shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond size for earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2006 10:51:45 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Date: 10/12/2006 9:27:52 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
DS - I felt uncomfortable getting a ring stone that was in the SI range so i know what you mean there.... but I''d go to SI1 for earrings... unless I thought sometday I''d want to make them a ring or something... If I knew for certain that they''d only ever be earrings I *might* even go to SI2 but I have a thing against inclusions in general so I dunno lol Eye clean to me is ''can I see it at all ever with my naked eye'' LOL And with RB earrings that won''t have lookiloos trying to look through the pavillion at color hahaha - I think you''re safe with color too :)
Yeah, the VS2 thing is just because I can''t see the stones with a loupe in advance. If I could examine them, I''m sure there''d be a fair number of SI1''s that would be fine. It just brings a LOT more stones into the picture if I go down to SI1, and I am not sure how much more complicated I want this to get!
If you need earring stones that are loupe-worthy, then yes, I''d go for the VS2 also.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2006 12:25:05 AM
Author: headlight
Hey, the ''lobe lift'' is actually true -- I do have a ''saggying'' hole on one lobe and I have to wear either the plastic discs from Comfees.com to support an earring or get those ''monster backs'' from the jeweler. And forget about wearing wires -- those days are definitely over. I am certain it is caused by wearing grandma''s earrings.
wow, really? my diamonds aren''t heavy at all - if I leave them out overnight you can barely see my holes!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2006 10:09:43 AM
Author: asscherisme
Hi,
I actually like VS diamonds better than SI but thats my opinion. I can see SI1 flaws with my eyes. I''m very near sided and without my contacts or glasses I can see freakishly small things. I KNOW That normally you can''t see it with your bare eyes but it bugs me that I can see it.
I''m the same way but in my earrings that I can''t see myself and I''d hope no one would be inspecting from 4 inches on my head it doesn''t bother me lol I''ve no idea what the clarity on my diamonds is...

widget

Ideal_Rock
The only things I notice in other people''s studs is their size and their sparkle. Then finally maybe color.

If someone is close enough to discern their clarity grade, then they''re either a VERY dear friend, or I''m reaching for my pepper spray! LOL

widget

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2006 11:40:31 AM
Author: widget
The only things I notice in other people''s studs is their size and their sparkle. Then finally maybe color.

If someone is close enough to discern their clarity grade, then they''re either a VERY dear friend, or I''m reaching for my pepper spray! LOL

widget
ROTFL

And just for clarification, I did say eye clean was ok, more emphasis on color.
11.gif
9.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
They are here and I love them!!!!! LOVE the size and the sparkle and the setting. I will work on photos this weekend.

I opened the box and was blown away. I can''t believe they are an H color and and I color. And I am glas I went for the VS. One is VS1 and one is VS2 and both are AGS idea "O" cut.

I went to target after getting my son from preschool and when I got back into the car, the sun was shining through my moonroof right onto my ear. I must have looked SO vain because I sat there for a few minutes admiring the sparkle of my earring in the sun. How silly is that! I looked around first to make sure nobody I knew was there and nobody was looking in my direction. My son kept saying, mommy lets drive, lets GO! Hmmmm, my 4 kids have their toys and mommy has to have her toys as well :) too bad mine are so expensive!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GREAT!!! What do you think of the size on your ears???

Waiting for photos....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2006 1:14:17 PM
They are here and I love them!!!!! LOVE the size and the sparkle and the setting. I will work on photos this weekend.

I opened the box and was blown away. I can''t believe they are an H color and and I color. And I am glas I went for the VS. One is VS1 and one is VS2 and both are AGS idea ''O'' cut.

I went to target after getting my son from preschool and when I got back into the car, the sun was shining through my moonroof right onto my ear. I must have looked SO vain because I sat there for a few minutes admiring the sparkle of my earring in the sun. How silly is that! I looked around first to make sure nobody I knew was there and nobody was looking in my direction. My son kept saying, mommy lets drive, lets GO! Hmmmm, my 4 kids have their toys and mommy has to have her toys as well :) too bad mine are so expensive!!
Oh, my goodness!!! I just returned from getting my rings and there are all these messages! I am really dying to see the pictures of your new earrings! It sounds like they''d be right up my alley! I have to laugh about the car...I was on my way home watching my rings in the sunlight...and I actually took off the diamond before I handed the girl my money at the Chic-fil-A drive-thru because I was too self conscious! Haha! Please post pictures as soon as you can!

