shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond ring + Brilliant Earth advice

smarti51

Rough_Rock
Hi there, I'm looking for help/advice and was recommended this forum.

Having made the decision to propose to my girlfriend of eight years, I have been going about the business of finding an engagement ring over the past month or so. I pretty much know what the specifics of the diamond will be but where I need advice is this: I want a guarantee of a non-conflict related diamond and, as such, am drawn to purchasing a Brilliant Earth diamond.

However, I have read elsewhere of problems with the stones falling out of their settings (admittedly a small percentage, but enough to have me worried as I live in the UK and would be taking a bit of a gamble ordering from a US-based company).

My current persuasion is to order a loose princess cut diamond from BE (likely between £1700-£2200, all between 0.5-0.72ct, at least E colour, Vs1 clarity or higher, at least Very Good symmetry and Very Good polish) and visit a local jeweller to choose a setting (likely platinum, probably plain). I have contacted a few and this would cost me between £700-£1200 depending on the type of setting I selected.

So my question is two-fold: 1) Am I taking too much of a risk in ordering from BE at all? and 2) Likewise, am I overcomplicating this by considering buying a loose diamond and setting separately?

Any and all advice/experience/opinions welcome on this – it is unbelievably important after all!

Thanks in advance and if you would like to know any other related information please ask.

Mods - I did read the FAQs and searched for BE-related content before posting.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
A few points:

1. Is there a specific reason you are going so high in colour? An E is much higher than the PS community usually recommends (let alone at at least E - there's only one colour grade higher!!!). You can safely descend the colour grade a bit without huge sacrifices and a significant gain in size

2. You need to see fancy cuts in order to judge their performance: polish and symmetry don't tell you much. You need an ASET and a visual of the stone at the very minimum and you cannot get these at Brilliant Earth (unless you can via special request) - and no one on PS will recommend buying a fancy unseen.

3. Are you SURE your girl wants a princess? They are somewhat out of style at the moment (at least in North America) - I don't mean this at all in a cruel way (I have a marquise which is super out of style) just to say be certain before you commit.

4. Note that BE's approach is something of a gimmick: you can get the same guarantees of conflict free via other vendors.

5. If you can find/know of a good bench to make your setting in the UK, doing the whole operation separately will be a pain in the a$$. But do wait for other UK users to chime in.

Good luck :wavey:

smarti51

Rough_Rock
Fulvia|1471558570|4067467 said:
A few points:

1. Is there a specific reason you are going so high in colour? An E is much higher than the PS community usually recommends (let alone at at least E - there's only one colour grade higher!!!). You can safely descend the colour grade a bit without huge sacrifices and a significant gain in size

2. You need to see fancy cuts in order to judge their performance: polish and symmetry don't tell you much. You need an ASET and a visual of the stone at the very minimum and you cannot get these at Brilliant Earth (unless you can via special request) - and no one on PS will recommend buying a fancy unseen.

3. Are you SURE your girl wants a princess? They are somewhat out of style at the moment (at least in North America) - I don't mean this at all in a cruel way (I have a marquise which is super out of style) just to say be certain before you commit.

4. Note that BE's approach is something of a gimmick: you can get the same guarantees of conflict free via other vendors.

5. If you can find/know of a good bench to make your setting in the UK, doing the whole operation separately will be a pain in the a$$. But do wait for other UK users to chime in.

Good luck :wavey:

First off, thanks for your reply.

1) How much lower would you recommend going in terms of colour? I do like the idea of a 'bigger' diamond but I also read that, with a princess, it's not going to be much bigger without going beyond what I could afford.

2) This is part of why I am unsure if I'm simply taking too much of a risk. I must admit (this probably answers 4) the 'beyond non-conflict' mission statement chimes with me and is a large part of why I keep gravitating towards BE. RE: an unseen fancy, I've been disappointed with what I have to say is a surprising lack of choice in the jewellers that I can physically get to in order to see a diamond in person.

