shape
carat
color
clarity

Deciding whether to go lab grown

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
Then why the two separate forums?

That’s a question for admin I guess? I’m happy to blend the two! But I’m guessing the reason is because people who buy mined diamonds can sometimes become hostile towards people who buy lab diamonds, it’s happened to me before on another thread. People get protective of their purchases and their beliefs and that’s when emotions come into play and conflict starts.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There will always be people who would pay through the nose for D/IF natural earth-mined stones, and nothing else would do.

Each to their own.

DK :))

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a question for admin I guess? I’m happy to blend the two! But I’m guessing the reason is because people who buy mined diamonds can sometimes become hostile towards people who buy lab diamonds, it’s happened to me before on another thread. People get protective of their purchases and their beliefs and that’s when emotions come into play and conflict starts.

Or maybe people don’t agree that they are the same. Does GIA? I recall a recent thread in which some posters admitted that colors variations and other inclusion like variations distinguish mmd from mined. Something like only aim for colorless bc the grading can’t be trusted otherwise. That would be a huge difference. And the inclusions that are only specific fo Mmd but not found in mined—I forget the name

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
Or maybe people don’t agree that they are the same. Does GIA?

It’s science, it’s chemistry. It doesn’t matter if people don’t agree. It’s fact

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s science, it’s chemistry. It doesn’t matter if people don’t agree. It’s fact

I raised scientific questions about inclusions. It’s also a fact that they have different names—MMDs

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
Or maybe people don’t agree that they are the same. Does GIA? I recall a recent thread in which some posters admitted that colors variations and other inclusion like variations distinguish mmd from mined. Something like only aim for colorless bc the grading can’t be trusted otherwise. That would be a huge difference. And the inclusions that are only specific fo Mmd but not found in mined—I forget the name
I think you’re talking about stria/striations? Another difference is MMD’s don’t have fluorescence. I mean as I have said it’s a choice people can make as to what is more important to them. But chemically the way they are made, is the same. That’s the point I’m trying to get across. I have a 1ct mined diamond and a 1.6ct lab diamond. The 1ct mined diamond cost $15000AUD and the 1.6ct lab diamond cost $3300AUD but I love my lab diamond sooo much more, it’s too beautiful. In regards to the colour. My GIA mined is a G and my IGI is a H but the lab H is actually slightly whiter than my GIA mined G. Go figure haha just lucky I guess

Last edited:

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock

No one was hostile toward you for purchasing MMD, but rather annoyed with your unrelenting evangelism when it was not at all relevant to the thread. You can type until you’re blue in the face that MMD and mined diamonds are the same, but that doesn’t make it fact. It’s your opinion that they are the same. Other posters have noted empirical differences; they’ve also noted differences in their view of the two. To my knowledge this is a discussion forum where a sharing of ideas should be valued, much more so than shouting over one another. I’ve said before and I will say again: These threads often devolve into a shouting match of “MMD IS REAL” “IT’S NOT REAL” “MY DIAMOND IS BETTER” “NO, MINE” and it’s so unhelpful and pointless.

And frankly Eevee, the lady doth protest too much methinks. Throughout your journey purchasing a lab diamond and after, you largely avoided this forum and repeatedly posted in RT and SMTB purposefully obscuring the fact that your diamond was MMD and presenting it as mined. People repeatedly had your threads moved to this forum where you often abandoned them. I’m glad you love your diamond and have come to embrace MMD. The question of MMD is definitely not a black and white issue, even for you.

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
No one was hostile toward you for purchasing MMD, but rather annoyed with your unrelenting evangelism when it was not at all relevant to the thread. You can type until you’re blue in the face that MMD and mined diamonds are the same, but that doesn’t make it fact. It’s your opinion that they are the same. Other posters have noted empirical differences; they’ve also noted differences in their view of the two. To my knowledge this is a discussion forum where a sharing of ideas should be valued, much more so than shouting over one another. I’ve said before and I will say again: These threads often devolve into a shouting match of “MMD IS REAL” “IT’S NOT REAL” “MY DIAMOND IS BETTER” “NO, MINE” and it’s so unhelpful and pointless.

And frankly Eevee, the lady doth protest too much methinks. Throughout your journey purchasing a lab diamond and after, you largely avoided this forum and repeatedly posted in RT and SMTB purposefully obscuring the fact that your diamond was MMD and presenting it as mined. People repeatedly had your threads moved to this forum where you often abandoned them. I’m glad you love your diamond and have come to embrace MMD. The question of MMD is definitely not a black and white issue, even for you.

That’s actually not true! I have two diamonds, one mined and one lab so of course I’m going to post on two different forums! Im not going to fight with people over the internet over diamonds. Seems like people can’t talk about mined diamonds and MMD diamonds without getting upset. Probably why there are two forums! All I know is I’m super happy to be rocking my big fat 1.6ct diamond on my finger and investing my money elsewhere and that’s the truth but thank you so much for your opinion

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She posted this thread and expressed that concern. “1. Do you tell people it is lab grown? I worry people would think of it as a CZ and not understand.”

What’s the point of lashing out at me bc my reply to her does not echo this chamber?I realize that I’m an outsider here bc I’m actually willing to address OP’s issues. You know very well that she indicated that her issue regarding CZ would be the result of saying lab diamond. Look at her quote. I think the reason there are 2 separate forums for natural and MMD is because in a diamond forum—for purists—the origin and the implications of the origin actually does matter. But since I’m venturing into this forum recently, I’m still clear about this where many of you like to blend the two. What is the fear and why should it be such a private matter to use the term MMD when identifying one’s lab diamond? Isn’t MMD the proper term?

