shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond opinions ? Experts pls help

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok i did that. It is so strange as i always edit my posts - but this one it wont allow me to - i did report concern. thank you

If you are on mobile it’s slightly different. Possibly the culprit? Or maybe you exceeded the time window for self edit/deletion.

9B5F7564-5459-4B21-BB49-C8847E95A27F.jpeg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Omg this is great!!!!!
My concern is (forgive me if this is dumb) will the gsi1 feel smaller then my warm k that’s 1.08?

I love the wf upgrade policy
currently torn between

The gsi1 and this

Egd about 7500 all in
Lgd about 2700 all in

Egd comes with upgrade wonderful policy
But the lgd saves me about 5k

Ughhh

If you ever think you will upgrade, then you have your answer.

Did you have WF do a side by side of the G with the I color? I still think you should order an ACA to look at in person.

Do you absolutely want a pendant? Perhaps you could get a quote from Abe Mor for your K color so you have all the information in hand.

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock

Did you have WF do a side by side of the G with the I color? I still think you should order an ACA to look at in person.

Do you absolutely want a pendant? Perhaps you could get a quote from Abe Mor for your K color so you have all the information in hand.

I think I should keep the k. I feel guilty selling it as he got it for me and there’s a funny lovely story around the ring, between when he got it and when he proposed and I’d hate to not have the stone when I’m old. Even if I don’t love it. So pendant made sense.

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
I’m back on my mobile and will be driving but you can go to the diamdb.com website I linked above with the screen captures and enter the data for the K stone and WF stone to see that comparison.

Or someone else may do it and share screen caps in my brief absence while I travel.

I’ll do it!

Also so strange but the edit and delete options are now gone for me.

I edit my posts all the time by clicking that down arrow and now it’s gone.

How strange

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Ok I think there’s something wrong with my eyes

I did the size comparisons and I do not see a difference in either

Lol

1) my k to the .95 gsi1

2) my k to the 1.11 lgd f vs2

That’s so weird

Attachments

• IMG_5091.jpeg
    IMG_5091.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5093.jpeg
    IMG_5093.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 18

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock

Yeah. I kind of think the gsi is it
I’m still on the fence but yes maybe at 10 yr or 20yr or when I turn 50!
I’d like to upgrade ! lol
So, then it makes more sense to get the gsi1

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I think there’s something wrong with my eyes

I did the size comparisons and I do not see a difference in either

Lol

1) my k to the .95 gsi1

2) my k to the 1.11 lgd f vs2

That’s so weird

Nothing wrong with your eyes. I don't really see a difference either. The point is that small differences in ct weight are rarely visible to the naked eye

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Nothing wrong with your eyes. I don't really see a difference either. The point is that small differences in ct weight are rarely visible to the naked eye

It’s all amazing to me. So many people don’t know this. I didn’t !

Thanks for comments as I go. This one is a long story.

Appreciate all feedback everyone is giving !

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many people think they will never upgrade. However, time can change perceptions about what feels right and circumstances can change making an upgrade economically feasible. Not having to worry about losing money or finding a buyer are alleviated with a great upgrade policy. I was so excited over my first ACA. It was like a dream come true for me as these great stones were not available when I was engaged. The internet didn’t exist and this knowledge about fabulous diamond cut just wasn’t out there for the public at large. Having said all of that, I decided that I wanted an even larger ACA and utilized the upgrade policy. I had not a fleeting thought of that with my first ACA - so learned to never say never!
The LGD market has really taken off - the most obvious reason is price. Some folks won’t entertain them, some want an EGD for their engagement ring but will consider them for other pieces, and some are full on LGD. It is a very personal decision and only you can make it.
You have already waded through a ton of info and opinions in a very short time! The only correct choice is the one that is right for you and your fiancé. You are getting a chance at a redo, so go with the option that makes your heart sing and your knees weak. A diamond can be as much an emotional purchase as it is a product purchase.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also so strange but the edit and delete options are now gone for me.