3) Yip. She's mentioned princess (solitaire) specifically over the years. She did, however, see a friend's round cut pavé recently and said it surprised her to like that, too.

5) As mentioned, I've contacted several businesses with in-shop servicing already and they've all had much the same price range for setting/mounting.

As you can probably tell - despite the fact I have done rather a lot of reading on the subject - I am woefully indecisive about this and genuinely any and all advice (specific to my query and more generally) will be wholeheartedly welcomed.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
I understand and appreciate your desire to go 'beyond conflict free' although it is not clear to me what the 'beyond' actually means beyond its rhetorical force. Either a diamond is conflict free or it isn't, and you can get the same reassurance of provenance from another vendor - BE, in other words, does not have the exclusive on conflict free. Given that BE will entail buying a fancy unseen, I would say absolutely not to buying from them - unless you are willing to switch to an MRB and then can make a decision based on the stats (I would say this is an attractive option if you are committed to BE).

As for the setting, I'm sure you can easily find a jeweller to set the stone in the UK, but what guarantee do you have of it being a good bench and doing a decent job? If you are going in 'blind' and without a recommendation, you are probably safer going with BE which will fix your setting no questions asked if you hate it or something goes wrong (and if you insure the ring you'll be covered if - worst case scenario - the stone gets lost).

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
And on colour: this is a very personal topic. I have Is and Js and would never go higher than that, but not here everyone would agree. This is part of why you need to see the stone - at least in a video.

smarti51

Rough_Rock
Fulvia|1471559859|4067478 said:
I understand and appreciate your desire to go 'beyond conflict free' although it is not clear to me what the 'beyond' actually means beyond its rhetorical force. Either a diamond is conflict free or it isn't, and you can get the same reassurance of provenance from another vendor - BE, in other words, does not have the exclusive on conflict free. Given that BE will entail buying a fancy unseen, I would say absolutely not to buying from them - unless you are willing to switch to an MRB and then can make a decision based on the stats (I would say this is an attractive option if you are committed to BE).

As for the setting, I'm sure you can easily find a jeweller to set the stone in the UK, but what guarantee do you have of it being a good bench and doing a decent job? If you are going in 'blind' and without a recommendation, you are probably safer going with BE which will fix your setting no questions asked if you hate it or something goes wrong (and if you insure the ring you'll be covered if - worst case scenario - the stone gets lost).

It's not the beyond-conflict-free term itself, it's their definition of it that was something I'd never seen before and which chimed with me personally (i.e. that the conflict-free term can be given to any that doesn't fund civil war but beyond-conflict-free takes it farther http://www.brilliantearth.com/conflict-free-diamonds/) < that definition specifically.

That said, you can see I'm uneasy about purchasing from them. Admittedly, that is mostly due to the fact I'm in the UK and wouldn't have the same payment options as US, Canada or Australian customers - not to mention the added import tax/VAT ramifications.

RE: Your MRB comment. Do you mean that it's my intended specific shape that is particularly unsuited to buying without seeing?

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
smarti51|1471560872|4067480 said:

It's not the beyond-conflict-free term itself, it's their definition of it that was something I'd never seen before and which chimed with me personally (i.e. that the conflict-free term can be given to any that doesn't fund civil war but beyond-conflict-free takes it farther http://www.brilliantearth.com/conflict-free-diamonds/) < that definition specifically.

That said, you can see I'm uneasy about purchasing from them. Admittedly, that is mostly due to the fact I'm in the UK and wouldn't have the same payment options as US, Canada or Australian customers - not to mention the added import tax/VAT ramifications.

RE: Your MRB comment. Do you mean that it's my intended specific shape that is particularly unsuited to buying without seeing?

