shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored gem beauties (lab-created)

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Ordered a lab spinel and it's finished! Waiting for it to arrive. Not sure it's quite as neon as I hoped, but still beautiful!!

Screenshot_20181013-204218_Etsy.jpg

That's gorgeous!! I had actually just placed an order with him last week! Glad to see I can expect it to look lovely!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade those spinels are amazing, and your pendant is lovely!!! Do you mind sharing the vendor?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
@lovedogs are you planning on having your stone set soon? If you are can you let me know if it's a complicated set? And any tips your jeweller has for completing the work? The couple jewellers I asked about it think it's going to be a complicated set. But since yours is similar to mine I figured it would be good to see what yours thinks about it. Or opposite if I happen to set mine first :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs are you planning on having your stone set soon? If you are can you let me know if it's a complicated set? And any tips your jeweller has for completing the work? The couple jewellers I asked about it think it's going to be a complicated set. But since yours is similar to mine I figured it would be good to see what yours thinks about it. Or opposite if I happen to set mine first :)

Sorry, what do you mean by complicated set?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, what do you mean by complicated set?
Specifically told it (the stone) might be a bit complicated to set. Mostly about the evening of the prongs. (My personal guess was because it's not a typical round shape it might make it harder to sit in there.)

When I questioned our cutter before ordering a week and a half ago I was told it should be fine as long as I got it set in either a bezel or a four prong setting. So I had previously thought nothing about it. Figured it would be easy peasy in a temp 4 prong setting. But now I'm just hoping it is easily set and just appears more complicated than it is. Just why I was wondering if you would be setting sooner rather than later or if you planned to hold out for awhile. I will be holding out for awhile but I figured one of us would set eventually and if the setters had any ideas for aligning it better it could be shared.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Specifically told it (the stone) might be a bit complicated to set. Mostly about the evening of the prongs. (My personal guess was because it's not a typical round shape it might make it harder to sit in there.)

When I questioned our cutter before ordering a week and a half ago I was told it should be fine as long as I got it set in either a bezel or a four prong setting. So I had previously thought nothing about it. Figured it would be easy peasy in a temp 4 prong setting. But now I'm just hoping it is easily set and just appears more complicated than it is. Just why I was wondering if you would be setting sooner rather than later or if you planned to hold out for awhile. I will be holding out for awhile but I figured one of us would set eventually and if the setters had any ideas for aligning it better it could be shared.
Why, because of the sides? I have a ring and a pendant, both I believe with 10 sides, set in 4 prong settings and it was no problem at all. Pendant was a WF custom but ring was a stock setting. Let me see if I can dig up their photos.

IMG_5665.JPG IMG_5668.JPG newring02.jpg

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Why, because of the sides? I have a ring and a pendant, both I believe with 10 sides, set in 4 prong settings and it was no problem at all. Pendant was a WF custom but ring was a stock setting. Let me see if I can dig up their photos.

IMG_5665.JPG IMG_5668.JPG newring02.jpg
That's so good to hear/see! Thank you. Definitely makes me feel better about pronging the sucker. As long as the colour came out as pretty as it looked in his picture to me I was going to be happy with it anyway and just bezel it if I had to like the cutter had also suggested. One way or another this thing is getting set. Just a matter of how much and when :) I'm so curious to see mine in person.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I got my lab spinel over the weekend and am THRILLED!!!

20181022_090601.jpg 20181022_090609.jpg 20181022_090606.jpg 20181022_090627.jpg

Quick pics in my bathroom. It almost shifts from a lighter to a darker blue depending on light. It's so pretty!!!
This cobalt spinel is GORGEOUS! I can't decide whether I'd like to see this one set first or your red spinel set first. Have you decided, or need more time to decide which to set first?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This cobalt spinel is GORGEOUS! I can't decide whether I'd like to see this one set first or your red spinel set first. Have you decided, or need more time to decide which to set first?

I actually already have the setting for this one. I'm going to replace the current aussie sapphire in my 5-stone sapphire ring, because the aussie was too dark for me IRL and I've been wanting to replace it with something more vibrant for a long time. Now the only question is whether to replace all 5 stones or just the middle one :)

Here's the ring that it will be going into (can't find any better pics for some reason!) 20160829_150859.jpg

20151029_150528.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
I actually already have the setting for this one. I'm going to replace the current aussie sapphire in my 5-stone sapphire ring, because the aussie was too dark for me IRL and I've been wanting to replace it with something more vibrant for a long time. Now the only question is whether to replace all 5 stones or just the middle one :)

Here's the ring that it will be going into (can't find any better pics for some reason!) 20160829_150859.jpg

20151029_150528.jpg
That's a good idea! What are the sizes on the side gems, and are you wanting to do all blue again, if you decide to change them?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
I have a project in the works for a sort of mother's ring and my stones are finished! My daughters' birthdays are May and June, which is somewhat difficult birthstone - wise, being emerald and pearl/alexandrite. Not cheap, or particularly well suited to everyday wear, so I decided to go with lab created.

