shape
carat
color
clarity

Color regrets...maybe...

more-Sparkle

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
after reading about the warmth in stones and color sensitivity people have on color grades, it's left me wondering if I should've gone up in color. I myself can see warmth in my stone and it doesn't bother me too much, but I don't know if its just because I don't know any better
Here is my dilemma: I lucked out big time on being one of the people scammed out of thousands of dollars by Enchanted Diamonds. Just when things were about to hit the fan, I was one of the lucky ones that actually received the stone.
With that being said, no "lifetime upgrade" policy now exists.
I bought a 1.5 carat, color I VVSI oval diamond.
I love the stone, but again, now I'm debating getting a better color with less clarity.
any thoughts? pros and cons of a stone with more or less color?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,
after reading about the warmth in stones and color sensitivity people have on color grades, it's left me wondering if I should've gone up in color. I myself can see warmth in my stone and it doesn't bother me too much, but I don't know if its just because I don't know any better
Here is my dilemma: I lucked out big time on being one of the people scammed out of thousands of dollars by Enchanted Diamonds. Just when things were about to hit the fan, I was one of the lucky ones that actually received the stone.
I love the stone, but again, now I'm debating getting a better color with less clarity.

Congrats on receiving your stone. Color (and clarity) preference is such a personal choice and no one can tell you what would work best for you. I like lower colors in an old cut but do not like them in modern cuts and it does depend on the specific stone so no one rule applies to all. Having said that I had a gorgeous LVS1 OEC that I adored but after a few years I realized the color/tint wasn't my favorite so I found another gorgeous OEC (2 gorgeous OECs I lucked out for sure) that was a GIA J and that is my sweet spot at least for my OEC.

As you can see it is a matter of personal preference and there is no right or wrong. And it can take time to realize just what your specific preferences are because at first I LOVED my original OEC but after time I came to understand that no that I preferred a slightly higher color. Having said that old cuts in whiter grades don't do it for me either. I need some warmth. So it might take time to come to know what your top choice is.

My advice is wear and enjoy your diamond and see how you feel about it after some time has passed. Is your oval a GIA I? That is a nice color grade to start with as it is not too tinted so live with it and see how you feel after you get to know it. Especially because you cannot upgrade or return it at the moment anyway. Good luck and enjoy getting to know your stone. And as you write "I love the stone" so you are starting in a good place.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I am so sorry you have had to go through all you did... and now are going through all the questioning.
I am very color sensitive. I wasn’t many years ago. My priority was to go big, big, big. I received a D color at my proposal in a 1.01 Marquise. I then upgraded to a round 1.51 H. I then upgraded to a 3.29 round I. I had that stone for many years and as the years went on the color became unattractive to me (the overall quality of the stone wasn’t great, so other issues), and the color began to bother me to the point I could not stand it.
I decided that I wanted to trade it for something as colorless as I could. I now was at a place in my life where I wasn’t concerned with that large 3.29 that was all about size and size alone. I wanted something rare.
So I upgraded in color (and overall quality/make) and went down significantly in size to a 2.01 round E. Yes, I know 2.01 still is a very nice size (although mine is a little smaller than a normal 2.01 because it is slightly deep due to a 4% girdle)... anyhow, going from a very spready 3.29 down to a slightly smaller-for-its weight 2.01 is a huge change.
BUT I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE COLOR. I cannot lie. But I was in a situation where I had some “equity” because I was going down so much in size and I had owned my diamond for a long time. I have a long-time relationship with my local jeweler of which I am certain I am one of his best, if not the best, customer based on dollars spent. So we came up with a trade we felt was equitable for both of us.
Because you now are in the predicament with no upgrade policy due to the fraudulent practice of the vendor, your trade-in value will be significantly less than what you paid. It’s like once you drive the car off the lot, you just lost all the depreciation (or however that works).
Perhaps some of the preferred vendors here on PS would extend to you special consideration on a trade up for a better color because of how you were victimized. It doesn’t hurt to approach some of them and ask. But even if they will offer a concession in the spirit of goodwill, compassion, and good P.R., I am certain you will have to add funds toward going higher in color. However, if you go lower in clarity, you may do okay with regard to cost.
I think the VVS1 was completely unnecessary as you aren’t seeing what you paid for. A higher color would be apparent. I honestly feel the pairing of VVS with I color is totally incongruent.
So I will say in complete honesty the color makes a huge difference. I don’t know if you will get to E (depending on how it shakes out and how much you’d be willing to go out of pocket if need be), but you can certainly see “improvement” in this element that bothers you if you went to G. Even, quite honestly, H as I feel there is a definitive, marked difference of H to I. I color is where I think you start seeing the warmth. If you can go to G, even better. If you can go colorless it will blow your mind.
With that said, going to H or G may be enough for you as some people feel colorless (especially D and E, which are indistinguishable to most) are too sterile. There is a slight different detectable when you go from E to F so F is a good option for someone that is color sensitive yet doesn’t want “sterile”. Also, pricing is a bit more forgiving for F than for E (and so on... the jump from D to E is quite significant!).
If you can make the move to anything above I it seems to me, from what you have said, that you will be much happier. As I’ve said to others, if it’s bothering you now, it’s only going to get worse, in my estimation.
But do compare your I to an H if that’s what you choose to do... if it’s a low H and a high I, it may not be worth making the swap (although I think it will). I recently saw I and J colors listed as “almost near colorless” which obviously isn’t how GIA classifies it, but I thought this description was more apropos to how I see it. I and J, to me, are in their own grouping between G & H Near-Colorless group, and the K L M Faint group.
As for my E, it is as if it is lit from within, as if someone turned on a light switch inside my diamond. This is an element separate from, and above and beyond, a diamond’s brightness IMO. For me, it is an added contribution toward the stone’s performance, just as cut is, but that’s me.
Also, I love the side view where there is no tint... it never gets old.
What I would suggest, if you do a swap, is try to work with Whiteflash because of their generous upgrade policy... this way, if you can’t go as high as you’d like in color now, you could do it down the road. While I have not had the opportunity to be a Whiteflash customer, I have been impressed at their business practices I’ve seen described here over and over again.
Please post photos here of your diamond!
Hope this has helped and not caused more angst, but I want to be honest based on my personal experiences.