Yes - precisely. An MRB can be purchased on specs alone because we have tools (the HCA) to measure its light performance using its measurements. This is impossible with fancy cuts like princess cuts.

smarti51

Rough_Rock
Fulvia|1471561117|4067482 said:

Yes - precisely. An MRB can be purchased on specs alone because we have tools (the HCA) to measure its light performance using its measurements. This is impossible with fancy cuts like princess cuts.

I understand. Then it seems that, pardon the pun, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with this. I'm not sure I'd feel 'right' to not get a princess cut for her even if I may be able to get a bigger/better/easier-to-gauge MRB.

My biggest problem - besides general indecisiveness, obviously - is that I'm simply not sure where to give a little in terms of characteristics.

I know she would like a diamond that stands out for both it's size and sparkle, but am 100% sure she does not want what - in both our opinions - is a bit large, 'complicated' and tad old-fashioned-looking piece like this:

sorrie.jpg

Yet she seemed to like this:

mo.jpg mo2.jpg

smarti51

Rough_Rock
I asked about ASET (I've been corresponding with BE as I had some questions with regards to the fact I live in the UK). The response was as follows:

As for the ASET image, this is really only an image that is helpful with round diamonds and not for fancy shapes. The diamonds you are looking at are extremely high quality which will all be stunning

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
smarti51|1471563225|4067491 said:
I asked about ASET (I've been corresponding with BE as I had some questions with regards to the fact I live in the UK). The response was as follows:

As for the ASET image, this is really only an image that is helpful with round diamonds and not for fancy shapes. The diamonds you are looking at are extremely high quality which will all be stunning

Wow! BE is lying to you - please have a quick look on these forums to see that in almost every single instance PSers recommend an ASET for evaluating fancy shapes. ASET will tell you about light leakage and therefore about a diamond's light performance. It is essential for evaluating a diamond's cut which is the key to its performance. No one will recommend buying a fancy unseen unless it has been vetted by a trusted expert.

Massive fail on BE's part, and maddening to see them fudging the truth to get a sale. This answer is also exceedingly vague - all these diamonds are 'extremely high quality'. In terms of what? Colour, clarity? If you still want to work with them, I recommend getting an MRB which you can judge from stats.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
One more thing:

if you get an MRB instead of a princess, you will get a bigger face-up (i.e. an increase in actual dimensions) for the same carat weight and can go down to a J (if the wearer isn't extremely colour sensitive). A princess in your budget will look much smaller than your inspiration ring, for princesses face up quite small.

Actually, two:

Princesses are prone to chipping and cracking because of their pointed corners. Another point for MRB.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
smarti51|1471562279|4067487 said:
I understand. Then it seems that, pardon the pun, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with this. I'm not sure I'd feel 'right' to not get a princess cut for her even if I may be able to get a bigger/better/easier-to-gauge MRB.
[...]
mo.jpg mo2.jpg
I feel like I'm missing something but if she seems to like the latter, a round, why would it feel wrong to not get her a princess cut? Has she expressed a preference for a princess cut? Does she have a Pinterest you can look up or post up here? Has she tried any rings on and gotten a feel for what she likes in reality vs in theory?

smarti51

Rough_Rock
foxinsox|1471567756|4067505 said:
smarti51|1471562279|4067487 said:
[...]
mo.jpg mo2.jpg
I feel like I'm missing something but if she seems to like the latter, a round, why would it feel wrong to not get her a princess cut? Has she expressed a preference for a princess cut? Does she have a Pinterest you can look up or post up here? Has she tried any rings on and gotten a feel for what she likes in reality vs in theory?

Because that's so far the only time she's done so with anything other than a princess. Nah, no Pinterest unfortunately. A few of her friends are engaged and - so far as I can tell - all have different types of shapes and settings (no princesses among them) yet she hasn't been particularly fond of any of those.

smarti51

Rough_Rock
Fulvia|1471565340|4067497 said:
smarti51|1471563225|4067491 said:

Wow! BE is lying to you - please have a quick look on these forums to see that in almost every single instance PSers recommend an ASET for evaluating fancy shapes. ASET will tell you about light leakage and therefore about a diamond's light performance. It is essential for evaluating a diamond's cut which is the key to its performance. No one will recommend buying a fancy unseen unless it has been vetted by a trusted expert.

