shape
carat
color
clarity

DivaCup (Warning: Lady Business Content)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the Diva cup! It''s a bit intimidating at first and it took me a few days to find a comfortable and effective way to insert it, but I love how practical, discreet and comfortable, and I love all the money and waste I''m saving! I guess I''ll have to buy a new one after the baby arrives, but I still got to use the other one for a couple of years.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I also have PCOS and the thought of lessened cramps seems very appealing. I''ve been using gross pads as my main means of control for a few years now. The tampons were putting too much pressure inside.

Is there anything more disgusting than a used pad??
14.gif

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
okay missjae- I read the thread this morning and went out to look for a divacup but couln''t find one. I came home and ordered one online. I am 49 -I don''t know
how long I will be doing this monthly thing but I will be glad not to have to go seaching for tampons! I generally have to use two ob''s at night and sometimes
have to get up and replace-does it work for all night?

Nothing worse than a middle of the night leak!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Luv2sparkle, the cup holds quite a lot of liquid...much more than a tampon. It also has markings inside so you can track how much is in the cup each time, which sounds gross but can be really useful for doctors to know if you have any health issues. If it's positioned correctly, you don't have to worry about leaks, and I think the only time I ever had a teeny leak was the very first time I used it. You won't know for sure until you try it, but I think the literature actually makes the point that you're far less likely to have overnight leaks because the cup forms a tight seal until you release it in the morning.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/1/2009 7:29:57 PM
Author: Octavia
Luv2sparkle, the cup holds quite a lot of liquid...much more than a tampon. It also has markings inside so you can track how much is in the cup each time, which sounds gross but can be really useful for doctors to know if you have any health issues. If it''s positioned correctly, you don''t have to worry about leaks, and I think the only time I ever had a teeny leak was the very first time I used it. You won''t know for sure until you try it, but I think the literature actually makes the point that you''re far less likely to have overnight leaks because the cup forms a tight seal until you release it in the morning.

I use mine during the night and no leaks either :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 5:36:12 PM
Author: missjae
Date: 9/30/2009 3:09:32 PM
Author: Haven
It sounds like you can use the Keeper for a long time, is that true?

I believe that I read somewhere that I should replace my DivaCup every year. If the Keeper can be used longer I may have to convert.
Haven, I''m wondering if the Keeper lasts longer because it is made of a brown latex. Perhaps DivaCup and The Keeper''s ''Moon Cup'' have to be replaced more often because they are a clear medical grade silicone? (not sure if the Moon Cup has to be replaced that frequently, just guessing it might) Hmmmm - I will have to look into that. I myself will stay with DivaCup I think, $40 a year is still incredibly cheaper than the amount spent on lady products. :)
I bet you''re right about why the Keeper lasts longer.

The DivaCup is definitely an affordable method, that''s for sure. My main concern is waste though, not cost. I know it''s only one thing a year, but it''s still more wasteful than a product that could be used for multiple years. I''ll have to check into the Keeper when my year is up.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/2/2009 2:46:36 AM
Date: 9/30/2009 5:36:12 PM

Date: 9/30/2009 3:09:32 PM

It sounds like you can use the Keeper for a long time, is that true?

I believe that I read somewhere that I should replace my DivaCup every year. If the Keeper can be used longer I may have to convert.

Haven, I''m wondering if the Keeper lasts longer because it is made of a brown latex. Perhaps DivaCup and The Keeper''s ''Moon Cup'' have to be replaced more often because they are a clear medical grade silicone? (not sure if the Moon Cup has to be replaced that frequently, just guessing it might) Hmmmm - I will have to look into that. I myself will stay with DivaCup I think, $40 a year is still incredibly cheaper than the amount spent on lady products. :)

I bet you''re right about why the Keeper lasts longer.

The DivaCup is definitely an affordable method, that''s for sure. My main concern is waste though, not cost. I know it''s only one thing a year, but it''s still more wasteful than a product that could be used for multiple years. I''ll have to check into the Keeper when my year is up.

That''s a very good point Haven. Waste reduction is a very important concern. After comparing the two products at their respective web sites I see that the gum rubber latex of the Keeper is what makes it last 10 times longer than the silicone and so would be a good option if you are waste conscious and of course not allergic to latex :)

I find for some reason to be a little more comfortable with the DivaCup brand after reading both websites, as it is approved by Health Canada (I''m Canadian) and the FDA whereas the Keeper seems to be approved only by the FDA. The Diva brand also stresses repeatedly that they use the highest quality of medical grade silicone and it might sound silly but I feel like they have a better website filled with more information about their products including the extensive FAQ categories.