So the plan is for a 3 stone ring, with a 7mm alexandrite cushion and two 4.5mm emerald trillions. They were cut by Brian Wiebe from Stag and Finch and I think they look amazing! I would have to re-mortgage the house to get equivalent in natural stones! As always, the green doesn't really work for the alexandrite in photos :wall: Can't wait to get these stones in my hand! DSC_0944_00001.jpg 1540930891084_DSC_0681_00001.jpg DSC_0928_00001.jpg DSC_0935_00001.jpg DSC_0934_00001.jpg DSC_0946_00001.jpg

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I have a project in the works for a sort of mother's ring and my stones are finished! My daughters' birthdays are May and June, which is somewhat difficult birthstone - wise, being emerald and pearl/alexandrite. Not cheap, or particularly well suited to everyday wear, so I decided to go with lab created.

So the plan is for a 3 stone ring, with a 7mm alexandrite cushion and two 4.5mm emerald trillions. They were cut by Brian Wiebe from Stag and Finch and I think they look amazing! I would have to re-mortgage the house to get equivalent in natural stones! As always, the green doesn't really work for the alexandrite in photos :wall: Can't wait to get these stones in my hand! DSC_0944_00001.jpg 1540930891084_DSC_0681_00001.jpg DSC_0928_00001.jpg DSC_0935_00001.jpg DSC_0934_00001.jpg DSC_0946_00001.jpg
Wow gorgeous!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Well I guess I will add mine. I found a cheap temporary setting for my spinel at my local jewellers. Sorry my pictures are terrible. But I like the blue they show. The facets are so much nicer in real life than my picture shows.
20181031_145736-01.jpeg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That’s going to make such a beautiful Mother’s ring. I love the color pairing. :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So even though I'm very happy w the lab spinel I got, it's still not *exactly* the right color. After looking via google search, I found this example (cut by Peter toracca for a PSer a few years ago).

PT_blue_spinel_1.jpg PT_blue_spinel_rough.jpg

Since that's exactly the color I want, I asked RUSgems what cobalt spinel rough they had, since their cutting seems pretty poor and I'd rather have someone precision cut. They got back to me with this, which I LOVE!

photo_2018-11-06_11-29-56.jpg

So I might end up buying this massive 76ct rough and getting someone to cut it for me.

I also am obsessed with paraiba tourmaline, but sadly will never be able to afford the color I really want. Turns out RUS also has paraiba colored lab Beryl. So I'll probably order a few rounds and see how it looks in person!

Screenshot_20181106-082542_Etsy.jpg Screenshot_20181106-082553_Etsy.jpg Screenshot_20181106-082556_Etsy.jpg

Attachments

• icm_75x75.178392145_ew8i5v15nio8ggks8ks8.jpg
    icm_75x75.178392145_ew8i5v15nio8ggks8ks8.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 26
  • icm_75x75.178392153_ray2svczn40wc884go4k.jpg
    icm_75x75.178392153_ray2svczn40wc884go4k.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 28

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
So even though I'm very happy w the lab spinel I got, it's still not *exactly* the right color. After looking via google search, I found this example (cut by Peter toracca for a PSer a few years ago).

Since that's exactly the color I want, I asked RUSgems what cobalt spinel rough they had, since their cutting seems pretty poor and I'd rather have someone precision cut. They got back to me with this, which I LOVE!

So I might end up buying this massive 76ct rough and getting someone to cut it for me.

I also am obsessed with paraiba tourmaline, but sadly will never be able to afford the color I really want. Turns out RUS also has paraiba colored lab Beryl. So I'll probably order a few rounds and see how it looks in person!

Screenshot_20181106-082542_Etsy.jpg Screenshot_20181106-082553_Etsy.jpg Screenshot_20181106-082556_Etsy.jpg

Ooh pretty!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock

I adore paraiba tourmalines!!! Those stones are gorgeous and I can’t wait to see what they look like IRL! The prices are awesome too.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore paraiba tourmalines!!! Those stones are gorgeous and I can’t wait to see what they look like IRL! The prices are awesome too.

