shape
carat
color
clarity

Conclusion to the negative experience with Whiteflash...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 6:25:32 PM
Author: hikerchick

I am very uncomfortable with how ''vendor love'' heavy people are sometimes. As I understand it and correct me if I am wrong, this is a consumer board and we should all be allowed, even welcomed to post our experiences good and bad and not be intimidated into just reporting the good stuff.
I totally believe that there are unsatisfied customers. I also believe that some of the situations could have reached a satisfactory conclusion if they''d been pursued. You had an option to pursue further and you elected not to. That was a choice. The OP of this thread elected not to have verbal communication. That was a choice.

I don''t email whiteflash. I occasionally email with John on various topics, but if I want to talk to someone, I call. Twice if I have to. You have to realize they are VERY busy and are not running an elite service. They have an elite brand of diamonds, yes... and they strive to have their jewelry in the category of "excellent" but they are still moving quickly aiming for a 2 week turnaround time. If you want personal attention you go elsewhere and then you PAY for it. Whiteflash has extremely reasonable prices. They have to strike a balance to accomplish all they set out to accomplish. If someone takes issue with the product, I absolutely believe they should confront the issue - PRIVATELY.

If anything from these threads and my own situation I''ve learned that these things should be dealt with behind the scenes UNLESS there is a good reason to involve the public at large. There have been a couple things that have come up in my ring making saga that I have not brought to the board and am GREATLY relieved that I listened to the wisdom of my designer about keeping things off of here. They end up worked out to my extreme satisfaction and realize that it was all terribly important or perhaps misunderstood or whatever at the time, but you work through it and no one needed to have their name or reputation dragged through the mud because all the pieces aren''t quite fitting the way you''d want them to at that moment.

you have a voice - use it! but use it wisely and to the people with whom it matters most. And if you accept the work, you should accept responsibility for that conclusion.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
A quick note about receiving emails and spam filters that no one seems to have mentioned:

It is actually possible to receive some email from a party and not others. I''ve missed emails because:

1. Corporate firewall rejected incoming email because file attachments (pictures) were too big
2. Spam filter is run by an outsourced organization, and they may have flagged origins as possible spam, even though you personally haven''t
3. Security software suspects that attachments might be viruses, and rejects the emails.
4. You''ve allowed emails from a specific person at a company, and someone else from that company may be sending the pictures (this happened to me -- Lesley
was on my list of approved senders, but Vera wasn''t.)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 6:40:27 PM
Author: decodelighted

The way *I* interpreted both sides''s claims -- it seems that OP has gone back on their promise to be ''satisfied'' with monetary compensation. Not that it''s ''buying silence''.
I like hikerchick perfectly fine and I have to say that upfront here... because I think in some way she does the same by having accepted the ring and continuing to complain about it. Whiteflash still had the door open to fix whatever the issue was, and hiker&beau CHOSE to say, we accept this ring as is. It is perhaps not as devious as the OP here but not the best way to handle things either.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 7:26:42 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 4/13/2007 6:40:27 PM

The way *I* interpreted both sides''s claims -- it seems that OP has gone back on their promise to be ''satisfied'' with monetary compensation. Not that it''s ''buying silence''.
I like hikerchick perfectly fine and I have to say that upfront here... because I think in some way she does the same by having accepted the ring and continuing to complain about it. Whiteflash still had the door open to fix whatever the issue was, and hiker&beau CHOSE to say, we accept this ring as is. It is perhaps not as devious as the OP here but not the best way to handle things either.
Can''t please everyone . . . I have accepted the ring as is but I have NOT written away my right to discuss it whenever I feel it is appropriate. I do not go about posting weekly or daily complaining about WF, I don''t tell people looking to buy WF products not to buy them, I even recommend their diamonds as I feel they have great diamonds. When appropriate I respond with a mention of my experience. If that seems inappropriate to some or even to all, well . . . that''s life .. . can''t please them all.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 7:51:20 PM
Author: hikerchick

Can''t please everyone . . . I have accepted the ring as is but I have NOT written away my right to discuss it whenever I feel it is appropriate. I do not go about posting weekly or daily complaining about WF, I don''t tell people looking to buy WF products not to buy them, I even recommend their diamonds as I feel they have great diamonds. When appropriate I respond with a mention of my experience. If that seems inappropriate to some or even to all, well . . . that''s life .. . can''t please them all.
absolutely!

and I agree that they have awesome diamonds though my thoroughly glowing praise would be limited to that in which they specialize - mainly rounds. They do their rounds brilliantly.

