shape
carat
color
clarity

Debating orange spessertite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
That color is real nice. The stone looks hot to the touch.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amguy,
I''m beginning to think you have a thing for spessertites.
2.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Try taking the picture on a black background when the sun is highest in the sky. Also try casting a shadow over the stone while taking the pic. That should really make it glow in the picture.. This works best on a cloudless day.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CMW,
I''ll try that, but why should I work to have to make it glow?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 4:48:19 AM
Author: colormyworld
Try taking the picture on a black background when the sun is highest in the sky. Also try casting a shadow over the stone while taking the pic. That should really make it glow in the picture.. This works best on a cloudless day.
Thank you CMW. I will try that on my next photoshoot. I have a difficult time trying to capture the glow on camera.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 8:59:33 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
CMW,
I think he is suggesting that for the camera to see the glow, not the eye?

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Tourmaline lover I just picked up this love for spess''s. I hadn''t really took note of them until a few months ago. Man, they have really blown me away. I think the color of spessartites is fantastic. Like I said in the earlier post the color of them looks hot to the touch like magma or lava. They jump out at you. Hold almost any other colored stone next to a spess and the first thing your eye jumps to is the spess. ahh, but tourmaline lover, like you, my heart is truly with tourmalines. They really are the perfect stone.
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 10:32:24 AM
Author: Chrono

Date: 6/9/2009 8:59:33 AM
CMW,
I think he is suggesting that for the camera to see the glow, not the eye?
Duh!! I should have known. Thanks Chrono, CMW!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 10:37:15 AM
Author: amethystguy
Tourmaline lover I just picked up this love for spess''s. I hadn''t really took note of them until a few months ago. Man, they have really blown me away. I think the color of spessartites is fantastic. Like I said in the earlier post the color of them looks hot to the touch like magma or lava. They jump out at you. Hold almost any other colored stone next to a spess and the first thing your eye jumps to is the spess. ahh, but tourmaline lover, like you, my heart is truly with tourmalines. They really are the perfect stone.
2.gif
Not all spessertites, but some. I don''t have a love for overtoned or brownish ones, but I hear what you''re saying. I love my pear shape, and I know I''ve said this about a hundred billion trillion times, but since I love embarassing Chrono, I LOVE HER SPESS AS WELL. hehehehehehe!! (sorry Chrono).

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 4:48:19 AM
Author: colormyworld

I tried that last night, and got must pictures. I will try again this afternoon and see what I can do.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL, I love the cut of it, and I have always had an affinity for red undertones in Spessartites. I don''t know that it''ll work in the LOGR setting because it''s meant for a cushion.

Hmmmm, I wonder if you sent the setting to one of the cutters, if they could cut something exactly the right shape for you.

Date: 6/8/2009 9:23:19 PM
Charmy - you''re bad!!
2.gif

Date: 6/8/2009 9:09:51 PM
Author: Pink Tower
I think Charmy was joking about the stone not fitting in the setting.....but, I was thinking the same thing. And I noticed you wanted to hear opinions. I just posted a shot of my 3.94 asscher in Ryon''s aqua thread. It is a recut of a 5 carat which is now 9x9. Yours is only a bit smaller. Honestly, I did not realize how deep a 9x9 asscher would be. i I am not sure it could comfortably be worn in a ring. I think the stone is lovely and you should keep it if you love it, but I am curious as to whether you think it is too deep to be worn as a ring, except on special occasions. HTH
Pink Tower, thank you for your opinion. This asscher is actually cut a little shallow (it has a small window as a result). Therefore, this particular stone would not be a problem. LaurenThePartier has many asschers in her collection, and I think she would be able to answer your question better. This is my first and only asscher.
Pink Tower - The bottom of your Aqua was just stunning - I can''t wait to see it from the top!

I just had a Scapolite of 8.25mm bezel set and it''s a pretty high ring. I generally like my jewelry to be a bit lower, so it''s taken some getting used to, especially as a right hand ring.
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 11:46:37 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier
TL, I love the cut of it, and I have always had an affinity for red undertones in Spessartites. I don''t know that it''ll work in the LOGR setting because it''s meant for a cushion.

