shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointed in lack of response but...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/2/2008 8:03:29 PM
Author: Ellen
Date: 4/2/2008 8:01:30 PM

Author: dianne

Date: 3/29/2008 12:25:25 AM

Author: FrekeChild

With the deadline you want-I think the internet is going to be a stretch. I would go to Tiffany, Harry Winston, Cartier, or a reputable local jeweler. I think that will be key.

You still haven''t said anything about a setting. Are you going to propose with just the rock?

What state are you in?

And just how long has she waited?

Yes, how long? Since I waited for 15 years I was just wondering if anyone out there can beat my score.
2.gif

OK, VR...we''re waiting to see the rock!!
3.gif
Don''t forget about us!
I think he did, a long time ago.
20.gif

LOL! I thought the guy sounded like a tool from the word "go", but I could understand all the would-be jewelers who wanted the opportunity to land a $80K deal so I held my tongue (relatively) and made a benign comment about how "in love" the couple seemed, what with the word "demand" and the obvious attitude of "ANY RB with these stats will do" being uttered within 15 minutes of his first post. LOL. I think he''s a guy who likes drama and he liked the idea of everyone falling all over themselves to give him advice based on some manufactured urgency.--This is probably why threw out the $80K figure, just to get attention. You know, I was trying to envision him surrounded by his friends'' wives as he corresponded with the PS experts , everyone diligently trying to help him out, and I''m sorry but it sounded like a bunch of nonsense to me. But it was just a visceral reaction, nothing concrete, so I kept quiet. But now I will share with you the rest of my gut instinct, LOL: He probably bought nothing and when he does he will spend 1/3 of what he bragged about over at a B&M. (BTW, how much do you want to bet that he reads this post and then logs on to say that he actually spent over $100K, just to prove up his credibility?! LOL. And to that end, it is my experience that the people who do actually plan to spend $80K on a ring are not usually willing to broadcast that fact, let alone to a group of strangers on the internet. They are usually far more discreet and circumspect. Discretion and deliberativeness are usually also traits of a fund manager, and I apologize for being blunt, but he didn''t seem to have either of these. So, if he is managing a fund, I can only say that I hope we aren''t investing in it. LOL ;-)) I give major plaudits to the good intentions of the PSers who tried to help him out though.
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2008 10:30:12 PM
Author: Isabelle

LOL! I thought the guy sounded like a tool from the word ''go'', but I could understand all the would-be jewelers who wanted the opportunity to land a $80K deal so I held my tongue (relatively) and made a benign comment about how ''in love'' the couple seemed, what with the word ''demand'' and the obvious attitude of ''ANY RB with these stats will do'' being uttered within 15 minutes of his first post. LOL. I think he''s a guy who likes drama and he liked the idea of everyone falling all over themselves to give him advice based on some manufactured urgency.--This is probably why threw out the $80K figure, just to get attention. You know, I was trying to envision him surrounded by his friends'' wives as he corresponded with the PS experts , everyone diligently trying to help him out, and I''m sorry but it sounded like a bunch of nonsense to me. But it was just a visceral reaction, nothing concrete, so I kept quiet. But now I will share with you the rest of my gut instinct, LOL: He probably bought nothing and when he does he will spend 1/3 of what he bragged about over at a B&M. (BTW, how much do you want to bet that he reads this post and then logs on to say that he actually spent over $100K, just to prove up his credibility?! LOL. And to that end, it is my experience that the people who do actually plan to spend $80K on a ring are not usually willing to broadcast that fact, let alone to a group of strangers on the internet. They are usually far more discreet and circumspect. Discretion and deliberativeness are usually also traits of a fund manager, and I apologize for being blunt, but he didn''t seem to have either of these. So, if he is managing a fund, I can only say that I hope we aren''t investing in it. LOL ;-)) I give major plaudits to the good intentions of the PSers who tried to help him out though.
1.gif
Yeah, I wondered why his "friends" that recommended PS weren''t helping him, or why they didn''t clue him in as to how things really work.
2.gif
However, there is always the chance something like this is legit, so I posted accordingly.
5.gif

