shape
carat
color
clarity

DivaCup (Warning: Lady Business Content)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
ok....so i bought one today!

i was over by a whole foods, stopped in for lunch and decided to see if they had it. which they did. only 1 left. and on sale for $26.99- w00t w00t! it was a sign.

AF just came to town...so i''m kinda pumped to see how this goes on. its like getting my period for the first time but way more exciting and not as scary!

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, this thread is cracking me up!!!! I can''t stop saying "lady business" in my head.

HOW have I never even heard of this????

Ok, the reason I am still on PS (as asked on another thread) is b/c of threads like this! Funny, informative, and I always learn something new. I just have this image of all of these PS''ers running out and getting the DivaCup and causing a shortage!
9.gif

DivaCup, indeed. I am a bit intrigued. No need for one right now, but perhaps I will be adventurous too once AF returns from her hiatus.

Keep on, ladies.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been using Instead for years and I was really interested to learn about the DivaCup...but the reason I started with Instead is because I like to ::ahem:: get busy during sometimes during certain times of the month...and it doesn''t seem that you can do that with DC...

Also, I''m super prone to UTIs, and I am very worried about infections--and...what do you ladies boil this thing in? I think that might bother me, seeing my ladytool on the stove, and I am not the least bit squeamish (see above)...

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Alli, I tried Instead but it''s completely incompatible with my body shape and was thus useless to me. It definitely has the advantage over DivaCup when it comes to gettin'' busy, though. But DivaCup causes less waste, which is a plus. I use filtered water to boil mine, but I''m not at all squeamish about it -- I wash it before boiling, so it''s just a clear piece of silicone, which is a lot less gross to me than a big old slab of meat cooking away. I was explaining about the DivaCup to my mom, though, and she was pretty skeeved out by it, so I don''t think your feelings are unusual!

nicolejrx

Shiny_Rock
Alright, I admit it... I got my DivaCup in October after reading this thread and can I just say I LOVE IT!!! I actually love it so much I want to shout it from the rooftops! Hehe well that might be a little much but it is seriously life changing.

I work a ton of 12 hour shifts sand it is absolutely amazing to not have to bring tampons to work and constantly be going to the bathroom. I love not having a ton of waste! A huge plus is that my DH and I will be traveling to Europe for 3 weeks in April and I will not need to pack a whole dang box of tampons, just my little DivaCup!

Now for the TMI part: I have trimmed the stem and that is definitely more comfortable. Also for some women it doesn''t work out if you ride it as low as the instructions say to. I also "kegel" it into to position which also gives it a good seal for no leaks! Learned that on a menstrual cup forum, oh yes, they are out there... And very informative!

Alright, enought about my love affair with my DivaCup...
Nicole

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are many menstrual cups out there to try. I have the large versions of DivaCup, LadyCup, Meluna and Lunette. Those are the big names along with the UK Mooncup (different from US Mooncup/Keeper). Do a search on "feminine wear" and you should easily find a site that sells all of these brands. The Diva is the longest cup, which presents an issue for a lot of women. YMMV of course. Some women do use cups with IUD''s. Cups don''t need to be boiled between uses. They can be washed in a gentle soap like dove unscented. You can also drop them in a cup of water boiled in the microwave rather than using a pot on the stove.

One piece of advice that is important: never use anti-bacterial soap on your hands or cup before inserting or removing it. This leads to yeast infections!

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
Ok so I decided to order this! Got it last week and tried it w/ my period this week. It took a little while getting used to it, and I think I feel a bit more crampy (may just be THIS month tho), but I really like it.

VERY nice not to have to carry tampons. I didn''t have any problems inserting it, and I was very nervous about being able to get it back out, but NO problems there either!

I''m on board!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I''m still really interested in this, but my darn IUD! I''m going to make an appointment with my gynecologist soon to talk to her about it.

Totally unrelated, but I just have to crack up when I hear you ladies refer to your period as AF. I had to stop using that euphemism "AF is coming to town" because FI would always insist that "Aunt Flow always travels with Uncle BJ."
20.gif
Men.

Now we call it "Shark Week."

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2010 12:25:08 PM
Author: Travel Goddess
I''m still really interested in this, but my darn IUD! I''m going to make an appointment with my gynecologist soon to talk to her about it.