Massive fail on BE's part, and maddening to see them fudging the truth to get a sale. This answer is also exceedingly vague - all these diamonds are 'extremely high quality'. In terms of what? Colour, clarity? If you still want to work with them, I recommend getting an MRB which you can judge from stats.

I am definitely reconsidering this given your responses on the matter, I must admit. Thank you for getting involved.

Out of interest, where do websites such as Whiteflash which seem to show both an ASET and idealscope online sit with you?

Edit: that hyperlink you recommended isn't a thread it's the site's diamond guide, just wondering if that was intentional or a mistake?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Smarti51 :)

Firstly, re BE - I think the portion of stones 'falling out of the setting' would be so small as to be not worth considering. I think this is a non-relevant concern.

Secondly, if your girl has said she wants a princess cut stone - a princess cut stone it must be! Don't let forums and strangers talk you out of what she's consistently said to you for years.

Thirdly, ASETs are ESSENTIAL for fancies (anything not a round cut), as they are virtually impossible to gauge for light return sight-unseen.

Fourthly, WhiteFlash is a wonderful company. They have their A Cut Above line which really are the best of the best. A princess cut diamond can be a bit of a dead hole when it comes to light return if you don't choose wisely, and WF have the info and expertise you need. Going with them will be the safest you can ever be if you're buying a diamond sight unseen.

Re colour, I agree - you don't need an E colour. But I would stay at a G. I coloured stones and below can definitely show tint (and this is coming from someone whose e-ring is an I colour), so to be on the safe side, if very white is what you want, I'd get close to the colourless range, without paying for that premium - which means G.

I looked on the WF website and found a stone which I think would be an excellent choice for you. it's a .7ct G VS2 (will definitely be eye clean and anything more is a waste of money) and, more importantly, it has a lovely ASET with a great balance of light return which should give you plenty of twinkle. :)

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3520045.htm

Give them a call and ask about this and get them to eyeball it for you. They will also set it for you (and I've never heard of a stone falling out with a White Flash setting!) and they're familiar with the process of shipping overseas. They should also be able to tell you the provenance of their stones.

Here's a couple of settings that would work well and which reflect the sorts of things your girl has said she'd like. I'd go with the Vatche settings; they're custom made to each individual stone, and their workmanship is truly delicate and wonderful!

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/danhov-cl138-classico-single-shank-diamond-engagement-ring-4626.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/aurora-diamond-engagement-ring-for-princess-cut-diamonds-by-vatche-1761.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/inara-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1653.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/alegria-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1651.htm

Hope this helps!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mrs. B nailed it. Brilliant earth is not recommended on here for a reason. I would go with an in house WF setting though personally. Like the legato pave.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Have you and she gone to the shops for ring trying? Over and over in this forum grooms-to-be discover, when they go and try on lots of different shapes and sizes of stones, that she only thought she wanted a " " (fill in the blank). The reality of her hands, her finger size and shape, and the size stone that fits your budget, may be different than the theoretical stone she always dreamed of.

Go to some nice shops, have fun, try on lots of rings! Most people find this helpful.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sagefemme|1471580339|4067564 said:
Have you and she gone to the shops for ring trying? Over and over in this forum grooms-to-be discover, when they go and try on lots of different shapes and sizes of stones, that she only thought she wanted a " " (fill in the blank). The reality of her hands, her finger size and shape, and the size stone that fits your budget, may be different than the theoretical stone she always dreamed of.

Go to some nice shops, have fun, try on lots of rings! Most people find this helpful.
Strongly agree.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
mrs-blop|1471574765|4067533 said:

Firstly, re BE - I think the portion of stones 'falling out of the setting' would be so small as to be not worth considering. I think this is a non-relevant concern.