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

LOL! I thought the guy sounded like a tool from the word ''go'', but I could understand all the would-be jewelers who wanted the opportunity to land a $80K deal so I held my tongue (relatively) and made a benign comment about how ''in love'' the couple seemed, what with the word ''demand'' and the obvious attitude of ''ANY RB with these stats will do'' being uttered within 15 minutes of his first post. LOL. I think he''s a guy who likes drama and he liked the idea of everyone falling all over themselves to give him advice based on some manufactured urgency.--This is probably why threw out the $80K figure, just to get attention. You know, I was trying to envision him surrounded by his friends'' wives as he corresponded with the PS experts , everyone diligently trying to help him out, and I''m sorry but it sounded like a bunch of nonsense to me. But it was just a visceral reaction, nothing concrete, so I kept quiet. But now I will share with you the rest of my gut instinct, LOL: He probably bought nothing and when he does he will spend 1/3 of what he bragged about over at a B&M. (BTW, how much do you want to bet that he reads this post and then logs on to say that he actually spent over $100K, just to prove up his credibility?! LOL. And to that end, it is my experience that the people who do actually plan to spend $80K on a ring are not usually willing to broadcast that fact, let alone to a group of strangers on the internet. They are usually far more discreet and circumspect. Discretion and deliberativeness are usually also traits of a fund manager, and I apologize for being blunt, but he didn''t seem to have either of these. So, if he is managing a fund, I can only say that I hope we aren''t investing in it. LOL ;-)) I give major plaudits to the good intentions of the PSers who tried to help him out though.
1.gif

There isn''t much discreet about an $80k ring. ;-)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I agree with isabelle about the air of drama etc, and I know its not sensible to take it personally, but I for one am slightly offended that PSers including myself made a concerted effort to help a stranger (as usual), and didn't even get a response/thankyou.
VR, if you are for real, you've got a 4 page thread here that you haven't checked in since page..1? 2? Bad manners..
38.gif

or...perhaps inside industry research..? (the skeptic in me coming out, lol).

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
It''s just sad when this happens because there are people who really want the actual help and I know this kinda turns people off to helping.
7.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

2 things.

If you work in finance, you don’t need to be an investment banker or hedge fund manager to be able to afford to spend 80k on a ring,

My husband is in finance, works on Wall along with many of our friends. When bonus season comes around, their testosterone goes up a notch and they compare what they got.

On the low end is an associate, 26 years old and received a bonus of over 50k from JP Morgan. On the high end is a director, received 180k (won’t say the company). Everyone else was in the middle. These are normal sums.
All these men including my DH come across as VR did. That doesn’t make them bad guys. Just the way they are.
To the lady that posted she lives close to Manhattan and all her friends’ rings are at least 3ct.
I live in Manhattan, and out of all the people I know, no one has a ring close to that. I’m not talking students either. These people can afford much larger it’s just not really done.. It’s also very rare that I see anything that looks even remotely close to a 3ct. If I really believed that was the norm here, I would have gone larger than the 2.52 I recently bought.

As for VR- not sure if you purchased the stone or not, or if you’re even following this thread anymore. But I hope you took the advice of just going to Tiffs or Winston and purchased the best your budget afforded.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 10:20:12 AM
Author: elle_chris

2 things.

If you work in finance, you don’t need to be an investment banker or hedge fund manager to be able to afford to spend 80k on a ring,

My husband is in finance, works on Wall along with many of our friends. When bonus season comes around, their testosterone goes up a notch and they compare what they got.

On the low end is an associate, 26 years old and received a bonus of over 50k from JP Morgan. On the high end is a director, received 180k (won’t say the company). Everyone else was in the middle. These are normal sums.

All these men including my DH come across as VR did. That doesn’t make them bad guys. Just the way they are.

To the lady that posted she lives close to Manhattan and all her friends’ rings are at least 3ct.

I live in Manhattan, and out of all the people I know, no one has a ring close to that. I’m not talking students either. These people can afford much larger it’s just not really done.. It’s also very rare that I see anything that looks even remotely close to a 3ct. If I really believed that was the norm here, I would have gone larger than the 2.52 I recently bought.

As for VR- not sure if you purchased the stone or not, or if you’re even following this thread anymore. But I hope you took the advice of just going to Tiffs or Winston and purchased the best your budget afforded.

