shape
carat
color
clarity

Drumroll please... My SETTING!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,

I am so sorry you still aren''t feeling well. Please take care of yourself.

As for your mom. She sounds like the way my grandma used to be. I loved her dearly, but she criticized. She used to drive my mom crazy!!!.

We all LOVE your ring here!!!

Take care of yourself today sweetie. Drink plenty of liquids. Wish I lived near you, I would make you some of my homemade chicken and rice soup.

Love, Linda

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/9/2007 2:48:36 PM
Author: Gypsy

My mother is such a PITA.

Her first comments on the ring:

It’s so plain!
It looks fake!
You have a beautiful diamond and this setting does nothing for it.

She REALLY dislikes that it doesn’t have pave on the shank.

Ah well, ya can’t make everyone happy all the time. She was slightly appeased by the thought of the flanking pave wedding bands.

I’m still happy with it.

Internet connection here is terrible, so I’m going to take pics in the backyard here (roses and so forth) then I’ll post them when I get home (tonight).
32.gif
40.gif
38.gif
ouch. i''m sorry.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 11:02:19 AM
Author: AmberGretchen

That ring is...umm...PERFECTION
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Its delicate and elegant and proportional and lovely, and just a bit antiquey-looking, but still with a modern sensibility. Its truly lovely and I'm thrilled for you that you are happy with it.
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Now try to focus on wearing it in good health!
I could say ditto to that. It is gorgeous!!! I like the 'cushiony' halo shape, and I also love a smooth, rounded shank like yours.

I feel for you with the stress. All the dealing with my DH's aunt and her house and other issues has taken its toll on my health, so I totally sympathize. I know it's easier said than done to find time to take care of yourself, (I'm trying to work on it too!) but AG was right:

Its amazing how you have unselfishly cared for her and everyone else around you, but remember you're no good to them unless you take care of yourself too!
Hope you are feeling better soon!

Your ring has inspired me to check with Ocean about my setting....

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you''re feeling better today.

What a surprise to get your ring a day early. It''s beautiful. I hope you enjoy it and your life with John for many years to come.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 12:20:14 AM

Hi Yamsicle, I''m glad your GF from work liked it, I really do too!!

As for the spread of single cuts...
33.gif
I wish I knew. I really don''t, but maybe someone on here does. I''m sorry!

There are 20 stones in my halo. One in each corner, four on each side and the CTW is .14 and each stone is 1.2 mm.

Hope that answers at least some of your questions.

DS... yes, we had a VERY different evening than anticipated.
2.gif
SURPRISE!!
9.gif

Sorry, just couldn''t resist.
2.gif

I''m so sorry about your night, hope you''re feeling better by now. And take care of yourself miss!

Your ring is just gorgeous! And a perfect size.
30.gif

Wear it in good health Gypsy!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s a teaser from today''s pics (internet is working again).

Layla new halo garden.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Layla new halo garden 2a.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 6:03:13 PM
Here''s a teaser from today''s pics (internet is working again).
Sigh, it''s sooooo pretty, definitely the money shot!!!
30.gif
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Layla new halo garden 2.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
...last one for now.

Layla new halo closeup.JPG

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Just chiming in to say your ring is BEAUTIFUL!!!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to hear you are feeling better. Your ring is absolutely gorgeous! Keep those pictures coming!!!
36.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I can''t express how sorry I am that your mother was such a PITA. Talk about raining on your parade
8.gif
. She should have been happy for you even if you were wearing a poptop from a soda can!!!

Anyway, you know her much better than we do so I suppose you sort of expected that reaction, but still it must come as a shock considering the care you''ve given her during her hospitalization and now rehab.
38.gif

Those last pictures you posted were FABULOUS!!!!!!

Enjoy every moment with that beautiful ring. With John by your side, you''ve got it made!!!!
35.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! I love the last picture!!!
30.gif
I''m sorry your mom doesn''t like your ring but you are right. You are right - you can''t please everyone! What matters is if you love it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I remember when you had some kind of accident in the lobby (or somewhere like that) of a place you used to work. I can''t remember, was it a fall or did you faint that time?

I am also sorry for your mother''s comments. I can''t imagine why she would say such a thing. The ring is beautiful whether it would be one''s personal choice or not. Not all rings are, but this one definitely IS!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like that it doesn''t have diamonds on the shank...I always thought that MINE''s set looked cool and yours are going to look awesome once you get dem crapola bands.
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
That ought to hold us over for an hour or so.
30.gif

Gyps, aren''t the single cuts fun??!

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous. That halo is spectacular!!!!!! Pretty pics, too!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Great, you''ve got your ring now (and it''s lovely and the close up is gorgeous!)...so go ELOPE ALREADY! I''m begging you...
31.gif

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Gypsy, those last few shots were awesome! I love it and I''m so happy for you. I hope you start feeling better soon
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
New pix!!
9.gif
18.gif
30.gif

You know, it look more octagonal in the close up ... but lusciously cushiony on the hand. Truly the best of both worlds! I think your instincts were dead-on & that the cushiony profile makes it look larger -- cut corners always shrink things yanno??

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy - Your ring is simply beautiful. Perfection!!! More pictures looking deeply into those asscher steps would be great. I love the look, and the halo really enhances your beautiful stone.

