shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom ring idea.. comments?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Xedoc

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Well, I''ve been browsing the forum for a week or so, and I''ve been quite familiar with diamonds for a few years now. Although I''ve never purchased an engagement ring for my own proposal, I''ve helped half a dozen friends pick one for their future wife, all with great results.

I''ve recently been seeing someone who''s beyond everything I could imagine, and while I have no desire to get engaged within a year of dating, I''m always one to want to be prepared and hopeful for the future. That said, I''ve always known I wanted to work with a jeweler to custom design the ring for the one I plan to marry.

My own personal favorite to give someone would be a ~1.5 ct ideal cut asscher, D/E/F, VVS2 or better, with excellent symmetry & polish in a half-bezel platinum setting.. maybe with a trillion on each side, but I''d much rather give someone else what THEY want most! ;-)

Anyway, she recently revealed that she loves the marquise style the most, sidestones, white metal, and diamond wedding band. She has a right hand ring with 3 round diamonds at about .25 ct each, with multiple smaller rounds around them in platinum. I don''t think she''s too partial to sidestone styles other than the fact that she likes them, just as long as the featured diamond is a marquise. I plan to pick a few more questions within the next week to narrow down my decisions and better align my design with her dream ring.

So here''s what I was thinking of..
A 1.0-1.5 ct marquise center diamond (roughly 10-10.5mm x 5-5.5mm) set north-south, on each side a ~.425 ct princess set slightly below the marquise, and a ~.175 ct trillion to the side of each princess.. at least 2.25 carat total weight looking somewhat like this:

I''m looking into a cathedral-style 3-4mm wide platinum band, with the far points of the trillions being set flush with the band, while the inside points of the trillions raising up from the band. The princess stones will flow up with the cathedral style, and the marquise raised in the center by two very supportive half-bezel prongs, leaving a small portion of the sides of the marquise open. Now, she''s a slender woman, so I may have to limit the size of the stones based on the width of her finger, but this layout is the general idea. All stones preferred to have the best cut possible first, a D-G color, VS2 or better clarity, and at least VG/VG symmetry/polish on the marquise/trillions and EX/EX on the princesses. I''m sure she''s interested in diamonds on the wedding band, so I''m planning on 10-12 0.04-0.05 ct asscher or princess stones channel-set in a 3mm wide platinum band. I''d like to leave the option of adding a second band on the opposite side of the ring as well to balance the "overhang" of the marquise on each side.

I''ve been kicking around the idea of going for a medium blue fluorescence for the marquise and having my own wedding band be a 6-10mm wide square platinum comfort-fit band with a single ~.33-.5 ct asscher in-laid flush with the top center of the band, while also having a medium blue fluorescence. I think it''d be interesting to see the prime stone in her engagement ring with my asscher band both have that quality with the UV light - a hidden match. :)

The overall look of the e-ring and two bands would be roughly 9-10mm wide.. going for modern boldness with plenty of sparkle:
xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx

A few questions I''ll be sure to get answered include sidestone preference (size relative to marquise, desired shapes), band thickness, prong-style, marquise ratios (wide, long, or balanced), wedding band stone shape preference.. Anything I''m forgetting? She''s pretty open for this conversation knowing that I''m not the sort to rush into proposing any time soon - just letting me know her preferences so that I''m prepared if/when the time comes!

I''m a software engineer/graphic designer, so I''m currently creating a 3D CAD model to assist a jeweler in design. I know Whiteflash will do this for you, but if I can figure out what look fits best on my own, I don''t mind helping them through this process. Based on comments on these forums, Whiteflash is at the top of my list to build this ring if the time comes. A proposal, if it''s going to happen, won''t be any sooner than early next summer and at the latest about this time next year, so I''ve got quite a bit of time to perfect her dream ring and have it made late in the spring - nothing wrong with being prepared. :)

Well, let me know what you think of these ideas..

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Xedoc,

I love all the thought you've put into this.
1.gif
And I REALLY love that you want to get her what SHE wants. Kudos on that!
36.gif

Here are my intial thoughts.

