shape
carat
color
clarity

decisions decisions....Please Help!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also agree w/ @stonewell about buying your own scopes. I'd do an ASET, IS and H&A scope since you are choosing to work with a vendor that cannot or refuses to provide additional images. As you know, cut performance either makes or breaks a diamond and while we can analyze data all day and get close, the only way to know for sure is seeing it with your eyes and under advanced imagery these scopes will provide.

That said, what about this one?

HCA = 1.0, 1.5ct, H, VS2, $11,243 - See AGS proportions chart (great potential). Also, all values meet H&A criteria, and all but lower girdle halves are optimum H&A values. This doesn't guarantee a H&A stone, but it looks promising to be a solid performer.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10199121

Capture.PNG

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I want to post a really great option but don't want it to get scooped up so I hope you're quick to at least put a hold on it if you like it...I hope you see this soon because it is a fantastic price for a 1.7 carat, tiny table and fat arrows :love: and a G color that definitely looks eye clean. I have a 3.24ct with strong blue fluorescence and it's gorgeous. I would ask BN to confirm no milkiness/haziness (which is rare) but AFTER you place the stone on hold so you don't miss out!!! https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
Ahh... that’s a shame. What about @ac117’s other recommendation? Was that taken as well?
I put on hold 2 diamonds this morning! https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

And I noticed that BN dropped the price for 1.52 diamond this morning, today it's 150+ dollars cheaper:whistle: Why could that happen?
And what about second one? It's little bit smaller for less price but better clarity...
My only concern now .. what if I will be able to see a tint of yellow of grey in H color stone:shock:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
@Elmira19, that first stone looks good, although I think it scores like 0.6 on the HCA, and sometimes those diamonds are better seen from a little further away as they can have some head obstruction. If they're good, then they should be nice and firey. Having said that, I can struggle to interpret this a little as I'm not an expert, just self-educated, and so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

The second stone, I cannot see a GIA certificate. What are the angles?

Try not to worry about the grey - I think the grey was to do with the fact your stone was poorly performing, had that low crown angle, and therefore had light leakage. If you get a well cut stone, as you're clearly trying to achieve, that shouldn't be an issue.

As for the H - have you seen H coloured stones in person (graded by GIA)? It would depend on how colour sensitive you are. The majority of people on Pricescope, from my reading, tend to see the tint in I or J. It can be a bit variable however. I can see the tint in a G, which is frustrating for me, but I think I'm an anomaly :lol:.

But regardless of the actual graded colour of the stone, everyone will agree that a well cut stone will look much whiter face up than a poorly cut stone. How much side view does your current setting give you? Like for me G or H both face up beautifully white, despite me being able to see the tint from the side.

Honestly I think H will be beautiful!!! :D

Let me see if I can find some other potential stones for you.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put on hold 2 diamonds this morning! https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

And I noticed that BN dropped the price for 1.52 diamond this morning, today it's 150+ dollars cheaper:whistle: Why could that happen?
And what about second one? It's little bit smaller for less price but better clarity...
My only concern now .. what if I will be able to see a tint of yellow of grey in H color stone:shock:

Did you see the new option I posted for you? It's already gone....did you put it on hold? https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
Also agree w/ @stonewell about buying your own scopes. I'd do an ASET, IS and H&A scope since you are choosing to work with a vendor that cannot or refuses to provide additional images. As you know, cut performance either makes or breaks a diamond and while we can analyze data all day and get close, the only way to know for sure is seeing it with your eyes and under advanced imagery these scopes will provide.
How does that work? Is it something I do online as well or I can check a diamond only when it arrives with some tools?:oops: I'm so far from it and I don't know what you really talking about...

And what do you think about feathers in the diamond? Should I be worried about this kind of inclusions?

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
Did you see the new option I posted for you? It's already gone....did you put it on hold? https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

I was quick at this time)) Yes I did. It's so cheap for this size of a diamond, so I just hold it until we figure out why it's such a good price and what also makes me wonder why "it's a good buy" does it mean something wrong with it? And I requested to look at inclusions, if it's eye clean and if fluorescence affect diamond performance.. They told me they can look at it only with inside light but they can't promise how good it will look outside?! Because I have a diamond with strong blue fluorescence as well and it's beautiful. Very clear in the sunlight and it has blue sparkle...But then I saw some pics and videos when diamonds with strong blue turn milky blue outside and they don't look as clean and clear as my diamond? So if they look at this diamond only with their light.. does it mean if it's clean and clear with inside light it will also be clean and clear when I'm out? Or it's a risky move again....

