shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys, I'd like some help picking out ideal cut diamond studs. My budget is $1000 for the diamonds and settings. Here are some guidelines:
Shape: modern round brilliant
Clarity: eye clean, so SI1-2 would be the lower limit. I don't know how possible it is to know if an SI2 stone is eye clean when buying online.
Color: I or higher.
Cut: Ideal. Light dispersion and sparkle are the number one criteria for the diamonds for me!
Size: As large as possible with my small budget. Probably looking at a little over a half carat total weight. Closer to three quarters would be great!

I know BGD is having a really great sale, but I don't know how closely the depth and table measurements and all of that should match up. I did find these. With 10% off the diamonds and $175 off the settings, they would be pretty close to budget, I think: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond_pair_comparisions/compared_diamond_details/AGS-104061187061/AGS-104061187078

I appreciate the help!!

Thanks,
Ali

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
One more question: I love the look of 6 or 8 prong martinis...do you guys think this setting style too much for a small size stud?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,
For that size, I'd probably go with the four prong but if you go with the 6 or 8 prong, the stones will have a more round appearance on your ears. It's really a matter of personal preference! Go with the look you like!

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of .82 ctw K SI1 from BGD. At first I was hesitant about both the K and the SI1. I am local to BGD and when I went to view stones in person I could see neither tint or inclusion. So I simply let Brian pick the two he liked best. I consider my studs a relatively conservative size, but get asked all the time if they are 1 ctw or larger because of the amazing sparkle. I would encourage you to broaden your parameters if you want to maximize the size.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I think either 4 or 6 prongs would look good. I like 6 prong settings, they do make a nice round look for a stone.

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
MC said:
Hi,
For that size, I'd probably go with the four prong but if you go with the 6 or 8 prong, the stones will have a more round appearance on your ears. It's really a matter of personal preference! Go with the look you like!

Thanks for the advice! I have only found 4 prongs in basket settings and I really like the closeness to the ear that a martini setting gives. I should probably spend some more time in the "show me your diamond studs" thread to get a good idea of settings. I do love the roundness that more prongs give.

ponder said:
I have a pair of .82 ctw K SI1 from BGD. At first I was hesitant about both the K and the SI1. I am local to BGD and when I went to view stones in person I could see neither tint or inclusion. So I simply let Brian pick the two he liked best. I consider my studs a relatively conservative size, but get asked all the time if they are 1 ctw or larger because of the amazing sparkle. I would encourage you to broaden your parameters if you want to maximize the size.

I am definitely fine with SI1, especially for earrings the clarity isn't of that much concern for me. My engagement ring is a K (it's a family heirloom OEC) and while I completely love the stone, I definitely see color. I'm looking at J's now, however, and the price difference is actually fairly minimal on BGD. Thanks for the feedback, I have no doubt the cut will be beautiful going with BGD or WF.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I had the four prong basket and really loved them! The four prongs will give more of a square appearance but there is less metal, so you sort of have to pick between one pro over another (more stone showing or more roundness if you pick more prongs). Either way, you'll have a fabulous pair of earrings!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
alisonia333|1353697021|3313443 said:
MC said:
Hi,

Thanks for the advice! I have only found 4 prongs in basket settings and I really like the closeness to the ear that a martini setting gives. I should probably spend some more time in the "show me your diamond studs" thread to get a good idea of settings. I do love the roundness that more prongs give.

ponder said:

I am definitely fine with SI1, especially for earrings the clarity isn't of that much concern for me. My engagement ring is a K (it's a family heirloom OEC) and while I completely love the stone, I definitely see color. I'm looking at J's now, however, and the price difference is actually fairly minimal on BGD. Thanks for the feedback, I have no doubt the cut will be beautiful going with BGD or WF.

Does the colour that you see bother you or can you just see it? I have low colour old cut diamonds and can see the colour too, but it doesn't annoy me, especially on my ears!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
my BGD studs are signature cut .44 and .43 J SI's and they are pretty white to me! I set them in 3 prong martinis and I do wear them now with the IDJ jackets, which are much whiter at FG. From face on, you can not notice much difference, but from the side or when I take them out to clean them, I can see the contrast between the 2. With the BGD sale on diamonds and settings AND you can get close to your $1K budget --- I'd go for it!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I recently purchased J SI1 studs in a similar size from BGD and they were a bit more $$ than what you are looking at so I say go for it! It's a great time to be buying diamonds. :sun:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think those stones are a great buy, so reserve them! Also, if you ever plan to upgrade, I'd get the lowest priced settings....4 prong baskets or 3 prong martinis. Yes, I do think too many prongs can cover up a small stone.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1353711455|3313631 said:
I think those stones are a great buy, so reserve them! Also, if you ever plan to upgrade, I'd get the lowest priced settings....4 prong baskets or 3 prong martinis. Yes, I do think too many prongs can cover up a small stone.