How much people make is really irrelevant to the discussion. And while boasting about one''s income does not make a person a "bad person", it does make them a person with bad manners. Calling out that you would have bought a larger diamond than 2.5 ct. if that was "done", frankly illustrates the point. We are not impressed. Perhaps it isn''t your intent, but it comes across very poorly. Do you know VR by any chance? LOL

38.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 8:23:26 AM
Author: sna77

1.gif

Good point. I think judging by the response I just replied to, there is also some confusion about having large income and having actual wealth. Spending a lot of money does not equal having a lot of money

If more hedge fund managers understood that basic principle, there wouldn''t be so many of them collapsing.

1.gif

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 11:59:50 AM

Date: 4/3/2008 8:23:26 AM

1.gif

Good point. I think judging by the response I just replied to, there is also some confusion about having large income and having actual wealth. Spending a lot of money does not equal having a lot of money

If more hedge fund managers understood that basic principle, there wouldn''t be so many of them collapsing.

1.gif
36.gif

sna77

Brilliant_Rock

2 things.

1. yeah, we get it. We''re making generalizations about the usual suspects for potential job types...
2. Odd, because all my firends that live in Manhattan bought their FI''s / wives at least a 2.5ct stone...

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 11:54:16 AM

2 things.

How much people make is really irrelevant to the discussion. And while boasting about one's income does not make a person a 'bad person', it does make them a person with bad manners. Calling out that you would have bought a larger diamond than 2.5 ct. if that was 'done', frankly illustrates the point. We are not impressed. Perhaps it isn't your intent, but it comes across very poorly. Do you know VR by any chance? LOL

38.gif
1.No one's boating about anyone's income. Income wasn't mentioned, bonuses were. Also, I found it offensive that a few assumed to know what he did based on a few posts and were willing to make a generalization about his personality.

2. People come on here all the time and mention budget. it seems this guy rubbed a few the wrong way because of what he was willing to spend. Looks like jealousy to me. No one here gets bad mouthed when they say they have a budget of 10k. Your post saying that's he'd probably go to a B&M and spend 1/3rd of that, well to me, that was done in bad manners.
So get off your high horse.

3. Yes, i would get a 3carat if i believed that was the norm for where I live. Once again, when people post here asking what size etc, many here respond with- what's normal in your group of friends, where do you live, etc.

Also, I don't recall attacking you. Next time, keep your nastiness to yourself. You obviously have issues -dont' try to make them mine.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 12:04:58 PM

2 things.

1. yeah, we get it. We're making generalizations about the usual suspects for potential job types...
2. Odd, because all my firends that live in Manhattan bought their FI's / wives at least a 2.5ct stone...
Dunno, I know alot of my friends were more considered with very high color/clarity instead of size. I tried to convince them cut is key but that didn't get me very far.. lol

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 12:10:35 PM

Dunno, I know alot of my friends were more considered with very high color/clarity instead of size. I tried to convince them cut is key but that didn''t get me very far.. lol

If they bought them at the usual high-end jewlery shops, then the cut generallly shouldn''t be an issue anyhow. haha

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 12:04:58 PM

2 things.

1. yeah, we get it. We''re making generalizations about the usual suspects for potential job types...

2. Odd, because all my firends that live in Manhattan bought their FI''s / wives at least a 2.5ct stone...

LOL
36.gif
You''re too funny.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
I was the one who guessed hedge fund manager and as stated, it was based on his manner, not his budget. Any decent hedgie can drop 80K and not even notice it. This is something I know, I''m a professional stock trader and have interviewed with these people before deciding to stay independent.

And Isabelle, a lot of them are collapsing, no doubt about it. It''s getting pretty scary out there now.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 12:08:39 PM
Date: 4/3/2008 11:54:16 AM

2 things.

How much people make is really irrelevant to the discussion. And while boasting about one''s income does not make a person a ''bad person'', it does make them a person with bad manners. Calling out that you would have bought a larger diamond than 2.5 ct. if that was ''done'', frankly illustrates the point. We are not impressed. Perhaps it isn''t your intent, but it comes across very poorly. Do you know VR by any chance? LOL

38.gif
1.No one''s boating about anyone''s income. Income wasn''t mentioned, bonuses were. Also, I found it offensive that a few assumed to know what he did based on a few posts and were willing to make a generalization about his personality.

2. People come on here all the time and mention budget. it seems this guy rubbed a few the wrong way because of what he was willing to spend. Looks like jealousy to me. No one here gets bad mouthed when they say they have a budget of 10k. Your post saying that''s he''d probably go to a B&M and spend 1/3rd of that, well to me, that was done in bad manners.