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
Rings huh, care to share?!?!?!!?! You can''t let the cat out of the bag like that and not expect us to catch it! PICS PICS PICS!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2006 10:27:46 AM
Author: headlight

Date: 10/13/2006 10:09:43 AM
Hi,
I actually like VS diamonds better than SI but thats my opinion. I can see SI1 flaws with my eyes. I''m very near sided and without my contacts or glasses I can see freakishly small things. I KNOW That normally you can''t see it with your bare eyes but it bugs me that I can see it.

Plus, I have 2 daugthers and I figure with something like earrings, one day maybe I can give each of my girls one of the stones if I ever decide to go larger. By getting VS and really nice cut she may choose to make it into a ring, even a RHR if she has a diamond from a husband. Or maybe a pendant from each. Who knows, but I personallly don''t think VS is a waste of money!

Oh, and I ordered those .61 each earrings I posted about. So I will let you know what I think of the size! And I''ll do my best to post a photo if you promise not to look to hard at my ugly ears. :) Unfortunately when I was in college I fell into the multiple piercing think that was so big in the ''80s and I have 3 holes in one ear and 2 in the other. Now I just regret it and never wear in the upper holes but the holes look like they are open and usable even though I have not worn earrings in them for at least 14 years.

My earrings are supposed to be here TODAY!!!! I am waiting for the fedex truck. I got my kiddies off to school and hope the driver gets here before 10:30 when I have to leave to get my son from preschool. The truck will probably come when I leave and I will come home to one of those annoying yellow or white ships that he missed me
7.gif
I like VS better, too, but I just suggested the SIs as an option toward going up in size and staying within the budget. If I had my drothers, all my stones would be D, VVS quality in the size I want!!!
I do not have daughters, so I think that I go into jewelry purchases with a different mind set than a mom w/ daughters. I have thought about perhaps offering each of my two sons one of the diamonds from the 5 ctw studs my grandmother gave me as the diamond for their future wives e-rings (2.5 ct each). We''ll have to see....
I am eager to see how you like your .61 each studs, as my .81 each studs are arriving today, as well. And I just KNOW I will be out when ''Brown'' stops by, so I''ll have to call and arrange to go down to the local station to p/u!
My goodness! This must be earring day! I can''t wait to see yours, too, Headlight!!!

I appreciate you girls saying that you prefer VS. Really, there is not much difference in SI1 and VS 2. There is a much bigger differential for color. The way I figure it, if you are spending several thousands of dollars, what ia a couple of hundred more per stone to upgrade to VS?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ds, have you gotten any pics? Still waiting here, looks like they won''t come before I leave.

Now, what about the ring??? Do you love it??? PICS???

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I agree diamondseeker, its not THAT much more to go up in clarity. And it gives more flexiblity in the future. As I said, when I get older I may want bigger ones and with the higher clarity and color, they would make a great RHR for my girls :) Although I can''t imagine getting tired of them, I love them!

The size is really great for everyday. I"m a stay at home tshirt and jeans kind of person. Often hair in pony tail. I''m in my 30s and drive a minivan (Hate the minivan but with so many kids its the practical choice). So with my lifestyle it fits in.

headlight, wow, 2.5ct EACH studs? I''m sure your future daughter in law would love those diamonds.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2006 1:30:51 PM
Author: Mokey
Rings huh, care to share?!?!?!!?! You can''t let the cat out of the bag like that and not expect us to catch it! PICS PICS PICS!!!
Haha! Well, I just got my new camera yesterday, so I have no idea how long it will take me to figure out how to work it plus get pictures loaded on the computer! But our older daughter will be home from college for the weekend, so she''ll help me eventually!

I am schizophrenic about this diamond...I had to be talked into getting a 1.63 because I thought it was too big. The after I had it a couple of weeks, it shrank and I decided I liked the size. It has been away for a few weeks being set, and now it really looks humongous again!!! So I was just thinking, okay, I can trade it in on a 1.4 with higher color. Then I call my sister to see if she wants my old earrings, and she tells me that she can''t believe I upgraded my diamond and didn''t get 2 cts.!!! So to her, it''s not going to be too big! Haha! See why I get crazy???

