shape
carat
color
clarity

Did Tiffany & Co. stop making the Schlumberger Egg??

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hey @meesmom, what did you decide about ordering the egg? Inquiring minds want to know!

Ugh, I havent decided.:roll: I am still waiting for my photos from Caysie of my new ring, then I'm going to decide whether or not to sell my Tiffany band, which i absolutely have to do if I'm going to buy one. The Riviere band is pretty pricey, and it was a lot to get my husband to agree to that. But I'm still on the fence, lol.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Well, its a fun decision after all, and the new Tiffany's egg isn't going anywhere. So take your time and enjoy the process!

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Well, its a fun decision after all, and the new Tiffany's egg isn't going anywhere. So take your time and enjoy the process!

I hope it doesnt go anywhere! I know they dont make these things in huge batches, bc of the issues I had last time buying one....i know i have to decide as soon as i can

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
And.....they're unavailable....again!!!:(

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Uf... Would it work to place your order, for the particular shape, with a SA @meesmom ? The color of the piece shown is so intense!

Turquoise supply is not dependable - not for the thirty years since I've had an interest.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Uf... Would it work to place your order, for the particular shape, with a SA @meesmom ? The color of the piece shown is so intense!

Turquoise supply is not dependable - not for the thirty years since I've had an interest.

Yes it is, very intense, maybe of the sleeping beauty variety? But alas, it is unavailable yet again, so i guess ill just have to wait...

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@meesmom Turquoise mines are mostly a mystery to me - each is known for a certain color range & pattern of veins etc., but the respective picture is something almost impossible - I have not seen vein-less turquoise looking like the egg on my screen in its size at all, only smaller, from US & from Iran [by reputation, at least - it is a standard for me, like 'Kashmir' is for sapphire, with all those caveats] - or treated. to me 'Sleeping Beauty' is a color - much lighter than that, but who knows what came out of the mine [I have no reason to not trust these & they are deeper blue - www].

Last edited:

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
@meesmom Turquoise mines are mostly a mystery to me - each is known for a certain color range & pattern of veins etc., but the respective picture is something almost impossible - I have not seen vein-less turquoise looking like the egg on my screen in its size at all, only smaller, from US & from Iran [by reputation, at least - it is a standard for me, like 'Kashmir' is for sapphire, with all those caveats] - or treated. to me 'Sleeping Beauty' is a color - much lighter than that, but who knows what came out of the mine [I have no reason to not trust these & they are deeper blue - www].

I agree....i have a sleeping beauty necklace my mom made me.
She bought them from Arizona (i think). They are small nuggets of this same rich color. But i did get a book with my lapis egg, and it said all the stones are natural, treated only with stabliizers. And i did hold 2 turquoise eggs in my own hands, the color was amazing!! I assumed maybe thats why the turquise one was alsays the most expensive??

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I remain with the impression that there is much less turquoise than lapis [& any classic hardstone staple that comes to mind] in the world & asking for no treatment is not a good idea; then, the name 'Tiffany' has more weight than 'no treatment' for better or worse. [ref. Tiffany treatments described - www pdf.]

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I remain with the impression that there is much less turquoise than lapis [& any classic hardstone staple that comes to mind] in the world & asking for no treatment is not a good idea; then, the name 'Tiffany' has more weight than 'no treatment' for better or worse. [ref. Tiffany treatments described - www pdf.]

Oh, not sure I am understanding...do you think that maybe this is manufactured turquoise? Or are you commenting on something else in reguards to the stone?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I do find the phrasing of Tiffany's statement on treatment ambiguous [below], but tend to give them the benefit of doubt & accept the brand value as it is.

___

The text is: "Stabilized to improve durability. Coated with colorless substances to improve surface uniformity and durability."

Does it mean:

"Stabilized to improve durability. [that is to say] Coated with colorless substances to improve surface uniformity and durability."

or

"Stabilized to improve durability. [and] Coated with colorless substances to improve surface uniformity and durability."

If the second sentence explains the improvement mentioned in the first statement, then the treatment is unobjectionable.

If there is stabilization and surface treatment, I need to look away, since in this sense 'stabilization' may mean anything.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I do find the phrasing of Tiffany's statement on treatment ambiguous [below], but tend to give them the benefit of doubt & accept the brand value as it is.

___

The text is: "Stabilized to improve durability. Coated with colorless substances to improve surface uniformity and durability."

Does it mean:

"Stabilized to improve durability. [that is to say] Coated with colorless substances to improve surface uniformity and durability."

or

"Stabilized to improve durability. [and] Coated with colorless substances to improve surface uniformity and durability."

If the second sentence explains the improvement mentioned in the first statement, then the treatment is unobjectionable.

If there is stabilization and surface treatment, I need to look away, since in this sense 'stabilization' may mean anything.

Aha ok now i got you!! I know a tiny bit about this too. I know they can make "turquoise" out of powdered bits, and "stabliizers". It never accured to me that tiffany might do this. Then again, i would think the egg shape would be perfect, and i couldnt find one even close, as you may have read previously in the thread. It is unclear in the text tho, and a good point to consider. :)

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
True enough: the variations of shape & color are encouraging. Also, this is not a common piece, obviously! Fingers crossed for the right one.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
True enough: the variations of shape & color are encouraging. Also, this is not a common piece, obviously! Fingers crossed for the right one.

