carat
color
clarity

Diamond ring + Brilliant Earth advice

smarti51

Rough_Rock
Rhea|1472495733|4071218 said:
smarti51|1472495097|4071213 said:
Resizing shouldn't be an issue (assuming I have her size correct) and neither should the colour if I'm going with the X1, correct me if I'm wrong? But let's say she does want/need to resize at some point - are you saying you don't think I could get it done easily enough over here without sending it over to WF to have it done officially? Unsure if that option voids anything with them but aside from that.

My fingers changed size in the 13 years since I got engaged :lol: I had problems, both with matching a wedding ring, and later an anniversary ring as well as getting my engagement ring resized. My wedding ring is from the US even though it's plain 14k, my anniversary ring is a 18ct from the UK and the colour of the gold is different, and my engagement ring is 14k with retipped and resized in 18ct.

My only concern was that since I hadn't found 14k over here, in the UK easily, that you would have the same problems I've dealt with. It's not a huge deal, just something to consider, but you and Molly have sussed it out. So after years of mis-matched rings I'm heading back to my jeweller to see if I can get a matching resize and hoping to replace my abused wedding ring with a new court fit one. I have too much metal showing in my wedding set to appreciate the unmatching rings I have! They look like CFlutist's rings at the moment!

Hopefully so.

I was just wondering if I should now have concerns about getting X1 based on the fact I'm in the UK.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I unintentionally threw a spanner, which it turns out doesn't apply, into the work. You know local jewellers who work in 14k gold. You know where to order plain bands from. If you want, to put your mind at rest, you could always call one of those local jewellers tomorrow, before WF opens and just make sure they can do repair or resize work in 14k. Then just move on and buy them. You found a great stone. You found a great setting. It's in the style she wants at a price you can afford. Pat yourself on the back, propose to her in a few weeks and get on with that wedding planning!

smarti51

Rough_Rock
Rhea|1472499012|4071233 said:
No. I unintentionally threw a spanner, which it turns out doesn't apply, into the work. You know local jewellers who work in 14k gold. You know where to order plain bands from. If you want, to put your mind at rest, you could always call one of those local jewellers tomorrow, before WF opens and just make sure they can do repair or resize work in 14k. Then just move on and buy them. You found a great stone. You found a great setting. It's in the style she wants at a price you can afford. Pat yourself on the back, propose to her in a few weeks and get on with that wedding planning!

:lol:

OK, just thought I'd check. Thanks for all your input regardless! Should have final quotes from WF tomorrow and - barring any hold-ups such as Stuller not making any of the settings for <1ct diamonds - I'll be ready to kick-start the process and hopefully have it in my hand by mid-October.

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock
I have read a bit of this thread and I wanted to mention something about the colour...
I am English although I live in the US and people definitely do care about colour more than size in England. I bought my ring in England. I can't see a difference between D, E, F colours but I CAN see a difference between my D stone and a stone of G and H downwards. I am really sensitive to it.
If her friends have colorless diamonds which they probably do have small colorless diamonds they may notice or talk (girls talk ) about the colour.
In America no one really cares, it's more important to be big and sparkly.
So to those people to say colour doesn't matter, in the UK it does matter more and most people have more discrete stones so size and bling is less important.

smarti51

Rough_Rock
chamomiletea|1472510310|4071272 said:
I have read a bit of this thread and I wanted to mention something about the colour...
I am English although I live in the US and people definitely do care about colour more than size in England. I bought my ring in England. I can't see a difference between D, E, F colours but I CAN see a difference between my D stone and a stone of G and H downwards. I am really sensitive to it.
If her friends have colorless diamonds which they probably do have small colorless diamonds they may notice or talk (girls talk ) about the colour.
In America no one really cares, it's more important to be big and sparkly.
So to those people to say colour doesn't matter, in the UK it does matter more and most people have more discrete stones so size and bling is less important.

I'm from Scotland but I think the same applies up here most of the time. The stone I'll be getting is 0.61ct F VS2. The larger stones I have seen (specifically one of the photos I posted one or two pages back in this thread) don't have much colour in person, in fact the one I'm talking about is rather glass-like.

Besides that, the others she may be photographed with -or just be actively discussing rings with while physically being next to the people - are both very different in style to the one I'm getting her. They're what I (and she) would term as fairly old-fashioned looking.

smarti51

Rough_Rock
Got quotes back from WF. I can afford both settings in 14k white gold, 14 X1 white gold and on is available in palladium.

I reckon I'll go with 14k X1 unless there are any last-minute advocates for palladium?

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock
smarti51 said:
Got quotes back from WF. I can afford both settings in 14k white gold, 14 X1 white gold and on is available in palladium.

I reckon I'll go with 14k X1 unless there are any last-minute advocates for palladium?
Go with the x1 imo.

Which setting did you choose?

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock

smarti51

Rough_Rock
shaggy1|1472586466|4071538 said:
smarti51 said:
I'm still in the midst of deciding between these two:

http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122969/12582861/?groupId=194062#/mounting-options

http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122089/10315469/?groupId=120319#/mounting-options

Both the same price for X1, really I just have to come to a decision on whether I prefer the slight taper in the second one or not.

FWIW I prefer the second one. I do like the slight taper.

I do, too. The first one is the thinner band, though, which also appeals to me. It's a toss-up!

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock
smarti51 said:
shaggy1|1472586466|4071538 said:
smarti51 said:
I'm still in the midst of deciding between these two:

http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122969/12582861/?groupId=194062#/mounting-options

http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122089/10315469/?groupId=120319#/mounting-options

Both the same price for X1, really I just have to come to a decision on whether I prefer the slight taper in the second one or not.

FWIW I prefer the second one. I do like the slight taper.

I do, too. The first one is the thinner band, though, which also appeals to me. It's a toss-up!
Thinner bands are overrated in my opinion. Those two are so similar I doubt you will even notice the difference in thickness

smarti51

Rough_Rock
So I just received the photos from WF. What do you guys think? It looks a tad thicker than I thought it would in terms of the band and the prongs but overall quite happy and I think she'll like it.

x1-solitaire-engagement-ring-in-14k-white-gold-from-whiteflash_45704_25297_a.jpg
x1-solitaire-engagement-ring-in-14k-white-gold-from-whiteflash_45704_25297_g.jpg x1-solitaire-engagement-ring-in-14k-white-gold-from-whiteflash_45704_25297_ttr.jpg x1-solitaire-engagement-ring-in-14k-white-gold-from-whiteflash_45704_25297_top.jpg

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
smarti51|1474574722|4079661 said:
So I just received the photos from WF. What do you guys think? It looks a tad thicker than I thought it would in terms of the band and the prongs but overall quite happy and I think she'll like it.

x1-solitaire-engagement-ring-in-14k-white-gold-from-whiteflash_45704_25297_a.jpg
x1-solitaire-engagement-ring-in-14k-white-gold-from-whiteflash_45704_25297_g.jpg x1-solitaire-engagement-ring-in-14k-white-gold-from-whiteflash_45704_25297_ttr.jpg x1-solitaire-engagement-ring-in-14k-white-gold-from-whiteflash_45704_25297_top.jpg

I think you did a wonderful job and have nothing to worry about!

smarti51

Rough_Rock
Thank you! It's en route as we speak so fingers crossed it's as nice in person.

Once again a massive thank you to everyone who commented on this thread and helped me choose. :mrgreen:

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock
Looks great!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results