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
I can''t wait for pics! I understand your freak out, but you have to keep this one, it is perfection! It''ll shrink again, in a good way
31.gif
Do you like the setting though? How about with the band? Perfection?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2006 1:39:12 PM
Author: Ellen
ds, have you gotten any pics? Still waiting here, looks like they won''t come before I leave.

Well, I just answered some of that in my last post. But I will add that they did not get the head I had chosen. I relaly didn''t argue or ask why or how, but it did get set in a V head, but the stone is set as low as it can be. I''ve waited so long to get it set that I just wasn''t going to tell them to do it over at this point. It looks gorgeous from the top view in that it looks great with the Memoire band. I just need the diamond to shrink a little, because it is a little too much for me at this moment! Not the band though, it is perfect!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2006 1:14:17 PM

I opened the box and was blown away. I can''t believe they are an H color and and I color. And I am glas I went for the VS. One is VS1 and one is VS2 and both are AGS idea ''O'' cut.

36.gif
So you don''t feel they''re too big?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2006 1:44:07 PM
Date: 10/13/2006 1:39:12 PM

ds, have you gotten any pics? Still waiting here, looks like they won't come before I leave.

Well, I just answered some of that in my last post. But I will add that they did not get the head I had chosen. I relaly didn't argue or ask why or how, but it did get set in a V head, but the stone is set as low as it can be. I've waited so long to get it set that I just wasn't going to tell them to do it over at this point. It looks gorgeous from the top view in that it looks great with the Memoire band. I just need the diamond to shrink a little, because it is a little too much for me at this moment! Not the band though, it is perfect!!!
Aw, I'm sorry it's not exactly what you wanted. I would ask at some point, but I understand wanting to just get it home. And don't worry, it will shrink again, and probably very quickly, as you won't keep your eyes off it.
2.gif
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, aside from the rings, let me tell you what transpired about the earrings. After we finished with the rings, appraisal, etc., I told him that my sister might buy my diamond studs (which is true...I offered them to her husband this summer and he said maybe for Christmas) and that I might go a little smaller in size and up in quality, so I needed to see what stones looked like between .5 and .75. He said sure. So we walk over there and he says, well, if your sister doesn''t want them, just bring them here and I''ll let you TRADE THEM IN ON SOME THAT YOU LIKE BETTER!!!!
6.gif
I unfortunately didn''t have the darn things with me!!!!
32.gif

He told me I could choose from what he has or he could order stones that suited me. And I asked if I could just trade them for two smaller pairs for my daughters, and he said yes to that as well! Obviously I am not going to get mine there, but it was a HUGE relief to know that I wasn''t going to be stuck with those earrings that nobody wanted. They are far too large for my 21 year old to want to wear for the next 20 years (according to her!).

SO, I called my sister and said..I am selling or trading in my 1.5 ctw earrings and do you want them? She said that she didn''t want to ask her husband because he just got her around a 1 ct. pendant this summer for their anniversary. So I told her I had mentioned it to him this summer and he said he''d probably be interested but to ask him again in the fall. So she told me to ask him again when I go down there next weekend to visit my parents, etc.

Bottom line, I am hopeful to get a couple thousand dollars to apply toward my new earrings, and if not, I''ll trade them in on two smaller pairs for my girls which I''ll give each one for college graduation or something.

So this was a very productive day!!! Yay!
36.gif
Now to go figure out the camera!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But..I really didn''t try any on...he told me that he couldn''t see going down in size if I already had .75''s and I was excited about the prospect of being able to trade and knew I''d have to return anyway, so it seemed weird at that point to ask to try some on since I was steering the topic to getting much smaller ones for the girls. I''m too picky about the cut for him to try to get diamonds for mine.

