shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointed with my Tiffany ring....opinions please?

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was looking back and I will say that I don't think I'd bother with the change unless you are going higher than 1.3 on the new stone. Because you'll find there's little visual difference in 1.18 and 1.3. WF sometimes has 1.4ct stones that are a great buy because they are close to 1.5 but don't carry the price premium.

I probably said this way earlier in the thread, I do have some Tiffany pieces. But never once has someone complimented me and I have said anything but "Thank you!". I'd never tell someone the brand of any of my jewelry unless they recognized something and asked. So the brand satisfaction has to be personal to me, and that is usually because I like the particular piece of jewelry. For a non-Tiffany example, my favorite branded piece is my gold VCA Alhambra bracelet. Only people familiar with VCA would know what it is, and no one else would have any idea. I love the bracelet because of it's design and beauty, not because of the brand. And related to Tiffany, I have been asked before in Tiffany if I wanted them to clean my ring, because they assumed it was Tiffany! So I think I have had the best of both worlds, great cut diamonds in the classic Tiffany style setting that even Tiffany employees think is Tiffany! I certainly correct them if they ask. I never try to misrepresent my jewelry.

On the "It's a Tiffany" comment I know it's directed at me, so I will comment. It seems everyone is so sensitive here about what people post, so I will elaborate.

OP, this is for you because as you can guess by now, I think you should keep your Tiffany because "Its a Tiffany" and it's gorgeous. Here is why..

When I get a compliment, all I say is Thank You. That's all that needs to be said. Jewelry is just for me, it's personal. I have other branded and non-branded pieces and no one knows (only my husband ,who also appreciates jewelry, and two close friends who have the same interest).

I researched diamonds for months before I decided. Using the formulas and math and tools, my head got fixated around a number and a price-value for the stone. When my brother said the comment on "It's a Tiffany", that rang a bell to me and helped me make my decision. Purchasing a diamond is not all about math.

Why? As I said earlier, I never wanted a Tiffany. I went to Tiffany last to prove to myself that Tiffany was overpriced for what I could get, and I don't need a Tiffany. However, I have always loved the allure of the brand. It is internationally known, has that classic prong and is gorgeous to me, and I have always admired it. I also have other Tiffany pieces just not a diamond ring, so I really asked myself why I did not want a Tiffany. The answer was simply... I did not want one because it was too expensive and not worth it. But... if it were cheaper, I would love to own a Tiffany diamond ring.

So that did it for me. Diamonds are an emotional purchase. Yes, price is a factor, math is a factor, and you can usually get a larger stone for less money. But emotion also plays a big role, and after my brother's comment "It's a Tiffany", I then knew I would be emotionally super happy with a Tiffany.

The fact that anyone is considering a Tiffany should think about the emotional happiness the Tiffany brand brings. And yes, I know most people who would never care about a Tiffany. I was one, I never thought I wanted one because it was "not worth it".

OP, you have a Tiffany, so there must be a reason why you purchased a Tiffany. Your ring is lovely. Among the millions of diamonds out there, yours is a Tiffany. Two other comments to help you make your decision:
- The Tiffany 6-prong setting is gorgeous to me. It is often copied, but never truly replicated. The graduation of the thin edge at the base of the head to the thicker band at the bottom makes the diamond shine. I wear my ring with the simple knife-edge band because I wanted to stare at my stone, not my setting. For me, I love a diamond all by itself and let the diamond be the star, not a blingy setting.
- If you resell your ring, a Tiffany holds a higher resale value. Yes... just because It's A Tiffany.

One last tidbit, my husband went with me to choose the exact ring (we had the SA bring in three rings). So everyone now and then when I get a compliment on my ring and the person is really interested and loves diamonds, my husband will say "It's a Tiffany and I help picked it out". I find that so cute and he is very proud of the ring that he purchased for me That itself is worth millions to me.

I feel this forum is biased against Tiffany ("it's not worth it"), hence my post to share my story.
I myself am so happy I have a Tiffany. I stare are my ring all the time, and it gives me an ear to ear grin.

I hope this helps in your decision.
Sheesh... I'm new to pricescope, and yet I write such long threads. My Bad! I think I will stop for now.

Good luck to you!

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel this forum is biased against Tiffany ("it's not worth it"), hence my post to share my story.Good luck to you!

