shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with CADs please

redroze

Shiny_Rock
The CADs are in. It's a fairly simple design to house my 1.33 carat round but wanted opinions on a few things. I used the JBEG Elisabeth solitaire as a starting point. The bulkiness of the CADs is deceiving as this will be a dainty 1.8 mm shank, size 4.25. I will ask ERD to make them into split eagle claws prongs as it was missed in the CAD.

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...taire/33240501_ZmPgrn#!i=2884872102&k=6Qv2sjC

Questions:

1) should I remove the pave on the prong stems? I'm thinking yes so they stay dainty as possible, and I'm liking the JBEG groove detail that makes them look like two lines melding together as it flows nicely into the split prongs.
2) see where the shank meets the basket on the side? Should I ask them to lower it so it sits below a row of pave? I think it's needed so the horizontal line of pave is continuous from all angles.
3) do you think it needs a donut?
4) I will be wearing this ring on my right hand, as I love the look of my wedding band alone on my left. I don't ever plan on wearing them stacked . Should I consider something more intricate like 3 sided pave, since there's no worry of them brushing against each other?
4) any other thoughts?

Thanks!

image_1314.jpg
image_1313.jpg
image_1312.jpg
image_1311.jpg

image_1310.jpg image_1309.jpg

redroze

Shiny_Rock
This shows how the shank sits under a row of pave on the jbeg design.

image_1315.jpg

redroze

Shiny_Rock
No interest in my cads...lol. Pretty straightforward design I guess. That's ok I'm in a good spot with them now as I'm getting close as possible to the jbeg ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd switch the profs to match the one in the inspiration. I like them dainty

Also I'd probably put a donut if I'm not worried about a wedding band laying flat against it.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I like the prongs in the jbeg !
I like pave all around, personally! If not pave, then how about delicate engraving?
not sure on the donut or shank meeting the basket.
I am terrible with CAD's and how they will translate, but I am excited for you :twirl:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think no pave on the prongs, and I'd even say none on the basket, just on the shank. I think it looks great otherwise!

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for weighing in! I'll post in SMTB when done.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, just now seeing your thread!

YES, add a doughnut! It you don't raise the height of the basket a little, you will have trouble wearing a band with the ring without it hitting your prongs.

Diamonds on basket okay, but I would not put it on the prongs. They would have to be really tiny and I would just think it would be more pave to risk losing.

I need to look at some other rings because I am not sure about how that side shank meets the basket.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1393718278|3625500 said:
Sorry, just now seeing your thread!

YES, add a doughnut! It you don't raise the height of the basket a little, you will have trouble wearing a band with the ring without it hitting your prongs.

Diamonds on basket okay, but I would not put it on the prongs. They would have to be really tiny and I would just think it would be more pave to risk losing.

I need to look at some other rings because I am not sure about how that side shank meets the basket.

Do you guys think a donut is needed? The jbeg doesn't have one. Maybe I could ask Chris to ensure the basket is high enough to avoid my wedding band if I ever do decide to stack them (which is unlikely). Saw a woman with her ering on right hand and wedding right on left and it looks great! Maintains the look of each ring and shows off the centre stone, which I think is need for diamonds under 2 carats since the ring shanks kind of meld together visually when stacked.

Noticed cads of the ring on jbeg's old site: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com. I really love this design and feel weird copying it and yet I want it as close to her design as possible! Really hope ERD can make it just as dainty as hers.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The base of the head either sits on your that very thin part of the shank or on a doughnut. The doughnut sometimes raises up the head a little so you have a little more height so that you can wear a band next to it without hitting the prongs which are originating at the base of the head (basket). It also sticks out a tiny bit which also helps keep the wedding band from hitting prongs. I think the way the ring is designed in the CADS, it will be difficult to wear a wedding band with it. But if you want it to be a standalone ring, it should be fine.

I see that the JBEG ring has a very low plain gold wedding band with it. So you may be able to order a really low plain band to go with it. I actually do not think your design is all that much like the JBEG ring. Their shank is totally different and a billion rings have a head/basket similar to that. I definitely do prefer no pave on the prongs, and I like the groove ending in split claw prongs.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't add a donut, but I'd definitely ask for the head to be "taller" so that it's less "squat" and that will prevent any issues with bands. But again, I'd remove the pave off the head entirely.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1393723285|3625539 said:
I wouldn't add a donut, but I'd definitely ask for the head to be "taller" so that it's less "squat" and that will prevent any issues with bands. But again, I'd remove the pave off the head entirely.

Ditto.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Setting the diamond higher (making basket taller) will draw the prongs in a little, but I still think if you want to wear something like a diamond wedding band with it that you'll have to wear a spacer band to keep it from hitting the prongs. I just personally prefer a doughnut over a spacer band, but either can work.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Why do you guys dislike the pave around the head - just curious?

My wedding band can fortunately sit flush with any type of ring since it dips down with a slight notch, as even my 2 carat cz ring (which is more shallow than my wedding band) has prongs that my band curves under. So that won't be a problem for days that I do want to stack the rings.

image_1317.jpg
image_1318.jpg
image_1319.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it makes the prongs look like the are covered in barnacles. That's probably just me. As for the basket. The prongs go over the basket. SO if you take the pave off the prongs the basket is going to funny with it, I think.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's busy and asking for trouble, loose stones, etc. I know it looks pretty but I am more practical in that regard.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't object to them on the basket side pieces as much as I do on the prongs. My daughter has the little diamonds on her basket sides but they are so tiny, they don't make much of an impression (but her diamond is just a little over a carat). If I were having that style ring made, I'd love hand engraving done on that basket part with milgrain on the top edge. I have seen it before but will have to see if I saved the picture.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
I see what you mean about finishing it Gypsy. That link is perfect. Thanks all! Yes I prefer plain gold prongs too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results