shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone not like claw prongs? Why or why not?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love claw prongs...short and fat, or thin and slightly longer. I also like other prongs depending on the style of the setting.
I don't like tab prongs that stick out way beyond the edge of the stone or plain ole blob prongs.

My favourite prongs are discreet ones, so either claw or rounded (which I like to call button prongs) as long as they are finely made and finished. I prefer claw ones because I think they look more delicate but badly made claws (too thick, long or pointy) are far worse than bad rounded ones (which are usually just blobby) and more likely to catch on clothing; so I’m far more picky about my claws.

AJ37

Rough_Rock
Can prongs be changed without changing the head or the whole ring? I never made a distinction and have huge whopper ball prongs that I really dislike but didn’t say anything within my return period bc I was still mesmerized by the diamond itself, I would love to just safely polish them to be less prominent.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can prongs be changed without changing the head or the whole ring? I never made a distinction and have huge whopper ball prongs that I really dislike but didn’t say anything within my return period bc I was still mesmerized by the diamond itself, I would love to just safely polish them to be less prominent.

a good jeweler should be able to reshape them

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
David Klass is replacing the utilitarian peg head on my engagement ring with a Tiffany style head (he's also setting my new Whiteflash ACA diamond). This is the side-view inso pic I sent him for the new head.

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 10.25.32 AM.PNG

In one of his emails to me, he mentioned doing delicate small claw prongs. In general I love delicate small claw prongs, but I wonder if my particular existing setting is better suited to the Tiffany-style tab prongs. Here is the best top down pic I have of the current e-ring/stone (channel set with princess and baguette cut stones) as well as the Tiffany top down view.

So would you do the Tiffany-style tab prongs or delicate small claw prongs with my setting?

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 8.09.36 PM.png

tempImagecxKL4I.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
David Klass is replacing the utilitarian peg head on my engagement ring with a Tiffany style head (he's also setting my new Whiteflash ACA diamond). This is the side-view inso pic I sent him for the new head.

In one of his emails to me, he mentioned doing delicate small claw prongs. In general I love delicate small claw prongs, but I wonder if my particular existing setting is better suited to the Tiffany-style tab prongs. Here is the best top down pic I have of the current e-ring/stone (channel set with princess and baguette cut stones) as well as the Tiffany top down view.

So would you do the Tiffany-style tab prongs or delicate small claw prongs with my setting?

tempImagecxKL4I.png

I'd do Tiffany-style tab prongs with a Tiffany-style head. They work so well together.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely adore my claw prongs, they are largely the reason why I chose this style solitaire by CvB. They are so subtle yet so fierce. 9EAEAE57-8BBC-479E-8295-95FFC7826EE2.jpeg

Love those prongs - sharpe, little ‘kitten paw murder‘ claws are the best! Knowing David Klass has a cat, when I had to describe the prongs I wanted I went with ‘kitten paw murder claw’ and he nailed it.

P

Petalouda

I have a Tiffany solitaire and a VC solitaire with double claw. I lusted after claw prongs for a long time here on PS but I’m finding that while I like them, I’m not absolutely loving them the way I thought I would. There is a slight discrepancy in the size of the double claw prongs ( expected with a handmade ring). What I mean to say is, tab prongs are great and really modernize a ring as well. I don’t find one to be superior over the other. If they make your heart sing, go for it!

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
@musicloveranthony Thanks for the pic. It is definitely helpful to visualize the two different types of prongs on rings where the setting is the same and the setting is very simple and classic. Both of those look great, so I guess the good news is you really can't go wrong if you like both types of prongs. If you don't then just pick the style you like best.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
@musicloveranthony Thanks for the pic. It is definitely helpful to visualize the two different types of prongs on rings where the setting is the same and the setting is very simple and classic. Both of those look great, so I guess the good news is you really can't go wrong if you like both types of prongs. If you don't then just pick the style you like best.

I don't think it was me!! I wish I had some pretty prongs to show off! haha :)

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock

tempImagecxKL4I.png

If it were me, I would ask for delicate tab prongs. Showing him pictures of exactly what you mean is a good idea.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results