shape
carat
color
clarity

Circular Brilliant - Can I get an assist, please?

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I came across a sweet piece and when I checked the GIA report, it listed it as a Circular Brilliant. I had never heard of this. But I am fascinated. Here is the GIA info (cert is from 2021) with a few pics. I have requested more pics and video. (I’m trying to keep it from being snagged before I can call to put it on hold which is why the pics are cropped and not the best.)

Thanks for the input!

0DDA003D-2E7E-4DBA-946B-3093B648D1B3.jpeg 8F52C4E2-DBD0-447A-9413-D3BC6A044D97.jpeg

Attachments

• D3136812-0E5F-4BB7-8579-41F26FAF8133.jpeg
    D3136812-0E5F-4BB7-8579-41F26FAF8133.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 2812CBC7-1E70-4B36-94E4-6409C66D4961.jpeg
    2812CBC7-1E70-4B36-94E4-6409C66D4961.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 76

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I didn’t really ask anything in my OP. *facepalm* I guess I’m curious as to how to tell if this could be one to see in person. I like the floral petals that I can see and the idea of faint fluorescence with an M seems good. I just don’t know enough about the circular brilliant/transitional to glean much off the report. Any input would be appreciated.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I held off commenting because I do not have the expertise BUT, I do love the faceting too and the size is awesome!! So my uneducated advice is to bring it in if there’s a solid return policy.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I held off commenting because I do not have the expertise BUT, I do love the faceting too and the size is awesome!! So my uneducated advice is to bring it in if there’s a solid return policy.

They have a 60-day return policy with a 100% money back guarantee for U.S. orders listed on their site.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’m not the expert but circular brilliant usually barely misses the OEC designation based on a small difference in angle etc. The plot looks amazingly clear. From the close-ups the pattern looks nice but of course you can’t tell until you see it move. If there’s a return policy and the price is right then I would be try it!

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I’m not the expert but circular brilliant usually barely misses the OEC designation based on a small difference in angle etc. The plot looks amazingly clear. From the close-ups the pattern looks nice but of course you can’t tell until you see it move. If there’s a return policy and the price is right then I would be try it!

The price is quite nice compared to all the other 3-3.25 L-M SI-VS rings I have been looking at. And this is set in platinum (my preference) while others I have on my “highly considering” list are in yellow gold. This one is several thousands less, and has the most pronounced floral pattern I’ve seen (from pictures).

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Admittedly I’m not crazy about the faceting on this one. The big table / corner height is going to make it look flatter than many antiques, and there’s a good deal of messy faceting and lots of leakage. Especially with OECs I’d prefer a much crisper, cleaner pattern and a clearer petal / snowflake pattern. The petals on this are going appear quite asymmetrical

However, that doesn’t mean it’s not YOUR stone. I’d get a video and see if you like the way it moves before buying. To me this forum is about giving honest advice so I hope my feedback isn’t hurtful!

For example, I just chose a stone I know doesn’t have that perfect edge to edge scintillation that a lot of PSers seek. But I preferred other trade offs.

01093BB3-97FA-4960-839B-F11A462C9E16.jpeg

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
Admittedly I’m not crazy about the faceting on this one. The big table / corner height is going to make it look flatter than many antiques, and there’s a good deal of messy faceting and lots of leakage. Especially with OECs I’d prefer a much crisper, cleaner pattern and a clearer petal / snowflake pattern. The petals on this are going appear quite asymmetrical

However, that doesn’t mean it’s not YOUR stone. I’d get a video and see if you like the way it moves before buying. To me this forum is about giving honest advice so I hope my feedback isn’t hurtful!

For example, I just chose a stone I know doesn’t have that perfect edge to edge scintillation that a lot of PSers seek. But I preferred other trade offs.

01093BB3-97FA-4960-839B-F11A462C9E16.jpeg

No expert, but just wondering if the table size and crown height make it seem like it would yield less fire.

This is exactly the feedback I want. I haven’t seen video and the pictures are nice but a little too far off. (I have asked for close-ups.)

The setting is just up my alley, as is the size and price. BUT… I don’t want to get something that doesn’t make me fall in love because it hits some of the targets while missing the biggest one of performance.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
If you share your specs / budgets I actually may have stumbled across something that meets your criteria in my own search!
Ideally, M or higher; 2.9+ ct; VS, solitaire or side stones but not overwhelming; OEC or possibly transitional (not an OMC); under $29k

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Spready and you have to DM for the cert but maybe?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a gorgeous stone, Dolly says it’s more of an M than its official GIA N designation. Not sure if this ticks all the boxes but its 16.5K set:

Here it is loose:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@RetroQT this chart may help you. And post a vid of the stone you are considering when you have a chance!