I edit my posts all the time by clicking that down arrow and now it’s gone.

How strange

The option to edit or delete your own post is time sensitive. I can’t recall the exact time but it’s relatively short, like an hour or so. Afterwards the buttons disappear and you will need to contact a mod to have corrections/deletions made.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
The option to edit or delete your own post is time sensitive. I can’t recall the exact time but it’s relatively short, like an hour or so. Afterwards the buttons disappear and you will need to contact a mod to have corrections/deletions made.

Yep... I'm pretty sure that the limit is 45 minutes.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF’s upgrade policy is very powerful when you recognize the sideways trades you can also make. For instance let’s say you did want to gamble on a 1+ carat I colored stone. You get it and love it but want something with less tint. As long as you trade for equal or higher dollars you could swap out the smaller G so you are able to gain color without sacrificing size and minimizing your out of pocket expense.

Or it may go the other way around. Maybe a K in a super ideal is fine for you. You may be able to squeeze a little more size out for nearly the same dollars.

And instead of waiting 10 or 20 years for an upgrade you may find it easier to slowly upgrade over time as your discretionary income increases or maybe you get bonuses, etc.

I bought my wife a super ideal from BGD with the mindset an upgrade nice but not super valuable to me at the time. I still have a decent program but it requires I upgrade at least 2 of the following 3 C’s: color, clarity or carat. This isn’t super conducive to sideways trading and can be limiting when you start at higher colors and clarities. Her stone is an H/VS2 so we have some wiggle room but if I was as savvy back then I may have evaluated my choices differently.

Really it just boils down to having lots of options not currently available to you. Also, I know you said changing the setting was off the table, but WF also has a trade policy for their designer brands that allows you to get 50% of those values also making it even easier and less expensive to trade as your heart desires.

One of the negatives with purchasing a lab grown is there are no upgrade policies available that make it easy trading up. It’s more of a “one and done” deal and if you want something different you continuously start over. Of course prices are much cheaper also so this may still be the cheapest route assuming you don’t have other “mind clean” issues with lab growns. I want to be very careful and clear I am not saying one is better than the other but rather you have to consider a bunch of various factors. As always arming yourself with knowledge is the best way to make a decision that is good for your short term and long term happiness.

CC163A15-F81D-44F7-8609-2A08933B7879.jpeg

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Hi All
Questions. if i end up getting a new setting and/or wedding band from wf, how would i handle getting it cleaned? getting prongs checked?
etc?

I like the idea of my band and setting being from a local place that i can drive to in 15 minutes to get Maintenace type things done. If i change setting and get band from wf, how would i keep up with regular Maintenace?

Just curious!

Local place i can get that curved band in platinum that i put pics on for 1180. wf can't come close to that price.

if i upgrade my stone down the line i will likely need a new setting to hold the larger stone. LOL - so wondering about Maintenace for that.

Still considering either Gsi1 or the lab 1.11 but wanted to hear your thoughts on above.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All
Questions. if i end up getting a new setting and/or wedding band from wf, how would i handle getting it cleaned? getting prongs checked?
etc?

I like the idea of my band and setting being from a local place that i can drive to in 15 minutes to get Maintenace type things done. If i change setting and get band from wf, how would i keep up with regular Maintenace?

Just curious!

Local place i can get that curved band in platinum that i put pics on for 1180. wf can't come close to that price.

if i upgrade my stone down the line i will likely need a new setting to hold the larger stone. LOL - so wondering about Maintenace for that.

Still considering either Gsi1 or the lab 1.11 but wanted to hear your thoughts on above.

Any jeweler will provide cleaning - you don't have to buy from them to get that. You can also clean your own jewelry with Dawn dishwashing liquid and warm water. Not a big deal. Most jewelers will check your prongs for you too. You would seldom, if ever, need maintenance on your prongs. If you needed that, you would have to pay for it. None of these things should factor into where you buy your jewelry. Even mall jewelers who offer free cleaning for life will not repair prongs and such UNLESS you buy an extended warranty from them. Those gimmick claims are just to get you back into their store every six months or so in hopes they can show you something else or to trade in with them. Most of them require that you spend at least 50% more to trade.

