shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointed with my Tiffany ring....opinions please?

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
3736DE15-9B6E-4EA4-85F1-E3443F86970E.jpeg 82C49354-8EFF-4B3A-B448-117D65CA51CA.jpeg DD22528F-B924-4167-864C-0E30B9B1DA03.jpeg
Hello everyone!
This is my first post. I’ve been married for 21 years and have always wanted a solitaire. My engagement ring was an 1ct eternity ring because that was all we could afford at the time. For our 10th anniversary I upgraded to a .88ct old European cut antique diamond ring which I wore and loved for 10 years. But I still thought about that 1+ carat solitaire....

Fast forward to our 20th anniversary, but before I found PriceScope, I upgraded to a pre-loved 1.18 VS1 G Tiffany solitaire as I thought that was the best of the best.....
Well after reading tons of posts here on Pricescope, learning about the HCA, True Hearts Ideal diamonds and Whiteflash’s ACA’s, I now wish I had found Pricescope before my Tiffany purchase.

I’ve been going back and forth for a few months now on whether or not to try and sell my Tiffany solitaire and purchase an ACA Whiteflash diamond. My solitaire is sparkly but it’s not a fireball as many of you describe your diamonds.

What I’m wondering is if there would be a noticeable difference between my diamond and a Whiteflash ACA diamond?
What really depressed me was when I plugged in the numbers on the HCA. :cry2: a rating of 3.4....:( what a disappointment.

Any advice or opinions would greatly be appreciated.

First picture is my antique .88ct diamond ring and second picture is the Tiffany solitaire with the etoile band.

Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah, that's a pretty high crown angle. No doubt in my mind a super-ideal will look markedly better than this Tiffany.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Weecam first - welcome to PS!

You have a wonderful diamond journey and congrats on 21 years of marriage!

The HCA tool, while very helpful, it is not without its limitations. It is especially harsh on what we call steep/deep diamonds (steeper crown and pavilion angles). You diamond has a crown angle of 35.5 and a pavilion angle of 41 degrees and will fall into that category. However, looking at your diamond based on the pic you have shared, it appears to a very white stone with nice contrast pattern. It is also a Tiffany ring, so even if you want to change it up, it should be easier to sell it since there is always demand for Tiffany classics.

If you want to see more of your diamonds performance, you can purchase an aset tool on your own and post the pics here. https://datlas.com/ideal-scope-store/aset-scope/

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We’re you unhappy with your diamond before you learned about the HCA?

Have you actually seen a diamond that has a score below 2 on the hca perform next to your diamond?

Have you specifically seen performance issues or are you under the impression there are because you read there should be performance issues?

What will you do when people here say “look you could have gotten this whiteflash diamond for cheaper?” - just be sad about your purchase or are you planning to take action?

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We’re you unhappy with your diamond before you learned about the HCA?

Have you actually seen a diamond that has a score below 2 on the hca perform next to your diamond?

Have you specifically seen performance issues or are you under the impression there are because you read there should be performance issues?

What will you do when people here say “look you could have gotten this whiteflash diamond for cheaper?” - just be sad about your purchase or are you planning to take action?

Thank you for your reply!
I wasn’t unhappy about the Tiffany ring when I received it but I wasn’t blown away...

No I have never seen a diamond below 2 on the HCA...wouldn’t know where to go for that. I’m in Quebec, Canada.

I don’t know if it has performance issues. I just don’t think it sparkles like crazy. It looks the best in an elevator, at Costco and at the grocery store.....

If people tell me I could get something much better I think I will list it on eBay and hope for the best. It would be nice not to lose too much money. I’m glad I bought it pre-loved and not brand new!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I believe there will be a large difference in fire between your stone and an ACA or a CBI from high performance diamonds.

How do you clean your ring and how often?

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Weecam first - welcome to PS!

You have a wonderful diamond journey and congrats on 21 years of marriage!