Pimberly

Rough_Rock
You say you love the stone, but it seems like you’re worried that maybe you shouldn’t love it? If you love it, enjoy it and don’t worry about what other people prefer. There aren’t “pros” and “cons” because color is just a personal preference. You can always change it someday in the future if you stop loving it.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

If you love the stone and the I color doesn’t bother you in any way why not simply enjoy it for as long as you’re in love with it. If you notice that you’re starting to feel differently about the color down the line then consider upgrading. Many people have and love I color diamonds. Not saying this is the case, but certainly don’t feel pressured to upgrade, because of how some feel about certain colors. It’s all about you! ☺️

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
My J ACA is soo spectacular that the "J" does not bother me in the slightest. I love high colour but am realizing that to me, size matters, and in order to procure larger stones, I must come down in colour. My 2ctw rb studs are G, but not as well cut as my ACA. Unless side by side with my engagement ring, I can't see any difference. If your oval is well cut, enjoy it. Love it for the unique stone that it is, and in time, if you must, trade or replace.
The colour thing is so personal, but I am training myself to be thrilled with lower, in order to have MORE:D

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@more-Sparkle congrats on getting your stone from ED! Indeed, so lucky that you weren’t one of the victims that never received their high-value purchases.

You just got the stone, my advice would be to wear it for a while before you decide to cell/trade it. You will likely never be able to get back the full retail value, why lose money so quickly after purchase?

That said, colour preference are real, but you have barely had the stone in your possession. Spend some time to see what you like and don’t like about it. A good setting can also make a difference.

Can we please see any pictures?

more-Sparkle

Rough_Rock
Congrats on receiving your stone. Color (and clarity) preference is such a personal choice and no one can tell you what would work best for you. I like lower colors in an old cut but do not like them in modern cuts and it does depend on the specific stone so no one rule applies to all. Having said that I had a gorgeous LVS1 OEC that I adored but after a few years I realized the color/tint wasn't my favorite so I found another gorgeous OEC (2 gorgeous OECs I lucked out for sure) that was a GIA J and that is my sweet spot at least for my OEC.

As you can see it is a matter of personal preference and there is no right or wrong. And it can take time to realize just what your specific preferences are because at first I LOVED my original OEC but after time I came to understand that no that I preferred a slightly higher color. Having said that old cuts in whiter grades don't do it for me either. I need some warmth. So it might take time to come to know what your top choice is.