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
That is a good day. Always nice to get some good news. I am sorry the head of your ring isn''t what you wanted. I hope that that works out for you. Can''t wait for pics! Sorry to threadjack!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2006 2:05:01 PM
Author: Mokey
That is a good day. Always nice to get some good news. I am sorry the head of your ring isn''t what you wanted. I hope that that works out for you. Can''t wait for pics! Sorry to threadjack!
Oh, thanks for asking about the rings! I''m glad I could tell someone since I can''t do a Show Me the Rimg thread yet! Only PS people understand not being happy with a ring head, so I am not too worried about the rest of the world because they''ll never know the difference! That''s why I didn''t freak out or anything! I''m going to see if I can adjust to it and if not, I''ll get them to try again.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey DS,
I saw your question to me in the other thread. The studs I got this summer from WF are 2.0 carats TCW, and are E VS2''s I think. Have to check the paper work.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2006 2:15:06 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Hey DS,
I saw your question to me in the other thread. The studs I got this summer from WF are 2.0 carats TCW, and are E VS2''s I think. Have to check the paper work.
Oooh, Lisa, now we NEED to see those!!! I think I am going to start a Show Me Your Diamond Studs thread so people can post ear shots of various sizes of studs all in one place to help people trying to decide on size. So I am thinking you''d agree with my jeweler that I shouldn''t downgrade in size since I already have 1.5 tcw? Please get a picture of your studs while you''re talking oval pictures!!! I''d LOVE to see them! Yum!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS you aren''t going to settle at this point are you????? come on dn''t do that!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2006 3:24:03 PM
DS you aren''t going to settle at this point are you????? come on dn''t do that!!!
Haha! You mean about the ring setting? I don''t know yet. I''ll have to see if it grows on me. The other one was an unknown, because they didn''t have one like it in stock. The ring is just beautiful quality...nice finish and all that. I just have to see if I can deal with the head versus driving an hour again, leaving the ring and doing without it again, and then going all the way back. The V head just makes it sit a little higher than I prefer.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ds, I take it WF didn''t send any pics? I didn''t get any yet...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2006 3:46:38 PM

Haha! You mean about the ring setting? I don''t know yet. I''ll have to see if it grows on me. The other one was an unknown, because they didn''t have one like it in stock. The ring is just beautiful quality...nice finish and all that. I just have to see if I can deal with the head versus driving an hour again, leaving the ring and doing without it again, and then going all the way back. The V head just makes it sit a little higher than I prefer.
for me the main factor in the decision would be whether this was the ring I was going to keep for a long time or not... if you are still looking for something more involved than a solitaire setting but you''re gonna wait a year or two or three, then I''d likely just keep the setting you have for the interm.... but if you really love the solitaire setting then it''s a small amount of time to pay now to get the ring you want to spend your life with. Besides, since THEY screwedup, I''d push for expediency. Not at the cost of quality, but still...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/15/2006 2:57:43 PM
No, I didn''t get any either. I just think they forgot, and that''s okay. I got so wrapped up in the rings that I couldn''t deal with the earrings, too. I wrote you a note about the rings just now on my ring thread. Please go over there and look when you get a chance. I''m glad you''re back!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/15/2006 4:09:43 PM

Date: 10/13/2006 3:46:38 PM

for me the main factor in the decision would be whether this was the ring I was going to keep for a long time or not... if you are still looking for something more involved than a solitaire setting but you''re gonna wait a year or two or three, then I''d likely just keep the setting you have for the interm.... but if you really love the solitaire setting then it''s a small amount of time to pay now to get the ring you want to spend your life with. Besides, since THEY screwedup, I''d push for expediency. Not at the cost of quality, but still...
You know, right now I like this ring a lot, so I could potentially keep it for a long time. I think it really shows off the stone well. But it will take me a little time to see if I can live with the height of the head. Actually, my original e-ring is just a generic tiffany with V prongs, so I don''t hate them totally. I am just used to my old one being set very low.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2006 5:09:00 PM

Date: 10/15/2006 2:57:43 PM
No, I didn''t get any either. I just think they forgot, and that''s okay. I got so wrapped up in the rings that I couldn''t deal with the earrings, too. I wrote you a note about the rings just now on my ring thread. Please go over there and look when you get a chance. I''m glad you''re back!!!
Yeah, I think they got busy. I''m gonna drop Lesley a note.

And thanks, it''s good to be back. Funny, I was walking through a huge gift shop, and in the lobby was a computer, I guess it was for public use, not sure. For an instant I thought, oooh, I could look at ds''s rings real quick. Then I thought, not.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results