You can *say* whatever you like, I just find that it is better to be proactive than regretful.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tell me when it''s time for pie, I''m hungry!!!
18.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 9:21:24 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
I think the honorable thing to do would be for John to commit hari-kari.

Oh SNAP! Hahaha!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I've been watching this thread and its very interesting. I think I have to agree with those that have mentioned that the purchase of an engagement ring is a highly charged emotional experience for the buyers. Hell, it's probably why we pay so damn much for a little cut piece of old carbon plunked into some metal! It's also an emotional time - partners want to get a ring that is "special" and celebrates their decision to spend their lives together. We see movies and tv shows and see couples happily and dreamily shopping for and purchasing their rings. So when snafus occur, I can totally understand how the buyers could be beyond upset. In this case, it still is baffling why phone calls were not possible. I mean, if I was having a ring made and no matter if I was living in the same country or not, I'd probably have a "bat phone" installed so those making my ring could call me any time day or night. That said, even though it seems like WF tried to make good on the ring, I personally would have simply sent the ring back and requested a full refund and started over elsewhere, that is, if I felt like the experience marred my wanting to wear that ring forever. I dont understand why they didn't just ask for a refund. Am I missing something?

Edited to add:
I just re read some of the posts and I understand why the poster preferred to have things via email so they would be in writing. I'd still follow up with phonecalls but that's just me.

I also have to say that I'm a little dismayed by the sarcastic comments thrown at the initial poster in this thread. It's important for forums like this one to support people being able to share their experiences - good and bad - so we can all know more about what we're buying. It's easy to say that the customer was wronged. Just as its easy to say WF did nothing wrong either. But none of us really knows what transpired so I'm not making any assumptions. I appreciate hearing all kinds of feedback on vendors, shops, etc. so I can learn more. But making biting, sarcastic comments to someone who's trying to share their experience just seems to cheapen the discussion and creates an unfriendly atmosphere in which others will feel comfortable to share their experiences that might not be so positive.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 9:21:24 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
I think the honorable thing to do would be for John to commit hari-kari.
HA! You forgot "bequeath his entire estate to set up a fund earmarked for future credits to not-perfectly-satisfied customers". Sorry John''s fiance! But bizzness is bizzzness!
25.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 9:39:37 PM
Author: surfgirl

I also have to say that I'm a little dismayed by the sarcastic comments thrown at the initial poster in this thread. It's important for forums like this one to support people being able to share their experiences - good and bad - so we can all know more about what we're buying. It's easy to say that the customer was wronged. Just as its easy to say WF did nothing wrong either. But none of us really knows what transpired so I'm not making any assumptions. I appreciate hearing all kinds of feedback on vendors, shops, etc. so I can learn more. But making biting, sarcastic comments to someone who's trying to share their experience just seems to cheapen the discussion and creates an unfriendly atmosphere in which others will feel comfortable to share their experiences that might not be so positive.

I absolutely agree, surfgirl. Some of the reactions in this thread are why customers (like me, for example) are or were too afraid to voice their less-than-stellar experiences fully. As hikerchick said, "vendor love" exists at PS whether people admit it or not, and I found treatment of the OP to be nasty and unfair.
38.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely think people should be able to post their experiences, both good and bad, about any vendor. Yes, I had a good experience with Whiteflash and my sales representative. If I had a poor experience with them, I would have posted that as well. (And just because I had a good experience with WF doesn''t mean that I think WF can do no wrong-it is run by humans.)