Mixing that many different cuts, is, a lot going on.... I would go to a jeweler and try that whole combo out first, if you haven't already. With both the ering and wband. The wedding band, again, is adding a lot. And not only with diamonds, but with width. I happen to like width, but I wouldn't like something that wide overall, but that's just me! If you know that won't bother her, please ignore.
2.gif

Let me ask, have you actually gone browsing with her, to see/know what style settings she likes?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you are putting a lot of time and effort into this!
36.gif
And it sounds like a very distinctive design you have planned.

I don''t know what you are looking for by way of comments, but I''d like to echo Ellen''s comments about going shopping with her. A lot of women prefer clean and simplier designs. So I would definitely find out what type of settings you lady prefers because it would be sad to have her wanting a solitaire or a marquise with a halo, or an east west marquise, or a marquise three stone with tapered baguettes when you are going through all this trouble.

And, if I were to be really frank. I''d consider showing her your CADS before moving forward. If you were planning something a little less distinct I wouldn''t say that, but with what you have planned it''s a bit of a love it or leave it type design. And if she has tweaks she''d like made, it would probably make her feel even more invested, and make the project even more special if you two shared it together. Just something to consider.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2009 3:51:37 PM
Author: Ellen
Hi Xedoc,

I love all the thought you''ve put into this.
1.gif
And I REALLY love that you want to get her what SHE wants. Kudos on that!
36.gif

Here are my intial thoughts.

Mixing that many different cuts, is, a lot going on.... I would go to a jeweler and try that whole combo out first, if you haven''t already. With both the ering and wband. The wedding band, again, is adding a lot. And not only with diamonds, but with width. I happen to like width, but I wouldn''t like something that wide overall, but that''s just me! If you know that won''t bother her, please ignore.
2.gif

Let me ask, have you actually gone browsing with her, to see/know what style settings she likes?
ditto, and I like width as well, but there''s a lot of design elements going on.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that you are so much into the design process...very cool! There does sound like there could be a lot going
on which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the girl. I love your ideas and hope that you will
share them with her to make sure that she loves the ring as much as you do. I have seen a couple of marquise
stones with the trillions on either side but never with princess stones thrown in. Cant wait to see how this
progresses!

EDIT - here is one like I am talking about. This marquise would be a little to wide to do as a 5 stone ring.

fvs1.JPG

Xedoc

Rough_Rock
This is exactly the sort of feedback I''m looking for. Thank you.

These are just initial ideas - no CAD work will begin until I''m certain of what she''d like. I pieced together a few overhead images of stones to get a simple 2D idea of what it''ll look like, and I do agree that I think it looks a bit ''busy'' with 3 different style stones on top. I''m now thinking of cutting off the trillions and either going with smaller princess diamonds in their place to give a tapered effect down the band, or just going with a 3-stone engagement band - either princess or round on each side of the marquise.

I''ll pick a few more questions from her in the coming days, but browsing with her is totally out of the question. She''s already made it clear that she has no interest in window shopping this topic, which makes me think she won''t be terribly picky about specifics. She knows she''s leaving a lot of ring design ideas to me, but she has no idea that I''ll be designing one myself - so I won''t be showing her CAD models before a proposal. If this were an anniversary gift, I''d be all for working with her to design the perfect ring, but she''s very traditional when it comes to engagement rings and the surprise of a proposal - she only wants to mention what she likes early in the relationship and leave the rest for me to decide when the time is right.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally understand her not wanting to go look, so that answers that question.

What I would suggest, is playing around with different combinations to see all the different "looks". Some designs flow more easily than others. And again, while it''s great you can draw these up, seeing stones in real life may help you figure out what does and doesn''t work. We ladies can tell you from first hand experience, that many times what we loved seeing in pics online, was quickly dismissed for one reason or another once we saw them in real life!
28.gif

Please feel free to pick the female brains here anytime, we love helping, especially when a guy puts so much thought into the ring!
5.gif

And you''re quite welcome.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might want to look at Leon Mege's site to get some ideas; I think what you have in mind is similar some of his custom designs.

Have you ever considered simply setting pear shape diamonds on either side of the Marquise to maintain the elegance of the curvature?

