shape
carat
color
clarity

DivaCup (Warning: Lady Business Content)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
This thread is for DivaCup advice, tips and tricks or for you to just tell us how much you love it and why!
1.gif
Share your DivaCup experience with us.

DivaCup Website

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Last month I was officially converted to the DivaCup by my darling twin sister and now I cannot imagine how I dealt with anything else!

It was LIFE CHANGING. A little intimidating at first, but, a few days in and I was the DivaCup professional! Better yet, all the hassle, muss and fuss of all the previous lady days was GONE!

No leaking (which has ALWAYS been a problem for me), it''s cleaner, it''s easier, it''s convenient because you only have to rinse it every 12 hours so you''re less likely to run into public bathroom ordeals and it saves you money not to mention it is friendlier to the environment!

I am crazy in love with the DivaCup and I highly encourage every woman who has to deal with lady days to give it a try. If you are trying it for the first time and think it''s not for you I also encourage you to not give up...whether it takes a couple of trys, days or cycles you will become comfortable with it as you learn how it works with your body and once you have that Diva moment, you will never go back!

I cannot say enough good about it, it''s just incredible. Lady days will never be the same for me again!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I''m not a DivaCup user, but I''ve been using the Keeper (same concept, if not an earlier version of the same product?) for 17 years. I have super heavy periods, so a little leaking still happens on my heavy days (I just wear a pantyliner and hit the bathroom to empty it every 2 hours or so), but it''s SO much better than the old times with tampons! I also love the fact that it''s not linked to toxic shock syndrome, so you can leave it in for 12h on lighter days.

I''ve never found it "gross" to use, and I love that there''s no packaging or waste to go along with it. Before I used it, I''d become an OB tampon convert - tiny plastic wrapper, no applicator, way more discreet to keep in your pocket. In fact all those tampon ads on TV that try to tell you how smoothly the plastic applicator glides in crack me up - if you can have sex (and I bet most women using tampons are sexually active), surely the applicator is nothing in comparison! The Keeper does take a little getting used to, and is a little bigger than a tampon going in, but it''s absolutely nothing crazy.

I paid $40 Cdn for mine years ago, and one will last me about 10 years before the rubber starts to get too soft. Best $40 I ever spent!

PenelopeJane

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been reading about the divacup for a while and am hesitant to try it. I have some questions.

When you are using it, do you notice physically that it is there all day?

I saw the website and the cup looks rather large. Is it actually small IRL?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 10:42:43 AM
Author: PenelopeJane
I''ve been reading about the divacup for a while and am hesitant to try it. I have some questions.

When you are using it, do you notice physically that it is there all day?

I saw the website and the cup looks rather large. Is it actually small IRL?

Ditto to these questions.

I am physically aware of tampons, I would assume the cup would be worse. I have endometriosis, anyone with the same situation using the cup??

Also, on the website there are two sizes to choose from. I am almost 30 and have never given birth vaginally. My initial thought is to go with the smaller size since I have issues with the tampons, but I don''t want the thing to fall out.

This was brought up a few months ago on an eco-friendly thread and at first I was disgusted, but now it''s starting to make a lot of sense.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
really??? it looks huge! scary!

how do you insert? like fold it up or something?

the site mentions tucking the telltale string of a tampon into your bikini. someone once told me a funny story about that. she was on her vacation with her parents and her dad say, "Hey, there''s a string loose on your bikini, let me pull it off" and he ended up pulling the tampon out before she knew what happened! they were both mortified.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
It does look scary until you actually start using it. You do fold it in on itself, and it pops open once it''s inserted -- then you give it a little twist to "lock" it into place. I was very aware of it the first cycle I used it, though it was much better once I trimmed off most of the stem. Since I got used to it, I really don''t notice it at all. I''ve tried both Diva Cup and Instead (which are similar, but shaped differently and are not reusable) and I HATED Instead -- they didn''t fit well with my body and leaked all over the place. Ick. I''ve never had a leak with the Diva Cup, and now that I''ve been using it for awhile, I find it very comfortable and secure. I don''t think I could ever go back to tampons!

