shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond size for earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, Ellen, you''re right. Poor Jamie may be losing her mind, but maybe this will be my last question!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2006 12:13:01 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 10/24/2006 12:00:41 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Date: 10/24/2006 10:25:20 AM
Author: Ellen
Honestly, all you enablers ganging up on poor ds.
11.gif
9.gif

ds, funny you asked. I emailed Lesley a pair and she put them on reserve yesterday. I am mulling it over and will call her today when they open. If I hear good things to my couple questions, I'll get them. They're .58's. Diameter is 5.37. I went slightly bigger than I planned, but not huge.

I have looked at my lobes quite a bit, I honestly don't have a huge area below where the studs fall now to fill in, so I'm not gonna go any bigger. I don't want it hanging off/below my lobe, and I'd like a bit of lobe showing.

Cool link you found!
Oh, that's great news! I think you'll be very happy with that size. Smaller than that would not have been much different from the ones you have now. I hope it works out!

I feel at a total standstill. The .61 pair is more perfectly matched number-wise and both are the exact color/clarity I want. With the other pair, the measurements are not as precise (but I have no idea if I could even tell them apart or not) and one stone happens to be a VS1 which causes me to have to pay a premium for it over my preferred VS2. Yet I am hearing, why would I go down in size when I was already happy with my old set of .75 each? That is true, too.

So, what to do????
33.gif
I think DS what I would do is take my current set in and find the exact diameter in mm and just get a pair that match it exactly that are ideal and not focus on whether it is .70 or .76 or .66 in carat weight - forget carat weight... match the diameter, stick to that and just RUN!!!
i think that's the problem. without going through some major hoops, she can't get the *exact* size.
an executive decision needs to be made here.
34.gif

ds, i think you need to expand your horizons and look at some si stones.
16.gif
(i'm gonna make an si believer out of you yet!
11.gif
)
i don't think they .61's will look that much smaller (don't be going and holding them side by side all the time!) than your originals but if in your heart of hearts, you know you will need the same carat weight or bigger, you just need to do it. don't postpone the inevitable. if you can be happy looking in the mirror at the 'smaller' diamonds (with crazy rainbow sparkles!) then get them.
you know what you need to make you happy. but you also know how hard it is to find exactly everything you want in a diamond, much less TWO!
23.gif
find your wee compromise and be done.

eta: wow, i missed a lot while i was posting! i'm slow!
40.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol at executive decision
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2006 12:26:23 PM
Author: belle
i think that''s the problem. without going through some major hoops, she can''t get the *exact* size.
34.gif

16.gif
(i''m gonna make an si believer out of you yet!
11.gif
)
i don''t think they .61''s will look that much smaller (don''t be going and holding them side by side all the time!) than your originals but if in your heart of hearts, you know you will need the same carat weight or bigger, you just need to do it. don''t postpone the inevitable. if you can be happy looking in the mirror at the ''smaller'' diamonds (with crazy rainbow sparkles!) then get them.
you know what you need to make you happy. but you also know how hard it is to find exactly everything you want in a diamond, much less TWO!
23.gif
Belle, I want you to know that Bryan was kind enough to check the SI1''s for me in my size range and in each pair, there was either a black inclusion or the stone was not completely eye-clean. He was so nice to check those personally for me! So I really, really did try! But I don''t think he pulled the two H VS stones to compare visually, though, but he said they should be okay together.

You know, mentally I am not sure I have to have the same size as far as carat weight goes. I just have all these voices (of people I really like!) saying go bigger! Or... no way they can be worth $2400 more! So my mind goes back and forth!

I think if I had gone with a ring diamond of under 1.5, I''d be perfectly fine with the .61''s. I think that would be the perfect size if I had a 1.2-1.4 ring stone. But since I went with a larger ring stone, I am thinking that the .75''s might look more in proportion. The honest truth is, I''d be happy right now with a 1.4 diamond and .61 each earrings. I really didn''t "need" the 1.6 diamond to be happy, but I admit it is beautiful. The stones are just gorgeous no matter the size!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ds, I can''t tell you what size to get, but Mara said something that rings true. You''re not going to be looking at these studs all the time, they won''t shrink like your ring might. So going a bit smaller, isn''t quite the same with studs as a ring. I think the .61''s would be a lovely size. And honestly, they don''t need to correlate exactly with your ring, imo. They''re close enough, I mean, it''s not like you''re looking at .50 tcw.
2.gif

Just follow your gut.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2006 12:35:59 PM

i think that''s the problem. without going through some major hoops, she can''t get the *exact* size.
34.gif

16.gif
11.gif
)
i don''t think they .61''s will look that much smaller (don''t be going and holding them side by side all the time!) than your originals but if in your heart of hearts, you know you will need the same carat weight or bigger, you just need to do it. don''t postpone the inevitable. if you can be happy looking in the mirror at the ''smaller'' diamonds (with crazy rainbow sparkles!) then get them.
23.gif
Belle, I want you to know that Bryan was kind enough to check the SI1''s for me in my size range and in each pair, there was either a black inclusion or the stone was not completely eye-clean. He was so nice to check those personally for me! So I really, really did try! But I don''t think he pulled the two H VS stones to compare visually, though, but he said they should be okay together.