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My girl's stone is a 0.867ct H VS2 w/ medium blue fluor. Super ideal AGS certified from BGD. Posting pics and details to give you an idea how a well cut stone should look. FYI, these were taken by DK after he completed the setting.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...0.867-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104098623002

DKJPV_0629_WR-1.jpg DKJPV_0629_WR-2.jpg DKJPV_0629_WR-3.jpg DKJPV_0629_WR-4.jpg DKJPV_0629_WR-5.jpg DKJPV_0629_WR-6.jpg DKJPV_0629_WR-7.jpg DKJPV_0629_WR-8.jpg

Edited to Add:
If you look close you can see the above pictures is picking up colors of the surrounding background. In real life, the stone is bright & white. Maybe these pictures illustrate that better?

2018-07-02 21.01.00.jpg
2018-07-02 21.02.04.jpg

Last edited:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was quick at this time)) Yes I did. It's so cheap for this size of a diamond, so I just hold it until we figure out why it's such a good price and what also makes me wonder why "it's a good buy" does it mean something wrong with it? And I requested to look at inclusions, if it's eye clean and if fluorescence affect diamond performance.. They told me they can look at it only with inside light but they can't promise how good it will look outside?! Because I have a diamond with strong blue fluorescence as well and it's beautiful. Very clear in the sunlight and it has blue sparkle...But then I saw some pics and videos when diamonds with strong blue turn milky blue outside and they don't look as clean and clear as my diamond? So if they look at this diamond only with their light.. does it mean if it's clean and clear with inside light it will also be clean and clear when I'm out? Or it's a risky move again....

Good! Prices really range and are affected by different factors including how much the rough was...fluorescent stones are usually discounted, which works in your favor. It's very unlikely that the stone will have any issues but like you've already mentioned, you could return it. You could also take it to an independent appraiser (not just a jeweler who is biased) to get it evaluated after you've received it.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I like https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

I prefer medium fluorescence over strong, because I think that strong fluorescence is slightly more at risk of causing an issue (although in general I have no issue with fluorescence). I also think that medium has the nice potential of making your H face up whiter. It would annoy me that they cannot expose the stone to normal sunlight (especially that strong one!), although of course you could send the stone back if there's an affect.

This stone's HCA is 0.8. Again it's got a small table and so it's likely to be firey, and I would prefer it over one with an HCA of 0.6.

It is a VVS2 - it will be eye clean. The only thing about VVS2 is I think a VS1 would be visually the same and usually a VS2 as well, which makes me wonder if you can get a bit more for your money... but overall I really like that stone. :D

ETA: I've just seen @ac117's suggestion - oh my god, risk that stone! It's worth the risk of the strong blue fluorescence to get the 1.7 carat. @ac117 - you're amazing. That person who snapped up the other stone you found has done @Elmira19 a favour.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s likely all the factors that ac117 mentioned which are affecting the price. I would personally take a risk on the 1.71ct over the one you were originally planning to have them set. In a heartbeat... but I like fluorescence. I think this is a stone you have to judge in-person to tell if the strong fluorescence is to your liking.

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
It's very unlikely that the stone will have any issues but like you've already mentioned, you could return it.
I could return it, but I'm doing upgrade and that means if I exchange it for new stone then it has to be same $$ or more... And then I probably go even higher than 12,5K.... That what scares me, especially that 1,72 carat stone can be risky because of sbf, and what about feather inclusions? How they located in the diamond? right on the sides? do you think it's risky too?

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
It’s likely all the factors that ac117 mentioned which are affecting the price. I would personally take a risk on the 1.71ct over the one you were originally planning to have them set. In a heartbeat... but I like fluorescence. I think this is a stone you have to judge in-person to tell if the strong fluorescence is to your liking.
I have a diamond with strong blue fluorescence but it doesn't really show blue color...only when I do my nails.. And it sparkls blue in the sun... Does your stone look more milky in the sun? That's what I'm afraid of...