I haven't been on this forum for that long, but I don't really sense any bias against Tiffany. On the flipside, the enthusiasm you have for Tiffany is really something! Perhaps they should hire you as a sales rep!

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure the forum is biased against Tiffany more they are for ideal cut. Sometimes Tiff, HW, Cartier, etc - are not exactly ideal cut.

So it boils down to personal preference.
I don’t have a Tiffany engagement ring, but if money were no object you bet I’d go in with the exact specs I wanted & but from them. I’ve loved Tiffany since I was a little girl. Every time I go to NYC I buy something there. I never tell anyone who compliments me “it’s Tiffany” just like I don’t float brand names if someone admires anything I own.

And some things from Tiffany are just special.
I have the Tiffany legacy in green tourmaline and the details in the setting plus the way the legacy stone is cut, for me it can’t be replicated.

Different strokes for different folks!

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
An idea to consider, now that you've decided to hang on to your Tiffany solitaire... Maybe a thinner wedding band? I ADORE the Etoile bands, but the thickness of it may be visually taking away from your gorgeous solitaire. A thinner band might better showcase the solitaire diamond and make it visually pop. Do you still have the diamond band you wear with your OEC? It may not be exactly the right fit but would give you an idea. Otherwise a coordinating knife-edge band from Tiffany may be an excellent option and certainly cost less than a diamond upgrade. And you could always hang onto the Etoile (seriously, LOVE those!) and wear on casual, dress down days.

ETA: Aaaah, I just realized that is what your avatar is! And to my eyes your solitaire looks bigger with the smaller diamond band, but I'd also love to see a better pic of it. :)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't been on this forum for that long, but I don't really sense any bias against Tiffany. On the flipside, the enthusiasm you have for Tiffany is really something! Perhaps they should hire you as a sales rep!

:D:D:D Having read a ton of posts on here I see a lot of appreciation for Tiffany's design, a lot of people who don't want to pay the Tiffany brand name premium, and a lot of people who want more control over choosing the best performing diamond (which Tiffany isn't really set up to do in the same way that some of the frequently recommended vendors here are). It's a mix of things. I wouldn't say a bias against Tiffany but a lot of frank discussion around getting value for your money - and perceptions of the added value of the brand name vary.

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:lol:
An idea to consider, now that you've decided to hang on to your Tiffany solitaire... Maybe a thinner wedding band? I ADORE the Etoile bands, but the thickness of it may be visually taking away from your gorgeous solitaire. A thinner band might better showcase the solitaire diamond and make it visually pop. Do you still have the diamond band you wear with your OEC? It may not be exactly the right fit but would give you an idea. Otherwise a coordinating knife-edge band from Tiffany may be an excellent option and certainly cost less than a diamond upgrade. And you could always hang onto the Etoile (seriously, LOVE those!) and wear on casual, dress down days.

ETA: Aaaah, I just realized that is what your avatar is! And to my eyes your solitaire looks bigger with the smaller diamond band, but I'd also love to see a better pic of it. :)

Yes I agree the etoile band is too thick...I have one. I also had the knife edge wedding band but I sold it as I wasn’t keen on it. It was too edgy? :lol:Lol I will get the plain 2mm wedding band.
82C49354-8EFF-4B3A-B448-117D65CA51CA.jpeg

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A45E3575-003B-4ADA-A354-230663F9CFF2.jpeg F599DA30-5354-4612-9E5B-9CE52E0BC32F.jpeg 01CC6A0D-DA55-4AFB-BABD-1A683DB8030E.jpeg
Sooo I finally went to Helmsley’s to check out the HOF diamonds. They didn’t have anything remotely close to my 1.18ct. The biggest diamond they had was in a halo setting and it was .74ct. It was very beautiful, and sparkly!...but not really a fair comparison as it had the halo. Sorry pictures are not very clear, although it’s clearly showing my dry hands :roll

I think I’m leaning more towards trying to sell my Tiffany ring and purchasing a larger ACA diamond. You people got me by saying that the diamond prices are on the low side right now....
I also have a big birthday coming up in May....:-o time flies when you have kids!