I hate to interrupt your thread, Alisonia, but I just have to ask this question.

DS - At what point do you think the 8 prong martinis work? I love Bliss's earrings: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...tcw-studs-reset-into-8-prong-martinis.133892/ and have only recently become interested in getting a pair of studs myself. So, how big do they have to be for a setting like this to make sense?

Thanks very much!

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
Not interrupting at all! I'm also curious. With $175 off diamond stud settings on BGD, it's a good day to maybe get a nicer setting! m slightly worried about WG because I have a nickel allergy and I haven't ever worn WG in my ears. I have some yellow gold earrings and lots of sterling silver, but I am fairly sensitive. I was thinking about platinum but I'm not wild about getting platinum for earrings when the cost is much more (even with platinum prices on par with gold, now).

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
For my personal tastes, the only settings I really like for diamond studs are bezels or 3-prong martini styles. I think a bezel setting really helps add some size and visual "weight" to smaller studs, and prevents catching on your hair. If you think you'll upgrade, though, I'd do 3-prong. I think 6 or 8 prongs would overwhelm smaller stones.

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your help! I pulled the trigger on the 0.64 ctw BGD stones in a 3 prong martini WG setting, which was free with the $175 off promo. I love the 8 prong look, but on a smaller stone I think the prongs might be a little overwhelming. I also like the diamond floating on the ear appearance a 3 prong martini gives, and last but not least, the price was right. I also got the 10% off the stones, so I saved about $240 total and came in DUN DUN DUN DUHHHHH: 8 bucks under budget! I'm SUPER excited for my first pair of diamond studs. I'm only 27, so I have plenty of time for upgrades, and I'll post pics when I get them in a few days. :appl:

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome, would love to see them!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Good for you! Sounds like you got a great deal!! :appl:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 8 prong studs on some of my 4mm colored stone earrings and think they look great... you just have to make sure the prongs aren't too big, but I don't think that's a problem with BGD. On the ear they make the whole thing look bigger but don't block the sparkle. I would have no problem going 6 or 8 prongs with 4.4mm stones.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I'd love to see them Distracts. Do you have a thread with pics on here?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent! I think you made a great choice and I am happy you were able to take advantage of the sale!!! :appl: I have had 3 pairs of studs and am only getting platinum this time since I am at my end point of how much I'd spend on diamond earrings!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1353716691|3313681 said:

I hate to interrupt your thread, Alisonia, but I just have to ask this question.

DS - At what point do you think the 8 prong martinis work? I love Bliss's earrings: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...tcw-studs-reset-into-8-prong-martinis.133892/ and have only recently become interested in getting a pair of studs myself. So, how big do they have to be for a setting like this to make sense?

Thanks very much!

LV, when prongs are done really well, such as the ones that Phoenix (by Leon) and mom2boys (by WhiteFlash) have, I can deal with more prongs. My personal preference is 4 prongs on smaller stones and 6 on larger stones. But as you can see, Phoenix had only 3 on these huge diamonds while mom2boys chose the safety of 6. (And I think Phoenix had said she'd do 4 when she resets whichever diamonds she will use for studs next.) My view is that prongs should be almost invisible on studs. I really hate bulky prongs and ball prongs a lot! So I don't like any stock 8 prong settings because most seem bulky and not delicate to me and they can have the effect of looking like flowers on small diamonds. Custom would be different, though. But again, I like mom2boys 6 prong earrings and probably wouldn't do 8 because when I look at hers, I think it might be busy to have 8. But this is just a personal taste issue, obviously.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-my-4-649cttw-bgd-lm-luscious-earrings.116165/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-my-4-649cttw-bgd-lm-luscious-earrings.116165/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-35-ctw-whiteflash-diamond-6-prong-martini-studs.181840/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-35-ctw-whiteflash-diamond-6-prong-martini-studs.181840/[/URL]

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1353733175|3313830 said:
I have 8 prong studs on some of my 4mm colored stone earrings and think they look great... you just have to make sure the prongs aren't too big, but I don't think that's a problem with BGD. On the ear they make the whole thing look bigger but don't block the sparkle. I would have no problem going 6 or 8 prongs with 4.4mm stones.