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
My stone with strong blue fluorescence 0603C19B-BB23-4724-9AAD-8884C54F2A4E.jpeg 34D3BFEE-1A04-43CD-BA8D-13E89F90A1CD.jpeg

In my perfect world I would love to have a G+ color, VS2+, and medium florescence... And over 7,2mm... and sparkly one))))

I went today to jewelry store, they had certified diamonds there but not GIA, and I really notice the difference between H and F color... They also had collection with GemEx certificates and stones didn't really impress me... So maybe I expect too much?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
My stone with strong blue fluorescence 0603C19B-BB23-4724-9AAD-8884C54F2A4E.jpeg 34D3BFEE-1A04-43CD-BA8D-13E89F90A1CD.jpeg

In my perfect world I would love to have a G+ color, VS2+, and medium florescence... And over 7,2mm... and sparkly one))))

I went today to jewelry store, they had certified diamonds there but not GIA, and I really notice the difference between H and F color... They also had collection with GemEx certificates and stones didn't really impress me... So maybe I expect too much?

What certificate were the diamonds? A lot of other labs will undergrade a diamond. So the H might be an I or even a J if it were graded by GIA - and you would see that colour. It means they can charge more for a stone that's worth less.

I don't buy into GEMEX really. You're not choosing a GEMEX stone anyway.

And don't forget the fluorescence, it will improve the colour.

Finally, can you recheck what will happen if you don't like this stone? I know is you're upgrading but you're upgrading from what, 10k? So if this stone isn't good you return it and that's still your starting point? This stone that is more expensive does not become your starting point, surely.

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
Finally, can you recheck what will happen if you don't like this stone? I know is you're upgrading but you're upgrading from what, 10k? So if this stone isn't good you return it and that's still your starting point?
If I set a 12,5K diamond in my ring that means that I can exchange this diamond only for the same price stone or above,,,I can't lower price from that point then.. And how hard it will be to find a new stone that exactly 12,5K so most likely I will go way over my budget... But my upgrade minimum amount could be around 6K but I just want a bigger stone:lol:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
If I set a 12,5K diamond in my ring that means that I can exchange this diamond only for the same price stone or above,,,I can't lower price from that point then.. And how hard it will be to find a new stone that exactly 12,5K so most likely I will go way over my budget... But my upgrade minimum amount could be around 6K but I just want a bigger stone:lol:

Are you sure? Surely this stone has an exchange period? And if that's truly the case, two things - one, would it be worthwhile them sending the stone to you to look at before they set it? Two, even if that's the case, what have they told you about this stone? You could tell them that if they set it, and you receive it, and the fluorescence is an issue, you expect them to accept a change using your original stone as the financial starting point. Especially as they cannot take the stone into sun! Basically if they tell you stuff and you make decisions based on that, the stone needs to be as they advertise.

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
Are you sure? Surely this stone has an exchange period? And if that's truly the case, two things - one, would it be worthwhile them sending the stone to you to look at before they set it? Two, even if that's the case, what have they told you about this stone? You could tell them that if they set it, and you receive it, and the fluorescence is an issue, you expect them to accept a change using your original stone as the financial starting point. Especially as they cannot take the stone into sun! Basically if they tell you stuff and you make decisions based on that, the stone needs to be as they advertise.
100% Sure , I asked them about it, I have 30 days to exchange it to any stone which is same price or higher, that's my only issue with 12,5K stone that has strong fluorescence. And I doubt they will make an exception because of fluorescence, she just told me today that they can't guarantee how stone with strong f. will perform outside when it's a sunny day. And she doesn't recommend to go with strong fluorescence,, so that means I take this risk only on myself.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
100% Sure , I asked them about it, I have 30 days to exchange it to any stone which is same price or higher, that's my only issue with 12,5K stone that has strong fluorescence. And I doubt they will make an exception because of fluorescence, she just told me today that they can't guarantee how stone with strong f. will perform outside when it's a sunny day. And she doesn't recommend to go with strong fluorescence,, so that means I take this risk only on myself.

