shape
carat
color
clarity

decisions decisions....Please Help!

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
I had couple diamonds on hold for 48 hours.. and they were going to send me all info about color of diamonds and if they are eye clean... so I never got any additional information and diamonds are gone.. My luck. And while I was waiting for other two the last one that was posted here is gone too..;(

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I had couple diamonds on hold for 48 hours.. and they were going to send me all info about color of diamonds and if they are eye clean... so I never got any additional information and diamonds are gone.. My luck. And while I was waiting for other two the last one that was posted here is gone too..;(

That sucks. If there are diamonds posted on here please put them immediately on hold whilst you figure things out and chase responses etc. I'm sure there are lurkers who pounce on all the great diamonds suggested! :)

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
That sucks. If there are diamonds posted on here please put them immediately on hold whilst you figure things out and chase responses etc. I'm sure there are lurkers who pounce on all the great diamonds suggested! :)
I know, but how can I purchase a diamond without making sure if it’s eye clean? Especially if it’s si1.... and they didn’t provide me this information twice..

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
Inventory comes and goes within hours so don't lose hope....more stones are added periodically.

The crystal looks white to me in the video and if so, should be eye clean....https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

If you were willing to look at medium fluorescence again:
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab
thank you!! I think I will stick with faint or no fluorescence now...

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I know, but how can I purchase a diamond without making sure if it’s eye clean? Especially if it’s si1.... and they didn’t provide me this information twice..

No definitely, you do need to make sure it's eye clean. I guess it depends how easily they can get that information for you, and if they can sell it easily to someone who doesn't ask the sensible questions...

I do have to wonder still if you would be better, once you have made a choice, having the stone sent to you not set, so that you can see it before making that final commitment. I know that's a pain because of shipping but this is obviously quite a stressful process.

@ac117 is right, there will always be a turnover of inventory and it is right to be careful with your choice. I don't actually really understand how the hold process works really so not sure why you lost your hold or whether such things can be renewed etc.

When I have an opportunity I'll have a look too but I think you're likely to get better suggestions from others more experienced than me! :)

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock

I apologise if I shouldn't post this as it's above your budget, but here is a mind clean stone for you that has good numbers and an HCA of 1.6. Could you stretch? If so put it on hold and request an ASET and idealscope if available. If you can, do that for any of the suggested stones... A beautifully cut stone will hide inclusions really nicely anyway.

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
really so not sure why you lost your hold or whether such things can be renewed etc
So once I put it on hold they keep it only for 48 hours and after that I can’t renew it, so only buy it or let it go, but then my options were si1 so I couldn’t be 100% sure if they eye clean.. I will try again! Thank you for all options you gave me! I added them to my comparison diamonds I’ll look closer tomorrow at everything I have and I need to make my decision this week! If anyone finds anything else on Bn please let me know! And I’m still thinking if I should go with Astor ideal?! Or it doesn’t worth $$$$$?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
So once I put it on hold they keep it only for 48 hours and after that I can’t renew it, so only buy it or let it go, but then my options were si1 so I couldn’t be 100% sure if they eye clean.. I will try again! Thank you for all options you gave me! I added them to my comparison diamonds I’ll look closer tomorrow at everything I have and I need to make my decision this week! If anyone finds anything else on Bn please let me know! And I’m still thinking if I should go with Astor ideal?! Or it doesn’t worth $$$$$?

I'm not personally convinced about Astor ideal. I think they might be chosen for brilliance? Could be wrong.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those numbers are within range I think, I would want @ac117 to make a comment about those inclusions - what is an indented natural and is it something to be avoided? Otherwise that stone looks potentially nice?

I'm not loving the angles with the table size. It's already pushing the fringe. And remember, the values shown on the report are AVERAGES so the box I drew is an approximate area the real cut could be. Given price, etc. I'm more inclined to think this will be an "excellent" cut, which most don't consider excellent at all.

Capture.PNG

More data on naturals and indented naturals.

Capture2.PNG

This might be eye clean? @ac117 what do you think? :) Pushing the budget a little.

Not loving these angles either for the same reason. See chart below -- this stone is highlighted in the black marks.

InkedCapture_LI.jpg

Should be eye clean being a VS2 although it's a little concerning that clouds are the set grading inclusions, and that additional clouds (not shown, or plotted) is identified in the notes. Also always like to see inclusions to the sides instead of on the table.

I apologise if I shouldn't post this as it's above your budget, but here is a mind clean stone for you that has good numbers and an HCA of 1.6. Could you stretch? If so put it on hold and request an ASET and idealscope if available. If you can, do that for any of the suggested stones... A beautifully cut stone will hide inclusions really nicely anyway.

VS1 should not have any eye clean issues whatsoever. This cert looks great. Also, I like where the angles land (shown in yellow). Even if averaged, there is 8/9 of a chance it lands in the ideal range.