There was another thread about this awhile back, too...I''m too lazy to search right now, but if I have a chance later, I''ll try to get the link.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my first Keeper from the sexual health centre at university. I got the pre-birth one, but it leaked on me, and they let me return it for the bigger size (I was shocked). Maybe because I''m 6''0" tall and apparently fairly roomy? I only notice it a little when wearing it - no pressure from the cup itself, but if I don''t have the pull-thing trimmed enough, I find it irritates the ex-hymen area. It''s a fine line though between short enough to be comfy and too short to get a good grip for pulling it out. :)

It does get folded in half and half again for insertion, then pops open once inside. Not a challenge to insert at all. It doesn''t seem big to me in real life. The post-birth one I have (larger size) is probaby about 1.25-1.5" across (don''t have it with me to measure). At least with the cup, there''s no moist little string dangling outside. It also doesn''t press on the cervix, but hangs out below it, so it''s always been very comfortable inside to me.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love my DivaCup. I''ve only been using it for a few months after reading about it on another thread here on PS. I did feel it at first, but it wasn''t uncomfortable. It is larger than I thought it would be, but it''s not so big that it feels bulky or anything.

I told my sister about it and she loves using it now, too. I highly recommend it.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been using a DivaCup for about 5 years - I would never, ever go back. I agree that it was life changing. I''m a pretty active person (softball, figure skating, aerobics) and I''ve never had a problem with leaks. It saves a lot of money, is cleaner (no bloody waste in the bathroom trash!), and is better for your girly parts than tampons (no risk of TSS).

I''ve been trying to get my sister to use one, but I understand why she''s reluctant. It DOES sound weird, and to be honest at first the concept disgusted me. Now even the thought of using a tampon makes me hyperventilate!

missjae

Shiny_Rock
When you use the DivaCup at first you may notice it''s there and it usually means it''s just sitting a little wonky, when you first start using it it may take a little bit before you get the technique of putting it in just right, and when it is in properly, you will not feel a thing! Some women trim the tip off the stem for comfort as you don''t need the tip for removal.

It is larger than other products are, but it''s made of a soft silicone and as intimidating as it may look or seem to use it really isn''t any worse than using a tampon (I actually find it a lot easier and more comfortable to use than a tampon).

You fold it to insert, either bend it in half or you can push one finger down to make the opening look kind of like a rose bud (my favored option) and then slide it in, I find running it under warm water makes it alot easier to insert and more comfortable too. As a beginner don''t hesitate to pop it out if it doesn''t feel right and give it a quick rinse or trim the stem then sit down or stand with one foot up and try again as many times you need.

When I use my DivaCup, as long as the pain of lady days is managed I feel like saying "what period?!"

I''m not a very adventurous girl so it was intimidating to me at first as well but my sister raved about it and so I gave it a try and I will NEVER go back!

It''s not messy as you think it would be - if inserted properly when removed it is completely clean on the outside and if you''re in the process of getting used to it and it does get messy on the outside, it''s NOTHING compared to the regular waste you end up with when using pads and tampons....one quick rinse and you''re fresh and clean again. My first couple of days I removed it, rinsed it and reinserted every couple of hours to get the awkwardness out of the way and to familiarize myself with the process.

I cannot say enough about it, I am completely passionate about he DivaCup and I really HIGHLY encourage all ladies to give it a try! Use the saved money from not having to buy loads of lady products and pamper yourself. Find the Diva in you :) If you do try it and think it''s not for you, even if you have to put it away and try again next cycle I really suggest you do because if you give it a chance you will have that Diva moment and you will want to laugh out loud to think there is any other option. :)

If you worry that you won''t be able to get it out once it''s in, don''t panic, for most women it should be very easily reachable but if it sits high and you feel that it might be unreachable just bare down like you''re going to the bathroom and it will come down where you can get two fingers around the bottom of the cup, then just squeeze and pull and you will hear the suction break it''s seal, squeezing the base can break the seal as well then just pull out (don''t be too surprised to find that it doesn''t spill all over the place) dump, rinse and put it back and get back to your life.