Why can they not see the stone in sunlight?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
If this is a big risk for you, then get the stone delivered before it's set. Have a look it under all lighting conditions and then send it back to be set if you're happy.

If you decide to take the risk and the stone is bad, come back here (you have to anyway to share) and I'm sure we can find you a stone one dollar more or there abouts.

Last edited:

Elmira19

Rough_Rock
:roll2::roll2:https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10674723?refTab=DIAMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true which one is better? I’m thinking that for me is more important to go with better quality rather than bigger size.... but H or G color... and better or worse clarity:roll2: I would prefer to have G and Vs2.. but I don’t think I can afford this combination in my price range and carat weight I want..

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be honest. With all the garbage policies BN has tried to force on you with the strong arming to buy a bad stone I'd tell these *beep* to go pound sand.

It's stupid they cant walk outside in the sun to evaluate the stone. Why? It's a crap performer and they know? People have hit contracts on them? They are all albino and might burn? They just stuck and are uncooperative? :roll2:

Then the BS that you cant return the stone within the first 30 days to swap for a stone of YOUR choosing. Who cares if you spend a few hundred or a thousand less, their profit margin % is already set and the odds you choose a drastically differently priced at one is very slim. So they are being cry babies over MAYBE a few hundred less dollars of profit.

You said you paid $2,500 for the initial stone. I'd sell that baby on the open market and use whatever you gain plus the $10,000 or so of cash you are putting with it and upgrade through a different and better vendor.

Lifes too short for games. If you choose to stick it out with BN I'd probably stay away from the stone with strong fluor because you seem to have an issue with it and because BN unwillingness to cooperate may be the warning sign it's a bad stone. I hate this because fluor can be an plus but with all factors considered I'd pass.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And what kind of certifications did the stones have that you looked at that you said wasn't GIA?

AGS and GIA are respected labs. Others are too liberal on their grading and there is no telling what you actually saw if it came from one of those labs.

If you are looking to buy a GIA stone you need to look at G/H/I colored stones certified by GIA so your eyes can see a true representation of what you may actually buy.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We could still find you a stone in the same price range without going way over your budget if you did need to return the 1.7 - but, I'm sure you should be able to escalate the issue to a manager if the stone has any issues because ultimately, you are the customer and have 30 day returns. Their online policy specifically states, "Diamonds purchased as part of our Blue Nile Diamond Upgrade Program may not be returned for credit, but can be exchanged within 30 days." It does not say for equal or greater value. I'm sure you would still need to meet the 2x minimum, but it sounds like these stones are way over your $6k minimum anyway.

Personally, I would go for the 1.7 G SI1. It's larger, better color and eye clean plus it's only $400 more expensive than the 1.52 which would be my second choice. The feathers are not a concern, are off to the side and not dark inclusions.

This is another nice option if you really prefer a higher color/clarity but it also has strong fluorescence. Again, unlikely that it's an issue but just giving you additional options. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be honest. With all the garbage policies BN has tried to force on you with the strong arming to buy a bad stone I'd tell these *beep* to go pound sand.

It's stupid they cant walk outside in the sun to evaluate the stone. Why? It's a crap performer and they know? People have hit contracts on them? They are all albino and might burn? They just stuck and are uncooperative? :roll2:

Then the BS that you cant return the stone within the first 30 days to swap for a stone of YOUR choosing. Who cares if you spend a few hundred or a thousand less, their profit margin % is already set and the odds you choose a drastically differently priced at one is very slim. So they are being cry babies over MAYBE a few hundred less dollars of profit.

You said you paid $2,500 for the initial stone. I'd sell that baby on the open market and use whatever you gain plus the $10,000 or so of cash you are putting with it and upgrade through a different and better vendor.

Lifes too short for games. If you choose to stick it out with BN I'd probably stay away from the stone with strong fluor because you seem to have an issue with it and because BN unwillingness to cooperate may be the warning sign it's a bad stone. I hate this because fluor can be a plus but with all factors considered I'd pass.
I agree that I'd rather work with a vendor that has possession. But BN can't walk outside and look at the stone because they very likely don't have it in their office. They are a drop shipper. They call the stone from a vendor who delivers it to them. The fact that they can't pick a good stone is not uncommon, IMHO. That's why we are here to help the posters.