I think most people''s (or at least my) problem with the OP stems from the fact that he apparently got exactly what he wanted (new ring and discount) but still concluded he had an entirely negative experience. To me, that''s just not reasonable.

However, each person can draw their own conclusions based on the OP''s posts as well as WF''s rebuttal. If you post on a public forum, you are opening yourself up to both support and criticism.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
thing, I hear you, but...what I was trying to say above and perhaps it got a bit lost, is that despite making good in the end, the experience essentially ruined a very special time/purchase in this couple''s life and they just needed to vent about it. Their experience is my worst fear because I''m the type of person who''d rather just get rid of the ring because of the vibes it held for me. So I can feel for them in that manner. I hope being able to share their experiences can help them to move on and enjoy what should be a wonderful time in their lives!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh,
Were you asking for some lemon pie?!?!?! I thought I heard a sweetheart of a PS'er calling for a piece. I have a beautiful piece right here. It is DE-licious. YUMMMMMMY!
3.gif
Anyone else for some? Come on; you know you want some
35.gif

imag46713597es.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 10:29:45 PM
Author: thing2of2

I think most people''s (or at least my) problem with the OP stems from the fact that he apparently got exactly what he wanted (new ring and discount) but still concluded he had an entirely negative experience. To me, that''s just not reasonable.

The OP didn''t get exactly what he wanted, though, did he? After a problem with the ring and a problem with WF''s customer service, he was offered a refund or a discount on a future purchase. What about the OPs time, treatment and the memories surrounding this ring?

To err is human, and I completely understand that no one should expect a perfect experience. However, posts like these are healthy for this board and for Whiteflash.

Would you have heard the same sarcastic, presumptuous replies had the experience been with, say, Tiffany? I doubt it.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 10:10:55 PM
Author: EBree
I absolutely agree, surfgirl. Some of the reactions in this thread are why customers (like me, for example) are or were too afraid to voice their less-than-stellar experiences fully. As hikerchick said, ''vendor love'' exists at PS whether people admit it or not, and I found treatment of the OP to be nasty and unfair.
38.gif

I can see why you might feel that way, EBree... let me just ask you a question, though...

While two wrongs don''t make a right, do you think the OP was fair through this whole process with respect to his posts? Did he not seem "nasty" at times?

As far as his harsh treatment, my view is he brought some of it on himself. You reap what you sew, you know? If you set a confrontational tone, and come across as stubborn, you''ll get some of that in return. Because we are on a message board and we don''t know eachother personally, it is best to tone down the rhetoric just a little bit (that goes for both sides).

And I definitely agree that some posters here are a little prone to defend certain vendors, but I''ve seen others complain about popular PS vendors with much more "success" as far as eliciting constructive ideas, criticism, and resolutions.

I have a feeling that if you had shared your story you would have done so with more tact, and would have been treated more fairly in return.

That is not to say that posters here should pile on Dana, which some might have done, just that I can see why it got a little ugly, and I do not think the OP is 100% innocent (or 10% innocent, for that matter)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is what you start with Kaleigh. Aren't they gorgeous!!
30.gif
I just need help squeezing them. Any helpers???? I accidentally ate that one piece so I have to make more.
9.gif
See how I am; I offer a piece and then eat it!!! I know there are some good cooks out there. I bet the new pie will be even more DE-Licious
3.gif

lemons1.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
boston_jeff,

You're absolutely right; OP didn't use as much tact as he could have when describing his experience. But I also understand that he was angry, and felt as though he paid thousands of dollars for a lousy experience. When you're treated poorly at a restaurant and have a manager apologize and offer a refund, it's completely reasonable to still be angry at the restaurant and a particular waiter, no? Add to a similar situation thousands of dollars, and tempers flair a bit more.

I can completely understand WF coming to the board and telling their side of the story. What I don't understand, however, were the rude replies from members of Pricescope that really only had information from a he-said/he-said situation. They jumped to defend WF when they weren't a part of the experience at all, which I found to be completely unfair.

It's easy to defend a vendor you've only had pleasant experiences with. How could a company who treated you so fabulously treat someone else so poorly? OP must be overreacting, or be 'too hard to please', right?