The Diva brand however does not include a gum latex option like the Keeper does and cannot promise life expectancy past one year of their product so when it comes to waste reduction, the Keeper is the better choice. Having compared both sites and FAQs myself, I feel even more confident in the DivaCup and happy with my choice. Of course every woman has to make the decision that is right for them and their needs and concerns and so it''s nice to see another company that can provide alternate material products with better environment-friendly benefits :)

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/1/2009 7:45:55 AM
For the ladies concerned about discomfort upon insertion, even though I posted that I prefer to run the DivaCup under warm water before inserting it I thought I should mention that my Mother whom is 46 years old finds it easier to insert after putting a little bit of water based lubricant along the rim. I know we''re all a little different than each other and also our lady bits change as we age so warm water might not do the trick for everyone.

After having read all of the FAQs on the DivaCup website I want to add to this post to say that according to the Diva brand, it is NOT recommended to use water-based lubricant with this product as it may break down the material. Using water-based lubricant is a personal choice and if you decide to try it, use it at your own risk. I will be sure to inform my Momma about this new found information in the morning :)

"Q. Can I use a water-based lubricant to insert The DivaCup?
A. Some lubricant ingredients can be damaging to the silicone, so we suggest using only water as a lubricant! Otherwise, the silicone may be compromised and may ruin the cup."

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Okay - props to you adventurous ladies. The thought of this thing skeeves me out.
40.gif

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m on the fence. Grossed out on one hand. And thrilled at the idea of no more used pads.

I''d like to hear how it works for those of you who just got one. It would be interesting to read the thoughts of someone new to DivaCup. First time experiences etc.

Medical grade silicone sounds much better to me. If I''m going to shove something in my body I''d like to be certain that what is in it won''t cause problems in my body.

Here is a question for those of you already using it:

I use NuvaRing and it causes me to be a little dry. I had to quit using tampons because it was uncomfortable to put them in and MISERABLE to take them out. Will this be an issue with DivaCup?

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/2/2009 5:28:53 PM
Author: TooPatient
I''m on the fence. Grossed out on one hand. And thrilled at the idea of no more used pads.

I''d like to hear how it works for those of you who just got one. It would be interesting to read the thoughts of someone new to DivaCup. First time experiences etc.

Medical grade silicone sounds much better to me. If I''m going to shove something in my body I''d like to be certain that what is in it won''t cause problems in my body.

Here is a question for those of you already using it:

I use NuvaRing and it causes me to be a little dry. I had to quit using tampons because it was uncomfortable to put them in and MISERABLE to take them out. Will this be an issue with DivaCup?

I''m still new to DivaCup as I''ve used it for only one cycle so far, but as you can tell by how crazy about it I am, it has made a huge impact on me! I''m not a NuvaRing user so I can''t input on how the two work together, but, I can say that for myself DivaCup is way easier to insert and remove than a tampon is especially after being run under warm water. No scratchy tearing feeling.

I can see why you would be grossed out, but it''s really not as gross as you would inititally think. :)

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/1/2009 7:16:08 PM
Author: luv2sparkle
okay missjae- I read the thread this morning and went out to look for a divacup but couln''t find one. I came home and ordered one online. I am 49 -I don''t know

how long I will be doing this monthly thing but I will be glad not to have to go seaching for tampons! I generally have to use two ob''s at night and sometimes

have to get up and replace-does it work for all night?

Nothing worse than a middle of the night leak!

Ooh I am excited for you :) Let us know how it goes :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissJae--You are a wealth of information! Thank you for sharing everything you''ve learned about these products, I really appreciate it.

TooPatient--I''ve only been using the DivaCup for a few months, and I took to it very well. It was extremely easy to use, and the only time I had any issues was the very first time I tried it. I didn''t make sure that the cup was totally opened up once it was in, and so it leaked a teensy bit. But, after that, I''ve been using it correctly and I''ve never had any leaks since. It''s really wonderful, and I love that I''m not wasting all those tampons anymore, as that was something that really weighed on my conscience.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I've done a bunch more researching and found a community with tons of information here. There are also youtube videos that are extremely informative, and a livejournal community with more advice.