You know, mentally I am not sure I have to have the same size as far as carat weight goes. I just have all these voices (of people I really like!) saying go bigger! Or... no way they can be worth $2400 more! So my mind goes back and forth!

I think if I had gone with a ring diamond of under 1.5, I''d be perfectly fine with the .61''s. I think that would be the perfect size if I had a 1.2-1.4 ring stone. But since I went with a larger ring stone, I am thinking that the .75''s might look more in proportion. The honest truth is, I''d be happy right now with a 1.4 diamond and .61 each earrings. I really didn''t ''need'' the 1.6 diamond to be happy, but I admit it is beautiful. The stones are just gorgeous no matter the size!
ignore the voices! they''re part of the sickness here!! LOL Unless it''s YOUR voice. try not to let your inner gut feeling be drowned out by all of the other noise!!!!!!!

if you go smaller you can always upgrade when your earlobes grow ;D

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2006 12:35:59 PM

34.gif

16.gif
11.gif
)
23.gif

I think if I had gone with a ring diamond of under 1.5, I''d be perfectly fine with the .61''s. I think that would be the perfect size if I had a 1.2-1.4 ring stone. But since I went with a larger ring stone, I am thinking that the .75''s might look more in proportion. The honest truth is, I''d be happy right now with a 1.4 diamond and .61 each earrings. I really didn''t ''need'' the 1.6 diamond to be happy, but I admit it is beautiful. The stones are just gorgeous no matter the size!
i am impressed that you even considered for a moment si stones!
36.gif
even though it didn''t work out, i think it''s wise to keep your options open.
2.gif

as far as the price difference, it only really matters is if *you* think it''s worth it. i know my answer for me and myself but you have to decide for you and yourself.

don''t focus too much on the ring/earring size proportion thing. you are just going to make your self crazy(er)
9.gif

go with what looks right on your ears and what you are comfortable with wearing. nothing else matters.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Y''all are just the best...really! Those are great points and very true. I won''t see them as much as my ring and I can always upgrade at any time. A perfectly matched larger pair may come along at some point, and then I''d be more sure of spending the money for the larger ones.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2006 1:04:34 PM
Y''all are just the best...really! Those are great points and very true. I won''t see them as much as my ring and I can always upgrade at any time. A perfectly matched larger pair may come along at some point, and then I''d be more sure of spending the money for the larger ones.
36.gif
Let us know when you decide!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know my feelings
11.gif
PV was talking about a get together in Dec/Jan. We can always look (or spend your extra $2400) then
31.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2006 1:24:46 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
You know my feelings
11.gif
PV was talking about a get together in Dec/Jan. We can always look (or spend your extra $2400) then
31.gif
11.gif
9.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2006 1:35:04 PM
Date: 10/24/2006 1:24:46 PM

You know my feelings
11.gif
31.gif
11.gif
9.gif

Ellen, you want to take a road trip and come with us?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So it sounds like Belle, Tacori, Ellen, and maybe Cehra all vote for the .61''s???

(It is really interesting trying to work and do this at the same time!!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Belle, haha! Yes, I am really fine with eye clean SI1''s with white inclusions that are not feathers near a girdle! There was just a hitch with one stone in each pair in the size/color selection I was looking at.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, i vote for the .61''s.
can i start looking for ways to spend the $2400 you saved?
11.gif
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2006 1:39:34 PM

Date: 10/24/2006 1:35:04 PM
11.gif
9.gif

Ellen, you want to take a road trip and come with us?
Aw, I would LOVE too! Wish I wasn''t so far away, but thanks for asking. I''ll just have to live vicariously through all your trips.
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2006 1:42:05 PM
11.gif
9.gif
Haha! That might need to go toward my husband''s anniversary gift actually (a used Porsche Boxter)!

I was leaning toward the .61''s and then Sundial and Widget made me go back to my original thought of .75! So I waver back and forth since I am getting diverse opinons on this. At least on the ring stone it was 99% in favor of the larger stone! That was easier!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2006 1:39:35 PM
So it sounds like Belle, Tacori, Ellen, and maybe Cehra all vote for the .61's???

