shape
carat
color
clarity

DO YOU IRON ''take 2'' - paging Canuck-Gal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
HEY Canuck GUESS WHAT???

I found a mangle iron!
9.gif
9.gif
I get it on Saturday from a woman in Detroit who restores them.

Here is the original "do you iron" thread. It is locked but I asked admin to open it up.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-iron.95088/

The discussion re: mangle irons (ie: those things used to iron sheets/duvet covers etc. starts on page #2).

ANYHOW! I kept searching and found a dealer on ebay. She has an almost-new unit for me. I am ecstatic. ($350 US$ for everything). She is putting on a new roller pad and cover so it'll be absolutely FAB.

The flatware is piling up as we speak!

I can hardly wait to get all of my new beautiful bedding all pressed! (that high thread-count egyptian cotton that comes out of the dryer looking like kleenex!)

The best part, I found these 2 sales videos from the Ironrite Company from about 1950. Would have been on reel to reel tape back then…whatever that is.http://www.archive.org/details/MakingaN1946
http://www.archive.org/details/MakingaN1946_2
(just click on the big green arrow and it will play – they’re about 15 minutes each)

Talk about dated! SO SO funny, how the woman has to spend all day ironing so dear hubby can get out to the golf course and look fab....Oh, and there’s a part where she’s tucking him into bed (remember the days when they could only show twin beds on tv??) The other thing I liked was to see all of the old kitchen/laundry items in the film: so much of these were in my Mom's kitchen growing up. I'm sure you'll see something familiar.

I have had quite a laugh watching them…and of course, I am thrilled to think I will soon own my own “Ironrite” and learn to become the dutiful wife I could have been back in 1952….nyuk nyuk nyuk

Pic below of my OWN soon to be mangle iron!! Sweet DH says that this indicates some deep psychological deficit in my psyche - YEAH BUT WAIT TILL HE SEES WHAT THIS THING CAN DO!!
36.gif

LS

ironite 004.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
LS you are too funny! That looks like a death trap for me - I''d have my fingers in there and squashed in two seconds flat.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 12:41:13 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
LS you are too funny! That looks like a death trap for me - I''d have my fingers in there and squashed in two seconds flat.
I was thinking the same thing! That does not look Gecko friendly!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 12:45:22 PM
Author: geckodani

Date: 3/10/2009 12:41:13 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
I was thinking the same thing! That does not look Gecko friendly!
That is "partly" why they were referred to as a "mangle" iron....
9.gif

na, no big whup. No different than those old wringer washing machines my mom used to use.

LS

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
neat!

BTW have you tried using dryer balls with your linens? I find they help a lot with wrinkles. Basically, they''re hard rubber spikey balls that move around in your dryer and prevent the cloth from clumping together.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

....twilight zone music here.......

I was in the shop yesterday where I bought the sheets that require ironing--and I thought of YOU and our conversation! What are the odds....... I hae purchased a conventional iron and it works well--but takes some time....

Good luck on your mangle iron! It looks kinda cool....maybe I can bring my wrinkles over to you???????????????????? hahahahaha

cheers--Sharon

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 1:26:07 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
neat!

BTW have you tried using dryer balls with your linens? I find they help a lot with wrinkles. Basically, they''re hard rubber spikey balls that move around in your dryer and prevent the cloth from clumping together.
The dryer balls work with some things, but the high count sheets just come out soft but still wrinkly...I like ''em REALLY PRESSED!

(there''s probably a support group out there for someone like me!)

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 1:33:50 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

....twilight zone music here.......

I was in the shop yesterday where I bought the sheets that require ironing--and I thought of YOU and our conversation! What are the odds....... I hae purchased a conventional iron and it works well--but takes some time....

Good luck on your mangle iron! It looks kinda cool....maybe I can bring my wrinkles over to you???????????????????? hahahahaha

cheers--Sharon
WEIRD!!

I hate the amount of time it takes. And I LOVE everything all pressed like in a hotel....we should have a mangle GTG sometime!

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock

Gecko: ya gotta watch those videos. SURREAL

LS

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a good idea. I think I''m missing the punchline of that blog. it''s called "Pioneer Woman Home & Garden," but she''s washing sheets in a machine?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 2:19:03 PM
That is a good idea. I think I'm missing the punchline of that blog. it's called 'Pioneer Woman Home & Garden,' but she's washing sheets in a machine?
She's not a "back to Colonial times" person or anything ... just a city slicker who married a rancher & now lives in the boonies far from her beloved sushi and pavement. Her cooking blog is the most popular one. She's won two or three "Bloggie" awards for best writing ...