Don''t let your period own you - DivaCup it and tend to it when it''s convenient for you!

You''d be surprised to see what you''re flow is really like :)

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 12:43:48 PM
Author: Octavia
It does look scary until you actually start using it. You do fold it in on itself, and it pops open once it''s inserted -- then you give it a little twist to ''lock'' it into place. I was very aware of it the first cycle I used it, though it was much better once I trimmed off most of the stem. Since I got used to it, I really don''t notice it at all. I''ve tried both Diva Cup and Instead (which are similar, but shaped differently and are not reusable) and I HATED Instead -- they didn''t fit well with my body and leaked all over the place. Ick. I''ve never had a leak with the Diva Cup, and now that I''ve been using it for awhile, I find it very comfortable and secure. I don''t think I could ever go back to tampons!

There was another thread about this awhile back, too...I''m too lazy to search right now, but if I have a chance later, I''ll try to get the link.

Octavia good explanation :) It''s not as scary as it seems. REALLY :) :)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember reading about this a while back..I bookmarked the website but that''s all the farther I''ve gotten.

I use Nuva Ring for my birth control-would that mess with it at all? My period is only like 2 days long and pretty light since I''ve been on Nuva Ring but still I think I might like to give it a try. I can''t stand pads, even panty liners drive me crazy (I just feel dirty using them), and I hate when I use tampons and my period is really light-it downright hurts to change it.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Packrat, I use NuvaRing, too -- just not both at the same time! No problems so far.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Packrat,

I think you'd find DivaCup convenient. It really feels and just is SO much cleaner and even if you're lady days are light and short DivaCup is definitely the way to go. If you give it a try, let us know what you think :)

Here are the FAQs from the DivaCup website for anyone interested. Packrat, if you click on "Your First Questions!" you will be able to read more about using DivaCup with NuvaRing. :)

missjae

Shiny_Rock
drk - I Googled The Keeper and it's "Moon Cup" version looks like it could be DivaCup's sister as it too is made out of medical grade silicone except with a longer stem and the original "The Keeper" is just a little different, being brown and made out of latex. Thank you for mentioning it :) I have to add what I think is really fun about the DivaCup is that it comes with a cute little purple with pink satchel and Diva pin to store it in when you're not using it, it also has little measuring marks inside the cup for you to see what's really going on. Out of curiosity drk, does the Keeper measure and have something to store it in as well?

Here are both websites to check out and compare :)

The Keeper Website

The DivaCup Website

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I swear I can be talked into trying anything on this forum! I just ordered one and I''m 47. I''d love to be "freer" than I am currently with lady business. Even if it is only for a few years. We''ll see. I talked to my daughter (22) about it, and she''s not onboard atm. If it works for me, I''m sure she''ll quickly follow suit.

Do you always use the Divacup brand rinse, or is there a home equivalent?

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 2:48:17 PM
Author: lyra
I swear I can be talked into trying anything on this forum! I just ordered one and I''m 47. I''d love to be ''freer'' than I am currently with lady business. Even if it is only for a few years. We''ll see. I talked to my daughter (22) about it, and she''s not onboard atm. If it works for me, I''m sure she''ll quickly follow suit.

LOL Lyra, I am turning 42 next month and wondered if I was too old to try this! I''m tempted to try it too...still on the fence about ordering one! And I agree, the women on this site are very informed about all kinds of interesting and helpful things!!!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my keepers over 10 years ago, so they may have changed. They do have inner markings for volume, but I'm not sure that they say how much each is worth. Would be easy enough to test out what a Tbsp fills to and keep track that way. They did also come in a little fabric pouch for storage.