My advice is wear and enjoy your diamond and see how you feel about it after some time has passed. Is your oval a GIA I? That is a nice color grade to start with as it is not too tinted so live with it and see how you feel after you get to know it. Especially because you cannot upgrade or return it at the moment anyway. Good luck and enjoy getting to know your stone. And as you write "I love the stone" so you are starting in a good place.

Thank you for that. Yes, it is a GIA, I color.
I guess I’m wondering what the general consensus is with regard to color. I know with ovals, color shows more than let’s say rounds. The color is the only negative thing I see when I look at my engagement ring.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Yes, ovals do show more color. While you said you “love it”, that was followed by a “but”.
Perhaps you should take a look at options for the sake of seeing if you’d be happier with a higher color YET there may be optical characteristics of another stone that aren’t as appealing as the one you have... and you may, in fact, actually ultimately prefer the one you have, which, if I’m understanding the other posters here, keep an open mind to the entire diamond as a whole. There is, IMO, a tendency here on PS to get caught up on specific elements and If a stone is off a fraction of a percent off perfection rather than view the entire compilation of the diamond as a total package. Ultimately, I still think you are not satisfied with the color, but I think the suggestions provided here by many is to give yourself time to do your homework and think it through. As stated, there is no rush to do something within a return period as you don’t have one given the vendor issue.
I guess the overall point is you of course can make the change any day of the week you choose, you don’t have to feel regret or feel you are stuck with something you don’t like... you can take your time and make it a little project of sorts... you may ultimately see the virtues in your diamond beyond what is sticking out to you now or putting doubt in your head and you may end up making peace with it. I will say that to me ovals have a romance about them and I think a warmer stone fits with that... as much as I am in love with my E, I wouldn’t characterize it as having a romantic element to it!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I’m wondering what the general consensus is with regard to color. I know with ovals, color shows more than let’s say rounds. The color is the only negative thing I see when I look at my engagement ring.
It's important to note that there isn't a general consensus on color because it's such a personal preference. Some members of the forum need D-F colors and are bothered by anything lower in color because they see a tint *and* are bothered by it. Other people see the tint in G+ but are not bothered by it. Personally, I don't see a tint in anything H or above (and even lower if it's an ideal cut round), and when I do see color I am not bothered by it at all. Ovals show more color vs rounds, but the question is whether it bothers you. There are tons of people who are not bothered at all by I color, so I think you might want to compare it to higher colored stones (GIA or AGS graded so you know what you are actually seeing), and see what you think. IRL you might not be able to tell the difference or just honestly not care.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not read all the replies so ignore if this has already been mentioned...due to the nature of the way most ovals are cut they tend to show "mush" in
some areas. The area outlined in red below is showing a more "mushy" area. "Mush" does not return light to the eye (it lets the light slip through
or sends it off somewhere else where it cant be seen from the top of the stone). It ends up that these mushy areas sort of absorb light and show
all the color that is in the stone while the nice facets (outlined in blue below) are returning light to your eye and sort of masking color.
The contrast of the two areas can be extreme in lower colored stones. Is that what you are seeing or is it the overall color of the stone?
Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    132.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    134.3 KB · Views: 57

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

There is no general consensus on what color a person should like. That is entirely personal.

Another thing to remember is that the VAST majority of people you know probably have stones graded by off-brand or in-house labs where Js and Ks are graded as Hs and Is are graded as Gs or even higher. So if you go by the standards of the "average person" buying their ring at a big mall chain, your stone is still very white.

If you like the color, I wouldn't worry about whether the grade is "good enough." But if you don't like it, you can look into changing your ring. Personally I quite like the I/J color range. Like people above have said, colorless diamonds feel "cold" to me and I just am not into the look of them for myself, except as sidestones for colored stones. But YMMV. You can always try to go to some different jewelry stores and look at higher-color diamonds and see what you like.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not read all the replies so ignore if this has already been mentioned...due to the nature of the way most ovals are cut they tend to show "mush" in
some areas. The area outlined in red below is showing a more "mushy" area. "Mush" does not return light to the eye (it lets the light slip through
or sends it off somewhere else where it cant be seen from the top of the stone). It ends up that these mushy areas sort of absorb light and show
all the color that is in the stone while the nice facets (outlined in blue below) are returning light to your eye and sort of masking color.
The contrast of the two areas can be extreme in lower colored stones. Is that what you are seeing or is it the overall color of the stone?
Capture.PNG

I agree with this. I have a pear and an OEC, and the pear (which is more similar in cut to an oval) looks a lot darker even though it is several color grades higher just because of the way the light return is. The OEC returns a lot more white light, so it is brighter in almost all circumstances, but that is a feature of the cut, not the color.

more-Sparkle

Rough_Rock
Thank you everybody that replied. After reading a few of your stories and input, I guess I should figure out what MY preference is, since I really don’t have any idea. And, it sounds as though it will change over time as well.