I also attached a picture of a very pretty garland HOF diamond ring. :geek2:
Two sizes too big but very nice indeed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HoF is overpriced but has great quality diamonds, so I am not really particularly biased against Tiffany. I just like to get what I am paying for! I like Tiffany and have some pieces (platinum and diamond cross, platinum and pearl dbty bracelet, 18k wg Tiffany key and long chain, Legacy wedding band, etc.), but I prefer top quality diamonds for rings and studs (and I can get larger, better cut stones for the same money). I didn't see the replies to my earlier post til now. I absolutely understand the allure of buying at Tiffany, Cartier, VCA, etc. and enjoy it myself for especially for pieces that are their original designs. If the brand is the most important factor to a person (over diamond cut and size), then I do understand buying a ring there. We have helped people here before to get one of the better cut stones because the brand was important to the recipient.

The HoF ring is beautiful! But you'll be much happier with WF prices should you decide to go that route! Good luck and let us know!

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HoF is overpriced but has great quality diamonds, so I am not really particularly biased against Tiffany. I just like to get what I am paying for! I like Tiffany and have some pieces (platinum and diamond cross, platinum and pearl dbty bracelet, 18k wg Tiffany key and long chain, Legacy wedding band, etc.), but I prefer top quality diamonds for rings and studs (and I can get larger, better cut stones for the same money). I didn't see the replies to my earlier post til now. I absolutely understand the allure of buying at Tiffany, Cartier, VCA, etc. and enjoy it myself for especially for pieces that are their original designs. If the brand is the most important factor to a person (over diamond cut and size), then I do understand buying a ring there. We have helped people here before to get one of the better cut stones because the brand was important to the recipient.

The HoF ring is beautiful! But you'll be much happier with WF prices should you decide to go that route! Good luck and let us know!

Yes I’m planning on going the Whiteflash route for sure! I just wanted to show you the HOF ring. I think I would rather have a bigger and better cut ACA diamond for a ring and perhaps a Tiffany band to go with it. :D
I’m just setting up a listing for my Tiffany solitaire ring....
It will probably take some time to sell it as there’s always a few up for sale.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I knew you were just looking at HoF for the cut! I just meant that I wasn't singling out Tiffany for being too high in price!

Good luck with your sale! You should do pretty well considering you bought second hand!

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I need opinions please! Someone is interested in purchasing the Tiffany solitaire on eBay but they don’t have any feedback!! The person just became a member today....Should I be worried?
They want me to send more pictures and they said they hope the ring is in great condition as I stated in the listing....
“I” think it’s in great condition with only surface scratching on the platinum. I never wear it for housework, gardening, shovelling etc. Actually I take my rings off at home because my hands are always in water! Two teen boys and three dogs! :geek2:
Please let me know what you think. :saint:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need opinions please! Someone is interested in purchasing the Tiffany solitaire on eBay but they don’t have any feedback!! The person just became a member today....Should I be worried?
They want me to send more pictures and they said they hope the ring is in great condition as I stated in the listing....
“I” think it’s in great condition with only surface scratching on the platinum. I never wear it for housework, gardening, shovelling etc. Actually I take my rings off at home because my hands are always in water! Two teen boys and three dogs! :geek2:
Please let me know what you think. :saint:

I would NEVER sell to a new buyer who just joined, huge red flag IMO.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kind of agree. Like who is looking on ebay but hasn't had an account before now. I might add to the listing that buyers have to have more than XX feedback or be willing to wire you the payment.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the advice provided above!

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would NEVER sell to a new buyer who just joined, huge red flag IMO.

That’s what I was thinking....
I’ve been on eBay for 16 years and have tons of feedback and I’ve never sold anything to someone with 0 feedback. Figures this would happen with my Tiffany ring. :roll Oh well...
I’ll reply back saying I can’t sell such a valuable item to a person with no feedback. Good thing he/she messaged before using the BIN!

Last edited:

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for your opinions! I appreciate it!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing to consider about 0 feedback on eBay. Perhaps the ring is a surprise. Hence the new eBay account. I’ve had this happen before.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kind of agree. Like who is looking on ebay but hasn't had an account before now. I might add to the listing that buyers have to have more than XX feedback or be willing to wire you the payment.
Just as a FYI: a wire payment requires making it an off-eBay sale, so both seller and buyer lose out on protections & dispute resolution processes otherwise afforded by eBay and PayPal.

Same result for installment payments. If you have a potential eBay buyer who wants to make payments over time, explain that's against eBay rules & decline. You can suggest as an alternative that they apply for, and use, the PayPal credit card; the link for that is part of every (I think) eBay listing.