Totally unrelated, but I just have to crack up when I hear you ladies refer to your period as AF. I had to stop using that euphemism ''AF is coming to town'' because FI would always insist that ''Aunt Flow always travels with Uncle BJ.''
20.gif
Men.

Now we call it ''Shark Week.''

I seriously LOLed at that statement!! Totally sounds like my DH. Awesomeness!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
All right, I''m fed up!!! Darned peri-menopause and this unpredictability!! I''ve had to wash out two garments today and I''m on day 4 which should be lighter!!

TMI questions: If DivaCup is longer, which version is shorter? I have problems with certain brands of tampons which expand lengthwise instead of widthwise. Also, will these hold clots? Yes, I know, gross! But that''s what you ladies have to look forward to.
32.gif

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/6/2010 6:48:32 PM
Author: alli_esq
I''ve been using Instead for years and I was really interested to learn about the DivaCup...but the reason I started with Instead is because I like to ::ahem:: get busy during sometimes during certain times of the month...and it doesn''t seem that you can do that with DC...

Also, I''m super prone to UTIs, and I am very worried about infections--and...what do you ladies boil this thing in? I think that might bother me, seeing my ladytool on the stove, and I am not the least bit squeamish (see above)...
I wash my DivaCup first and then boil it on the stove. Here is what I did:

1. take out my special pot used ONLY for DivaCup (stored in Ziploc in bathroom between uses)
2. Boil water in pot to sterilize the pot.
3. Dump out and put in fresh water.
4. Wash DivaCup in warm water & soap.
5. Drop cleaned DC into the fresh boiling water.

Probably overkill, but I don''t want to get any infections.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2010 1:42:24 PM
Author: Upgradable
All right, I''m fed up!!! Darned peri-menopause and this unpredictability!! I''ve had to wash out two garments today and I''m on day 4 which should be lighter!!

TMI questions: If DivaCup is longer, which version is shorter? I have problems with certain brands of tampons which expand lengthwise instead of widthwise. Also, will these hold clots? Yes, I know, gross! But that''s what you ladies have to look forward to.
32.gif
You can google Lunette which just became available in the US (if that''s where you are). You might also google feminine wear for more information.

Yes, cups can handle everything, and when they are full they overflow just like other products. It''s not gross. It''s natural.
2.gif
You don''t have to boil them monthly either. They can be clean any number of ways including with just plain water. If you prefer boiling it can be done in the microwave in a microwave suitable mug or bowl. A little googling goes a long way on this stuff--there''s a ton of info on Youtube also.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Bought some Instead yesterday. Jury is still out, though no leakage. Just ordered a Lunette.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Alli - I get UTIs all the time unless I take antibiotics after every time I have sex. I''ve never ever gotten one related to me using the Keeper.

I rinse mine with warm/hot water during my AF, and give it a wash with warm/hot water and antibacterial soap when I''m done using it for the month. If I''m in a public bathroom and can''t escape out to the sink to wash it out, I just blot out the inside and wipe off the outside with toilet paper, and pop it back on in.

It definitely holds clots - have had insanely heavy periods before where I have to empty it every 2 hours, and I tend to wear a pantiliner with it just in case, but it''s sooo much better than tampons ever were for me.

I just hope mine will still have a good seal postpartum, since I''m already using the "after" baby size (I''m 6'' tall). Thee "before" size leaked on me back in university, so I went up a size. I''ve still got two spares stashed away in case I ever lose mine, I love it that much!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2010 1:05:57 PM
Author: drk
Alli - I get UTIs all the time unless I take antibiotics after every time I have sex. I''ve never ever gotten one related to me using the Keeper.

I rinse mine with warm/hot water during my AF, and give it a wash with warm/hot water and antibacterial soap when I''m done using it for the month. If I''m in a public bathroom and can''t escape out to the sink to wash it out, I just blot out the inside and wipe off the outside with toilet paper, and pop it back on in.

It definitely holds clots - have had insanely heavy periods before where I have to empty it every 2 hours, and I tend to wear a pantiliner with it just in case, but it''s sooo much better than tampons ever were for me.

I just hope mine will still have a good seal postpartum, since I''m already using the ''after'' baby size (I''m 6'' tall). Thee ''before'' size leaked on me back in university, so I went up a size. I''ve still got two spares stashed away in case I ever lose mine, I love it that much!
Using anti-bacterial soap even just on your hands can lead to UTI''s during AF (handling cup), just a head''s up. It is contra-indicated to wash your cup with antibacterial soap for the same reason. Anti-bacterial soap destroys the "good" bacteria in your vagina, which leads to repeated infections. Washing with a regular very mild unscented soap is preferable.