I'm with distracts on this one but I really think the preference for the number of prongs really just comes down to personal preference, there's no right or wrong answer. My first pair of studs were 0.31 ct each and I had the 8-prong settings. I then upgraded to 0.44 ct each, still with the 8-prong settings, and I don't regret my choice at all. I agree that the prongs can't be too big but BGD did their tiny claw prongs on my upgraded pair and they are absolutely perfect. However, I didn't like the ball prongs that they did on my first pair (like DS stated, it's not a good look, especially on smaller stones). But I think if the prongs would have been smaller, they would have looked great. I like the 6 and 8 prong settings best because they keep the round look of the stone.

Be sure to post pics of your studs once they're finished!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
SO excited for you that you got the BGD studs! You are going to love them!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
alisonia333|1353722304|3313732 said:
Thanks everyone for your help! I pulled the trigger on the 0.64 ctw BGD stones in a 3 prong martini WG setting, which was free with the $175 off promo. I love the 8 prong look, but on a smaller stone I think the prongs might be a little overwhelming. I also like the diamond floating on the ear appearance a 3 prong martini gives, and last but not least, the price was right. I also got the 10% off the stones, so I saved about $240 total and came in DUN DUN DUN DUHHHHH: 8 bucks under budget! I'm SUPER excited for my first pair of diamond studs. I'm only 27, so I have plenty of time for upgrades, and I'll post pics when I get them in a few days. :appl:

Congratulations! Those are going to be gorgeous earrings! Enjoy.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1353766217|3314017 said:
Loves Vintage|1353716691|3313681 said:

Thanks very much!

LV, when prongs are done really well, such as the ones that Phoenix (by Leon) and mom2boys (by WhiteFlash) have, I can deal with more prongs. My personal preference is 4 prongs on smaller stones and 6 on larger stones. But as you can see, Phoenix had only 3 on these huge diamonds while mom2boys chose the safety of 6. (And I think Phoenix had said she'd do 4 when she resets whichever diamonds she will use for studs next.) My view is that prongs should be almost invisible on studs. I really hate bulky prongs and ball prongs a lot! So I don't like any stock 8 prong settings because most seem bulky and not delicate to me and they can have the effect of looking like flowers on small diamonds. Custom would be different, though. But again, I like mom2boys 6 prong earrings and probably wouldn't do 8 because when I look at hers, I think it might be busy to have 8. But this is just a personal taste issue, obviously.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-my-4-649cttw-bgd-lm-luscious-earrings.116165/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-my-4-649cttw-bgd-lm-luscious-earrings.116165/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-35-ctw-whiteflash-diamond-6-prong-martini-studs.181840/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-35-ctw-whiteflash-diamond-6-prong-martini-studs.181840/[/URL]

Wow, thank you so much DS! Given that I have never really had earrings for any extended period of time, these are all issues that I have never really considered! I'm saving this thread for when I'm ready to move forward. I really appreciate it! :wavey: Oh, and I really like mom2boys' earrings too. :love:

Stargurl - I'm going to search for yours!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1353773050|3314141 said:
Wow, thank you so much DS! Given that I have never really had earrings for any extended period of time, these are all issues that I have never really considered! I'm saving this thread for when I'm ready to move forward. I really appreciate it! :wavey: Oh, and I really like mom2boys' earrings too. :love:

Stargurl - I'm going to search for yours!

Hi LV, here is the link for my current pair:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-diamond-studs-upgrade-0-88ctw-with-idj-jackets.175591/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-diamond-studs-upgrade-0-88ctw-with-idj-jackets.175591/[/URL]

And my first pair:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/glam-shots-of-my-new-bgd-8-prong-studs-what-do-you-think.168902/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/glam-shots-of-my-new-bgd-8-prong-studs-what-do-you-think.168902/[/URL]

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
Can't wait to see them on you! :)) Lucky girl!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
With regards to prongs, I think it's a total personal preference. Look thru the studs thread and see what you like best!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Yay!!! Can't wait to see them! Congrats on the new studs!!!

monidda

Rough_Rock
Well done, I need a pair myself

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results