No one lashed out at you, certainly not me. You are very defensive. I own LOTS of mined diamonds. Love them. Now I have some MMD. Love them. Why do you care so much? Maybe go back to your “real” diamonds forum. Does it bother you that both are really diamonds but yours cost more so you need to be superior?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one lashed out at you, certainly not me. You are very defensive. I own LOTS of mined diamonds. Love them. Now I have some MMD. Love them. Why do you care so much? Maybe go back to your “real” diamonds forum. Does it bother you that both are really diamonds but yours cost more so you need to be superior?
Lashing out again. For no reason. Just keeping the facts straight and replying to OP. Guess I stepped on some toes

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every time you speak you sh** on someone else’s happiness. At this point in my life I keep people like you away. You cant make me mad no matter how hard you try. So go stew in your own pudding.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every time you speak you sh** on someone else’s happiness. At this point in my life I keep people like you away. You cant make me mad no matter how hard you try. So go stew in your own pudding.

Ummmmm. What just happened? So
Much for civility in this forum. but no worries. I plan to stick around.

Last edited:

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
That’s actually not true!

If I’m mistaken I sincerely apologize. We seem to have different understandings of fact and truth. As a courtesy I will tag you in the posts I was referencing so you can clear things up by posting the cert.

Last edited:

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock

Love this post

Last edited:

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
If I’m mistaken I sincerely apologize. We seem to have different understandings of fact and truth. As a courtesy I will tag you in the posts I was referencing so you can clear things up by posting the cert.
Woah ease up there tiger. I didn’t realize my posts had so much impact on your life! I don’t actually ever remember conversing with you? I didn’t realize I was effecting you so much. You’re absolutely right in regards to the posts. I only joined a few months ago and I didn’t realize the guidelines. I thought that I could ask general questions without mentioning diamond specifics. Clearly I’m wrong. Admins can you please move my threads to lab grown diamonds forum? @123duckiings has kindly gone through and found every single one of them and has tagged them all. Cheers :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This really does reflect a lot about you. Lol. This forum is funny.

Just as yours reflects a lot about you :lol::lol::lol:

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
This really does reflect a lot about you. Lol. This forum is funny.

Nala this thread actually says a lot about you. I’m not going to argue with you. It’s written in black and white for everyone to see. I don’t need to say anything else to you except for I wish you happiness.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala this thread actually says a lot about you. I’m not going to argue with you. It’s written in black and white for everyone to see. I don’t need to say anything else to you except for I wish you happiness.

I think you are my new best friend!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yet most on this thread insist they are the same. That’s why I asked the question. Because at the end of the day, the fundamental difference is significant. And that is what OP was worried about. Maybe her concern stems from the fact that she feels that not disclosing that her diamond is lab made—if she goes with it—is misleading. She said, “Do I disclose that it is a lab diamond and I worry they will think it’s a CZ.” If I bought a lab diamond, and my dear loved ones made comments about my ring and assumptions about the cost (see my thread in hangout)—I would be misleading others to think that I spent thousands more than I actually did. Because like it or not, people view Natural diamonds as extremely expensive and lab mined ones not so much.

I am just learning about MMDs. I know very little about lab diamonds. There’s probably much I don’t even realize I don’t know. You know that saying- you don’t know what you don’t know. Something like that.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes in one (at least) very important way they are different. They are made in the lab. They don’t come from the earth ie not earth mined.

How else do they differ I am not yet knowledgeable about. However as you pointed out there’s something I’ve read about called striae that you need to be careful of and also since it’s not GIA or AGS grading them how are they on color/cut/clarity? Soft or equal to the other labs. Idk. All this is important to factor into one’s decision imo.

To answer the OP I would say this. All that matters is you love your purchase. At the end of the day what others think does not matter. At all. With regards to this issue. It’s how you feel about it. If someone asks you can answer or not. Your prerogative completely. I am an open book so I’d be happy to share if only to help others decide for themselves. If beautiful or not to their eyes.If worth the savings or not. Or perhaps it’s a mind clean thing. And that’s ok. What works for each person works for them. It’s an individual decision. And preference. Period.

How lab diamonds fare in the future I have no clue. I wait and watch with interest.

In the meantime every person should enjoy their diamonds. Earth mined or lab made or fill in the blank. Whatever works for *you*.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to add I never buy diamonds with resale in mind. But if one cares about that lab diamonds probably will fare less well for resale.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

science

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

science

Absolutely. Reinforces the idea that MMD’s should be referred to as cultured or MMD’s. No secrecy, no intent to mislead.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blah blah blah...

DiaLuv

Shiny_Rock
I am also learning about MMD. Can a diamond knowledgeable person tell the difference between a mined diamond and a MMD?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only if they have very expensive equipment. A very knowledgeable jeweler may notice growth pattern but only the best jewelers. It would be unethical not to disclose to a jeweler It is MMD because of the price difference in case something happened. Anyone else on here who says they can see the difference in real life is deluded.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also learning about MMD. Can a diamond knowledgeable person tell the difference between a mined diamond and a MMD?

I think the question also to consider is how do you trust the certificate If it is not GIA. So say you purchased one certified as a certain color and clarity but what did you really get? PSers have a strong disdain for any certifications other than GIA. As a mmd newbie, maybe research which cert is the most accurate so that others don’t distinguish between your G VS2 (for example) and theirs. And before i get attacked again by certain people here—I am responding to your question as to whether people can tell bc this would be an indicator.

DiaLuv

Shiny_Rock
I have always believed honesty is the best policy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results