The HCA tool, while very helpful, it is not without its limitations. It is especially harsh on what we call steep/deep diamonds (steeper crown and pavilion angles). You diamond has a crown angle of 35.5 and a pavilion angle of 41 degrees and will fall into that category. However, looking at your diamond based on the pic you have shared, it appears to a very white stone with nice contrast pattern. It is also a Tiffany ring, so even if you want to change it up, it should be easier to sell it since there is always demand for Tiffany classics.

If you want to see more of your diamonds performance, you can purchase an aset tool on your own and post the pics here. https://datlas.com/ideal-scope-store/aset-scope/

Thanks so much!

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, I believe there will be a large difference in fire between your stone and an ACA or a CBI from high performance diamonds.

How do you clean your ring and how often?

Thanks for your reply!

It’s funny you should ask. I just ordered and received the Magnasonic Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner from amazon because of the recommendations here on Pricescope. I used it for the first time yesterday. I’ve always cleaned my rings often with a soft toothbrush and Dawn dish soap so I don’t think it made much difference with the solitaire. It did however clean my eternity rings better!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your reply!

It’s funny you should ask. I just ordered and received the Magnasonic Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner from amazon because of the recommendations here on Pricescope. I used it for the first time yesterday. I’ve always cleaned my rings often with a soft toothbrush and Dawn dish soap so I don’t think it made much difference with the solitaire. It did however clean my eternity rings better!

The appraiser I used puts 140 degree F water with mr clean citrus. I thought my rings were ultrasonic clean and he still ran them 2-3 more times in his.

Run it again with hot water.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked it up and it seems that the Helmsley’s near me carries Hearts on Fire.

Thanks so much for the suggestion!
Go. Visit. And compare your diamond to theirs (not a random GIA stone they select) under natural light. Get away from the lights that are overhead on the cases. If you like the HOF, come back and let us know. We can help you find something better likely for way less. HOF is sometimes called "wallets on fire" :whistle:

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Go. Visit. And compare your diamond to theirs (not a random GIA stone they select) under natural light. Get away from the lights that are overhead on the cases. If you like the HOF, come back and let us know. We can help you find something better likely for way less. HOF is sometimes called "wallets on fire" :whistle:
:lol:

I have a stupid question....do I walk to the window to get the natural light? :think: Not sure if they would be thrilled with that.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol:

I have a stupid question....do I walk to the window to get the natural light? :think: Not sure if they would be thrilled with that.
That's exactly what you do. You say you would like to view the diamond under natural light. If the store is inside a mall (and windowless), they may ask for a credit card and driver's license to act as security and will accompany you if you need to leave the store. If they don't allow you to leave the store, just walk away from the lights directly over the cases. Again, with their permission. Look for an area where you don't see directional LED lighting.

This is a King of Prussia HOF store, as an example. The red show the lights to avoid. I'd walk to the outside window and get between those outside mall windows and the pole.

upload_2018-2-15_20-58-47.png

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you liked the OEC better, maybe you prefer OECs over modern rounds.

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's exactly what you do. You say you would like to view the diamond under natural light. If the store is inside a mall (and windowless), they may ask for a credit card and driver's license to act as security and will accompany you if you need to leave the store. If they don't allow you to leave the store, just walk away from the lights directly over the cases. Again, with their permission. Look for an area where you don't see directional LED lighting.

This is a King of Prussia HOF store, as an example. The red show the lights to avoid. I'd walk to the outside window and get between those outside mall windows and the pole.

upload_2018-2-15_20-58-47.png

Thanks so much for your help! I’m going to try and go on the weekend .

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you liked the OEC better, maybe you prefer OECs over modern rounds.
I was wondering that too - OECs are often described as fireballs. OP have you looked at a larger old cut as an option for an upgrade?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have received excellent advice from everyone.
I'd try to thoroughly compare the tiffany stone to ideal cut diamonds in person.
Maybe also to bigger old cuts at a fancy estate jeweller in your area.

Maybe to your eyes your diamond is on par with the comparison diamonds.