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 2:14:54 PM
Author: decodelighted
Lost Sapphire ... read this blog entry called ''The Trouble With Six Beds'' ... you''ll have to scroll down a bit, I couldn''t link directly. She has a novel idea for crisp bedding w/o ironing.
1.gif
Deco:

THAT IS SICK!!!

Although I must admit, I''m already putting the fitted sheet on the bed damp, because it comes out of the dryer looking like a used kleenex. So I just dry it for 5 min then put it on the bed. But I hate doing that...because there STILL might be a wrinkle or 2! (see, I need an intervention).

I really don''t like the idea of the pillow cases and duvet cover being put on damp.....makes me cringe.

With the mangle iron, you put the linens in the dryer for like 5 minutes on low, and then run them through the mangler. They get dried and de-wrinkled all at once. Takes less than 5 min to do a sheet....now, when I iron the duvet cover, it takes me 30+.

This whole thing really gets me thinking about how difficult it must have been for our grandmothers/great grandmothers to do housework...yikes. Then when I watched those VIDEOS - unbelievable. HE feels better on the golf course because HIS SHIRTS are pressed nicely??? AAAGGGHHHHH

LS

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 2:10:54 PM
Author: LostSapphire

Gecko: ya gotta watch those videos. SURREAL

LS

23.gif
32.gif
23.gif
I am so glad I live in the time I do!!! Those are crazy!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 2:26:46 PM

Date: 3/10/2009 2:19:03 PM
That is a good idea. I think I''m missing the punchline of that blog. it''s called ''Pioneer Woman Home & Garden,'' but she''s washing sheets in a machine?
She''s not a ''back to Colonial times'' person or anything ... just a city slicker who married a rancher & now lives in the boonies far from her beloved sushi and pavement. Her cooking blog is the most popular one. She''s won two or three ''Bloggie'' awards for best writing ...
That blog is quite good actually...though I could give her lessons on sheets!
31.gif
(once I get my mangle iron on Saturday, that is!).

I''ll have to take a picture of it so you can see me in action!

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Just Wow!

I''m fanatical about ironing my bed linen, in fact I was doing just that this moring. The best flat iron I could find in Calgary is a Rowenta. I''d love the Mielè rotary iron, but it''s C$2,000+

I don''t even put my frette sheets on the bed any more because they are such a pain to iron and too dammed expensive to send to the cleaners once a week.

I gotta see if I can get me one of these!!

What a find LS!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 2:33:53 PM
23.gif
32.gif
23.gif
There''s one part in it where they voice-over is talking about how wonderful it is that Mary the Housewife can get all dressed up for an evening out and STILL manage to get in a little ironing..."see how she can be perfectly coiffed and manicured and do her chores at the same time"....AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

LS

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 2:31:42 PM
Date: 3/10/2009 2:14:54 PM

Lost Sapphire ... read this blog entry called 'The Trouble With Six Beds' ... you'll have to scroll down a bit, I couldn't link directly. She has a novel idea for crisp bedding w/o ironing.
1.gif

Deco:

THAT IS SICK!!!

Although I must admit, I'm already putting the fitted sheet on the bed damp, because it comes out of the dryer looking like a used kleenex. So I just dry it for 5 min then put it on the bed. But I hate doing that...because there STILL might be a wrinkle or 2! (see, I need an intervention).

I really don't like the idea of the pillow cases and duvet cover being put on damp.....makes me cringe.

With the mangle iron, you put the linens in the dryer for like 5 minutes on low, and then run them through the mangler. They get dried and de-wrinkled all at once. Takes less than 5 min to do a sheet....now, when I iron the duvet cover, it takes me 30+.

This whole thing really gets me thinking about how difficult it must have been for our grandmothers/great grandmothers to do housework...yikes. Then when I watched those VIDEOS - unbelievable. HE feels better on the golf course because HIS SHIRTS are pressed nicely??? AAAGGGHHHHH

LS

I don't think it's sick so much as uncomfortable. There's nothing worse than climbing into bed only to find the sheets damp/clammy! Ick!