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/4/2010 9:49:44 PM
Author: Travel Goddess
I''m too lazy to read any FAQs right now so can anyone tell me if it''s okay to use with an IUD? I have a Paragard and if there''s any suction at all, I''d be a little worried about it pulling the device out of my uterus. Since I''ve been on Paragard, I''ve been having crazy-heavy periods with outrageous cramps. I''m spending so much money on tampons (and now pads and panty liners which I never used to wear).

So does anyone have a DivaCup AND and IUD?

I used the Diva cup with a Paragard for a couple of years too. It does have suction, but if you''re very careful to break the suction before pulling it out, you will be fine (you should break the suction before you remove it anyway). The cup sits very very low and the IUD is way up high, so the risk of pulling it out is low. However, there is still a slight chance

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I finished the week with the Instead and was pretty pleased on the whole. I had no problems with leaking (though I missed the heaviest days). I can imagine that removal would be quite messy with any volume in there. I initiallly had difficulty "hooking" the front of the ring up and over the pubic bone. And I found myself having to waddle to the sink with my drawers around my ankles to wash up before zipping up. Not very convenient if in a public bathroom. I DO have to give two thumbs up with comfort!! I find disposable items (pads and tampon) cause my tissues to become very sensitive when used. This was much kinder to my fleshies!

I received my Lunette today, unfortunately too late to road test. But I was still so excited about the prospects that I decided to give it a test run. Had a bit of a coordination challenge with things. Do I hold it with my left hand, with my right, do I need both? Well I finally got her in place and I was quite surprised that I could not feel it. I don''t know what I was expecting? I guess I imagined wedging a piece up Tupperware up my whooha. This was nothing like that. Confession... I find tampons frequently uncomfortable, chafing and trying to peek out when they''re supposed to be taking care of business! But neither the end of the cup or the stem are bothering me at all.

Pinching together on the bottom of the cup with my thumb and middle finger, then kind of wiggling it back and forth brought it down enough that I could kind of fold in the top to remove it comfortably. Dry run seems to be successful!! Now I can hardly wait for the opportunity to try it for real!!

Let''s hear it for the Upperwear Tupperware!!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2010 6:40:50 PM
Author: Upgradable
Okay, I finished the week with the Instead and was pretty pleased on the whole. I had no problems with leaking (though I missed the heaviest days). I can imagine that removal would be quite messy with any volume in there. I initiallly had difficulty ''hooking'' the front of the ring up and over the pubic bone. And I found myself having to waddle to the sink with my drawers around my ankles to wash up before zipping up. Not very convenient if in a public bathroom. I DO have to give two thumbs up with comfort!! I find disposable items (pads and tampon) cause my tissues to become very sensitive when used. This was much kinder to my fleshies!

I received my Lunette today, unfortunately too late to road test. But I was still so excited about the prospects that I decided to give it a test run. Had a bit of a coordination challenge with things. Do I hold it with my left hand, with my right, do I need both? Well I finally got her in place and I was quite surprised that I could not feel it. I don''t know what I was expecting? I guess I imagined wedging a piece up Tupperware up my whooha. This was nothing like that. Confession... I find tampons frequently uncomfortable, chafing and trying to peek out when they''re supposed to be taking care of business! But neither the end of the cup or the stem are bothering me at all.

Pinching together on the bottom of the cup with my thumb and middle finger, then kind of wiggling it back and forth brought it down enough that I could kind of fold in the top to remove it comfortably. Dry run seems to be successful!! Now I can hardly wait for the opportunity to try it for real!!

Let''s hear it for the Upperwear Tupperware!!
i love the PS invented terms! first the dildocam, now this! grrrrreat!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats Uppy! It gets easier. Glad you signed up on the forum, there''s so much support and info there.
2.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Last Thursday night my daughter and six of her friends (ages 15-17) had a big pajama party at our house. I''m close with her and her friends, so when the conversation turned to their periods, I pulled out my new cup and told them all about it. They were much more intrigued than horrified, so I''m hopeful.

My daughter is planning on trying it as soon as we choose one for her. I''ve given her the info to read, and am waiting for her to fill me in on her "internal explorations."