So get off your high horse.

3. Yes, i would get a 3carat if i believed that was the norm for where I live. Once again, when people post here asking what size etc, many here respond with- what''s normal in your group of friends, where do you live, etc.

Also, I don''t recall attacking you. Next time, keep your nastiness to yourself. You obviously have issues -dont'' try to make them mine.

I think the complaints were largely about the urgency with which he pleaded for help, the sincerity and promptness in responses, and the weird way he disappeared. After all, a guy armed with a deadline and a "demands list", let alone a budget to broadcast, would seem to follow up...if he were sincere. I know this might come as a surprise, but a lot of people can afford to spend large sums of money on a ring. That they would choose to do so is another matter altogether. That they would choose to broadcast it, another matter still. Bonuses are part of income, the last I checked, and I honestly see no connection with geographic location and diamond size. I think you will find a wide range of rings within any given city. Especially NY. Thank you for the pleasure of your posts.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Troll, hedge fund, or whatever, this is a funny thread.
9.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 12:28:40 PM
Author: tradergirl
I was the one who guessed hedge fund manager and as stated, it was based on his manner, not his budget. Any decent hedgie can drop 80K and not even notice it. This is something I know, I''m a professional stock trader and have interviewed with these people before deciding to stay independent.

And Isabelle, a lot of them are collapsing, no doubt about it. It''s getting pretty scary out there now.

Hi Tradergirl. You probably hit the nail right on the head, which goes a long way towards explaining the correlation between being so many funds being run by braggadocios and then spectacularly collapsing. Is it something in our psyche that makes us believe we have to live a certain way or spend a certain amount in order to prove that we are "successful"? Spending what you have, (or what you don''t have), is easy. Living below your means is smart. On another note, I sincerely hope that your career is safe and secure and I hope that we can collectively find our way out of this recession without too much pain for any families or friends.--That you are independent is probably quite helpful to you in this time.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 12:36:56 PM
Author: CaptAubrey
Troll, hedge fund, or whatever, this is a funny thread.
9.gif

LOL, Yeah, it kind of is. :)
35.gif

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Isabelle, it's a "guy" thing. LOL. I think women are often far superior traders. We don't get our egos tangled up in things we can't control.

You're a patent lawyer, right? My husband is too. That's truly interesting work.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been following this thread with some amusement and interest - it seems to have touched on a few ''issues''. I just wanted to pop in to say that I find it very interesting how predominantly size factors into considerations and assumptions of budget. As far as I can see, a 3 ct stone can run anywhere from under $20k to over $250k depending on the other c''s. It just always strikes me how easily people assume that size = value, even here on PS. Just an observation.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I always love seeing the results of a diamond hunt on PS, so I''m bummed that VR didn''t give us an update.

This is how the whole engagement scenario played out in my head:

VR, the impatient hedge fund guy, was given an ultimatum by his gold-digging girlfriend who wanted a beautiful bauble on her hand and legal, permanent access to his bank account. VR, who had never thought about a ring or proposal a day in his life, realized this was a high-pressure situation (good thing he responds well to those with that hedge fund training!) and set out to find a pacifier, er, ring, that was big enough to make her happy, but wouldn''t cost him too much. This is where PriceScope entered the picture.

In the meantime, VR''s lady had been daydreaming of $300K, 5-carat Harry Winston rings, never doubting that this is what he would present her with. When he proposed with a generic ring that was less than 4 carats, she couldn''t believe he''d cheaped out on her. She threw he ring in his face and insisted he buy her a "decent" ring.

What? Too cynical? I''m just kidding! But seriously, I''d love to see what VR ended up getting.

Also, I have to say that I never blink twice when I hear of somebody''s budget for a ring. So long as they can afford it, I couldn''t care less. The only thing that makes me cringe is when money is borrowed for a ring. People will ALWAYS have more money than you, so what''s the point of living by others'' standards. It just causes stress! And a lack of money in your savings account!

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 12:41:44 PM
Author: tradergirl
Isabelle, it''s a ''guy'' thing. LOL. I think women are often far superior traders. We don''t get our egos tangled up in things we can''t control.

You''re a patent lawyer, right? My husband is too. That''s truly interesting work.