Aren't fitted sheets a recent invention?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I love you all. But I worry about you.
2.gif
3.gif
(My mother was giving me a hard time because she had to DUST off my iron when we went to iron my new bedskirt....)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 2:38:52 PM

Date: 3/10/2009 2:33:53 PM
23.gif
32.gif
23.gif
There''s one part in it where they voice-over is talking about how wonderful it is that Mary the Housewife can get all dressed up for an evening out and STILL manage to get in a little ironing...''see how she can be perfectly coiffed and manicured and do her chores at the same time''....AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

LS
I KNOW!!! I''m watching the 10 step procedure to iron a little girl''s dress right now. GAH!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We will need before and after shots of your ironables!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
"Mary''s own WASH DRESSES which used to take 15 minutes each to iron." GAH!!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Where might I find one LS? I wonder what the chances are of getting one into Canada?

Ooh, I''ve come over all funny! I haven''t been this excited since I laid eyes on Ellen''s aqua ring!

I''m fanatical about ironing my tea towels and hankies! Even been known to iron dusters (I know, I need to get out more!)

Sharon, we could share!!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 2:40:26 PM
I love you all. But I worry about you.
2.gif
3.gif
(My mother was giving me a hard time because she had to DUST off my iron when we went to iron my new bedskirt....)
yeah but see, here''s the thing Gecko: I HATE ironing with a hand iron.

I think I come by it naturally: all through high school I had a job at a dry cleaners after school. On Saturdays and all summer I worked in the laundry section with the italian ladies. We pressed tablecloths and sheets all day long on a GIANT mangle iron. I''ll try an find a pic.

On a side note: read Stephen King''s "The Mangler". That''ll keep you awake!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mangler

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 2:50:03 PM
Author: Gailey
Where might I find one LS? I wonder what the chances are of getting one into Canada?

Ooh, I''ve come over all funny! I haven''t been this excited since I laid eyes on Ellen''s aqua ring!

I''m fanatical about ironing my tea towels and hankies! Even been known to iron dusters (I know, I need to get out more!)

Sharon, we could share!!
Hey Gailey!

Seriously? I live in Canada. We''re driving down to Detroit to pick it up on Saturday. I can hardly wait!!!
Here''s the e-bay link to the lady I''m getting it from. She doesn''t list the mangler (ie: Ironrite Rotary Iron) on her e-bay stuff but if you do a "contact seller" you can reach her from there. She lives about 20 min from Detroit. Tell her Catherine from Canada told you to connect...here''s her e-bay listing for the muslin cover. I hope I''m allowed to post this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-COTTON-MUSLIN-ROLLER-COVER-FITS-IRONRITE-MANGLE_W0QQitemZ120388278033QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120388278033&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

this is nuts!

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 2:45:20 PM
''Mary''s own WASH DRESSES which used to take 15 minutes each to iron.'' GAH!!!
WHAT ON GOD''S GREEN EARTH IS A WASH DRESS? AND WHY WOULD YOU IRON IT?????

LS

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 2:55:43 PM

Date: 3/10/2009 2:50:03 PM
Author: Gailey

Sharon, we could share!!
Hey Gailey!

Seriously? I live in Canada. We''re driving down to Detroit to pick it up on Saturday. I can hardly wait!!!
Here''s the e-bay link to the lady I''m getting it from. She doesn''t list the mangler (ie: Ironrite Rotary Iron) on her e-bay stuff but if you do a ''contact seller'' you can reach her from there. She lives about 20 min from Detroit. Tell her Catherine from Canada told you to connect...here''s her e-bay listing for the muslin cover. I hope I''m allowed to post this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-COTTON-MUSLIN-ROLLER-COVER-FITS-IRONRITE-MANGLE_W0QQitemZ120388278033QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120388278033&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

this is nuts!

LS
Um. Mini GTG in honor of your iron? LOL! You know I live just outside Detroit right?
3.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
OH I GOT IT BAD...using my new PowerPointSkills (thanks mercoledi!) I made an IronRite Photo Montage!!

(look, they even sold a CHAIR that went with it! called "The Health Chair"

LS

ironitephotomontage.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 3:02:44 PM

Um. Mini GTG in honor of your iron? LOL! You know I live just outside Detroit right?
3.gif
If you live outside Detroit, how come you don''t have one of these ALREADY??

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
LS,

I thought electrical goods had to meet certain Canadian standards to be legally imported. DH knows more than me about it, I''ll ask him tonight.

I''m guessing you won''t have that problem because you are driving down to get it. You must be in the East. Like Sharon, I''m in Calgary, that would be one heck of a drive!

Perhaps you could ask her if she''s ever shipped one to Canada.

Please keep me posted about bringing it across the border and how it works etc.

You lucky girl!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results