or less in platinum.
And then pair it with this stone: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4754059-1.60-carat-Emerald-diamond-H-color-VVS1-clarity.aspx

jdrex

Rough_Rock
These are all so nice!!

Anyone know how this works when shipped to Canada? Duties, etc?

jdrex

Rough_Rock
Nevermind, I know the answer to that last question.

Gypsie, the EC with that last setting looks lovely.... the EC/Round with baguettes also looks awesome (no pave on the shank)... :doh:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote is side tapered baguettes and no pave. No pave means no risk of lost little stones and no problem resizing in the future if needed. I hope to eventually get an EC, and that is exactly what I would choose for myself!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok so... when you say EC with the last setting do you mean this set:

I would call and ask for a quote for this setting from ERD: http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/samantha-classic-micro-pave-4-prong-engagement-ring-bpid-175-17.html It's perfect as is. Hopefully it will come in at 2,500 or less in platinum.
And then pair it with this stone: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4754059-1.60-carat-Emerald-diamond-H-color-VVS1-clarity.aspx

Also, tapered baguettes is something ERD can do for you and do well. I would ask for a quote for the setting. Both for an EC and for a round. I would expect the setting to be under 3000. Setting prices keep going up though. You can see the Melissa: http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/recently-sold-6-11.html and the Amanda: http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/recently-sold-6-8.html Make sure to ask for a CAD setting though. Your budget will go bonkers if they quote hand forged.
You can do 18kt to save money for the baguette setting .

:wavey: Let me know if you need me to draft and email for you. You can also just call them and start a dialog.

jdrex

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Ok so I have been in talks with a diamond dealer in Toronto and this is kind of what is on the table right now, looking for some thoughts.

It is Round Brilliant, Hearts & Arrows.

I do not have an ASET, that would be my last request.

I have attached a picture with all the details.

The HCA Score is 1.5 and it is eye clean, even with a scope I couldn't see inclusions. It is Med Fluorecense, but under the fluoro lighting I could not see any cloudy or milkiness at all, was still clear.

The price he quoted me on this was $9500 CAD all in. Keep in mind that with the exchange rate that is $8796 USD and if I were to order online the duties and taxes would be somewhere around 15% I'm guessing conservatively which would be the equibalent of $7648.

Please tell me if I am off with that logic and what you think of the stone. The GIA # is 1159798162.

Thanks yet again!!

He said he can make me a setting with tappered baguettes in the $1000 range so I would be about $500 over budget... Which isn't so bad, haha.

dundas_rocl.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That looks like a nice stone. No idealscope, but that's okay with a round if you've seen it in person and liked it .

As for the setting. If he is making you a setting custom make sure you give him the pictures below and tell him you want the ring to accomodate a standard STRAIGHT flush fit wedding band. And make sure the sidestones are F-H/ VS. No lower.

8c9b01f9a5dcd5de75605a5d7659392a.jpg
BrianGavin_SqHearts2b_070160.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also tell him you don't want a "peg head' setting. You want one with an integrated head. That's one of the marks of a higher quality setting.

SMC

Ideal_Rock

jdrex

Rough_Rock
Other than the curvy side view and no double prongs... what is the difference between the tappered baguette setting above in Gypsies post than the Classic Harry Winston tappered baguette?

In the process of going to the jeweller to tell him what is needed...

jdrex

Rough_Rock
Actually I do have another question ... might be one of my last! haha...

For the tapered baguettes, what is an ideal weight for a 1.25ct center stone?? I was thinking that 0.15 pt each would probably be the size??? Thanks again!!

couchpotato

Rough_Rock
My gf seems to have very similar and almost identical style to your gf. If this helps, she hinted that she wanted a cushion because of its elegance and slight unique quality though some faceting patterns of cushions can be very similar to rounds. She was also considering this danhov setting because of its modern twist. Hope this can give you some extra ideas to mull over. lol :wavey:

http://www.danhov.com/engagement/view-all/danhov-abbraccio-engagement-ring-ae155#

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
jdrex|1405357940|3713105 said:
Other than the curvy side view and no double prongs... what is the difference between the tappered baguette setting above in Gypsies post than the Classic Harry Winston tappered baguette?

In the process of going to the jeweller to tell him what is needed...

It will allow for a straight flush sit wedding band. Classic HW doesn't.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
jdrex|1405362793|3713142 said:
Actually I do have another question ... might be one of my last! haha...

For the tapered baguettes, what is an ideal weight for a 1.25ct center stone?? I was thinking that 0.15 pt each would probably be the size??? Thanks again!!

Fancy sidestones are not chosen by weight. They are chosen by measurements.

You are working in person. Have the jeweler propose a size and have him show you the stones together side by side. That is the best way to do it. Don't dictate, ask him what he recommends then have him show you the actual stones and decide from there.

jdrex

Rough_Rock
Gypsy,

That is exactly what the Jeweller said, he will be looking for min 4mm baguettes and then we will set them beside the stone to see how they are together. The weight of the baguette will just be a byproduct of what he finds like you said.

Glad he is saying the same thing you are!

Since it will be a custom design I will ask if he can do more the HW design but to adjust to allow for a straight flush sit wedding band. Will update you when I receive the computer model, off on vacation for a couple weeks... thanks everyone and enjoy the best time of the year! Summer!

Stephny691

Shiny_Rock
I've never looked twice at an EC until that one, that is stunning, great find Gypsy.

Glad you seem to have settled on a path OP, I'm sure she'll love it and the effort you've gone to!

jdrex

Rough_Rock
These are the matching baguettes, I am moving forward with this combination!

imag3175.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks fantastic.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Love it. Super classy.

jdrex

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone, I have reached the next step of this long process ... the graphic design model. I just received it.

I have attached 3 pictures and would love some feedback of comments before I send my go ahead approval tomorrow. The jeweler said the middle stone will look lower set in real life and that the prongs are obviously not going to stick out that much. But otherwise the proportions and ratios are pretty much exactly what it would look like. He also mentioned it will look more delicate once made.

Any comments are appreciated! Thanks!

screenshot_2014-09-08-23-35-45.png

screenshot_2014-09-08-23-35-50.png

screenshot_2014-09-08-23-35-56.png

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
I agree with you that the center stone may be a bit high, and that its prongs stick out too much. If it were me, I'd shoot off an e-mail saying, "Okay, please send me a new CG image with the setting how you'll make it." Because it's easy for him to say he'll obviously make it better than the images he sent you. But if it's finished and the prongs are still too high, and the center stone isn't set how you want it, what recourse do you have?

How will it "look more delicate" when made?

It's much easier in the long run for warranty and re-do work, regarding your satisfaction with the project, if you're both on the same page for the expected result. :read:

jdrex

Rough_Rock
SirGuy,

I couldn't agree with you more! I am actually meeting the jeweler tomorrow, I will reiterate all the points you mentioned which is also what stood out to me. Once I meet him tomorrow the CG images will be adjusted and then a wax mold will be made within the week so we can look at it in person, then the ring is made.

Thanks!

jdrex

Rough_Rock
Well I'm headed to the jeweler in a couple hours! Any last comments??

Thanks!

jdrex

Rough_Rock
Alright so these are the updated images from the jeweler...

Anybody have any thoughts?

I had him smooth out the connection from the shank to the baguettes, cleaner lines...

They are also single prongs instead double prongs now... this isn't set in stone. Would love some opinions on this!?

Thanks.

1000000886.jpg

1000000887.jpg

1000000888.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results