HCA is suposed to be a rejection tool for online purchases, when you can't see the stone before buying it. If you prefer your stone in person, trust yourself.
As you already mentioned: IF you don't prefer your own ring after that, tiffany usually has a good resale value and it should be possible to recoup a larger percentages of your inital investment.

I understand your worries, but I think you are in a comfortable position to decide what yiu want to do next.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Tiffany have their own diamond grading and selection process.

I understand that they actually do not allow their rings to have diamonds that do not meet their own light performance and cut. So please do not have buyer's remorse and sell a beautiful ring. Many on this forum would be ecstatic a >1Ct Tiffany G, VS2!!!

Do not get hung up on number crunching and the HCA tool. IT is only used as a SCREENING tool. It is NOT a measure nor ever intended to be used to evaluate nor compare light performance. Only a visual inspection or light performance instrument (ASET, IS) can do that.

Wear the ring. Enjoy it. See it in different light. Compare it to others. And I'd expect yours to still outperform, outshine 99% of the rings on the market today. The Super-Ideals vs your Tiffany stone may be splitting hairs, and even if the super ideals are somewhat better - how much better is up for debate.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was wondering that too - OECs are often described as fireballs. OP have you looked at a larger old cut as an option for an upgrade?

This was my first thought when I read this. Maybe she likes bigger flashes and rainbows? It’s definitely a different flavor so if that’s her jam the MRB won’t do it whether it’s super ideal or not.

I second having a look at a bigger OEC or maybe even an AVR!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was my first thought when I read this. Maybe she likes bigger flashes and rainbows? It’s definitely a different flavor so if that’s her jam the MRB won’t do it whether it’s super ideal or not.

I second having a look at a bigger OEC or maybe even an AVR!
I agree. I think when she can see her MRB and a HOF, she'll be clear. If they both fail to move her...she may be a old cut lover.

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for everyone’s replies! I’m reading every single one of them.

I do love my old European cut diamond. I’ve even contemplated resetting it as the setting it’s in now is an almost closed basket? Very hard to clean...going to try the magnasonic on it later today.
I had it evaluated years ago by an independent appraiser at Birks and it’s a VS2 G. It was a very nice eBay find!

I also never thought DDS would set in after a year. It’s very real!:evil2:
I started to think if I could sell my 1.18 ct Tiffany brand ring and purchase a slightly larger ACA. Maybe 1.30 ct...
I’m actually embarrassed to write that...

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for everyone’s replies! I’m reading every single one of them.

I do love my old European cut diamond. I’ve even contemplated resetting it as the setting it’s in now is an almost closed basket? Very hard to clean...going to try the magnasonic on it later today.
I had it evaluated years ago by an independent appraiser at Birks and it’s a VS2 G. It was a very nice eBay find!

I also never thought DDS would set in after a year. It’s very real!:evil2:
I started to think if I could sell my 1.18 ct Tiffany brand ring and purchase a slightly larger ACA. Maybe 1.30 ct...
I’m actually embarrassed to write that...
We share the DSS. If you decide that you want to sell the Tiffany, how about turning your OEC into a three stone ring? You could find a match for your OEC for side stones. Then, work out what you want in the center. You get a lot of coverage from 3-stones and great light-shows (especially if the sides are tipped downward a bit). You can mix cuts with OECs or even have a halo.

I've always been partial to this Ritani setting.
upload_2018-2-16_10-9-18.png

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, I love your original OEC, and if given the opportunity to exchange my MRB to an OEC of the same size... I'd do it in a heartbeat. Old cuts are magical. :)

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We share the DSS. If you decide that you want to sell the Tiffany, how about turning your OEC into a three stone ring? You could find a match for your OEC for side stones. Then, work out what you want in the center. You get a lot of coverage from 3-stones and great light-shows (especially if the sides are tipped downward a bit). You can mix cuts with OECs or even have a halo.

I've always been partial to this Ritani setting.
upload_2018-2-16_10-9-18.png

Thank you! I love antique settings. I love everything CVB makes. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results