Things I've found out:

You don't have to replace your DivaCup every year. Previously it was recommended every 10 years, and there was an uproar when the policy on the DivaCup site was "changed". Most women do not replace them yearly, as the medical grade silicone used is the same used in medical pieces like heart valve stents that last indefinitely. It is believed that this change in written policy is in place partly for liability reasons, and partly to sell more product. So you can decide for yourself. Also, silicone is recyclable so DivaCups can be recycled.

You don't have to use Diva Wash. Unscented Dove liquid soap is most recommended as an alternative. Also, it is possible to sanitize your cup by several means, not just by boiling monthly.

There are *many* different cups out there, so if one doesn't work, there are lots of alternatives. Hope this helps.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I give up-I''m going to order it! Is it sad that I''m like..excited to try it??? What a boring life I have!

I was thinking, this would be nice too for when you know your period is coming, but you don''t know *exactly* when. Mine generally comes late Thursday or early Friday morning-the wee hours of the morning. And I''ve had times at work when it was impossible to get to the bathroom when I really needed to and I sooo dislike that! Every 12 hours or so would be so much better!

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/3/2009 5:04:31 PM
Author: lyra
So, I''ve done a bunch more researching and found a community with tons of information here. There are also youtube videos that are extremely informative, and a livejournal community with more advice.

Things I''ve found out:

You don''t have to replace your DivaCup every year. Previously it was recommended every 10 years, and there was an uproar when the policy on the DivaCup site was ''changed''. Most women do not replace them yearly, as the medical grade silicone used is the same used in medical pieces like heart valve stents that last indefinitely. It is believed that this change in written policy is in place partly for liability reasons, and partly to sell more product. So you can decide for yourself. Also, silicone is recyclable so DivaCups can be recycled.

You don''t have to use Diva Wash. Unscented Dove liquid soap is most recommended as an alternative. Also, it is possible to sanitize your cup by several means, not just by boiling monthly.

There are *many* different cups out there, so if one doesn''t work, there are lots of alternatives. Hope this helps.

Lyra, you rock! Thank you for posting all of that information :) It is very helpful!

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Packrat I was excited to try mine for the first time too. I thought maybe I was crazy for looking forward to such a thing :)

I am in my second cycle now with the DivaCup and am still amazed by the convenience. Today I rinsed and re-inserted in the shower for the first time and it was super convenient and made me feel so much cleaner. Day one is usually very heavy for me and when showering, even the few minutes of towel drying and getting to the lady products always made me feel dirty again and was sometimes messy. Not this time. I just emptied it in the potty, rinsed it in the shower and put it back in after I was done washing and no leaks, no dripping and I could towel dry knowing that it wasn''t going to be messy or disgusting.

I cannot get over how clean I feel using the DivaCup. All I have to do is manage the pain, it''s nice not worrying about leaks (still feels a little weird not having to use pads, as I had to with tampons, even the SUPERS because I always had terrible leaking, and couldn''t just use one or the other because it didn''t control the mess alone) and it''s also nice not having to worry about timing bathroom breaks.

I am one of three women living in my house and we all use the DivaCup now and I cannot tell you how much our bathroom waste has been reduced. No more icky bathroom garbage! I''m headed to bed now and even though I have cramps, I will take something for the pain, fill up my hot water bottle and go to sleep with not a single worry of leaking in the night (I can roll around like a mad woman or sleep like a star fish if I want to!) and no worry or panic about sleeping past the time I would have had to wake to use the bathroom if I were using other lady products.

What a brilliant invention! I feel so free and clean! :)

clammer

Shiny_Rock
I found the diva cup very uncomfortable the first few days until I cut off the tip. For everyone that is just starting to use it, if you can feel it try cutting off the tip portion.

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/5/2009 4:41:06 AM
Author: Rebot
I found the diva cup very uncomfortable the first few days until I cut off the tip. For everyone that is just starting to use it, if you can feel it try cutting off the tip portion.