Secondly, if your girl has said she wants a princess cut stone - a princess cut stone it must be! Don't let forums and strangers talk you out of what she's consistently said to you for years.

Thirdly, ASETs are ESSENTIAL for fancies (anything not a round cut), as they are virtually impossible to gauge for light return sight-unseen.

Fourthly, WhiteFlash is a wonderful company. They have their A Cut Above line which really are the best of the best. A princess cut diamond can be a bit of a dead hole when it comes to light return if you don't choose wisely, and WF have the info and expertise you need. Going with them will be the safest you can ever be if you're buying a diamond sight unseen.

Re colour, I agree - you don't need an E colour. But I would stay at a G. I coloured stones and below can definitely show tint (and this is coming from someone whose e-ring is an I colour), so to be on the safe side, if very white is what you want, I'd get close to the colourless range, without paying for that premium - which means G.

I looked on the WF website and found a stone which I think would be an excellent choice for you. it's a .7ct G VS2 (will definitely be eye clean and anything more is a waste of money) and, more importantly, it has a lovely ASET with a great balance of light return which should give you plenty of twinkle. :)

Give them a call and ask about this and get them to eyeball it for you. They will also set it for you (and I've never heard of a stone falling out with a White Flash setting!) and they're familiar with the process of shipping overseas. They should also be able to tell you the provenance of their stones.

Here's a couple of settings that would work well and which reflect the sorts of things your girl has said she'd like. I'd go with the Vatche settings; they're custom made to each individual stone, and their workmanship is truly delicate and wonderful!

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/danhov-cl138-classico-single-shank-diamond-engagement-ring-4626.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/aurora-diamond-engagement-ring-for-princess-cut-diamonds-by-vatche-1761.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/inara-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1653.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/alegria-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1651.htm

Hope this helps!

For the record, I agree with Mrs. B. entirely - WF is the vendor to go with for a lovely princess.

BUT I suggested a MRB because OP insists he is ideologically opposed to going with any vendor other than BE because of its 'beyond conflict free' rhetoric. OP also mentioned that his girlfriend recently said she loved an MRB he friend got. An MRB at BE seems, then, to be a decent compromise.

OP: It also just struck me that if you go with a separate jeweller to set the diamond (although Mrs. B. is right when she says that this is really not something you ought to be realistically concerned about), how will you know that the diamonds in the pave are 'beyond conflict free', too?

smarti51

Rough_Rock
Fulvia|1471602428|4067617 said:

Hope this helps!

For the record, I agree with Mrs. B. entirely - WF is the vendor to go with for a lovely princess.

BUT I suggested a MRB because OP insists he is ideologically opposed to going with any vendor other than BE because of its 'beyond conflict free' rhetoric. OP also mentioned that his girlfriend recently said she loved an MRB he friend got. An MRB at BE seems, then, to be a decent compromise.

OP: It also just struck me that if you go with a separate jeweller to set the diamond (although Mrs. B. is right when she says that this is really not something you ought to be realistically concerned about), how will you know that the diamonds in the pave are 'beyond conflict free', too?

Thanks, I'll keep this all in mind.

RE: Separate jeweller. I mentioned in my original post that the platinum would likely be plain. Despite this one mention of the friend's ring, she's always expressed preference for the more simple look (i.e. just the centre stone).

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

SNIP
[/b]

There are several companies on this forum that meet or exceed the standards set in that link you gave. I think that forum rules would prohibit me from nitpicking and dissecting the details of it, so I shall refrain.

Fulvia, I really like both your thoughtful appearing avatar and especially your thoughtful and helpful replies. I do not think I have seen your posts before.

Welcome to Pricescope!

Wink

smarti51

Rough_Rock
Wink|1471618973|4067669 said:

SNIP
[/b]

There are several companies on this forum that meet or exceed the standards set in that link you gave. I think that forum rules would prohibit me from nitpicking and dissecting the details of it, so I shall refrain.