Interesting I bet. Don't get fired, you won't be able to buy any more diamonds.
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2006 1:46:49 PM

Date: 10/24/2006 1:39:35 PM
So it sounds like Belle, Tacori, Ellen, and maybe Cehra all vote for the .61''s???

Interesting I bet. Don''t get fired, you won''t be able to buy any more diamonds.
9.gif
23.gif
39.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2006 1:45:34 PM

Date: 10/24/2006 1:42:05 PM
11.gif
9.gif
Haha! That might need to go toward my husband''s anniversary gift actually (a used Porsche Boxter)!

I was leaning toward the .61''s and then Sundial and Widget made me go back to my original thought of .75! So I waver back and forth since I am getting diverse opinons on this. At least on the ring stone it was 99% in favor of the larger stone! That was easier!
hahahaha...i saw what sundial said
11.gif

did you look in the *above* .75 range? i''m not totally set on the .61''s we could start all over again.
11.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2006 1:58:35 PM
11.gif

did you look in the *above* .75 range? i''m not totally set on the .61''s we could start all over again.
11.gif
They might just tell me to take a hike to Blue Nile or something!
9.gif

I was looking at up to .80, I think.

I emailed Jamie and asked them to pull both pair to compare and tell me which one is really the best.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2006 1:58:35 PM
11.gif

11.gif
6.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I just don''t want you to "settle" for something unless it is REALLY what you want. You know we will love whatever you choose!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
bigger.
11.gif

no honestly, exactly what sundial said. i would not compromise on this purchase if you have the $$ to spend. it doesn't mean you HAVE to spend it all but think about what you really want and don't just get what people say you should. you will be wearing them, not us.

seriously you guys kill me! how do you decide what to have for dinner? i guess that somehow works out or you'd starve. hahaha.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2006 5:16:25 PM
Author: Sundial
I just don''t want you to ''settle'' for something unless it is REALLY what you want. You know we will love whatever you choose!!!
Thank you, Sundial...I know you want me to get what I really want!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2006 5:19:34 PM
Author: Mara
bigger.
11.gif

no honestly, exactly what sundial said. i would not compromise on this purchase if you have the $$ to spend. it doesn't mean you HAVE to spend it all but think about what you really want and don't just get what people say you should. you will be wearing them, not us.

seriously you guys kill me! how do you decide what to have for dinner? i guess that somehow works out or you'd starve. hahaha.
Lol!
9.gif
I live in a relatively small town and I have my husband alternate picking up food at various places the nights we don't cook. And who has time to cook when they work and are diamond shopping??? Unfortunately, I've gained a few extra pounds because of it, too!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, here''s the update. Our own John Q looked at the two pair of diamonds and called me. His pick hands down were the .7x''s! He said there was a bigger size difference than he realized, and the stones performed very well in the three kinds of lighting that he tried. He told me that a customer who was watching this said, "oh those stones are twins"...so in other words, they look identical in spite of the numbers not being exactly the same.

So now I have to sleep on this and decide which I REALLY want!???
23.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2006 5:19:34 PM
Author: Mara
bigger.
11.gif

no honestly, exactly what sundial said. i would not compromise on this purchase if you have the $$ to spend. it doesn''t mean you HAVE to spend it all but think about what you really want and don''t just get what people say you should. you will be wearing them, not us.

seriously you guys kill me! how do you decide what to have for dinner? i guess that somehow works out or you''d starve. hahaha.
I have never, I repeat never had this much trouble deciding something.
9.gif
And it didn''t help that I couldn''t SEE them.
25.gif
I''m size sensitive, what can I say? *sniff*

Frankly, I don''t even think I took that long. It took me longer to find the pair, than to decide if I wanted them. I''ve made my decision, and the old ones go back tomorrow.
11.gif
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha! Well, I''ll have to say that I can''t think of anything else that I''ve ordered sight unseen for thousands of dollars! I don''t much care if I make a wrong decision about a pair of shoes or something. In that case, I''d just buy two pair and not worry about it!

(And Ellen, I think Mara is still ahead of us in the upgrade department...so she can''t say too much to us
2.gif
)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2006 8:21:14 PM
Haha! Well, I'll have to say that I can't think of anything else that I've ordered sight unseen for thousands of dollars! I don't much care if I make a wrong decision about a pair of shoes or something. In that case, I'd just buy two pair and not worry about it!

(And Ellen, I think Mara is still ahead of us in the upgrade department...so she can't say too much to us
2.gif
)
Sure she can, cuz Mara already knows what she wants before she's gotten it. LMAO
9.gif

But it's easier to do when size is NOT an issue.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results