This board exists to share information, pictures and experiences. If we're afraid to share the poor, what's the point? Do we really want to become that 'other board'?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually, EBree, he did get a discount on the exact ring he purchased. JohnQuixote explains this in his post. And I''m not sure what I''ve said to the OP that can be perceived as sarcastic.

As far as this being a hypothetical complaint about Tiffany, if this happened exactly the same way, yes, I would react exactly the same way. I''m an intelligent, rational person and I can assure you that I am not blinded by "vendor love." I''ve been on both sides of the customer service table (as a retail store manager) so it''s very easy for me to put myself in the shoes of both the OP and WF.

No company/person/experience is without flaws, and it seems to me that WF did what they could to resolve this situation to the OP''s satisfaction. I understand that emotions can run high during a large and significant purchase like this, but in life, most things aren''t perfect.

If the ring and engagement experience were going to be forever tainted in the OP''s mind by the setting problem, he should have taken the refund offered and spent his thousands elsewhere.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 11:35:04 PM
Author: thing2of2

No company/person/experience is without flaws, and it seems to me that WF did what they could to resolve this situation to the OP's satisfaction. I understand that emotions can run high during a large and significant purchase like this, but in life, most things aren't perfect.

If the ring and engagement experience were going to be forever tainted in the OP's mind by the setting problem, he should have taken the refund offered and spent his thousands elsewhere.

thing2of2,

WF absolutely did what they could to resolve the situation. I don't doubt that whatsoever. They did the same to me, and I've praised John's wonderful 'bedside manner' and willingness to do whatever it took to make me happy.

My issue isn't with WF; it's with the members of this board that, in my opinion, pointed fingers unnecessarily at the OP for being 'too hard to please'. So what if OP is unhappy even after everything was done to remedy the situation? The offers didn't erase the poor customer service the OP received, nor did they erase the unacceptable level of product received. Everyone (myself included) has acknowledged that WF is human, and no one should expect perfect service. That's the beauty of Pricescope. People can praise WF to the heavens, and people can share their bad experiences as well. These conflicting reviews, in my opinion, give future customers a picture of what CAN happen instead of expecting perfection.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 11:28:36 PM
They jumped to defend WF when they weren''t a part of the experience at all, which I found to be completely unfair. It''s easy to defend a vendor you''ve only had pleasant experiences with. How could a company who treated you so fabulously treat someone else so poorly? OP must be overreacting, or be ''too hard to please'', right?
I''m sorry you felt "too afraid" to vent about whatever problems you''ve had with any vendor -- but I think you''re entirely off the mark when you posit that people only defend Whiteflash. Check out Harriet''s thread about being insulted at Tiffany''s -- or another thread about someone feeling sexually harrassed at a Surf Shop ... these are situations I had no *personal* knowledge of, and no reason to "defend" the vendors -- however I saw "another side" to the situation from the COMPLAINER''S OWN WORDS.

Message boards, IMO, aren''t just places to blindly vent & get pats on the back. It''s a FORUM for both support and discussion. If you don''t have the guts to hear both sides & lots of opinions .. it''s probably best to seek support in less public venues.

AIIGHHH -- I WANT PIE!!!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 11:41:49 PM

I'm sorry you felt 'too afraid' to vent about whatever problems you've had with any vendor -- but I think you're entirely off the mark when you posit that people only defend Whiteflash. Check out Harriet's thread about being insulted at Tiffany's -- or another thread about someone feeling sexually harrassed at a Surf Shop ... these are situations I had no *personal* knowledge of, and no reason to 'defend' the vendors -- however I saw 'another side' to the situation from the COMPLAINER'S OWN WORDS.

Message boards, IMO, aren't just places to blindly vent & get pats on the back. It's a FORUM for both support and discussion. If you don't have the guts to hear both sides & lots of opinions .. it's probably best to seek support in less public venues.

AIIGHHH -- I WANT PIE!!!