Best of luck!!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well, you have to be extra, super careful if you do it. I smell fish based on their wording. Just not a good gut feeling.

That said of course they may be ok. You just do not know. I never bought anything on ebay. Friends with accounts did it for me but very rarely.

OTOH; ebay does side with buyers usually. I had a friend that forgot to email something about the shipping, ebay sided with the buyer who actually received the item, an LV tie even if the post took late and the buyer ended up with both the tie and their money.

Since this happening twice to my friend, I avoid selling on ebay too. I have before on auction, again under the friend´s account, usually went ok, one not so good experience with a fake bidder. I would not do it again. Hence, I did not create an account. But if I really wanted something and wanted to create an account, I would be new too and obviously not trying anything funky. Everyone had to start once.

The buyer could be totally legit too. Let´s hear what others advise on how you could avoid problems. I would be vary.

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would buy jewelery on ebay, but would never sell anything valuable (I do sell on ebay, but not high value stuff). It is so easy for buyers to take advantage, and ebay and paypal will always side with the buyer. You could have a bulletproof case, with all the evidence in the world, and you'll still lose. Ebay's feedback system is also deeply flawed. Sellers can't leave negative feedback for a buyer, so as a seller you can never evaluate the trustworthiness of a buyer. I'd rather sell for less using other methods. Ebay is too risky.

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would buy jewelery on ebay, but would never sell anything valuable (I do sell on ebay, but not high value stuff). It is so easy for buyers to take advantage, and ebay and paypal will always side with the buyer. You could have a bulletproof case, with all the evidence in the world, and you'll still lose. Ebay's feedback system is also deeply flawed. Sellers can't leave negative feedback for a buyer, so as a seller you can never evaluate the trustworthiness of a buyer. I'd rather sell for less using other methods. Ebay is too risky.

Oh no, now I’m even more nervous....:cry:
I’ve sold many items on eBay and Etsy but never at this price point.
Can you suggest another method?
It’s listed on Etsy already. I actually hope it sells there as I ‘trust’ it more.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Consign it! After all the eBay and PayPal fees, I’d happily pay a 15 percent consignment fee to let someone else take care of it. Try Jewels by Grace or Love Affair Diamonds.

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert at selling jewelry. I actually sold a solitaire recently, and I took the chicken way out - I sold it to a local diamond dealer. I'm sure I could've gotten a bit more by private sale, but to me at the time it wasn't worth the hassle and stress.

You can try a reputable consignment site, like Love Affair Diamonds. I'm not sure how much of a cut they take. BTW, I read lots of bad things about I Do Now I Don't (from a seller's perspective. They seem ok for buyers).

Since it's a Tiffany and you have the brand recognition, you would probably have luck selling locally through kijiji or something. Just meet up with the buyer in person, in a safe public place, and insist on cash or e-transfer on the spot.

Anyway, I'm not the best person to give advice, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, since you asked, here is a photo. I am sure you are wondering... what's with the emeralds? I just went to my first gem show, the Tucson Gem and Mineral show and was looking at emeralds. Being new to pricescope, I also found an emerald thread, so I posted this photo in that thread. I'm reusing the photo and posting here, so please bear with me on sharing the same photo.

The wedding band is their knife-edge band, 2mm. It's super thin and plain which is what I wanted, nothing fancy.

Hope this helps. Good luck in your decision!

Emerald1.jpg

Thanks for sharing your ring... I love a knife edge soli with a plain band (of course I'm biased). ;-)
DK Wire Band _plat_3.jpg

Attachments

• 3 Stone_B1.jpg
    3 Stone_B1.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 29

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing your ring... I love a knife edge soli with a plain band (of course I'm biased). ;-)
DK Wire Band _plat_3.jpg

Thanks for posting! Glad to see another fan! Your diamond is lovelyl

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
**UPDATE**
My Tiffany ring FINALLY sold! Took longer than I thought and I sold it for less than I wanted but I’m happy.
It probably would have been better to wait until closer to Christmas but I was getting impatient....

I’m now in contact with a very nice lady at Whiteflash for my ACA! :kiss2:
I have 5 potential diamonds in my cart and she’s evaluating them now. :geek:

I’ll keep you posted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results