shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all Color Intollerant PSers

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For all you color intolerant PSers- at what color do you start to notice tint? I had a .9ct GIA H that I could make out a bit of tint in from the right angle, and am wondering if a G is my sweet spot.

Disclosure: This post is mostly out of curiosity as I know I will need to view the stone with my own eyes. I don't get to see the stone in question until Thursday, so this post is a way to help pass the time :)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
G, really, though it doesn’t “bother” me at G. I color for sure, but I can shut my brain off with an I because it’s still beautiful.

Oh, and I also discovered, this is only for rings.

I can do J/K for things I can’t see. Lol

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For CBI, I have decided G is the lowest I can do because theirs face up whiter, though I would try and H si if the size was available and I wanted it.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
G, really, though it doesn’t “bother” me at G. I color for sure, but I can shut my brain off with an I because it’s still beautiful.

Oh, and I also discovered, this is only for rings.

I can do J/K for things I can’t see. Lol
I'm having them bring in a E to compare the G to. I'm curious to see if I prefer the G to an icy white stone. Doubt it though, my wallet isn't that lucky lol.

I can do lower colors (K and above) in OECs, or at least my M OEC pendent doesn't bother me. But that may have something to do with not being able to see it too. Who knows lol.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a CBI G and it’s perfectly ok and white. The two cbis with my sapphire are F and G and I can’t tell the difference between them.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a CBI G and it’s perfectly ok and white. The two cbis with my sapphire are F and G and I can’t tell the difference between them.
Good to know! Thank you!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OECs seem to work well in lower colors IMO
They do! I had a colorless OEC in an unmentionable and it just didn't do it for me. Don't know if it was because it wasn't a diamond, or because it was so icy white and in my head OECs aren't supposed to be colorless.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Libby is a g color diamond that is closer to a f..The diamond in my avatar is an H...Most of the time she faces up very icy white but in certain lighting and if I tilt her I can see the warmth. She shoots off colored sparkles like an OEC...and it’s just so beautiful. G is the lowest I will go from now on...I do have an I color Tiffany solitaire pendant that faces up very white that I can’t detect color in...I do prefer the icy white diamonds though..

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
G is my sweet spot. Especially in larger stones.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I am curious to hear what you think of the E and G after you see them!
ME, TOO! I am really eager to hear your impressions.
That is what I debated between for my current stone... an E or a G (both GIA graded). For me, there was definitive difference.
So from that experience I know that F would have to be my minimum, yet I cannot say for sure as I don't have an F: My only basis for comparison is the E in my avatar (which doesn't look very white in this photo lol, I really should change my avatar!), and then I have very large RB studs in G (thank you, Grandma!), and an EC in G (pendant). I hated my very large RB ring in I color (hence the downsize trade in). I do also have a small pair of OEC studs that I believe are J/K... yes, they bother me as well, but I guess I am more "tolerant" of them lol because they are OECs... so I agree with what has been said about OECs just being different in their consideration.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well... I am "color tolerant," but I would describe it as actively liking the near-colorless range rather than just "tolerating" it. I can see color, I just don't like most colorless stones. Maybe it's because I'm a colored gem person at heart. I can definitely see that H is not colorless even faceup from normal viewing distance. DEF stones look cold and unfriendly to me... I just don't like them. If I see a diamond and have an instant "nope" reaction to the color, when I inquire about the color it is always DEF, lol. A relative got a colorless radiant recently and it has a beautiful cut and I always thought I'd like colorless radiants but it's just... not my taste. A gorgeous stone but I'd still prefer a bit of warmth. Still, I suspect I'd like DEF step cuts but haven't ever managed to see any!

Unfortunately all the stones I see regularly and know the grades are GIA or AGS graded are DEF or HIJ... the only things that might be Gs are the sidestones in my engagement ring but they are uncerted. I can't notice color in them though but they're a) half-moons, and b) smallish, so not a good comparison to a round brilliant of decent size anyway.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see color at H if it’s a round brilliant. In OEC diamonds I see color at I. I’ve realized I is the lowest I can go with round brilliants. If money were no option I would get H or higher.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm colour intolerant.

I have a 0.8ct E (it's actually a CBI) that I've never set... I actually actively dislike it. It's just too darn white!! My eyes read "colourless" as "uninviting". #FirstWorldProblems :roll2:

When I was at the CBI GTG earlier this year I mentioned that I already had a CBI, and @Wink observed that I could easily upgrade (to the 5ct whose company I was very much enjoying)... Then I told him the size, and @John Pollard observed that it would be the largest upgrade they'd ever done - and that it might cover about half the tax :mrgreen2:

Other than that stone I've got/had RBs ranging from G through L. My (strongly) preferred range is I/J/K for larger stones and J/K/L for sub-caraters. My name starts with J so that's a convenient excuse to be nitpicky about colour ::)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Well... I am "color tolerant," but I would describe it as actively liking the near-colorless range rather than just "tolerating" it. I can see color, I just don't like most colorless stones. Maybe it's because I'm a colored gem person at heart. I can definitely see that H is not colorless even faceup from normal viewing distance. DEF stones look cold and unfriendly to me... I just don't like them. If I see a diamond and have an instant "nope" reaction to the color, when I inquire about the color it is always DEF, lol. A relative got a colorless radiant recently and it has a beautiful cut and I always thought I'd like colorless radiants but it's just... not my taste. A gorgeous stone but I'd still prefer a bit of warmth. Still, I suspect I'd like DEF step cuts but haven't ever managed to see any!

Unfortunately all the stones I see regularly and know the grades are GIA or AGS graded are DEF or HIJ... the only things that might be Gs are the sidestones in my engagement ring but they are uncerted. I can't notice color in them though but they're a) half-moons, and b) smallish, so not a good comparison to a round brilliant of decent size anyway.
That's interesting that you mention your non-preference for colorless and that you are a colored gem person at heart... I am drawn to colorless and I am not a colored gem person lol! I do know what you mean when you say there is the "cold" look. That used to bother me (when I had my I) but as that I began to bother me more and more, the "cold" of colorless seemed to subside.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the G-H camp but if I have a lot of :$$): then I'll move up to E-F.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Depends on the cut and size of the stone. Generally speaking G is my limit unless it's studs.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Can see tint at G sometimes but doesn’t bug me a lot. Totally fine with F. Can see tint all the time with H. So would say G is my limit but would really prefer F.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep reading the title of this thread as “Calling All Intolerant PSers!” :lol:

To answer the question, I start seeing tint at H, and can tolerate it up to K.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I keep reading the title of this thread as “Calling All Intolerant PSers!” :lol:

:lol::lol-2::mrgreen2:

Reactions: AV_

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Depends on the cut and size of the stone. Generally speaking G is my limit unless it's studs.

What is your limit in studs? Does that change based on the color of the metal?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like all the colors from D - H. Then I like them from O downwards. Not fond of the ones in the middle - but only on *my* finger. Love them on others!

Having said that, tho, I have a pair of bezel set K colored earrings and they look fabulous. So - very white, or very warm. I think I struggle mostly with how to set the ones in the middle and what metal goes with them; sideways tint sends me nuts.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've been informed on numerous occasions that I'm a generally intolerant person, so I suppose I probably merit both titles :halo:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My personal preference is stick at least with G or higher. I don’t see a tint in G-H but they don’t look icy to me either.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results