There are times I look at my e-ring and absolutely love it, where it looks pretty white to me or times I think the warmth looks good with the yellow gold. Other times, with different lighting, when I see the yellow, I think meh.. that’s where my hang up is..

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think a GIA I is incredibly white, so I would rock it proudly! I think most people would h unable to tell the difference, it’s more of a mind game. I had a J, and I have a D. The J looked just as white to me, maybe next to each other I would have seen but as fair as daily wear, an I is perfect.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everybody that replied. After reading a few of your stories and input, I guess I should figure out what MY preference is, since I really don’t have any idea. And, it sounds as though it will change over time as well.

There are times I look at my e-ring and absolutely love it, where it looks pretty white to me or times I think the warmth looks good with the yellow gold. Other times, with different lighting, when I see the yellow, I think meh.. that’s where my hang up is..
That sounds like how I was with my I. It was fine, and I loved it while I had it, but I'm really glad I'll be upgrading to a G soon. I think it would be good for you to go look at some diamonds in person to try to figure out where your sweet spot it.

more-Sparkle

Rough_Rock
Hi! I am so sorry you have had to go through all you did... and now are going through all the questioning.
I am very color sensitive. I wasn’t many years ago. My priority was to go big, big, big. I received a D color at my proposal in a 1.01 Marquise. I then upgraded to a round 1.51 H. I then upgraded to a 3.29 round I. I had that stone for many years and as the years went on the color became unattractive to me (the overall quality of the stone wasn’t great, so other issues), and the color began to bother me to the point I could not stand it.
I decided that I wanted to trade it for something as colorless as I could. I now was at a place in my life where I wasn’t concerned with that large 3.29 that was all about size and size alone. I wanted something rare.
So I upgraded in color (and overall quality/make) and went down significantly in size to a 2.01 round E. Yes, I know 2.01 still is a very nice size (although mine is a little smaller than a normal 2.01 because it is slightly deep due to a 4% girdle)... anyhow, going from a very spready 3.29 down to a slightly smaller-for-its weight 2.01 is a huge change.
BUT I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE COLOR. I cannot lie. But I was in a situation where I had some “equity” because I was going down so much in size and I had owned my diamond for a long time. I have a long-time relationship with my local jeweler of which I am certain I am one of his best, if not the best, customer based on dollars spent. So we came up with a trade we felt was equitable for both of us.
Because you now are in the predicament with no upgrade policy due to the fraudulent practice of the vendor, your trade-in value will be significantly less than what you paid. It’s like once you drive the car off the lot, you just lost all the depreciation (or however that works).
Perhaps some of the preferred vendors here on PS would extend to you special consideration on a trade up for a better color because of how you were victimized. It doesn’t hurt to approach some of them and ask. But even if they will offer a concession in the spirit of goodwill, compassion, and good P.R., I am certain you will have to add funds toward going higher in color. However, if you go lower in clarity, you may do okay with regard to cost.
I think the VVS1 was completely unnecessary as you aren’t seeing what you paid for. A higher color would be apparent. I honestly feel the pairing of VVS with I color is totally incongruent.
So I will say in complete honesty the color makes a huge difference. I don’t know if you will get to E (depending on how it shakes out and how much you’d be willing to go out of pocket if need be), but you can certainly see “improvement” in this element that bothers you if you went to G. Even, quite honestly, H as I feel there is a definitive, marked difference of H to I. I color is where I think you start seeing the warmth. If you can go to G, even better. If you can go colorless it will blow your mind.
With that said, going to H or G may be enough for you as some people feel colorless (especially D and E, which are indistinguishable to most) are too sterile. There is a slight different detectable when you go from E to F so F is a good option for someone that is color sensitive yet doesn’t want “sterile”. Also, pricing is a bit more forgiving for F than for E (and so on... the jump from D to E is quite significant!).
If you can make the move to anything above I it seems to me, from what you have said, that you will be much happier. As I’ve said to others, if it’s bothering you now, it’s only going to get worse, in my estimation.
But do compare your I to an H if that’s what you choose to do... if it’s a low H and a high I, it may not be worth making the swap (although I think it will). I recently saw I and J colors listed as “almost near colorless” which obviously isn’t how GIA classifies it, but I thought this description was more apropos to how I see it. I and J, to me, are in their own grouping between G & H Near-Colorless group, and the K L M Faint group.
As for my E, it is as if it is lit from within, as if someone turned on a light switch inside my diamond. This is an element separate from, and above and beyond, a diamond’s brightness IMO. For me, it is an added contribution toward the stone’s performance, just as cut is, but that’s me.
Also, I love the side view where there is no tint... it never gets old.
What I would suggest, if you do a swap, is try to work with Whiteflash because of their generous upgrade policy... this way, if you can’t go as high as you’d like in color now, you could do it down the road. While I have not had the opportunity to be a Whiteflash customer, I have been impressed at their business practices I’ve seen described here over and over again.
Please post photos here of your diamond!
Hope this has helped and not caused more angst, but I want to be honest based on my personal experiences.

