shape
carat
color
clarity

Debating orange spessertite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got this 3.5 carat stone today in a modified asscher, and I was contemplating returning it right away, but it fits nicely in my LOGR, and although the color is more on the darker side than I like, it isn''t muddy or overly dark. It doesn''t photograph well at all, but this is the closest I could come to the true color in this fuzzy shot.

TLdebating3.JPG

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Well that fuzzy shot is pretty awesome!
30.gif

Are you thinking of returning it because it is darker than you like? It looks very nice to me. Maybe it will grow on you? How long is your return period?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
TL, I like the color even though it''s a little darker than you probably wanted. Can we see it in your LOGR?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
I like it. I would be more than glad to take it off your hands (and I'm not kidding). I like the reddish orange colour but I can't see how clean it is or the facet structure. Other than the darker than you prefer tone, is there anything else bothering you about it?

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 7:52:26 PM
Author: Chrono
TL,
I like it. I would be more than glad to take it off your hands (and I''m not kidding). I like the reddish orange colour but I can''t see how clean it is or the facet structure. Other than the darker than you prefer tone, is there anything else bothering you about it?
Me too!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2009 7:52:26 PM
TL,
I like it. I would be more than glad to take it off your hands (and I'm not kidding). I like the reddish orange colour but I can't see how clean it is or the facet structure. Other than the darker than you prefer tone, is there anything else bothering you about it?
Yes, it doesn't look like yours!!!! LOL!!

Here's a detailed shot, and it doesn't look this brown IRL.

ETA: It holds it's color in sunlight and incandescents.

TLdebating4.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks darker in the enclosed setting.
emotion-40.gif
Take your time to think it through. The colour is nice but you are correct about the tone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another fuzzy shot showing more accurate color.

TLdeating5.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2009 7:58:47 PM
It looks darker in the enclosed setting.
emotion-40.gif
Take your time to think it through. The colour is nice but you are correct about the tone.
Chrono,
I actually love it in the setting, but it's not as neon as my pear, that's for sure. I'm still debating because it is very pretty, and it fits in my LOGR and looks very nice in there. It was sold to me as more of a Mandarin, but I don't think it is bright enough to be considered one. It's totally clean as well, and suppoedly from Namibia, but who knows for sure.

Thanks to everyone else for their comments, I appreciate the honest input.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL i love the color. and I love the cut!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
TL- Going more by the blurry shots, I like the color! The cut looks nice, too, from the more clear photo. Buuuuuut... if you''re after a stone in the range of Chrono''s, you probably should keep looking. There is no sense in wasting good money on stones you don''t ADORE!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I like it! Too bad it isn''t exactly what you had in mind! It is lovely!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2009 8:40:41 PM
Author: icekid
TL- Going more by the blurry shots, I like the color! The cut looks nice, too, from the more clear photo. Buuuuuut... if you're after a stone in the range of Chrono's, you probably should keep looking. There is no sense in wasting good money on stones you don't ADORE!
I don't think I'll ever get a stone like Chrono's, I seriously believe that. In fact, when I decided to see this stone, I knew it wouldn't be like Chrono's. However, I liked the cutting and the color in the vendor pic, and the fact that it was totally clean and fit my LOGR.

ETA: I want people to comment on this, even if they don't like it. No worries here about being offensive. I need honest opinions because I'm on the fence.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it fits in that setting. You better send it my way.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I think Charmy was joking about the stone not fitting in the setting.....but, I was thinking the same thing. And I noticed you wanted to hear opinions. I just posted a shot of my 3.94 asscher in Ryon''s aqua thread. It is a recut of a 5 carat which is now 9x9. Yours is only a bit smaller. Honestly, I did not realize how deep a 9x9 asscher would be. i I am not sure it could comfortably be worn in a ring. I think the stone is lovely and you should keep it if you love it, but I am curious as to whether you think it is too deep to be worn as a ring, except on special occasions. HTH

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this picture. This was taken outdoors after the sun was about to set. I have to get some sunlight pics tomorrow.

TLspessecutoutdoors.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charmy - you''re bad!!
2.gif

Date: 6/8/2009 9:09:51 PM
Author: Pink Tower
I think Charmy was joking about the stone not fitting in the setting.....but, I was thinking the same thing. And I noticed you wanted to hear opinions. I just posted a shot of my 3.94 asscher in Ryon''s aqua thread. It is a recut of a 5 carat which is now 9x9. Yours is only a bit smaller. Honestly, I did not realize how deep a 9x9 asscher would be. i I am not sure it could comfortably be worn in a ring. I think the stone is lovely and you should keep it if you love it, but I am curious as to whether you think it is too deep to be worn as a ring, except on special occasions. HTH
Pink Tower, thank you for your opinion. This asscher is actually cut a little shallow (it has a small window as a result). Therefore, this particular stone would not be a problem. LaurenThePartier has many asschers in her collection, and I think she would be able to answer your question better. This is my first and only asscher.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it. It looks like a very great stone.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
I like the shape. It also seems like the small window minimizes in the setting. Sorry you arent loving the shade of orange. Have you taken it in all the different light environments?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL, you are embarrassing me.
emembarrassed.gif