Glad to see some of you are game to try something new! Except on my heaviest of days (where it gets so full there has to be a little spillage when pulling it out, it's pretty much mess free. Thousand times better than pads, and way better than tampons too.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you can use the Keeper for a long time, is that true?

I believe that I read somewhere that I should replace my DivaCup every year. If the Keeper can be used longer I may have to convert.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
I swear I can be talked into trying anything on this forum! I just ordered one and I''m 47. I''d love to be ''freer'' than I am currently with lady business. Even if it is only for a few years. We''ll see. I talked to my daughter (22) about it, and she''s not onboard atm. If it works for me, I''m sure she''ll quickly follow suit.

Lyra, I use the Diva brand rinse right now, but I don''t wash with it every time, I use it first thing in the morning and before I go to bed at night, if for some reason I rinse any other time I just rinse it really well with warm water. I also have a little tupperware type dish, the size you would put salad dressing in kept in the bathroom that I sit out on the counter to set my DivaCup in after it''s been rinsed until I am ready to insert it. I then just take it out, reach over and run it again under warm water (for comfort) and put it back in. That''s awesome that you''re going to give it a try! A family member of mine just started using DivaCup as well and she is 46 with light flow that lasts only 2-3 days. :)

I am interested to know what everyone else is using to wash it.

To those of you sitting on the fence still about it, I say give it a try. You might soon find yourself asking why you even hesitated! :) When my Diva days come around I now find myself saying thinking, what period?! and when the week is done, it''s like..."that''s it?!" hehe It''s a completely different experience :)

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 5:10:53 PM
Author: missjae

Lyra, I use the Diva brand rinse right now, but I don''t wash with it every time, I use it first thing in the morning and before I go to bed at night, if for some reason I rinse any other time I just rinse it really well with warm water. I also have a little tupperware type dish, the size you would put salad dressing in kept in the bathroom that I sit out on the counter to set my DivaCup in after it''s been rinsed until I am ready to insert it. I then just take it out, reach over and run it again under warm water (for comfort) and put it back in. That''s awesome that you''re going to give it a try! A family member of mine just started using DivaCup as well and she is 46 with light flow that lasts only 2-3 days. :)

To those of you sitting on the fence still about it, I say give it a try. You might soon find yourself asking why you even hesitated! :) When my Diva days come around I now find myself saying thinking, what period?! and when the week is done, it''s like...''that''s it?!'' hehe It''s a completely different experience :)

I just have totally horrible cramps and am concerned I would be even more uncomfortable for some reason...any advice on that? Can it make cramps worse?

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 3:09:32 PM
Author: Haven
It sounds like you can use the Keeper for a long time, is that true?

I believe that I read somewhere that I should replace my DivaCup every year. If the Keeper can be used longer I may have to convert.

Haven, I''m wondering if the Keeper lasts longer because it is made of a brown latex. Perhaps DivaCup and The Keeper''s "Moon Cup" have to be replaced more often because they are a clear medical grade silicone? (not sure if the Moon Cup has to be replaced that frequently, just guessing it might) Hmmmm - I will have to look into that. I myself will stay with DivaCup I think, $40 a year is still incredibly cheaper than the amount spent on lady products. :)

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Sorry if it''s TMI, but I generally clean the Diva when I take my morning shower and it works well for me. They also say to boil it at the end of the cycle and store it in the pouch until you need it again, but I usually boil it again the day I''m expecting a new cycle to start, just in case it got dusty or something...I''m a bit of a chicken that way. But after the boiling, it seems sanitary enough for me.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 11:55:28 PM
Packrat, I use NuvaRing, too -- just not both at the same time! No problems so far.

haha that probably sounded dumb didn''t it? My thing is, I take the ring out Monday night and my period doesn''t usually come until Friday, and the new ring goes in Monday and my period isn''t always done. Sometimes the tampons bring the ring out too, so I thought I better check!

I really think I need to look into this more-just seems like such a good idea!