LOL! Good point. I am a TM lawyer, actually. :)

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 12:58:38 PM
Author: bem3231
I''ve been following this thread with some amusement and interest - it seems to have touched on a few ''issues''. I just wanted to pop in to say that I find it very interesting how predominantly size factors into considerations and assumptions of budget. As far as I can see, a 3 ct stone can run anywhere from under $20k to over $250k depending on the other c''s. It just always strikes me how easily people assume that size = value, even here on PS. Just an observation.
That''s a good point.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 1:15:51 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
What? Too cynical?
Nah, I think you went easy on ''em.
3.gif
2.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
I always love seeing the results of a diamond hunt on PS, so I''m bummed that VR didn''t give us an update.

VR, the impatient hedge fund guy, was given an ultimatum by his gold-digging girlfriend who wanted a beautiful bauble on her hand and legal, permanent access to his bank account. VR, who had never thought about a ring or proposal a day in his life, realized this was a high-pressure situation (good thing he responds well to those with that hedge fund training!) and set out to find a pacifier, er, ring, that was big enough to make her happy, but wouldn''t cost him too much. This is where PriceScope entered the picture.

In the meantime, VR''s lady had been daydreaming of $300K, 5-carat Harry Winston rings, never doubting that this is what he would present her with. When he proposed with a generic ring that was less than 4 carats, she couldn''t believe he''d cheaped out on her. She threw he ring in his face and insisted he buy her a ''decent'' ring.

What? Too cynical? I''m just kidding! But seriously, I''d love to see what VR ended up getting.

Also, I have to say that I never blink twice when I hear of somebody''s budget for a ring. So long as they can afford it, I couldn''t care less. The only thing that makes me cringe is when money is borrowed for a ring. People will ALWAYS have more money than you, so what''s the point of living by others'' standards. It just causes stress! And a lack of money in your savings account!

Well said! I would only add that VR would do well to sink more money in the prenup than the ring, what with the nature of the true love vibes I got from those posts. :) How''s that for "cynical"?
31.gif

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 1:49:08 PM

Well said! I would only add that VR would do well to sink more money in the prenup than the ring, what with the nature of the true love vibes I got from those posts. :) How''s that for ''cynical''?
31.gif

This makes me think of an ad that I''ve seen in the jewelry trade magazines over the past few months. In the foreground is a engagement ring with a big fat rock in it sitting on desk blotter, and on the background on the desk is a torn up sheet of paper, which, as you look closer, proves to be a pre-nup.
22.gif

It always cracks me up when I see it, but I''m not sure I get the point--buying such a big diamond convinces the guy to tear up the pre-nup? Or was she the one who did it after he gave her a nice ring?
31.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

In the meantime, VR''s lady had been daydreaming of $300K, 5-carat Harry Winston rings, never doubting that this is what he would present her with. When he proposed with a generic ring that was less than 4 carats, she couldn''t believe he''d cheaped out on her. She threw he ring in his face and insisted he buy her a ''decent'' ring.

Ditto!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 2:01:57 PM

Well said! I would only add that VR would do well to sink more money in the prenup than the ring, what with the nature of the true love vibes I got from those posts. :) How''s that for ''cynical''?
31.gif

This makes me think of an ad that I''ve seen in the jewelry trade magazines over the past few months. In the foreground is a engagement ring with a big fat rock in it sitting on desk blotter, and on the background on the desk is a torn up sheet of paper, which, as you look closer, proves to be a pre-nup.
22.gif

It always cracks me up when I see it, but I''m not sure I get the point--buying such a big diamond convinces the guy to tear up the pre-nup? Or was she the one who did it after he gave her a nice ring?
31.gif
Here''s my post-decisional dissonance reduction account: After HE spent so much money on the ring, he decides that it MUST be true love (or why would he possibly have spent so much??), and so HE tears up the pre-nup!

DD

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 2:10:47 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

Date: 4/3/2008 2:01:57 PM

31.gif

22.gif

31.gif
Here''s my post-decisional dissonance reduction account: After HE spent so much money on the ring, he decides that it MUST be true love (or why would he possibly have spent so much??), and so HE tears up the pre-nup!

DD
I say, he had just had her sign the pre-nup, and they then ran off to get married. The secretary, who has been having an affair with him for years is livid, as he had promised her they would be married someday, so she tears the pre-nup up.
27.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results