Hmmmm, I wonder if you sent the setting to one of the cutters, if they could cut something exactly the right shape for you.
Nope, done that already. I''m really picky about specific color, tone and saturation, and to get that in a gemstone in the shape I want was just impossible. It''s more possible in a 7x7 it seems, or even a 9x9, but for some reason, it''s difficult to get in an 8x8. Gene discussed the specifics of why this is on another thread.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Now that I know who you are tourm. lover..your spess is one of the reasons I love the stone now. You have a spectacular one....i am envious
2.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 11:50:56 AM

Date: 6/9/2009 11:46:37 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Nope, done that already. I''m really picky about specific color, tone and saturation, and to get that in a gemstone in the shape I want was just impossible. It''s more possible in a 7x7 it seems, or even a 9x9, but for some reason, it''s difficult to get in an 8x8. Gene discussed the specifics of why this is on another thread.
That sounds like such a random size range to not be able to hit.

I''m so sorry you''re having trouble filling it, but that''s why patience is a virtue. And you are super patient!
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some promised outdoor shots. As CMW suggested, I went outside today around noon, and cupped my hand over the stone. Sorry, no black background, and the sun was barely visible today (overcast skies).

TLspessec2.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It actually looks pretty nice on an overcast day, when it is hit with direct sun, it turns slightly darker and not as orange.

Here it is with my other rings. The 4 carat pear on the left is more vibrant in direct sun.

TLspessecwithring.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another pic in indirect sunlight without my hand cupping the stone. I am decidedly torn about this stone because in some lighting, it's like a burning little ember, and in others, it's a bit darker toned, although it does not black out.

Tspessec5.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Direct sun without my head shadow.

TLspessec5.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL - you and I generally like the same colours and I know why you''re hesitating with this one BUT it looks like a mini volcano. Please keep it. I think you''d regret it if you didn''t. The colour play is delicious and I love the amber, orange and red tones.

I''m not sure about it fitting the LOGR setting though. It looks like you''re going to have some air at the sides which I think would annoy you.

In the right setting this spess will look like molton lava. Yummy!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
TL- I still like it! It might have to do, because I don''t think Chrono is ever giving up her stone!
3.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it reminds me of the one I have. Its a pear, it is on the darker side but I love it because though darker than ideal its visible across a room and it glows in low light.

Spess''s of that color aren''t going to make everyone happy. If you''re not happy, then for sure return it.

-A

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one is too dark, even for me. Also, I''m not sure whether it''s a function of the photo, but I can''t see the facet patterns clearly. Who is it from?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 6:09:58 PM
Author: icekid
TL- I still like it! It might have to do, because I don''t think Chrono is ever giving up her stone!
3.gif

I still like it too, but it is not my money

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
ouch I think my screen is on fire..thanks again for the pics TL

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 8:44:04 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
I like it. Very much.
Would you consider that a Fanta color though? I''m slightly worried about the brown I''m seeing in some lighting. I was hoping for a lighter tone, although the saturation seems good.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your honest opinions.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 6:19:48 PM
Author: Arcadian
it reminds me of the one I have. Its a pear, it is on the darker side but I love it because though darker than ideal its visible across a room and it glows in low light.

Spess''s of that color aren''t going to make everyone happy. If you''re not happy, then for sure return it.

-A
Arcadian
Do you have a picture of your stone?

Thank you

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it does look like it has a slight brown overtone, which is common with spessartite. It doesn't look that bad though. I would consider this a fine color.

Part of the problem is the pearshape you have is fantastic. No brown in it at all. If I were grading that as a fancy colored diamond, I would use the terminology "fancy intense", while I would call the asscher "fancy deep". The brown modifier keeps it from being intense in color, but not from being deep in color.

Does that make sense?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am definitely seeing some brown in these newest pictures. It also pales (or darkens) in comparison to your pear. Based on the picture of the two together and knowing how fussy about colour you are, I would return it. You might feel a twinge of disappointment every time you see the new spess because it will always be compared to the pear.

The only way I''ll give up my spessartite is if someone is willing to give me an eye clean kryptonite-like original mine Brazilian paraiba of about 2 carats.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results