Others have posted options, but I can look after work if you don't make a decision beforehand. Maybe some PS member can search for stones within the OP's wish-range that are Medium or less flour to show options? Maybe a few SI1 that look good?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lifes too short for games. If you choose to stick it out with BN I'd probably stay away from the stone with strong fluor because you seem to have an issue with it and because BN unwillingness to cooperate may be the warning sign it's a bad stone. I hate this because fluor can be an plus but with all factors considered I'd pass.

I get WHY you're suggesting this, but you already have a bunch of times on this thread and the OP doesn't want to go this route so we're trying to find her the best we can at BN and mitigate the risks. Why keep adding fuel to the fire? We all know BN is a drop shipper. They work with wholesalers who, yes, are not always the most cooperative and they don't provide the images we like to see and obviously not all go the extra mile. But $10k won't get her what she wants now at another vendor - especially not a super ideal vendor - without dropping size and or color and clarity. So work with the OP to find the best SHE wants. I think I've mentioned this to you in another thread, too, but it doesn't seem to sink in....

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
:roll2::roll2:https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10674723?refTab=DIAMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true which one is better? I’m thinking that for me is more important to go with better quality rather than bigger size.... but H or G color... and better or worse clarity:roll2: I would prefer to have G and Vs2.. but I don’t think I can afford this combination in my price range and carat weight I want..

@Elmira19 I think you're in that difficult position of having to balance all these different Cs against your budget and wishes!

I did have a look at Bluenile for medium fluorescence G VS2 stones above 1.5 carats. Couldn't find a good stone in your budget. Later on once I'm out of work I can try and see if there are any SI1s out there that might be eye clean. Whatever compromise you take there will always be a slight risk involved, be it doing down in colour, or risking on clarity... I know you had the issue of seeing a crystal in your original stone.

It's difficult, I feel your pain.

I would really properly just clarify again with Bluenile about their return policy. You are upgrading to a new stone yes but I'm not convinced that if you went with the 1.7 carat and you didn't like it, I don't see why you can't send that back and get a cheaper stone?

If that's not possible and you still want to try the 1.7, I would feel sure that with your budget we could get you a stone that was smaller in carat size but better in the area you wished to be better, be it less fluorescence or whatever, but with very minimal price difference.

If you're not keen on taking that risk then I do understand it. In that case I would go with @ac117, they have better experience than me!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is normally nothing wrong with strong blue fluorescence unless the clarity is poor. If a stone has a lot of clouds and twining wisps (SI1-SI2), for example, I might not take the risk. This one seems to have a few little feathers around the sides, so it'd very doubtful they'd have any negative effects. I'd prefer a stone with fluoresence if I had a choice.

But if you really want VS2, then I'd go back to looking at smaller stones and get a stone that is mind clean for you. I think you've learned the necessity of reserving immediately if a great stone is posted.

The problem you will have if you do this upgrade is that you'll be stuck and unable to upgrade later without paying double. I know others have pointed this out and you seem to want to use BN, but I personally would sell the diamond you have and start over with a vendor who does upgrades with any amount higher.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Elmira19,

I am just chiming in to say that this diamond found by @ac117 looks pretty spectacular:

The diamond looks to be very transparent and I wouldn’t worry about the fluoresce at all at this time. You will be able to inspect the stone and take it to an appraiser if needed.

I have had two fluorescent diamonds in the past, one had strong flouro and the other one had very strong flouro. The strong flouro diamond was a BGD blue diamond, however, the very strong blue flouro diamond had an interesting story. I had the diamond recut by BGD and the results were so great, that I was able to brand it to be a BGD “Blue signature” stone. I am sharing this with you, so that you are aware that most diamonds with flouro, branded or not, will be perfectly fine in real life. The other very small percent of diamonds that might be affected due to flouro are honestly easy to detect, especially in high magnification photos. They look similar to the below and that would have most likely been visible in the BN video:
61DD825F-68F3-4278-9661-6BB0FE0F45F4.png

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results