shape
carat
color
clarity

decisions decisions....Please Help!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I've seen the pictures now!

Wow, ignoring the issues for a moment, it looks AMAZING! How are you feeling about the central diamond? Are you happy with the prong work on the central diamond? It looks pretty good from what I can see so that at least must be a relief.

Also yeah... Remind me... Was this your setting originally? Why did they need to touch those stones? Have you louped them to see what's going on in more detail?

Hopefully when you share these pictures they'll make this right for you!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Can you do a side profile shot? Like off your hand but from the side?

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
C187AE04-CBE0-423E-82AA-307FC2DCFAB4.jpeg
Also yeah... Remind me... Was this your setting originally? Why did they need to touch those stones? Have you louped them to see what's going on in more detail?
yeah I had this setting for over 5 years.. I’m only guessing that they had to rebuild it because of bigger central stone?! So now couple diamonds appear darker because they set lower than others...

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock

I'm wondering whether in resetting it there's something blackened about the metal rather than the diamond... I mean there doesn't appear to be any quality control in the setting process because it's not like that isn't immediately obvious, but I wonder if it's not something a good clean might resolve?

Also just seen your new picture too... I meant the other profile view? Like from front on? Is it obvious that there are height differences now in the stones or just the discoloration?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Ignoring the issues with the setting for one second, how are you feeling about the new diamond? It does look amazing in the pictures! And the setting you have is beautiful!

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
Ignoring the issues with the setting for one second, how are you feeling about the new diamond? It does look amazing in the pictures! And the setting you have is beautiful!
I think I like it! But I need more time to fall in love with it! I’m waiting for a sunny day so I can look at it outside! And I feel that diamond is a little small even I have 5,5 ring size :lol:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new diamond looks gorgeous! How do you feel about it?

I'm very sorry BN screwed up the setting but glad you are getting it fixed. I'd escalate to a manager and tell them you are extremely disappointed (send them pictures) and ask them to expedite the repair.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Elmira19, I've been following your thread since the beginning... I really love the new diamond! It's so much better than the original -- looks great. Now just have them fix your setting, and you'll be good to go!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I think I like it! But I need more time to fall in love with it! I’m waiting for a sunny day so I can look at it outside! And I feel that diamond is a little small even I have 5,5 ring size :lol:

Oh no! Well I looked again at some of your earlier posts and it looks at least twice as large as your previous one. It really suits you!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WOW!!! Great job ! :appl::appl::appl::appl:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww...sorry they botched your setting @Elmira19. Definitely get in touch with them and have them fix everything. If they give you problems, let us know.

On a positive note, the rock looks gorgeous! Well done on that part. :cool2:

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
okay guys, silly question, but do all arrows/hearts look dark as they are in my new diamond? And I noticed that it has more white sparkle rather than rainbow colors.. on what sparkle of the diamond depends? Maybe I expect too much from a diamond but sometimes I look at rings in Instagram and they have like rainbow inside of stone, all kind of colors there.. I wonder if it's real or photoshop:roll

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
14577F8B-01AF-492E-A59B-AB81C4D8AC2C.jpeg Ok so one pic from Instagram ( hopefully I can post pics of diamonds here from social media?!). So her diamond like a rainbow.. and I don’t see any arrows there... 28332C13-9D28-4EAD-971F-502346EA2B1B.jpeg

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
14577F8B-01AF-492E-A59B-AB81C4D8AC2C.jpeg Ok so one pic from Instagram ( hopefully I can post pics of diamonds here from social media?!). So her diamond like a rainbow.. and I don’t see any arrows there... 28332C13-9D28-4EAD-971F-502346EA2B1B.jpeg

Have you looked at your diamond under various lights? Mine typically shows more white light/contrast under indoor office type lights, more rainbow light outdoors in natural sunlight (which varies greatly depending on direct sunlight, diffused, etc.) and more fire under low/candle light and jewelry store lights. And I’ve found actually capturing the performance in pictures is particularly challenging. It looks like your photo was taken indoors and my guess is the Instagram example you posted was take outdoors.