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2009 6:13:49 PM
Author: Engagement Ring Expert
Have you ever considered simply setting pear shape diamonds on either side of the Marquise to maintain the elegance of the curvature?
This sounds like a nice idea. I think the pear shape may be more visually compatible as side stones to the marquise than round or princess. It could also be three stone while giving you a similar width to your original 5 stone idea, but less busy.

I love how much thought you've put into this! Let us know what we can do to help!

ETA: My only other comment is regarding the proposed width of her whole set. Be sure to double check how she feels about this and what it may look like. Examine her 'finger real estate'. Being a slender female doesn't mean she has long thing fingers, etc. How much real estate does she have between knuckles? If she has shorter fingers, less width may be more comfortable, etc. I personally prefer as little width as possible, whereas others love the width, all personal preference, but one of the more important things to consider especially if you plan on adding 2 or more bands to go with it in the future.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Visually, I would say trillion-marquise-trillion or pear-trillion-pear would be the most pleasing. IM(V)HO, I think the princesses would possibly interrupt the flow- too geometrical; also, that is a *lot* of finger coverage- the with five stones (including two almost half-carat princesses) and a significant size center stone, the trillions might get tucked between her fingers and not visible, so if you go with the princesses, make sure it''s gonna fit on her finger OK. Seriously though, do what you think would be best! I''m sure she''s gonna love it, no matter what. You''re a fabulous guy for going with what she likes over what you like!
1.gif

Xedoc

Rough_Rock
tyty333 - Thanks for the link.. a lot of ideas from there. In fact, this is similar to what I''m talking about, except replace the smaller princess sidestones on the ends with a trillion on each side of the larger princess. Also, keep the side of the band smooth where a wedding band would be next to it - without the "blockiness" from the princess sticking off the entire band. The sides of the marquise hang over the edge of each princess, helping the arrangement to not be so wide:

http://www.adiamor.com/R-1157-R2354-1.htm

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought I''d throw in some other examples, just to give you an idea of all your options.

Here''s a thread with several ideas

East/West halo

More suggestions

Sipper''s

10 carat Marquise Sometimes less is more, this would be that. Even without a 10 ct stone.
9.gif

Another

Several examples, and there''s a nice one of a Marquise with pear sides in here.

Xedoc

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone - great links to add to the ideas..

So I took advantage of the collection of questions I had for her this weekend and made it through, only to be slightly more unsure of exactly which direction to take because she''s not very specific at all. I know most guys would love this situation, but she isn''t very demanding at all for what she wants. She has no preference for what sidestone styles, only that she doesn''t want a solitaire.. she wants plenty of sparkle but isn''t concerned at all with individual diamond sizes. She likes channel-set diamonds for a wedding band, definitely platinum for the metal of all rings, and longer as opposed to wider style of marquise.

She does have a ring that she really likes on her right hand - it''s about 8mm wide with a row of north-south baguettes and a row of rounds on along their each of their ends. She''s not crazy about the baguettes due to lack of sparkle, but I can tell she has no problem with the width of the ring itself and likes that nearly the entire top of the ring is diamond - an area of about 8mm x 15mm. This was my initial impression for going with princesses/trillions on the sides of the marquise - plenty of surface area for sparkle while incorporating the marquise in the middle.

Overall, here''s a pretty simple list of criteria that she wants, but the rest is up to me:
- Higher ratio (I''m guessing at least 1.8:1, probably around a 2:1) marquise center diamond set north-south.
- Sidestones, but no preference in count/style.. just wants a lot of sparkle from the ring as a whole. I''m not considering baguette/emerald/asscher for sidestones for this reason.
- Platinum on all rings.
- More plain/bold/clean style - no vintage or intricate design or etchings for the metal on the ring. No halo setting diamonds around the marquise. I think she''d prefer 4-6 larger diamonds for sidestones than a marquise and a bunch of smaller diamonds, like pave styles or just a simple channel-set row.
- Channel-set diamonds on a wedding band.
- No specifics on carats for anything, just as long as they''re clear & clean diamonds. I''m thinking great cut and G/VS2 or better. I honestly think she''d be happy with a .5 ct marquise and 4-6 sidestones for some extra sparkle. However, I want to give her far more than she''d ever ask for.. so I''m shooting for at least 1 ct on the marquise and around 2-2.5 ct total weight.
- She wants my style as part of a ring because she would want it to symbolize the tastes of both of us and that it''s not just all about her. She wants to be reminded that I like the ring just as much as she does, not just the fact that I gave it to her.

