shape
carat
color
clarity

DS or anyone else help me with ratio for 3 stone please....

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I am pondering a reset for the ACC into a 3 stone with two ACC sides. I want to get it right of course.

This ratio is pleasing to my eye on this first LM but the second one is not so much. I like the bigger ones. My stone is 7.63 x 7.41 and 2.20ct. The center on the first one is about 3ct I think and the second pic is 1.5 with .91 ctw sides.

Do I really want to do it? I love my ring but I think I need more bling across my finger. I thought I would wear it with many bands stacked but after a year I find that I am not doing that at all and wear it with my rose and platinum Tiffany band only. I don't even wear it with my french cut eternity.

What other types of sides could I use? Any suggestions with pics are most welcome!

I tried to find the three stone ring thread but am having difficulty searching for threads with the new format.
Thank you!!!! :wavey:

r5208_0001wx3.jpg

R6394%2010wy.jpg

Here is my ring again if you have forgotten it LOL.

0317161451a.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think finding a pair of matching antique cushion sides that are also close to the color, shape, and cut of your current stone would be like finding a needle in a haystack! AVCs might be easier in that their cut is more consistent, but even then, finding two smaller stones with the same shape and dimensions would be very difficult unless one had them custom cut.

I am a big fan of your stone. But if I wanted more finger coverage, I'd do a halo and not make myself crazy trying to find matched sides! (I know you already tried a halo, but maybe a simpler one this time?)

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh darn it. I was looking at AVCs with traps and then the five stones with bullets too. There are a few floating around here I think. I know what you are saying and yes the search would probably make me crazy to find them. I hate to hide this stone in a halo. Any other ideas on cuts that would work?

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Coincidentally the setting is for sale now but I think the head might be too big for your stone :(

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore JDDN's ring, too. But just like the french cut sides I have on my antique asscher ring, they are more accent stones than a true three stone because they don't really give extra finger coverage. However, it might give you the boost you'd like. I think her center stone is a different shape than yours, though, so I am not sure I'd like yours as well with fc traps.

As far as true three stone rings go, I can't think of anything other than cushions that would look good with a cushion center. You'd have to have big facets and that limits you to OECs and ACC's, really. You might could try small OECs since your cushion is more rounded???

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I agree that her ring is lovely but not the look I am trying for. Her AVC is bigger of course. I got a price for large custom cut FCs and it is out of the question for me and my budget. LOL. I don't think I like the small facets of modern cuts with this stone.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EC8 I like that ring. Thank you.

David at GOG sent this pic to me today so I can get an idea. I like the look of the .46. But I like the .36 too. I know it is more like the second LM above but that bigger size might be out of my price range. David seems to think those would need to be .55ct to get a similar look as the first LM.

Stephanie1.jpg

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the bigger of the side stones, but it depends on the look you're going for. If you are going for the look of Leon's, I would say go even bigger than 55. maybe 65. Can you just buy one now, and wait a while and see if one pops up and if they don't have one, can they custom cut one to match?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the bigger of the side stones, but it depends on the look you're going for. If you are going for the look of Leon's, I would say go even bigger than 55. maybe 65. Can you just buy one now, and wait a while and see if one pops up and if they don't have one, can they custom cut one to match?
I do too. But your idea would require patience! :lol: It is a good idea though all kidding aside.

And it is supposed to be the last reset. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pic of my ring with 1ctw OEC earrings I have. I am not sure I love this look and would probably want cushions instead. I have asked David at GOG if I can buy the .46ct (knowing I would be sending it back) so I can see the cut in person with my stone and am waiting to hear back from him.

20170519_062705[1].jpg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EC8 I like that ring. Thank you.

David at GOG sent this pic to me today so I can get an idea. I like the look of the .46. But I like the .36 too. I know it is more like the second LM above but that bigger size might be out of my price range. David seems to think those would need to be .55ct to get a similar look as the first LM.

Stephanie1.jpg

I like the .36!! :love:

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Can you get David/GOG to photograph an AVC next to an antique cushion to see how well they work together?

Another thought - the stones will be set at an angle to the center stone, so perhaps the roundness of the OECs might not be as pronounced?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to give my honest opinion, and that is that AVCs don't look right to me with your cushion. I also honestly think that since your stone fairly rounded, OECs would look better as sides than AVCs. Seeing your last photo really confirmed that. I'd go with slightly smaller OECs as side stones.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Fancy shape? Chubby pears or chubby marquise.

cheers--Sharon

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey what color is your diamond again?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to give my honest opinion, and that is that AVCs don't look right to me with your cushion. I also honestly think that since your stone fairly rounded, OECs would look better as sides than AVCs. Seeing your last photo really confirmed that. I'd go with slightly smaller OECs as side stones.
They would surely be easier to find. I need to not pigeonhole myself into only considering one thing so I thank you for your honesty. Do you mean smaller than the rounds in the pic? Those are about 5mm.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Fancy shape? Chubby pears or chubby marquise.

cheers--Sharon
Hi Sharon. In looking at some pics on the internet of mixed cut 3 stones I really am not fond of the splintery modern cuts with old cut stones. Leon Mege has a few and they are beautiful but I am not sure I would like them in person. Step cuts maybe though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you could use that size OEC, or you could do slightly smaller in the 4-5mm range. I really don't see a better option for sides.

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Hi redwood,
I have a 3 stone AVR shown in my avatar from GOG, if this ratio helps you with the decision making at all. My center is 8mm, and the sides are 5.2mm and 5.3mm each. My ring size is 5. I would have like some slightly smaller AVRs, but I snagged these when they became available for the color and size match while I was working on my center custom cut. You can read more here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gog-custom-cut-avr-trio-in-vatche-royal-crown.227341/

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is lovely!! Thank you for posting it. I wish my stone was a bit whiter but it faces up better than an L most times.

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
I think your stone is a beauty, and Iove your bands esp the one with the frenchies. I havent quite figured out what band(s) to go with mine. My wedding band just doesn't go at all, so i wear it on my right.

I like the GOG AVCs. The 46 looks a bit more elongated, than the 36. Either size would be a good choice.

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
You could also do similar small sized oecs with it like diamondseeker suggested.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resurrecting this thread. I loved Ms. Markle's ring so much I had to see how this would look.

This CAD shows .54ctw (4.3mm) OEC diamonds next to my 2.2 cushion. I love my solitaire setting so I am keeping the style the same. Single or double prongs on the side stones?

The pic up thread with my earrings has .5ct on each side and I think they are too big. Are these still too large? Click on the image to get a bigger size because this is small to see detail.

3 stone.JPG

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
I'd scratch double prongs on the sidestones, but keep them for the center. It looks a bit crowded and seems unnecessary to have double prongs for that diameter on the sides. With single prongs it should lighten up and be less overwheming.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results