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
That’s the o B107957E-3B8F-4FA7-B130-E8178C7AD1AB.jpeg nly picture I have from outdoors.. so what I saw on social media is more likely like your ring on your picture... could I ask what color clarity and if any fluorescence in it? Does it look grey sometimes? Or most of the time it’s so bright and colorful?

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That’s the o B107957E-3B8F-4FA7-B130-E8178C7AD1AB.jpeg nly picture I have from outdoors.. so what I saw on social media is more likely like your ring on your picture... could I ask what color clarity and if any fluorescence in it? Does it look grey sometimes? Or most of the time it’s so bright and colorful?

The pic in my avatar was taken outside on a sunny day at the beach, but under the shade of a tent. And it took like 15 attempts to capture it. It is is a GIA G, VVS2 with faint fluorescence, though those factors are less important than the actual cut of the diamond when it come to light return and performance. I looked at the stats of your diamond and the cut looks be excellent/ideal based on my limited knowledge...and better than mine based on the numbers since mine has a crown angle of 36 deg., which is slightly steeper than advised. If you’ve thoroughly viewed your diamond in various lights and aren’t seeing what you expected (I assume a variety of white/contrast, rainbows, fire, etc.), perhaps you can take it in to a jeweler to compare with other diamonds (ask to see them under different lighting too, not just the jewelry store lights).

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
What about arrows? Are they always so obvious and dark? I think that’s what bugging me as well, too bad I shipped ring back to them yesterday to fix my setting and side stones.. would be smarter to keep this ring for couple more days and decide on my central stone..

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
What about arrows? Are they always so obvious and dark? I think that’s what bugging me as well, too bad I shipped ring back to them yesterday to fix my setting and side stones.. would be smarter to keep this ring for couple more days and decide on my central stone..

In a stone that is so perfectly cut you will see the arrows a lot. In a stone that isn't perfectly cut you'll not really see them, (because they aren't there at all) but the arrows are one factor that help towards dictating light performance (not the only factor) as they suggest excellent symmetry within the stone. The arrows will look really dark if you hold the diamond right in front of you, close to your face, as they are actually formed from 'obstruction' - i.e. the arrows are actually the shadow from your head reflecting in a beautifully cut stone. Some stones will only demonstrate this from close up, some might generate it from further away. Ideal cut stones will always show arrows. Badly cut stones might show a mishmash of black in the centre. Stones that are bad proportions may show fisheye, which is not what you want. Your stone will not have a fisheye. Bear that in mind that perhaps you have been admiring your ring from very close up (as we are wont to do) especially with the issues with the settings and that will really being the arrows into play. And then perhaps when they come into sight you bring the ring closer in concern....

This stone I'm sure is very different from your previous stone. Give yourself some time with it once it's back. View it in many different light sources. Remember that ultimately diamonds are only a mirror (a complicated one!). They can only play off the light that surrounds them, and different light sources behave in very different ways as @Kaycee2018 has so beautifully described and explained for you.

Hopefully you'll grow to absolutely adore it, as it looks like a beautiful stone. Sometimes I think spending a lot of time on here can excessively inflate our idea of perfection of a stone... But pictures on here, or on Instagram are literally a snapshot of a moment. My mum has naff diamonds on her favourite ring, they're white and eye clean but they do very little. But I bet you I could take an awesome picture of them with enough attempts. :)

srke

Shiny_Rock
I second the other comments that got should try taking it around and seeing where it looks best. In some lighting my ring just looks white while others it sparkles its little heart out. And if you're relyibg on the photos you took to remember the feel of your ring, i find fire is really hard to capture well.

I find my ring looks pretty dull in the places I spend most of my day :(sad- at the office, in my bedroom, it just looks meh.
I think it seens to throw the most obvious coloured flashes in dimly lit restaurants with lots of table lighting or candles around. And it looks amazing in most shopping centres which usually have a lot of spot lighting.

