shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Wedding Set

StIgnatius

Rough_Rock
Hello.

So I am designing an engagement ring and I have a question. These are CAD images that the Jeweler came up with and my concern was with the prongs on the center stone. They look very boxy and seem to be hiding the diamond. I was told that the CAD image exaggerates things and wont be as big as it looks. I'm not sure about it as I really want it to look more like the prongs of this other ring, which I gave a picture to the jeweler. I was told they went as small as they could on the prongs. Has anyone had experience with CAD images and can say that it won't be so boxy?

cadring2.jpg

example_1.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you ask for a specific type of prong or just regular prongs? That is more like a bezel split 4 ways then prongs.

Edit...looks like they tried to start with a cad that was similar to what you were looking for and threw some kind of head (for
lack of a better term) on top of it. This raises big red flags to me that this cad designer does not have experience especially
if the second ring you posted is what you gave them.

Edit again...I would in no way continue down this path with this jeweler. I would find someone who looked like they knew what
they were doing. David Klass could make this ring...no problem.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes... :-o That looks nothing like the photo you posted. Honestly, I'd get another jeweler. ::)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1463146969|4031212 said:
Did you ask for a specific type of prong or just regular prongs? That is more like a quarter bezel then prongs.

Edit...looks like they tried to start with a cad that was similar to what you were looking for and threw some kind of head (for
lack of a better term) on top of it. This raises big red flags to me that this cad designer does not have experience especially
if the second ring you posted is what you gave them.

Edit again...I would in no way continue down this path with this jeweler. I would find someone who looked like they knew what
they were doing. David Klass could make this ring...no problem

I was just going to suggest DK... he would execute this ring beautifully and for a fair price.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
woah. RUN. I am by no means an expert but i've seen quite a few CADs here on PS and that's the worst i've seen. It looks like it was just thrown together. Cut your losses and RUN.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, can you post more photos/angles of your inspiration ring?

StIgnatius

Rough_Rock
Now I'm upset I've put %25 down on it already to start it and all they've done is this CAD. I wonder if I could get my money back...

I told they jeweler I wanted prongs just like in the picture I gave him. Here is another view of the inspiration ring.

example2_1.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StIgnatius|1463151301|4031241 said:
Now I'm upset I've put %25 down on it already to start it and all they've done is this CAD. I wonder if I could get my money back...

I told they jeweler I wanted prongs just like in the picture I gave him. Here is another view of the inspiration ring.

example2_1.jpg

That is a lovely ring, and I'm sure DK could make it for you.

Goodness, I can understand being upset -- those CADs don't even resemble that ring. But the good thing is you can probably get your money back. Simply tell the jeweler that the CADs look nothing like the ring you wanted, and you don't feel confident the end product will either. No sense in having them try to execute it if they can't even get the same style on the CAD, ya know? If they give you a hard time, just get it in writing that the ring has to look just like the photo. If not, simply cancel it on your credit card -- I hope you paid with a card, as cancelling the payment won't be a big issue. If you paid with cash, the jeweler will have to agree to refund you.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell the jeweler that, based on the vast difference in the CAD, you don't feel like they are the best fit for you for this project. Be very nice, but stern.

...worst case scenario, I would cut my losses and move on with a competent bench, like DK's. If it's a "mom-and-pop" jeweler, then they probably can't afford bad publicity and will most likely (albeit not happily) refund your money.

StIgnatius

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately I paid with a debit card... I'm supposed to meet with the jeweler today to talk about the CAD. Some major changes need to be made if this is going to work out. Ahhh.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StIgnatius|1463152256|4031250 said:
Unfortunately I paid with a debit card... I'm supposed to meet with the jeweler today to talk about the CAD. Some major changes need to be made if this is going to work out. Ahhh.

Debit/Credit -- same deal. That's good news, because you can call the bank and cancel the charge.

Regardless of what the jeweler tells you he/she can do, I would NOT continue with this jeweler. If they were that bad off the first time, then the second won't be any better. That is an entirely different design than the ring you posted. It will not turn out the way you'd like. ::)

We see this scenario a lot on PS, and it's best just to use a more competent bench.