InkedInkedCapture_LI.jpg

As I recall, the Astor Ideal came with a Gemex report which most people don't value. However, they might have better angles, etc. that is worth considering.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @sledge, that's really great of you to do that analysis. This is why I need my looking to be double checked! :mrgreen2: Actually lesson learnt for me, I was checking the angles by memory and forgot that 41.0 isn't acceptable, but 40.9 is. o_O My bad.

Shouldn't have suggested https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab.

Yeah the only stone I really liked was the one that is way over @Elmira19's budget. Thanks for the information about the naturals that was very helpful too.

I was given the following advice about keeping things between:

Table: 54-58
Depth: 60-62.3
Crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pavillion angle).
Pavillion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34).

I've seen tighter definitions too:

Depth 60.5-62.1
Table 55-57
Pavilion 40.6 -40.8
Crown 34 -34.5

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I need to add to my previous post that, as I have been beautifully taught recently, regardless of any of these numbers, they are all averages. Really you need ASET information and your own eyes to be able to judge. If the averages are hiding bad numbers then yeah, a stone you expect to be awesome won't be. Equally that probably explains why some stones look better than their numbers would suggest.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to add to my previous post that, as I have been beautifully taught recently, regardless of any of these numbers, they are all averages. Really you need ASET information and your own eyes to be able to judge. If the averages are hiding bad numbers then yeah, a stone you expect to be awesome won't be. Equally that probably explains why some stones look better than their numbers would suggest.

This is correct and why I dislike GIA certs compared to AGS. Not to say they are entirely bad but without advanced imagery you are not able to confirm true cut and precision symmetry.

AGS uses advanced 3D modeling (as compared to GIA 2D modeling) and as such is more accurate and able to assign a cut grade and computer generated ASET based on the modeling. The computer generated ASET is shown on the cert and coincidentally almost always confirmed by an actual ASET by the selling retailer.

Of course most AGS stones are labeled and marketed differently as well as they have proof of their cut.

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
Really you need ASET information and your own eyes to be able to judge.
Yeah I don’t think I can do thato_O and I read an article yesterday saying that Astor ideal diamonds from BN can be terrible too... that scares me.... so there is no guarantee that diamond will be great until I look at it in person... but for me all new diamonds look sparkly...

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I don’t think I can do thato_O and I read an article yesterday saying that Astor ideal diamonds from BN can be terrible too... that scares me.... so there is no guarantee that diamond will be great until I look at it in person... but for me all new diamonds look sparkly...

Assuming you listen to the advise given, we won't let you buy a horrible diamond, regardless if it's a BN Astor Ideal or not.

That said, here are a few others I saw that may be candidates. Hopefully the others will chime in with additional thoughts & comments:

1.66ct H VS2, 2.7 HCA (definitely want images to confirm as prefer <2 HCA) - $12,951
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10681681

InkedCapture_LI.jpg

1.53ct H VS1, 1.5 HCA - $12,737
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10714559

Blue lines & box

InkedInkedCapture_LI.jpg

1.51ct H VS2, 1.4 HCA - $12,322

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10743039

InkedCapture2_LI.jpg

1.40ct H VS2 Astor Ideal, 1.1 HCA - $12,974
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09914781

InkedCapture3_LI.jpg

1.37ct H VS2 Astor Ideal, 1.0 HCA - $12,241
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD09826122

Green lines & box
InkedInkedInkedCapture_LI.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, if you get the IS and ASET images, then post them and we can review with you and explain them to you.

The only issue I see is that BN doesn't seem able to always provide images so you may have to buy without images and then use your OWN scopes and take pictures and post here for us to help you review. Then be willing to return/trade out diamonds if you happen to get unfavorable ASET or IS images.

FYI, you can pick up an ASET and IS scope for about $100 and that would include a loupe, tweezers, etc to help you examine.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
The 1.66 has a black crystal in the table, I would be worried that would be visible. Although it's VS2 so it has the potential to not be visible but it's a cheap diamond for the size and the angles aren't perfect so that makes me suspicious. If you can get an ASET that would be lovely and some sort of definition of how eye clean it is, that would be useful.

As you're working with Bluenile you may need to bite the bullet and buy based on the numbers, then see what you think in person and send it back.

Out of @sledge's suggestions I would choose this one:

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10743039

It's over 1.5 carats, it's in budget, and the angles look great. It should be a very nice stone. As it's likely to be so nicely cut it should face up beautifully white and the inclusion plot is reassuring too.

I would put that one on hold and if they don't have an ASET I would have it delivered to me unset to see in person. I would take the risk on it. The only thing that is odd is that they don't have a video of it but I suspect that's just the nature of some stones on Bluenile. Hopefully that puts people off although you do have to wonder why the video isn't there.

As it's within the budget, if that's something you wish to do you can use some of your budget to buy the scopes. It depends on how important that is to you.

Let us know if you choose any of them!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, the 1.66 was a gamble. For size, price, etc I thought it was worth asking images st least. Maybe you get lucky.