I think the spessartite stands on its own quite well. The red colour is quite strong in the last posted picture and I do like it, but I feel like you are still very unsure.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2009 11:16:37 PM
Author: sleepyspinel
I like the shape. It also seems like the small window minimizes in the setting. Sorry you arent loving the shade of orange. Have you taken it in all the different light environments?
Hi SS,
I haven''t taken it outside that much in the sun today, but I expect it will perform nicely. What do you think of the color? Honestly?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2009 11:19:05 PM
TL, you are embarrassing me.
emembarrassed.gif

I think the spessartite stands on its own quite well. The red colour is quite strong in the last posted picture and I do like it, but I feel like you are still very unsure.
You know, it's like this, I will always compare it to a magnificent stone like yours, or some of the RH cuts I've seen of mandarins on this and his site. That's my problem, I can't get some of the more vivid colors out of my head. My taste doesn't match my budget I'm afraid. Now I know MINE has a RH reddish orange spess - how do you think her color compares to this one? Is hers more vivid you think? It's kind of difficult to tell from her photos, although it appears to be very beautiful.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mine-mine-mine.29389/

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2009 9:57:05 PM
Author: marcyc
I like it. It looks like a very great stone.
Thanks Marcyc.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Mine''s RH spessartite is awesome in colour and the concave cutting kicked up the colour a notch. I feel like the "needle" sparkle radiating outwards helps with the illusion of a solar flare.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think that Mine's stone has a ton of sparkle, and I think yours does too, it is a different type of sparkle, I like them both. I think your stone looks very bright, and I am sure it looks better IRL because I know I cannot capture the potential of my stone of photograph and it looks photographs with a brown undertone, which it does not have. As for price, I got lucky. RH was discounting all of his stones and this one was almost 20% off, and than he re-listed it at a higher price after I bought it (I guess he was not sure if I was going to keep it or not). So his stones can be expensive, but he does give discounts, he just doesn't advertise them.

Here is what I suggest

1) Look at it in sunlight - I was unsure of my stone when I opened it at night (as you can tell from the doubt I had in my thread), but fell in love with it the next morning in natural light

2) Look it in in dark indirect light (ex in the closet with the lights in). That is when the crazy glow potential comes out

3) Give it a couple days-this stone had to grow on me, it was not love at first site.

But, if you don't love it, and you have your heart set on something different, than don't settle. You should have a stone that you completely happy with.

Overall, being honest, from what I can see if your pictures, the stone looks very bright with a lot of life. It is dark, but does not black out in your setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 12:08:52 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I think that Mine''s stone has a ton of sparkle, but that it is more red than your stone. I think your stone looks very bright, and I am sure it looks better IRL because I know I cannot capture the potential of my stone of photograph and it looks photographs with a brown undertone, which it does not have. As for price, I got lucky. RH was discounting all of his stones and this one was almost 20% off, and than he re-listed it at a higher price after I bought it (I guess he was not sure if I was going to keep it or not).

Here is what I suggest

1) Look at it in sunlight - I was unsure of my stone when I opened it at night (as you can tell from the doubt I had in my thread), but fell in love with it the next morning in natural light

2) Look it in in dark indirect light (ex in the closet with the lights in). That is when the crazy glow potential comes out

3) Give it a couple days-this stone had to grow on me, it was not love at first site.

But, if you don''t love it, and you have your heart set on something different, than don''t settle. You should have a stone that you completely happy with.

Overall, being honest, from what I can see if your pictures, the stone looks very bright with a lot of life. It is dark, but does not black out in your setting.
LtlFirecracker,
Thank you for the excellent and well thought out reply. My pear spess glows in the sun, so I am hoping this will also be very bright in the sun as well. Another thing, I''m currently looking at it in very very dim indirect light in my computer room, and it is not extinct at all. It is darker toned than what I prefer, but I think the color is definitely more bright than a typical spessertite. You know how some garnets are "moody?" Well this one isn''t. The clarity is exceptional on this stone. I louped it and it''s as clean as a whistle. My only reservation has to do with the price, which while isn''t super expensive, isn''t cheap either. I''m just a tight wad I guess, and I want to make sure I''m getting my $$''s worth. The vendor is exceptional, and even if I do not choose this stone, I think someone will absolutely love it. I got my grossular from him, and I love that stone.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
I like the red ember undertone personally. It is not the yellowish orange that the market values most but the decent cut, nice clarity and pleasant color with its size seems to be a pretty good combo in my book. I sure wish I could photograph it
emsmiled.gif

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Two questions I have for you:

1) What is that box you are using for your photographs... did the stone come in that case?

2) Would you mind shooting the stone on top of your hand during daylight? Pretty please
12.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually love that color. But I don''t think it fits the setting either. Setting is cushion shaped so the walls are convex. The emerald has straight sides. I don''t like the two together (sorry). But I do like the stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 12:32:25 AM
Author: sleepyspinel
Two questions I have for you:

1) What is that box you are using for your photographs... did the stone come in that case?

2) Would you mind shooting the stone on top of your hand during daylight? Pretty please
12.gif
1) It''s a plastic case, and yes it came in there.

2) Definitely!! I will shoot it in the LOGR setting as well during the daylight.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results