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
I''m using mine for the second month in a row and I really like it. However I do think I cramp more with this. Anyone else feeling that? Maybe just the bit more pressure?? Not sure. Still a bit of a challenge to get it situated, a min or two more than using a tampon, but given you aren''t changing them every couple of hours it makes up for it.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Hey I was going to bring this thread back, glad someone already did it.

I have a question....

I have been using Instead cups for a while now. I actually use one and reuse it for one cycle, even though the directions say not to. I haven''t had a problem though and I''ve read other women do the same. So anyway, I''d really like to get one that is designed to be reused. I went into Whole Foods a few days ago and paid a visit to the DivaCup but honestly it looked too small in the package.

Does the DivaCup hold as much as Instead? I know they are shaped differently so I am hoping maybe it just looks smaller.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
I am still completely in love with mine! <3

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
You would be surprised with how much the DivaCup holds. I have tried Instead and the pink rim was too big for me and I couldn''t seem to get it behind the pubic bone which was terribly uncomfortable for me, but that being said I think that the amount that they hold would be close to the same just a different shape. There are 2 different sizes of the DivaCup so you might want to look into that. I have been using my DivaCup for at least 6 cycles now and every time I want to yell from the rooftops how amazing this product is. I am so glad I stumbled upon it here on PS because it really has changed my life.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
"Keeper" user here. Found out about it ~10 years ago. LOVE it.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2010 1:05:57 PM
Author: drk
Alli - I get UTIs all the time unless I take antibiotics after every time I have sex. I've never ever gotten one related to me using the Keeper.

I rinse mine with warm/hot water during my AF, and give it a wash with warm/hot water and antibacterial soap when I'm done using it for the month. If I'm in a public bathroom and can't escape out to the sink to wash it out, I just blot out the inside and wipe off the outside with toilet paper, and pop it back on in.

It definitely holds clots - have had insanely heavy periods before where I have to empty it every 2 hours, and I tend to wear a pantiliner with it just in case, but it's sooo much better than tampons ever were for me.

I just hope mine will still have a good seal postpartum, since I'm already using the 'after' baby size (I'm 6' tall). Thee 'before' size leaked on me back in university, so I went up a size. I've still got two spares stashed away in case I ever lose mine, I love it that much!

DRK - feel your pain, I am the same way w/UTI's. Since I was a little girl
15.gif
. Have an infinite refill rx. for antibiotics.

I've been using the keeper for nearly 10 years (the same one, never had to replace it) and have never gotten a UTI from it. Trust me - I know the second I have compromised myself
2.gif

Am wondering though...tried to find info - are there BPA's in the older Keepers? May have to write the company and ask...

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 11:45:18 PM
Author: mia1181

I have a question....

I have been using Instead cups for a while now. I actually use one and reuse it for one cycle, even though the directions say not to. I haven''t had a problem though and I''ve read other women do the same. So anyway, I''d really like to get one that is designed to be reused. I went into Whole Foods a few days ago and paid a visit to the DivaCup but honestly it looked too small in the package.

Does the DivaCup hold as much as Instead? I know they are shaped differently so I am hoping maybe it just looks smaller.

I''ve tried Instead as well. The diva cup is much much more comfortable. And I think it actually holds more even though it doesn''t look it. You can comfortably wear it with no worries for at least 8 hours on heaviest flow. No problem.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 11:45:18 PM
Author: mia1181

I have a question....

If you do a google search for "menstrual cup forum" you should find some help. Sorry I can''t link here. The FAQ section gives detailed charts on capacity, length, width, etc. Many varieties are only sold overseas. FDA regulations. I just purchased the Lunette, which is available in the US, and it works wonderfully. Unfortunately you have to order online because there is very little interest in carrying these products in a retail environment. No repeat customers.
27.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, there are 2 sizes of DivaCup. Are you sure you saw the large? It has the greatest capacity that I know of, although it can be too long for some women. If the Diva seems too long, I recommend the Lunette. Both of these have great capacity in the large size and are easy to use. I have 4 different large cups (Diva, Lunette Selene, Meluna, and LadyCup), and am about to go for a 5th (Mia Cup) just because I love them so much and just want variety for various reasons.

I got my 22 yr. old daughter into cups (Diva, LadyCup and Meluna). Now when we walk down the hygiene aisle she always exclaims how happy she is never to have to buy those products anymore. I totally agree. Wish I''d been tuned in years ago!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results