I really get the feeling that she''d be happy with any ring in platinum with a long marquise and sidestones so maybe I''m just trying to be too perfect with this design.

Argh.. I realized I forgot one of the most important questions though.. ring finger size! And I thought I wouldn''t need to bring up this topic again. ;-)

In having this conversation with her, along with talking about relationships in general as we''ve gotten older (I''m 30 and she''s 29), I think I''ve come to realize that there''s no need to delay what you feel is right, especially since we want the same things out of life - a family while we''re still young enough to enjoy life after kids are out of the house. Not that a proposal will happen in the next couple months, but I may not be waiting till early next summer for a proposal just to fit my own (previous) belief in waiting at least a year to really get to know someone before that time. I''m now starting to think more towards the holidays.. with perhaps a wedding next summer/fall.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 2:02:34 PM
Author: Xedoc

- More plain/bold/clean style - no vintage or intricate design or etchings for the metal on the ring. No halo setting diamonds around the marquise. I think she''d prefer 4-6 larger diamonds for sidestones than a marquise and a bunch of smaller diamonds, like pave styles or just a simple channel-set row.

- Channel-set diamonds on a wedding band.

If she likes channel settings, I''d go that route for e-ring and band. Here''s an example of a marquise on a channel band with princess cuts, though ideal cut rounds would also be a good choice for maximum sparkle:

ER Pics from DM

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
I agree....something like this Leon Mege?

r1191_028Ww.jpeg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 3:33:38 PM
Author: DianaBanana

I agree....something like this Leon Mege?
Gorgeous. Heart sides would be pretty too.

I''m at a loss on what to suggest as far as multiple sidestones, and with what she doesn''t want, that rules out a lot of options. This could be tricky!

Xedoc

Rough_Rock
Well, I rather quickly threw together a few images to get a better idea of what this original idea of a marquise/princess/trillion ring would look like with channel-set princess bands to balance the overhang of the marquise. The image is very close to scale with the bands being 2.8mm wide, and the ring being 3mm wide, for an 8.6mm overall width. The marquise is about 10.25x5.25 (roughly 1.0-1.2 ct), the two princesses are 4.2x4.2 (.40-.45 ct each), and the trillions are also 4.2x4.2 (.15-.20 ct each) to line up with the princesses.

I''ve intentionally placed wider trillions/princesses than the e-ring band width since they will raise above the two wedding bands, but the far points of the trillions will be set flush with the band until they begin to rise above it in a cathedral-style. I''m not sure I like the channel-set princesses in the wedding bands going beyond the edge of the princesses on the e-ring.. Maybe I''ll look into swapping the trillions for princesses, but I like the balance of the points on the sides with the marquise''s points.
Just one idea so far that seems to really fit what she''s looking for, but I''m sure I''ll change my mind half a million times in the coming months. I really like the large marquise as the focal point of the ring, and I''m sure the princesses will add that extra sparkle she''s looking for. ;-)

Let me know what you think... constructive criticism is always welcome. :)

ring-marquise-princess-trillion-with-bands.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking at 5 stone rings and thought you might want to see this sort of as a reference ...try to picture it with
a marquise in the middle and the 2 outter stonesas trillions (like you want)...The stones are stepped down from each other.
I think it would be pretty - definitly a whole lot of bling! This ring is a total of 1.5 and you are looking at I think 2 ctw
minimum.

http://www.sndgems.com/platinumdiamondfivestoneringsfs.htm

qualityvision

Rough_Rock
You should contact Stefano Designs in New York. They do amazing work in CAD and provide you with unbelievable 3d previews before any money is spent or time is wasted. their website is Stefano Designs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results