Fulvia, I really like both your thoughtful appearing avatar and especially your thoughtful and helpful replies. I do not think I have seen your posts before.

Welcome to Pricescope!

Wink

Thanks for your reply. Are there any you would recommend specifically?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Go to any of the companies with strong reviews here and read their "Conflict Diamond" pages.

Wink

smarti51

Rough_Rock
Wink|1471620167|4067675 said:
Go to any of the companies with strong reviews here and read their "Conflict Diamond" pages.

Wink

I have been through a fair few, just asking if you have any specific recommendations after your last post.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Wink|1471618973|4067669 said:

SNIP
[/b]

Welcome to Pricescope!

Wink

Thanks, Wink! :wavey:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smarti51|1471618601|4067668 said:

Hope this helps!

RE: Separate jeweller. I mentioned in my original post that the platinum would likely be plain. Despite this one mention of the friend's ring, she's always expressed preference for the more simple look (i.e. just the centre stone).

smarti51 -

Did you happen to take a moment and check the diamond to which I linked you?

Here's the link to the WF page on conflict free diamonds; it seems they 'make the grade' in this regard:

http://www.whiteflash.com/conflict-free-diamonds

Here'a a c&p from their page about their response to conflict diamonds; it seems to address (at least - and more) the issues BE says they address also, in that they speak to each of the same issues (labor, human rights abuses, not selling products that fund wars and so on), but, further, have a line of jewelry with sales that go specifically to assisting children affected by the effects of diamonds mined in non-ethical manners.

"The Whiteflash Response

Whiteflash is dedicated to playing a positive role and being part of the solution. That is why we have joined the United Nations Global Compact. The UN Global Compact is ‘a strategic policy initiative for businesses that are committed to aligning their operations and strategies with ten universally accepted principles in the areas of human rights, labor, environment and anti-corruption. By doing so, business, as a primary driver of globalization, can help ensure that markets, commerce, technology and finance advance in ways that benefit economies and societies everywhere.’

To further these goals Whiteflash is also proud to be a member of the Diamond Development Initiative (DDI). The DDI is specifically working to ensure that communities involved in small scale and artisanal mining are benefiting from the resource.

And we have taken our commitment to a step farther. We manufacture a special line of themed jewelry called Dreams of Africa, and operate a special website to market the products. All of the profits of sales from this website are donated to World Centers for Compassion for Children (WCCCI). This outstanding organization is providing direct relief to families in communities affected by conflict diamonds."

Also - did you scroll through their settings? If pave is not what you want, they have some lovely plain shank settings.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
smarti51|1471620432|4067676 said:

Wink

I have been through a fair few, just asking if you have any specific recommendations after your last post.

Since I am a trade member I am not allowed to recommend or criticize businesses.

That said: Maybe some of our consumer regulars can link pages here for you.

Wink

smarti51

Rough_Rock
mrs-blop|1471624670|4067709 said:
smarti51|1471618601|4067668 said:

Hope this helps!

smarti51 -

Did you happen to take a moment and check the diamond to which I linked you?

Here's the link to the WF page on conflict free diamonds; it seems they 'make the grade' in this regard:

http://www.whiteflash.com/conflict-free-diamonds

Also - did you scroll through their settings? If pave is not what you want, they have some lovely plain shank settings.

Yes, apologies for not responding to that post sooner! All your suggestions were lovely and appreciated (if a tad out of my price range when all is added together + cost of importing to UK, etc.).

Naturally, I've had a look around the website and a couple of diamonds have caught my eye. The fact they supply ideal-scope and ASET images is a draw.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1471624743|4067711 said:
smarti51|1471620432|4067676 said:

Wink

Since I am a trade member I am not allowed to recommend or criticize businesses.

That said: Maybe some of our consumer regulars can link pages here for you.

Wink

Done. :) See above. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results