Deco,

I never said that people only defend Whiteflash. When I posted about *my* situation, YOU, among many, were incredibly sympathetic to my own problems with them (though I didn't mention them by name, I feel as though I was pretty obvious) and I was grateful. Regarding this thread, however, I felt as though the OP was treated unfairly, and that people were writing him off as too hard to please because he was unhappy with his overall experience.

I've said my piece, and I stand by what I say. I'd hate to see other members of PS scared to post about a certain vendor by name because they feel a similar situation as this could occur. That being said, I'll take a piece of whatever pie's being served.
3.gif
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 11:49:54 PM
Date: 4/13/2007 11:41:49 PM

I''m sorry you felt ''too afraid'' to vent about whatever problems you''ve had with any vendor -- but I think you''re entirely off the mark when you posit that people only defend Whiteflash. Check out Harriet''s thread about being insulted at Tiffany''s -- or another thread about someone feeling sexually harrassed at a Surf Shop ... these are situations I had no *personal* knowledge of, and no reason to ''defend'' the vendors -- however I saw ''another side'' to the situation from the COMPLAINER''S OWN WORDS.

Message boards, IMO, aren''t just places to blindly vent & get pats on the back. It''s a FORUM for both support and discussion. If you don''t have the guts to hear both sides & lots of opinions .. it''s probably best to seek support in less public venues.

AIIGHHH -- I WANT PIE!!!

Deco,

I never said that people only defend Whiteflash. When I posted about *my* situation, YOU, among many, were incredibly sympathetic to my own problems with them (though I didn''t mention them by name, I feel as though I was pretty obvious) and I was grateful. Regarding this thread, however, I felt as though the OP was treated unfairly, and that people were writing him off as too hard to please because he was unhappy with his overall experience.

I''ve said my piece, and I stand by what I say. I''d hate to see other members of PS scared to post about a certain vendor by name because they feel a similar situation as this could occur. That being said, I''ll take a piece of whatever pie''s being served.
3.gif
9.gif

EBree,

When you asked "Would you have heard the same sarcastic, presumptuous replies had the experience been with, say, Tiffany? I doubt it." I took it to mean that you do think people only defend WF. Perhaps you meant it in a different way...either way, I definitely agree that both positive and negative posts about all vendors are necessary for this forum and they definitely help rookie diamond purchasers such as myself.

So can I get a piece of that pie you and Deco are enjoying?
3.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay it's time for pie, serve me up a big ole slice Skippy!!!
18.gif

And for what it's worth, people shouldn't be afraid to tell their experiences it's a consumer forum for heavens sakes!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Just as you requested
9.gif
It's scrumptious!
35.gif

I agree with Kaleigh; it is good to hear both sides, but now I am ready for a slice of this lovely pie! Ready for your piece Kaleigh, Ebree, Thing 2of2 and Decodelighted!!!! I know I AM
35.gif

I am passing around forks too!

Lemonpiephoto.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2007 12:13:25 AM
Author: Skippy123
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Just as you requested
9.gif
It''s scrumptious!
35.gif

I agree with Kaleigh; it is good to hear both sides, but now I am ready for a slice of this lovely pie! Ready for your piece Kaleigh, Ebree, Thing 2of2 and Decodelighted!!!! I know I AM
35.gif

I am passing around forks too!

That pie looks divine, Skippy! I''ll take two pieces. (What can I say? It''s been a long day.)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
imag46713597es.jpg
imag46713597es.jpg

Two slices just for you coming right up. heeheee
2.gif
Aren't they yummy. I had 2 myself.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
A nice piece of pie, please
2.gif
Just in time
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Count me "in" for a big ol'' slice. I''m stuck here trying to lemon-up my Fage.
25.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2007 12:44:02 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 4/14/2007 12:32:12 AM
Author: Skippy123

imag46713597es.jpg
imag46713597es.jpg

Two slices just for you coming right up. heeheee
2.gif
Aren''t they yummy. I had 2 myself.
Personally.. I like rhubarb..
9.gif
11.gif
Haha, all pie is good, right?? Thanks for my slice Skippy, it was DELISH!!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results