shape
carat
color
clarity

Debating orange spessertite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 10:56:51 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Yeah, it does look like it has a slight brown overtone, which is common with spessartite. It doesn''t look that bad though. I would consider this a fine color.

Part of the problem is the pearshape you have is fantastic. No brown in it at all. If I were grading that as a fancy colored diamond, I would use the terminology ''fancy intense'', while I would call the asscher ''fancy deep''. The brown modifier keeps it from being intense in color, but not from being deep in color.

Does that make sense?
Thank you so much Richard, that helps immensely. I also am happy to know my pear is would be graded a "fancy intense."
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 11:26:08 PM
Author: Chrono
I am definitely seeing some brown in these newest pictures. It also pales (or darkens) in comparison to your pear. Based on the picture of the two together and knowing how fussy about colour you are, I would return it. You might feel a twinge of disappointment every time you see the new spess because it will always be compared to the pear.

The only way I''ll give up my spessartite is if someone is willing to give me an eye clean kryptonite-like original mine Brazilian paraiba of about 2 carats.
11.gif
Oh man!!! Not fair!! If I were you though, I still wouldn''t give it up.
3.gif
Thanks for your honest opinion once again Chrono.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Nice honest opinion, chrono. I am sure TL appreciates your honesty and opinion. The pear is what started it all so it may be hard to compare another stone too

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 11:53:43 PM
Author: amethystguy
Nice honest opinion, chrono. I am sure TL appreciates your honesty and opinion. The pear is what started it all so it may be hard to compare another stone too
Thanks Amguy, I appreciate your honest opinon as well. I think most PS''ers are very honest with me on this board, and I really appreciate it from everyone!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think Chrono has a good point. If you are going to compare it to the pear and always feels like it does not measure up (rather than it being different but just as beautiful), it is probably not worth keeping. There is no point on spending money on stones you are always going to view as inferior to others you have in your collection.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I've decided to keep it because the color is just beautiful. As much as I don't like darker toned stones, this stone is special to me. Here are the reasons why:

1) It faces up very large for 3.5 carats
2) Richard Sheerwood likes it a lot (that's always a plus when a guy who spends his days looking at amazing gems all day long really likes the stone!!)
3) It's as clean as can be.
4) It has a wonderful sparkle factor
5) It's a cut I like
but most of all it looks like molten lava, and the color just jumps out at me. Although I love my pear, I actually do not like pear shapes, and my pear has inclusions as well.

Here's a sunset pic of the stone on my hand next to my pear. It glows in the evening sun. Besides I promised SleepySpinel a pic of it on the hand. I know it's fuzzy, but the fuzzy colors are more true to life.

I cannot thank everyone enough for their valuable and most of all, HONEST opinions. You are the best!!

TLsunsetspesses.JPG

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Well, I like that stone. And if you like it for what it is, than you should be very happy with it. I think it is a great color and lights up. You need to put a pic of your own stone next to the sun!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
YAY so excited for you, TL. This is one that I have a feeling is going to continue to grow on you. Love the new photo with your pear!
30.gif

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
I''m glad you''re keeping it! How pretty!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad you are keeping it. It is lovely!

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks TL, just what I needed to see. If it were me, I''d keep it, it looks good against your skin, lots of contrast and I like the red component it has, not too much but enough to make the orange richer. I think its nice to be able to have several types of orange ;-) I also love the shape and it seems like the window isn''t even noticeable so its a great combo.

Date: 6/10/2009 8:48:26 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Well, I''ve decided to keep it because the color is just beautiful. As much as I don''t like darker toned stones, this stone is special to me. Here are the reasons why:

1) It faces up very large for 3.5 carats
2) Richard Sheerwood likes it a lot (that''s always a plus when a guy who spends his days looking at amazing gems all day long really likes the stone!!)
3) It''s as clean as can be.
4) It has a wonderful sparkle factor
5) It''s a cut I like
but most of all it looks like molten lava, and the color just jumps out at me. Although I love my pear, I actually do not like pear shapes, and my pear has inclusions as well.

Here''s a sunset pic of the stone on my hand next to my pear. It glows in the evening sun. Besides I promised SleepySpinel a pic of it on the hand. I know it''s fuzzy, but the fuzzy colors are more true to life.

I cannot thank everyone enough for their valuable and most of all, HONEST opinions. You are the best!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to everyone for your support and comments.

Now, what should I set it in??? I''m thinking white gold.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Will, my opinion is: One spess per person... please send this gorgous spess to me right away, TL!!
31.gif
11.gif
31.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
After seeing Chrono''s spess, I am thinking WG too.

For your ring...how bout emerald or other step cut side stones?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 12:21:56 AM
Author: mochi
Will, my opinion is: One spess per person... please send this gorgous spess to me right away, TL!!
31.gif
11.gif
31.gif
hmmmmm? I seem to recall you having more than one Mochi!!
25.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL- glad you are keeping it, its a gorgeous cut.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 12:25:02 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker
After seeing Chrono''s spess, I am thinking WG too.

For your ring...how bout emerald or other step cut side stones?
Sounds like a good idea. Any LOGR''s that would fit the bill you think?

Measurements
8.8 x 7.8 x 5.2mm

Here''s the vendor pic. There''s a small window, as you can see, but it really disappears in my other LOGR.

spess_emeraldcut.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 12:32:49 AM
Author: D&T
TL- glad you are keeping it, its a gorgeous cut.
Thanks D&T!!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Would it also fit into a emerald cut setting???

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 12:43:34 AM
Would it also fit into a emerald cut setting???
Yes it would.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I love this setting but wonder if the diamonds will take away from your beautiful stone.

ETA: It's on the pricier side, also...

8191_35.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 12:46:57 AM
I love this setting but wonder if the diamonds will take away from your beautiful stone.

ETA: It''s on the pricier side, also...
I would like something with less diamonds. That would be nice without the diamonds on the shank.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 12:53:00 AM

ETA: It''s on the pricier side, also...
I would like something with less diamonds. That would be nice without the diamonds on the shank.
He could probably do that, seeing you will have to customized the size of the prong setting for your stone. The question is, will he give you a discount for the diamonds that he will not be using?
40.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 12:56:55 AM

Date: 6/11/2009 12:53:00 AM

ETA: It's on the pricier side, also...
He could probably do that, seeing you will have to customized the size of the prong setting for your stone. The question is, will he give you a discount for the diamonds that he will not be using?
40.gif
I saw that one, and I think it's a tad bit overpriced for what it is. I'm not seeing much that I love in LOGR right now for this stone.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with sleepy and say the red component makes the stone richer and deeper...hmm..maybe like viewing into the maw of kilauea..nice rocks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
emwink.gif

lava_yum.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I would have to say gypsy''s citrine comes real close too!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m glad you are keeping it. It’s nice to have a reddish orange spessartite in one’s collection. As for metal colour, I doubt it really matters due to the richness of colour. Nothing will be able to overpower it. I know you love diamond encrusted rings but I think this beauty really needs something simple.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 8:35:34 AM
Author: Chrono
I’m glad you are keeping it. It’s nice to have a reddish orange spessartite in one’s collection. As for metal colour, I doubt it really matters due to the richness of colour. Nothing will be able to overpower it. I know you love diamond encrusted rings but I think this beauty really needs something simple.

. . . . like????

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Caleb Meyer setting?
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results