Sorry to hear about all the stress, the hospital, and very sorry about your mom being so rude. Stories like yours help me to appreciate the sweet, kind ladies I have in my life. Please take care of yourself.

(Fly Girl pauses to give thanks that her own DM and DMIL would never, ever say such nasty things.)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,
When Nanny gave me her mother''s ering, a 3 stone OEC''s set in platinum, I showed it to my Mom. She said such a shame it doesn''t sparkle, it''s soooo dull looking. I almost laughed, as the ring was and still is a beacon of light. My Mom''s comments reminded me of your Mom''s. Don''t give them a second thought. Your ring is perfection, and is absolutely stunning.
2.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,

It''s flippin'' fabulous!!!!! Tell your mother your PS friends demand she pipe down.

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!

~k

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Oh Layla! LOVE the new pics! *Be still my heart!!!* That ring is so incredibly beautiful! And it is PERFECT on your pretty hand!

And oh... try not to worry about Mom... she probably didn't mean what she said, and I'm sure she never meant to hurt you. Maybe she's just feeling a little self-consumed herself right now because of all she's going through. Try not to let it bother you, sweetie. xoxoxo!

My MIL (finally now dead and gone, thank you lord!) was one of the rudest, nastiest people to ever walk the planet, and she was ALWAYS being evil and intentionally vicious. So I know how unkind words can hurt... but I don't think your mom was being intentionally malicious. Impulsive and tactless, yes... along with some poor judgment, no doubt... but no true malice, I'm sure.

NOW, back to the RING!!! Oh maaaaaaaaaan, I am A'LOVIN' those single cuts
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
... WHO KNEW???!! Beautiful, simply beautiful! And eventually two flanking pave bands?!! Oh my, you know what that means, don't you?! I NEED MY SMELLING SALTS!!! PLEASE, SOMEBODY, QUICK!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

And um, one more thing... more pictures please???!
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi All... at home now, and John's lucious duck is cooking finally.

My grandmother was more tactful but had the same thing to say. She said it's lovely, but I should get diamonds in the band. Which gives me ammo to make an little tiny comment to my mom about her turning into HER mother-- which always gets her goat a bit. I love my mother very much, but with me she's very blunt, and doesn't have the filter where you stop and think before you speak. She did ask to see it again a couple of times, and said that it made my stone look bigger, and that the profile was lovely... so I'm pretty sure she figured out that she stepped in it and was trying to make ammends. Such is life with my family (this should clear up the whole living on the east coast for years thing for you all). Kaleigh, thank you for sharing that story about your mom. It made me nodd, and then smile.
2.gif

It's funny, even after all of that.... I REALLY am glad I have a high polish shank and not a pave one. I wanted the look to call back to all those lovely art deco rings with the plain shanks I've seen, and also mimic the AMAZING solitares on here as well. And I've done that.

So, like I said, I know my own mind. And honesty is welcome (although perhaps not as bluntly as my mother's comments).

The ring looks TOTALLY more octagonal when close up, doesn't it?

If I had wanted a more octagonal halo I would have asked for two bead corners instead of single bead corners. But this was the look I wanted. And all day long I've been staring happily down at my hand.

The single cuts are SO COOL. I ADORE THEM. First of all they are SUPER brilliant, you should see what they were doing when we were driving home in the dark... it was a dance of light.

Overall? I'm thrilled with it. I'm feeling better now, so I'm pretty sure I may be able to get to a jewelry store to see what it's going to look like with the FRENCH PAVE (lmao at TG) bands.

Here are the rest of the pics from the day. My parent's Sony Cyber shot is better at capturing asscher patterns than my little Cannon is... so these shots are brought to you by virtue of their camera's micro function.

Layla new halo rosebud.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of course... a rose shot (although it''s fall so the roses are suffering a bit from the cold).

Layla new halo rose.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
On the hand, out doors. It was overcast.

Layla new halo overcast.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last one for the day... peeping out of hydrangeas. It''s really THIS bright in person too. It''s just really BRIGHT. So cool!

Layla new halo hydrangeas.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 10:34:29 PM
Author: Lynn B
Oh Layla! LOVE the new pics! *Be still my heart!!!* That ring is so incredibly beautiful! And it is PERFECT on your pretty hand!

And oh... try not to worry about Mom... she probably didn''t mean what she said, and I''m sure she never meant to hurt you. Maybe she''s just feeling a little self-consumed herself right now because of all she''s going through. Try not to let it bother you, sweetie. xoxoxo!

My MIL (finally now dead and gone, thank you lord!) was one of the rudest, nastiest people to ever walk the planet, and she was ALWAYS being evil and intentionally vicious. So I know how unkind words can hurt... but I don''t think your mom was being intentionally malicious. Impulsive and tactless, yes... along with some poor judgment, no doubt... but no true malice, I''m sure.

NOW, back to the RING!!! Oh maaaaaaaaaan, I am A''LOVIN'' those single cuts
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
... WHO KNEW???!! Beautiful, simply beautiful! And eventually two flanking pave bands?!! Oh my, you know what that means, don''t you?! I NEED MY SMELLING SALTS!!! PLEASE, SOMEBODY, QUICK!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

And um, one more thing... more pictures please???!
36.gif

Lynn you''ve been making me chuckle for the last three days! ((BIG HUGS)) Thank you!

*passes smelling salts* (You really should be over here though, a dead man couldn''t stay down with the smell of John''s duck cooking).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results