Agreed! They certainly won't have the paraiba "glow" I want, but hopefully the color is as bright IRL as in pics. I'm asking about return policies bc I don't want to throw money away if they are duds.

I

Irving

I don’t know many places offhand so hopefull other people will chime in with more suggestions.

Better than diamond has some lab sapphires.
Lemon yellow:
https://betterthandiamond.com/categories/-Avarra-Lab-Grown-Sapphire/Yellow-%2d-Lemon-Yellow-Color/

Golden yellow:
https://betterthandiamond.com/categories/-Avarra-Lab-Grown-Sapphire/Yellow-%2d-Golden-Yellow-Color/

Looks like Chatham doesn’t sell online now (unless I’m missing something) but can be purchased online through retailers.
Chatham’s site: https://www.chatham.com/pages/yellow-sapphire-gems

A retailer I found just scrolling the web (so I can’t vouch for them): http://www.jewelryimpressions.com/loose-chatham-created-yellow-sapphire-stones.html

You can buy Chatham from AfricaGems :)

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs - oh that spinel!!

I believe they also have paraiba colored YAG, which might be a little more sparkly than the beryl. Not sure if they have any cut though.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs - oh that spinel!!

I believe they also have paraiba colored YAG, which might be a little more sparkly than the beryl. Not sure if they have any cut though.

ugh, I KNOW! I'm probably just going to list the one I bought and wait to have one cut from this rough instead. I'll have to save $ since I'll have to buy the entire stupid piece of rough rather than just 1 stone, but hopefully that way I'll get the exact color I want.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'll have to save $ since I'll have to buy the entire stupid piece of rough rather than just 1 stone, but hopefully that way I'll get the exact color I want.
I’m half tempted to see if you’d want to split it, as a nice piece of lab blue spinel rough is on my bucket list. But I’m afraid it might be priced like that tiny piece we looked at a while back!

Worst case theres facebook groups for ppl faceting lab material where individuals sometimes resell spare rough. Given that color I suspect you could find a new home for leftover rough.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m half tempted to see if you’d want to split it, as a nice piece of lab blue spinel rough is on my bucket list. But I’m afraid it might be priced like that tiny piece we looked at a while back!

Worst case theres facebook groups for ppl faceting lab material where individuals sometimes resell spare rough. Given that color I suspect you could find a new home for leftover rough.

It's actually not priced badly...I believe the 2.5ct rough they were selling was $25--is that right? If so it's much less than that! Just more than I want to spend on lab rough right now, especially since I've bought a lot lately!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's actually not priced badly...I believe the 2.5ct rough they were selling was $25--is that right? If so it's much less than that! Just more than I want to spend on lab rough right now, especially since I've bought a lot lately!
Yeah, I think that 2.5 ct piece was like $9/ct!! If its reasonably priced maybe we should have a chat :)

I know the feeling - I’m accumulating faceting equiptment lately. So many purchases!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can't believe I'm over here! So... Gene is cutting a lab emerald for me. It's the only way I can get one you can see with the naked eye. :lol:

I'm interested in a good size lab ruby or sapphire (8mm+). Would you recommend Better Than a Diamond or Stag and Finch? Or are they the same-ish?

Thanks!!!!!

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
I can't believe I'm over here! So... Gene is cutting a lab emerald for me. It's the only way I can get one you can see with the naked eye. :lol:

I'm interested in a good size lab ruby or sapphire (8mm+). Would you recommend Better Than a Diamond or Stag and Finch? Or are they the same-ish?

Thanks!!!!!

I can't recommend one over the other because I've only worked with stag and finch, but he was great to work with. His cuts are beautiful and he was happy to answer all my questions. He will accept returns if you're not completely satisfied too.

He's got a lot of examples on his website and the lab rubies look amazing!

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
0B7CD1B5-667B-4CA2-86EB-4FCFF6B2BC9E.jpeg 1CDCE6AA-1798-48C5-AC06-396B644BDCDE.jpeg 26E873A2-5F72-48E9-8E45-5D89340CB2D6.jpeg 7C2E6CA4-1069-4BF1-AA82-116E9FE1D44A.jpeg 0BB02987-0A2D-4711-A3F6-B29AA354C292.jpeg 1B765887-616E-4E9B-BD12-C5E2BCE26618.jpeg

This is my second lab created gem. It’s a purple sapphire from Precision Gem. 8mm, 3.98ct. It’s kind of color shifty. Some light is bright pink, almost magenta but I couldn’t seem to capture that in a photo. Other light it’s a lovely purple. It is a great size, very clear, and has a lot of sparkle!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results