I trimmed my tip too, for comfort

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got mine and am using it. Fabulous! No problems at all. No trimming required (we''re all different). I have to say, watching all those videos and reading all the info made it a breeze. This is a great invention. Too bad I waited so long to try it!
2.gif

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Yay Lyra! I''m glad you''re happy with the DivaCup :) Was it easy for you from the get go or did it take some getting used to?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Removal is still a learning experience for sure. Insertion was easy. I used the punchdown fold and have no issues with it. I am so happy with the idea, I have already ordered 2 other new cups to try: the LadyCup (purple large) and a Lunette (blue large). It''s like DSS--once you get one, you want another one, a different colour, smaller (opposite of DSS i guess), softer, whatever!!
2.gif

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/5/2009 10:57:22 PM
Author: lyra
Removal is still a learning experience for sure. Insertion was easy. I used the punchdown fold and have no issues with it. I am so happy with the idea, I have already ordered 2 other new cups to try: the LadyCup (purple large) and a Lunette (blue large). It's like DSS--once you get one, you want another one, a different colour, smaller (opposite of DSS i guess), softer, whatever!!
2.gif

I peeked at the LadyCup and Lunette Cup websites, they look a lot like the DivaCup :) I wonder how they all differ, let us know what you think of them :)

Lunette Cup Website
LadyCup Website

missjae

Shiny_Rock
I tried out the fold in half insertion and think I might like it best. :)

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Ok I have a question about these products. I read on one website that the cup is supposed to suction to your cervix but another product''s website said it is supposed to sit lower. So which is it!?

And does anyone ever scratch themselves putting it in? That worries me...

missjae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 1:28:00 PM
Author: oobiecoo
Ok I have a question about these products. I read on one website that the cup is supposed to suction to your cervix but another product's website said it is supposed to sit lower. So which is it!?

And does anyone ever scratch themselves putting it in? That worries me...

"The DivaCup is worn low at the base of the vagina and is away from the cervix" that is quoted from The DivaCup Website

If you have any questions, check out:

http://www.divacup.com/en/home/faqs/

As for scratching, I have gel nails and haven't had any problems with scratching myself. When inserting you essentially guide the DivaCup into place pushing from the base of the cup one the folded end is inserted and even with removal you grab from the bottom of the cup so your fingers and nails grasp the cup and not yourself. There is no digging involved or anything like that - if the DivaCup sits higher once it's inserted, if you just bare down a little it will push the bottom of the cup towards the opening and you can then get a hold of it, or use you can grab the tip for removal. I trimmed my tip off for comfort so I use the base of the cup for removal.

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
My darling sister, what a great thread! You know I cannot say enough good things about The Diva Cup! It is thanks to the Pricescope community that I was even brave enough to try it in the first place, and I must say it is life changing. With PCOS and undetermined length of cycles, and cramps and all of the fun stuff that goes along with it it has been so nice to find a product that is not only good for the environment but is so simple easy and mess free to use. I will admit that the first time I tried it I got a little stressed out and had a "go back to what I know" moment, but when I calmed down and tried it again it was like WOW! this thing is a miracle worker. I just love it so much and I think every woman at least owes it to herself to try it out, because I can honestly say that in my opinion I think the majority of women would find this product unbelievable.
36.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I don''t get my lady time, but am interested in this for my stepdaughter. The bathroom trash is filled with lady issue mess and it grosses me out. One question that I have and maybe it is something that I should know, but on average how much liquid is released per day. Like is it a lot or does it just seem like a lot. Because I am thinking that at the angle required to get it out it could spill.

I guess my questions is for the ladies that currently use it that have a moderate to heavy flow how full is it after about 8 hours?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Radiant, according to the FAQs on the website, "The DivaCup holds one full ounce and the average women only flows about three to four ounces in her entire cycle. For most women, the cup is not even half full after 12 hours....Women with heavy flows will simply need to empty the cup more often." From my experience, I think the quote is accurate. I guess it could spill while taking it out, but I don't think it's a huge concern and it can/should be removed someplace where spills are just flushed away, if they happen.

I Love My Sailor

Shiny_Rock
After reading this post, the first thing I did was go out and buy a divacup :) it came in the mail last night. I was a little unsure of exactly how far to insert my Divacup. I inserted just far enough to be able to reach the stem easily . I could barely feel it at all, it was very comfortable! when it came time to take it out, I found it a little difficult. Its not easy like a tampon and you have to work its way out gently. So far I love it. I''m still paranoid weather I am inserting properly but its comfortable and I haven''t had any leakage. I must say that fold number 2 is much better!! I have not even been using my DC for 24 hour and I am sure that I have been missing out all these years on a safer, more comfortable way to handle your period thats much less costly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results