Thank you! :)

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Keep checking back in to the Tiffany's website @meesmom. My bet is it will be for sale again in a little while.

I've been keeping my eye on Tiffany's medium-sized dragonfly brooch since last fall and it has gone in and out of stock several times.

I know it can be nerve-wracking to see an item we are smitten with marked unavailable. But I'd only start really worrying if Tiffany's takes it down completely off their website.

With my brooch, a few stores still had it in stock in their store, even though the Tiffany's website marked it as unavailable.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Keep checking back in to the Tiffany's website @meesmom. My bet is it will be for sale again in a little while.

I've been keeping my eye on Tiffany's medium-sized dragonfly brooch since last fall and it has gone in and out of stock several times.

I know it can be nerve-wracking to see an item we are smitten with marked unavailable. But I'd only start really worrying if Tiffany's takes it down completely off their website.

With my brooch, a few stores still had it in stock in their store, even though the Tiffany's website marked it as unavailable.

I just looked up the dragonfly - very pretty! Do you prefer the diamond, the ruby, or the sapphire?

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock

Ok, I will! Its not really something I should be considering right now anyway....so many more important things that I could spend that 2k on right now. And i am still waiting on my Riviere band, I kinda thought I'd have it by now, but covid really slowed down everything!! :(

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I just looked up the dragonfly - very pretty! Do you prefer the diamond, the ruby, or the sapphire?

Hi OdetteOdile! I like the dragonfly brooch that is all diamonds because it goes with everything, especially little black dresses. In non-pandemic times, I go to a lot of evening art gallery functions (for work) and its fun to mix a little whimsy with my bling.

Do you have your eye on any pretty bling projects these days? What's on your sparkle-crush list?

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OdetteOdile! I like the dragonfly brooch that is all diamonds because it goes with everything, especially little black dresses. In non-pandemic times, I go to a lot of evening art gallery functions (for work) and its fun to mix a little whimsy with my bling.

Do you have your eye on any pretty bling projects these days? What's on your sparkle-crush list?

ah - the diamond dragonfly is perfect for a black dress! In terms of my eye on a fun bling project, I would say I am still gathering ideas for a big anniversary that is coming up. Might update my wedding set, and I will certainly post details if I do! Otherwise, I am working on a bracelet stack, but my taste is so simple my stack might stay as is - my dbty bracelet paired with my watch. :lol:

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
ah - the diamond dragonfly is perfect for a black dress! In terms of my eye on a fun bling project, I would say I am still gathering ideas for a big anniversary that is coming up. Might update my wedding set, and I will certainly post details if I do! Otherwise, I am working on a bracelet stack, but my taste is so simple my stack might stay as is - my dbty bracelet paired with my watch. :lol:

Hi @OdetteOdile! Sorry totally off topic but I've been meaning to ask you....is your profile pic one of those swan boats in Boston? I have such fond memories of those boats...

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock

I just looked it up too....its stunning! Are the eyes sapphire? They look blue. Its so pretty... :kiss2:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I just looked it up too....its stunning! Are the eyes sapphire? They look blue. Its so pretty... :kiss2:

Yes, the eyes are sapphire.

I'm excited because I've got an appointment to go try it on at my local Tiffany's on Monday. :wall: I'm telling myself this is just "research" as I try to decide on the next piece I add to my collection will be post-pandemic, and that I'm not buying anything for awhile.

While I'm there, I will look and see if they have your egg necklace.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the eyes are sapphire.

I'm excited because I've got an appointment to go try it on at my local Tiffany's on Monday. :wall: I'm telling myself this is just "research" as I try to decide on the next piece I add to my collection will be post-pandemic, and that I'm not buying anything for awhile.

While I'm there, I will look and see if they have your egg necklace.

Oh how exciting, and thank you for thinking of me!! Please take pictures of both if you have time (and if they let you)! I know, Im in the same boat with my egg....i should be satisfied with my new band thats coming, but i never am...HA! ;-)

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I'll definitely take pics for you if they have your egg pendants. This is a small Tiffany's store, and their inventory is limited, but you never know.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the Boston swan boats! Good eye Meesmom!

Omg i loved those!! My dad would sometimes have to go to his office in Boston on Saturday when I was little, and me and my mom would go too. We would go to the library, and then a ride on the swan boats if it was nice weather, before we went to go pick him up. Its such a beautiful park. :)

Last edited:

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Omg i loved those!! My dad would sometimes have to go to his office in Boston on Saturday when I was little, and me and my mom would go too. We would go to the library, and then a ride on the swan boats if it was noce weather, before we went to go pick him up. Its sich a beautiful park. :)

What a lovely memory! I agree - the park is really special.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I'll definitely take pics for you if they have your egg pendants. This is a small Tiffany's store, and their inventory is limited, but you never know.

Aww, thanks! Yes all the ones by me are small too, they never have what im looking for. I'm suprised a smaller store has the dragonfly brooch!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! My appointment is on Monday.

If they don't have your necklace, would you like me to ask why it is marked as unavailable on the website? Any other questions you'd like me to ask?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results