None of these things should be a factor in considering what and where you buy.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The idea of maintenance is kind of a myth that brick and morter stores sometimes use to scare folks into buying from them. Any store will clean your ring for free. Prongs can be looked at with a home purchased loupe, and if they need to be fixed you can send to WF.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Let's be fair, here: Whiteflash also offers their Ultimate Care Plan:

WhiteFlashUCP.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's be fair, here: Whiteflash also offers their Ultimate Care Plan:

WhiteFlashUCP.jpg

I think they also offer a warranty for the first year as well free of charge.

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Any jeweler will provide cleaning - you don't have to buy from them to get that. You can also clean your own jewelry with Dawn dishwashing liquid and warm water. Not a big deal. Most jewelers will check your prongs for you too. You would seldom, if ever, need maintenance on your prongs. If you needed that, you would have to pay for it. None of these things should factor into where you buy your jewelry. Even mall jewelers who offer free cleaning for life will not repair prongs and such UNLESS you buy an extended warranty from them. Those gimmick claims are just to get you back into their store every six months or so in hopes they can show you something else or to trade in with them. Most of them require that you spend at least 50% more to trade.

None of these things should be a factor in considering what and where you buy.

WIll they? i didn't know this. So if i am at the mall i can go into a kays or zales and have them clean and check my rings? Is that what you all do?

I am torn on wedding band as my place is offering the curved one for $1180 in platinum - wf has one for $1548. no idea if this one is better then the one in my pics that i took a week or so ago at jeweler.

https://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-rings/amphora-diamond-wedding-ring-2358.htm

this is also why i asked the question about the local jeweler to go to and clean/check my rings.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WIll they? i didn't know this. So if i am at the mall i can go into a kays or zales and have them clean and check my rings? Is that what you all do?

I am torn on wedding band as my place is offering the curved one for $1180 in platinum - wf has one for $1548. no idea if this one is better then the one in my pics that i took a week or so ago at jeweler.

https://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-rings/amphora-diamond-wedding-ring-2358.htm

this is also why i asked the question about the local jeweler to go to and clean/check my rings.

No idea who your local jeweler is, but very likely WF will have better quality diamonds than the local guy in their bands. And yes, any zales, Kay's, etc can clean your rings, but you don't need them to. Dawn soap and water + toothbrush is all you need.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought my wife’s stone from BGD in Houston. Had it shipped to Los Angeles where David Klass crafted a custom setting and actually set the stone. It was then shipped back to me across the other side of the country where I proposed.

For routine cleanings and maintenance checks I use a local jeweler. Actually I’ve used a few as we’ve moved a few times, both in state and out of state.

At one of the places I used a Diamonds Direct which I really enjoyed. My first visit I simply explained the situation and let them know upfront I didn’t purchase from them, had no real intentions to make a purchase and was happy to pay for them to clean, inspect and let me use their high powered scope.

They were happy to help for ZERO dollars. The manager came to visit as he found the situation interesting. If you aren’t aware, at the time DD only dabbled in GIA stones so having bought a H&A stone, online nonetheless, with a custom setting and AGS graded stone that had traveled around the country was very unique to him.

After cleaning, it was blinging like crazy. Several associates were chatting and came over for a closer look. Me and the manager had a nice chat about diamonds in general and cut quality. So much that my wife had nudged me and was ready to go, lol.

Afterwards it was always easy and enjoyable to drop by for cleaning and inspection. It was because I set clear boundaries early on and then just found common interest and made a friend or two. That’s the best part IMO.

Anyhow, when we move I use the same technique. It has served me well. But the closest I got to a mall jeweler was DD. Instead I prefer to use smaller independent shops where I feel they are more service orientated.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I also use a good local jeweler to clean and check my ring. I didn’t buy it there but they do it for free. They also have their own bench in house which I like. I’ve sent a gemstone to David Klass and it went seamlessly, but I wouldn’t like a jeweler I don’t know we’ll sending my jewelry to another jeweler I don’t know to work on my jewelry.
I probably would not use a mall jeweler either. No reason to if there is a local one nearby.