... And there's also one spot on the kitchen at work, a particular spot on the platform at my train station, a couple of specific grocery stores, and in the bathroom -_- where it just is gorgeous. (yes i keep a mental catalogue of "places where my ring looks really nice" where I tend to suddenly stop to admire my diamond and get in people's way :whistle:)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The perfect “black” arrows is literally what indicates ideal cut, symmetry and contrast. I understand that this may be new to you, but it is exactly what you want to see in a round diamond. Arrows = contrast, it’s nothing to worry about. The ring form IG is most likely not well cut. Poorly cut diamonds do not exhibit arrows.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adding to what others have said - the arrows appear black in the pics because of contrast and the obstruction of the camera you are putting right in front of it. You are seeing them when you hold the diamond close from your head's obstruction. If you change your camera case to pink, you will see pink arrows. In the ASET of well cut diamonds, you expect the arrows to be blue which is absolutely normal and exhibit what you are seeing. Take a look at WF's IG today - they just posted a beautiful ring which was taken in their lightbox. The stone is has edge to edge brightness and the arrows are reflecting the black camera taking the picture. If you weren't used to a well cut diamond before, you might not have seen this.

Info on ASETs and interpreting the colors/light performance:
https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/about-aset.htm
https://www.victorcanera.com/education/diamonds/light-performance

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
Yes probably I’m not used to perfect cut diamonds and I was just afraid of black arrows because I thought diamond appears darker because of them :oops: I just saw on some pictures that arrows can be black or white.. maybe as you all said it’s only reflection. What about size? I felt that it’s a good size only for first 30 min and then it looked small to me :D is it worth going up to 1,7 but lower clarity and color? Or it’s not worth it if I want to upgrade it anyway in 3-5 years for 2+ carat?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I would've gone for the gorgeous 1.7 G SI1 that I suggested on page 2: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

And wouldn't you know it....they relisted it under another sku and it's now available for a couple hundred less than before if you wanted to go this route!
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

Another beautiful option: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true
Also pretty:
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
:whistle:
Well I would've gone for the gorgeous 1.7 G SI1 that I suggested on page 2: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

And wouldn't you know it....they relisted it under another sku and it's now available for a couple hundred less than before if you wanted to go this route!

Another beautiful option: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true
Also pretty:
I’m so complicated! I don’t know what to do, keep 1,5 and be happy or go for 1,7-1,8! BUT this is my last chance, if I change the diamond now I can’t exchange it once again. It will be final sale. Oh yes and I can’t go lower than 14k now

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
@Elmira19, there's only one thing I can promise you, and that's when you get a new diamond it will only look large for about thirty minutes! Then you will develop something called diamond shrinkage syndrome... It's a terrible affliction, it's well known around here. :lol:

Basically no matter how large you go you'll have this problem. :)

If you're going to upgrade larger, you'll definitely have wonderful advice from the people here. Would you be able to wait until you get your current upgrade back and live with it for a few days? Then you could see what you like about it compared to your previous diamond and you might be able to judge what you would be willing to compromise on to go larger.

Personally I would go for that 1.71 G SI1... Why the inclusion plot makes it an SI1 I don't know, it looks much cleaner than that. Awesome diamond.

But the diamond you currently have is also pretty smashing. And you're right, if you're going to do it you should do it now ... Just be ABSOLUTELY SURE. Be absolutely honest with yourself about what you want. Certainly all the stones that will be recommended will have the arrows, that's for sure. And a G will be slightly warmer even if you cannot see a tint.

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
Then you will develop something called diamond shrinkage syndrome... It's a terrible affliction, it's well known around here
oh yes!! I know it:lol: I think it’s better wait when I get my ring back next week from the repair and I will wear it for a week or so. And probably you right, 1,7 will look tiny to me at some point as well:lol: 1,71 G Si1 is less than my current diamond and I cant downgrade and strong fluoroscence scares me

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results