The good news is that you're VERY early in the process, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal to cancel. :))

StIgnatius

Rough_Rock
I did design the ring without the outward facing stones on the band, so that's why those aren't there. Now I sound like I'm trying to justify staying with this jeweler. I'm in denial!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StIgnatius|1463152647|4031257 said:
I did design the ring without the outward facing stones on the band, so that's why those aren't there. Now I sound like I'm trying to justify staying with this jeweler. I'm in denial!!

HA! It's okay... even with that change, the CAD is vastly different from the ring you showed them. Sometimes it seems difficult to have to "break up" with a jeweler. I'm sure they're nice people. However, this is the ring you'll give to your future finace... it needs to be up to par. Their bench doesn't seem the least bit competent in its execution. It's okay. It happens. Just use another jeweler who will give you the ring you want! :halo:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, go and look at David Klass's Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram accounts... He has TONS of photos showing the vast array of styles he can do. He has done rings for many PS members (including myself), and I can honestly say that he is amazing -- and at a great price point as well!

You can also check out this thread -- he truly does wonderful work!
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/[/URL]

StIgnatius

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the information! I am so glad there is this community here!

So would I be able to mail my loose stone for him to set then?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StIgnatius|1463153166|4031261 said:
Thank you so much for the information! I am so glad there is this community here!

You're so welcome, StIg! Please do keep us posted, and make sure to come back and post photos of the lovely ring! Best of luck to you! :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StIgnatius|1463153166|4031261 said:

So would I be able to mail my loose stone for him to set then?

Absolutely! Easy-peasy!! ;))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what it's worth CADS do tend to make things look bigger/more exaggerated then normal, but NOTHING like what they have
given you. What they have given you is some sort of head stuck on a shank. What the cads SHOULD show is the metal from the
shank continuing up into prongs. One continuous line of metal. Not a shank with something plopped on top!

Look at these threads that have CADS in them...there are a few different types of CADS. You can do a search on PS and see
more.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-cads-please.199134/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-cads-please.199134/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/your-opinion-on-sapphire-and-half-moon-side-cads.201095/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/your-opinion-on-sapphire-and-half-moon-side-cads.201095/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-stone-oec-cads-from-david-klass.219230/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-stone-oec-cads-from-david-klass.219230/[/URL] David Klass cads

StIgnatius

Rough_Rock
I'm going to my jeweler in about an hour and I'm going to ask them to give my 25% back. I've already e-mailed David Klass. Thank you for all the insight.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good deal!! [emoji95][emoji1363][emoji95]

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1463163056|4031335 said:
Good deal!! [emoji95][emoji1363][emoji95]

Ha ha! Love this...

StIgnatius

Rough_Rock
Update:

Got my money back. Bought a set from a local jeweler. I first saw the set about two months ago. I went berserker mode after that and searched for many different rings, the custom design fiasco being one of them. I then went back to the local jeweler and the same ring just popped out at me. I couldn't say no. Donezo.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StIgnatius|1463771794|4034106 said:
Update:

Got my money back. Bought a set from a local jeweler. I first saw the set about two months ago. I went berserker mode after that and searched for many different rings, the custom design fiasco being one of them. I then went back to the local jeweler and the same ring just popped out at me. I couldn't say no. Donezo.

Great...as long as you are happy with what you got and think that she will love it too! We'd love to see pics when it's done!

StIgnatius

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1463772086|4034109 said:
StIgnatius|1463771794|4034106 said:
Update:

Great...as long as you are happy with what you got and think that she will love it too! We'd love to see pics when it's done!

Very Happy! I'd be glad to provide some pictures! I can't wait to see it completed ahhhh!

StIgnatius

Rough_Rock
img_6810save.jpg

img_6801save.jpg

img_6800save.jpg

Alright. Here it is. I am really happy with it!! Just got it a couple days ago!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice...so glad you are happy with it and didn't end up with a nightmare of a setting!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
That's a very pretty ring. I'm glad that you were able to get something that you like from your jeweller. It must be quite a relief after seeing the CAD! Best wishes for your engagement.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results