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 5:18:48 PM
Author: Ara Ann
Date: 9/30/2009 5:10:53 PM

To those of you sitting on the fence still about it, I say give it a try. You might soon find yourself asking why you even hesitated! :) When my Diva days come around I now find myself saying thinking, what period?! and when the week is done, it''s like...''that''s it?!'' hehe It''s a completely different experience :)

I just have totally horrible cramps and am concerned I would be even more uncomfortable for some reason...any advice on that? Can it make cramps worse?

My sister and I both have absolutely miserable cramps, hers because of PCOS and I''m not sure what is up with me quite yet (maybe it''s a twin thing, sympathy pain or something hehe), but we both have noticed less pain since using the DivaCup, perhaps because it sits low and acts as a catcher and doesn''t put the pressure on your internal lady bits that a tampon can. As invasive as it might seem at first glance, it really is the least invasive method and my sister was concerned that maybe it would make things worse for her too until she tried it and was surprised to find it was the opposite. The thought of using tampons and or pads is absolutely horrific to me now. No more leaks, no odor - and if you take something for the cramps it feels like no more period :)

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 8:13:07 PM
Author: packrat

haha that probably sounded dumb didn''t it? My thing is, I take the ring out Monday night and my period doesn''t usually come until Friday, and the new ring goes in Monday and my period isn''t always done. Sometimes the tampons bring the ring out too, so I thought I better check!

Packrat, that definitely did not sound dumb. It''s a completely legit question, and that''s why they have it with the answer in their FAQs :)

"The DivaCup is worn low at the base of the vagina and is away from the cervix, it should not interfere with your Nuvaring®.

There is a possibility that the NuvaRing® can become dislodged while using any kind of internal feminine hygiene protection. Consequently, we recommend that you consult your physician before use of any kind of internal feminine hygiene product, including a menstrual cup.

Many of our customers use The DivaCup and the Nuvaring® simultaneously and have not reported any problems"

missjae

Shiny_Rock
For the ladies concerned about discomfort upon insertion, even though I posted that I prefer to run the DivaCup under warm water before inserting it I thought I should mention that my Mother whom is 46 years old finds it easier to insert after putting a little bit of water based lubricant along the rim. I know we''re all a little different than each other and also our lady bits change as we age so warm water might not do the trick for everyone.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2009 7:37:10 AM
Date: 9/30/2009 8:13:07 PM

Author: packrat

Packrat, that definitely did not sound dumb. It''s a completely legit question, and that''s why they have it with the answer in their FAQs :)

''The DivaCup is worn low at the base of the vagina and is away from the cervix, it should not interfere with your Nuvaring®.

There is a possibility that the NuvaRing® can become dislodged while using any kind of internal feminine hygiene protection. Consequently, we recommend that you consult your physician before use of any kind of internal feminine hygiene product, including a menstrual cup.

Many of our customers use The DivaCup and the Nuvaring® simultaneously and have not reported any problems''

*clears throat* so um..maybe I shoulda just read the FAQ''s eh? hahaha I''m so lazy! Thanks for the info!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/1/2009 7:31:29 AM
Date: 9/30/2009 5:18:48 PM

Author: Ara Ann

My sister and I both have absolutely miserable cramps, hers because of PCOS and I''m not sure what is up with me quite yet (maybe it''s a twin thing, sympathy pain or something hehe), but we both have noticed less pain since using the DivaCup, perhaps because it sits low and acts as a catcher and doesn''t put the pressure on your internal lady bits that a tampon can. As invasive as it might seem at first glance, it really is the least invasive method and my sister was concerned that maybe it would make things worse for her too until she tried it and was surprised to find it was the opposite. The thought of using tampons and or pads is absolutely horrific to me now. No more leaks, no odor - and if you take something for the cramps it feels like no more period :)

Thanks for the info about cramps...I may just have to try one now. I used their retailer search and found a local store who carries them! If they have some in stock, I may be taking a trip over there this week!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results