shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone not like claw prongs? Why or why not?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A8F18846-8B5E-49DA-82A8-6078AA4B2E02.png BE160B98-964C-4E82-B81C-8B6FD4227858.png
Chubby claw?
45161844-8083-4A6D-8B0D-B245E0635358.png
Love above tab prongs - I have bad taste though... (all too often) 6E3D1575-3671-4E3F-9A2B-DAE49DDFC683.jpeg
I thought these were ball prongs but they look tapered.

3FF377CB-B21A-4A78-86AE-D2BC220F46D3.jpeg
Defined claws. I think are too delicate for the crown setting. 647B976D-B497-4E79-AE66-03B9E609FE29.jpeg
Ugly!

I’m being crazy and I’m attracted to tab prongs but I think claw prongs are safer because everyone likes them... right?

I don’t like the bead/ball prongs, that I know for sure.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A8F18846-8B5E-49DA-82A8-6078AA4B2E02.png BE160B98-964C-4E82-B81C-8B6FD4227858.png
Chubby claw?
45161844-8083-4A6D-8B0D-B245E0635358.png
Love above tab prongs - I have bad taste though... (all too often) 6E3D1575-3671-4E3F-9A2B-DAE49DDFC683.jpeg
I thought these were ball prongs but they look tapered.

3FF377CB-B21A-4A78-86AE-D2BC220F46D3.jpeg
Defined claws. I think are too delicate for the crown setting. 647B976D-B497-4E79-AE66-03B9E609FE29.jpeg
Ugly!

I’m being crazy and I’m attracted to tab prongs but I think claw prongs are safer because everyone likes them... right?

I don’t like the bead/ball prongs, that I know for sure.

I dig the chubby claw prongs! It looks like a prosperous and well fed ring. :lol:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the style you want, I think the prong shape comes down to personal preference. Get the tabs!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m with @mrs-b - chubby claw prints are nice but I don’t like the ones that look like long talons. I think tabs and blobbier ones (that’s a technical term!) are more classic, too. But we all like what we like!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think it's preference. A lot of designers are doing claws and tiny ones, so I think we just see them a lot.

I like tab prongs a good bit. They look vintage to me.

miimac7

Shiny_Rock
It’s my understanding that the prong shape is personal preference. I like the tab and the claw, so I’m no help. If I was getting a 6 prong setting I would choose the more delicate prong which to me is the claw, and I would get tabs or bigger claws for a 4 prong. I prefer 4 prongs over 6. I totally do not think you have poor taste;)2

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like claw prongs, both smaller triangle claws and longer slimmer claws ... but I do love well-done tab prongs too.

For me I consider the stone and setting first and then choose the most complementary prong style.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like them all, claw, tab, heart, the teeny tiny ones that seem to be popular these days. Not so much a fan of the random ones you see on "rustic" jewelry. Just b/c the vibe is bohemiam doesn't mean the prongs have to be ugly imho.

That last gabriel ny one looks like it's unset btw which is why the prongs looks weird. At least I hope that's why b/c they definitely look clunky

BMI

Shiny_Rock
I usually prefer classic tab prongs. However, the Stuller crown setting tapers pretty thin near the head and I feel like maybe the short claw prongs are a bit more complementary with the band. Either style will look great though, so get what you prefer!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sort of over them as my hair gets stuck in the claws sometimes

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t go wrong with Tiffany tabs :kiss2:

Ok, my thoughts exactly! I was gaga for claw prongs for a good long while but now I see them as trendy, whereas if Tiffany is digging the tab-like prongs still... well then they must be somewhat timeless. Anyways that's my theory.

I like claw prongs, both smaller triangle claws and longer slimmer claws ... but I do love well-done tab prongs too.

For me I consider the stone and setting first and then choose the most complementary prong style.

Such a good point. There is a flowy floral type six-prong setting which in my opinion demands claw prongs. This one, because of the kind of squat and solid head, made me lean towards the tabs. Despite the thin shank. Shrug.

This was SO helpful, thank you so much for taking the time to group those for me!

I like them all, claw, tab, heart, the teeny tiny ones that seem to be popular these days. Not so much a fan of the random ones you see on "rustic" jewelry. Just b/c the vibe is bohemiam doesn't mean the prongs have to be ugly imho.

That last gabriel ny one looks like it's unset btw which is why the prongs looks weird. At least I hope that's why b/c they definitely look clunky

Yeah hopefully that ring is unset because UGH.

I usually prefer classic tab prongs. However, the Stuller crown setting tapers pretty thin near the head and I feel like maybe the short claw prongs are a bit more complementary with the band. Either style will look great though, so get what you prefer!

Ok, cool, glad I'm not the only one that kind of likes tab prongs! I agree that the setting tapers so thin, that claw prongs would look great from the top... but the side view looks so solid and somewhat antique to me. Oh well, I'm going for tab, I'll post pics and we'll go from there!

I feel similarly: sort of over them. They were revolutionary to me when I had never seen them before! That's for sure.

I personally don't care for long, claw prongs on a stone. I am probably in the camp of stubby claw prongs or tabs.

Yay! I love your style, so it helps me to think of you digging tab prongs.

Reactions: BMI

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like any prongs may be except bar prongs due to bad experience of losing the centre stone of my mum's imperial Jade ring years ago.

DK :roll2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot depends on the setting style for me. I have claw, bezel, and tabs on various pieces. I chose tabs on the Tiffany style setting as I wanted to be as authentic as possible. I have wider ribbon tabs on my antique asscher. I have a bezel and claws on my Casablanca setting. The only thing I hate is round blob ball prong tips. :lol:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot depends on the setting style for me. I have claw, bezel, and tabs on various pieces. I chose tabs on the Tiffany style setting as I wanted to be as authentic as possible. I have wider ribbon tabs on my antique asscher. I have a bezel and claws on my Casablanca setting. The only thing I hate is round blob ball prong tips. :lol:

I hate blob ball prong tips too!!!!!!! STRONG DISLIKE :nono:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Honestly, this why I am not a fan of them. My hair gets caught up and so do hand towels. I like bezels, tabs, and short thick claws in that order. :lol:

But....you do you! =)2

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, this why I am not a fan of them. My hair gets caught up and so do hand towels. I like bezels, tabs, and short thick claws in that order. :lol:

But....you do you! =)2

Omg I have ruined so many hand towels with a different ring of mine! The worst!!!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that if things are getting stuck to claw prongs, then they're sticking up a bit from the gem and need to be set properly so they don't. My engagement ring has eight tiny claws and it does not get caught on anything. The same goes for my other rings with claws, and my diamond studs as well. YMMV!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that if things are getting stuck to claw prongs, then they're sticking up a bit from the gem and need to be set properly so they don't. My engagement ring has eight tiny claws and it does not get caught on anything. The same goes for my other rings with claws, and my diamond studs as well. YMMV!

Not necessarily, I have and have had claw prongs that were perfect, and once in that while, one would pull on a strand of hair. I think it’s inevitable. =)2

steviedsgirl

Rough_Rock
I had Amelia re-set in a 6 prong setting where the prongs are your basic "tab" type. Though I would have preferred a pointier look to the prong tips, I didn't have the funds for anything custom. Now that more light is getting to her, Amelia outshines the prongs, anyway.
20190412_164917.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190613-111611_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190613-111611_Chrome.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 79

leighton1984

Rough_Rock

Can you send a pic of your Tiffany like ring?

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I had no idea (pre ps days) about various prong/claw types in existence!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results