If you have a stone sent to you without images ahead of time, you need to buy the scopes so you inspect and have some EMPIRICAL evidence to support your reasoning for accepting or rejecting the stone. You've already bought one stone you didn't love. The scopes ensure you don't make the same mistake twice as the ASET and IS images define performance and light leakage, respectively.

Those images will give you peace of mind, which I think you need to make this a happy purchase. Just my 2 cents.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
@sledge I agree with you totally, I think for such an expensive purchase it's an important thing. I think by the time you get onto Pricescope you're a certain type of person anyway. I guess my only concern is that what if she gets a stone that she is absolutely delighted with in person... how good or bad will the ASET need to be to make a decision one way or another that is she is happy with rather than any of us. I think she needs to think about that. I know I would want my ASET to be beautiful but some people might accept one that shows signs of digging in one area if it's otherwise really nice... What's the threshold here?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You raise a good point @Lykame.

Just having read this thread from the beginning I sense she needs that reassurance that she chose well. So even if her eyes say yes, she needs the images to confirm it so she finds peace with the purchase.

That said, I personally don't expect a perfect ASET, IS or H&A symmetry with any of these stones. Not because we aren't trying to pick well for her, but because they simply are not super ideals. Still I think she's been tossed some excellent choices within her price range & constraints.

I think she knows this, and has adjusted her expectations as such. Using the infamous 1-10 scale with 10 being the best, I would summarize as follows:
  • She feels her current diamond is a 5 or less.
  • For simplicity sake, super ideals are 10's.
  • I'm hoping the diamond we help her select is an 8.5 to 9. I'd even be more thrilled if the images confirm it's a 9+.
  • She's spending dollars that are more inline with an 8.5 or less stone.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was just reviewed in another thread, but really PSers are a very small subset of the population focused on the most precision cut possible...which isn't fully appreciated by every set of eyes. @Elmira19 - you really need to focus and prioritize what means most to you and decide where you will compromise on to get it. We all have to make compromises! If you're concerned about fluorescence and SI1 clarity then you could stick to none and VS2 but that may either blow your budget or you will need to drop below 1.5.

I don't personally think it's fair or accurate to say you'll get an 8.5 stone at BN, in fact, I think it's very misleading because we're guiding you and cherry picking stones that will outperform most out there and unless you find yourself in a room with all super ideals, you more than likely won't be able to tell the difference (and some people can't even tell the difference when they have both in hand).

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't personally think it's fair or accurate to say you'll get an 8.5 stone at BN, in fact, I think it's very misleading because we're guiding you and cherry picking stones that will outperform most out there and unless you find yourself in a room with all super ideals, you more than likely won't be able to tell the difference (and some people can't even tell the difference when they have both in hand).

I paused earlier for concern my statements may be taken wrong.

My point wasn't to knock the stone, where it's coming from, etc. Just saying in the big picture I think she realizes she is foregoing super ideal status because she doesn't want to spend super ideal dollars. That's just being real.

I'm sorry I assigned any numerical value to it. I do agree with @ac117 the final stone selected will outperform the majority of other stones out there.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I paused earlier for concern my statements may be taken wrong.

My point wasn't to knock the stone, where it's coming from, etc. Just saying in the big picture I think she realizes she is foregoing super ideal status because she doesn't want to spend super ideal dollars. That's just being real.

I'm sorry I assigned any numerical value to it. I do agree with @ac117 the final stone selected will outperform the majority of other stones out there.

I'm not trying to pick on you so I hope you don't feel that way, and I didn't directly quote you for a reason. But I'm still glad you saw my post bc sometimes statements are said that may cause confusion or make someone's purchase feel less than what it is (remember someone saying H was yellow in another thread :lol:). So much of this is preference, as is life and our choices within it.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m here, I just was on vacation;)2

You're lucky...it's actually still available. I suggest you really consider this one as it's beautiful, ticks every box you've requested AND Enchanted Diamonds has it for a much lower price within your budget that BN will match:
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08379441
Here's the ED link that BN will ask for: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamo...5-Carat-E-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-84543540Z

Fingers crossed for you.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're lucky...it's actually still available. I suggest you really consider this one as it's beautiful, ticks every box you've requested AND Enchanted Diamonds has it for a much lower price within your budget that BN will match:
Here's the ED link that BN will ask for: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamo...5-Carat-E-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-84543540Z

Fingers crossed for you.

Oh Wow! What an amazing find @ac117 !! This diamond is a steal!

OP reserve the diamond ASAP and then negotiate the pricing with BN!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fingers crossed for you.

Ohhhh, hot damn! Nice find @ac117. Angles look very promising, and color and clarity to boot. Definitely get this stone secured, and request IS and ASET images for performance confirmation.

By the way, just saw your other post. Nope, didn't take it offensively @ac117. My skin is thicker than that. :cool2:

2274826988.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results