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Ok thank you! I just remembered there is a local jeweler i had a ring made at a few years ago that i liked and could go to.

thank you!

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
What you say? Well you don't owe anyone an explanation but if asked, you could just be brief in truth -- you guys upgraded to a better cut & color and decided you wanted a different setting too. No one needs to know the rest.

In regards to size....see below. This comparison is using the 1.04 G/SI1 stone that your jeweler was proposing you upgrade to with him against the WF ACA 0.95 G/SI1.

1682550996625.png

1682550903617.png

This is great! i am learning so much from you all and i love the smile and frown faces.
I am waiting to hear back from WF -
Asked for video of the 1.11 lgd and .95gsi to see side by side.

i am leaning to the gsi1 that we keep talking about.
I think!

will keep you all posted.

also, likely wont change my setting now as i HOPE to upgrade in a few years (when i hit the lottery) and my guess is i would need a new setting then anyway

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is great! i am learning so much from you all and i love the smile and frown faces.
I am waiting to hear back from WF -
Asked for video of the 1.11 lgd and .95gsi to see side by side.

i am leaning to the gsi1 that we keep talking about.
I think!

will keep you all posted.

also, likely wont change my setting now as i HOPE to upgrade in a few years (when i hit the lottery) and my guess is i would need a new setting then anyway

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the 1.11 and 0.95 when you see them side-by-side. I have to admit I love the idea of the 0.95 for you as your e-ring.

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone
Got an update from wf. And I’m Still deciding …..

I’m going to let it sit over the weekend and make a decision early next week some time! I told them also.

I will circle back here as soon as I have a plan and will thank you all again for your help!

Have a great weekend everyone

Really can’t thank you all enough - you all posted such great helpful kind and informational things. I’m so thankful to everyone here

Wish we could all grab a drink !

Cheers :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The suspense is killing me. What’s the update from WF?

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
The suspense is killing me. What’s the update from WF?

Oh haha not much just prices they also sent me stones side by side. Literally can’t tell difference!!!!! Like at all. Oy ‍
Roughly:

7200 all in for gsi1 with pendant and all

2500 all in for 1.11 lg with pendant and all

So, I’m gonna mull it over for a few days, talk to fiancé and then decide

I’ll keep u posted and will likely update early next week! If anyone wants to post either what u think I should do OR what u guess I will do you can! My brain is split at the moment.

Only thing I DID decide on was necklace for my k! And I’m sooo excited about it. Yay.

IMG_5107.png

Attachments

• IMG_5111.png
    IMG_5111.png
    581 KB · Views: 16

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$4700.00 is a significant difference. I understand the conundrum. I just can’t tell you what to do because it does have to be a decision made by you and your fiancé. I don’t know how important it is to him to have your engagement ring be EGD but it is what he bought so that obviously was his intention. The side stones are EGD so would it bother you to have a LGD as the center stone? You seem to hint at a future upgrade if the funds are there, so trading in would be better than losing the investment. Even if you never upgrade, we will assume you will have this ring for many years moving forward. Do you honestly have a preference between EGD and LGD? Does it matter greatly? I say this because while it is a substantial difference, spread over many years it becomes less significant. On the other hand, if you really don’t care whether the center stone is EGD or LGD, the LGD is a bit larger and less expensive. You would have the LGD forever due to no trade in ability - unless you sold it outright. Finances change over time though so hopefully you could buy another ring if you wanted it.
I think it just comes down to your preference as a couple as to what kind of diamond you have. If you were choosing and money were no object, which would you choose? Just questions to ponder as you try to make the best decision for yourselves. There is no right or wrong; just what is right for you. Good luck with your deliberation and we will look forward to hearing about your decision. We will cheer you on no matter which way you go! I am happy for you that the pendant project seems decided and that you are happy with that selection.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results