I completely agree with many of the things you said. I wondered if another online vendor would help me. Even if the stone, (better color, less clarity) is less than what I paid for the stone I have now, I would exchange it. I paid about $9k for the stone I have and if I found I color F/G, Si1/2 for $7500, I’d be ok doing a straight even type exchange. I agree with the VVSI not being important. I wasn’t looking for that clarity and hated that I paid for it $$. This I color seemed a bit more white than other I’s I have seen.

more-Sparkle

Rough_Rock
You say you love the stone, but it seems like you’re worried that maybe you shouldn’t love it? If you love it, enjoy it and don’t worry about what other people prefer. There aren’t “pros” and “cons” because color is just a personal preference. You can always change it someday in the future if you stop loving it.

You hit the nail on the head when you said that I’m “worried that maybe you shouldn’t love it”
I read how people are sensitive and would never go less then colorless. Although I know it’s other people’s opinions and preferences, makes me question mine.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You should love your stone in all lighting. and you've basically pinpointed the issue with your last sentence. Not knowing what your ring looks like, maybe the setting is the issue. Ovals are tricky. Ovals of ANY color (even colored stones) can be tricky.

But if you're having that type of dissatisfaction and you can afford the upgrade, then sure, do it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@more-Sparkle Can you post some up-close pictures of your ring/setting? I think that would be helpful. Is it in a halo or bezel setting?

I never say never but I think it will be difficult to find a vendor who will take your stone on trade for that price difference. I dont think any of the
big vendors will do it (BN, JA). The only vendor I can think that likes to deal with ovals is DiamondsbyLauren. It doesnt look like they have anything
in stock that would meet your needs right now but that doesnt mean he cant get something. I would check with him to see what he thinks.

You are wanting to stay with an oval correct?

Edit...another vendor you can try is Jonathan (Rhino) from August Vintage inc. See what he has to
say.

Diamonds by Lauren
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/categories/loose-diamonds
Jonathan
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...cts/1-092ct-f-si1-august-vintage-oval-1739181

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If it is only with different lighting, you may just be seeing yellowness that is caused by the lighting or environment, and going up in color will not help with that. There was a thread recently where someone was worried their diamond looked yellow in some lighting but it was obvious to me that it was environmental. Other people posted pictures of their D, G, and H diamonds looking similarly yellow.

No stone will look the same in all lighting. I do think it's fair that you like it in all lighting, but it is unreasonable to expect it to look the same in all lighting.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one beautiful oval :love:

OP, please don’t have doubts about your ring, it is really gorgeous. If you want to play up the whiteness, you might want to consider resetting your ring into a white metal or at least changing the head or rhodium dipping the prongs. Nonetheless, I think that your ring is beautiful and the oval is really stunning!

more-Sparkle

Rough_Rock
That is one beautiful oval :love:

OP, please don’t have doubts about your ring, it is really gorgeous. If you want to play up the whiteness, you might want to consider resetting your ring into a white metal or at least changing the head or rhodium dipping the prongs. Nonetheless, I think that your ring is beautiful and the oval is really stunning!

Thank you so much! As you can see, especially in the second picture, there is a warmness to it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE this stone and setting! Great choice--don't doubt yourself. Live with it for a while before making a decision. If you definitely know it bugs you then get a higher color, but it's a wonderful oval.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results