Old European Diamond

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This is a gorgeous stone, Dolly says it’s more of an M than its official GIA N designation. Not sure if this ticks all the boxes but its 16.5K set:

That’s a beautiful stone. I much prefer it to the jewels by Whitney!

Although if you want something that reads as white I’d highly discourage an N - that will definitely have a discernible tint! I get really annoyed by how Dolly talks about color in stones tbh bc it feels borderline dishonest

Brightness and color are not the same thing! A stone can be outrageously bright bc of the cut, and still have an obvious tint. She equivocates them constantly

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
That’s a beautiful stone. I much prefer it to the jewels by Whitney!

Although if you want something that reads as white I’d highly discourage an N - that will definitely have a discernible tint! I get really annoyed by how Dolly talks about color in stones tbh bc it feels borderline dishonest

Brightness and color are not the same thing! A stone can be outrageously bright bc of the cut, and still have an obvious tint. She equivocates them constantly

I almost linkef that one. But she posted that in April and I did not know if she still had it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Cerulean, yeah probably too low in color but such a pretty stone, figured I would throw it out there just in case.

I’d say Dolly and Whitney are ones to keep an eye on, they get some amazing diamonds at really good price points.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader, Don’t think my coffee is working this morning, I didn’t realize that post was from April! Ugh, sorry @RetroQT, I don’t see it marked sold but didn’t realize the post was from April.

Must get more coffee now!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Like @Cerulean I also like the that XO stone better than the OP.

@RetroQT you already have an M color you love, you might love the right N color, too.

Here’s an example of my M color (in the halo) with a GIA N and OP. IRL that color difference was almost imperceptible. It’s this color comparison that opened eyes to OP color. But, I have seen GIA L colors that were incredibly Brown/Yellow. These old cuts are hard to shop for because you have to see them irl to really assess them.

IMG_5893.jpg

Profile of the N and OP. I loved the 7 ct N color.

5D28E80F-A9D3-455D-97B4-B51ED19A50F5.jpeg

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader, Don’t think my coffee is working this morning, I didn’t realize that post was from April! Ugh, sorry @RetroQT, I don’t see it marked sold but didn’t realize the post was from April.

Must get more coffee now!

No worries she has not marked it as sold and most of the time sheet does so she might still have it you just never know! I should have linked it anyway since it’s not marked so I’m glad that you did

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
#1 question, where is the chip and how big?
You can not go by the report for this and I would want a picture.
Insurance may be an issue as it is already considered damaged.
Based on the girdle it has probably already been worked on also.
On an oec with age, I'm ok with small girdle chips without reworked girdles but newer stones not so much.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock

Here it is loose:

That’s the one my eye went to immediately! And in the traditional setting with the elongated tapered stones. *faints*

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
Like @Cerulean I also like the that XO stone better than the OP.

@RetroQT you already have an M color you love, you might love the right N color, too.

Here’s an example of my M color (in the halo) with a GIA N and OP. IRL that color difference was almost imperceptible. It’s this color comparison that opened eyes to OP color. But, I have seen GIA L colors that were incredibly Brown/Yellow. These old cuts are hard to shop for because you have to see them irl to really assess them.

IMG_5893.jpg

Profile of the N and OP. I loved the 7 ct N color.

5D28E80F-A9D3-455D-97B4-B51ED19A50F5.jpeg

My M (that I do love) doesn’t have any fluorescence. If it had some, that could make it a little “whiter”, right?

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I DM’d Dolly about the one @YadaYadaYada posted. Crossing fingers that even though it is from April, she still has it. Anyone familiar with her return policy?

Keep ‘em coming! The one in my OP is $25k so I’m loving these $16k options!

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
And here is the ring in the OP. (I think I’ve moved on from this one now that I see I have other options, even if it means waiting for a loose stone.)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here is the ring in the OP. (I think I’ve moved on from this one now that I see I have other options, even if it means waiting for a loose stone.)

@RetroQT, yes, I think I would look into other options right now, you can keep this one on the backburner...looks pretty and a lovely setting, but the flat profile is concerning, it can affect how the facets look, at least that was my experience. That said, don't write it off completely, it might be worth taking a look at at some point. Definitely take some time and see what else is out there though.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
@RetroQT, yes, I think I would look into other options right now, you can keep this one on the backburner...looks pretty and a lovely setting, but the flat profile is concerning, it can affect how the facets look, at least that was my experience. That said, don't write it off completely, it might be worth taking a look at at some point. Definitely take some time and see what else is out there though.
I agree with you completely.

I know I got really lucky with Sophia!! I fell in love with the setting and the diamond looked nice. Plus she was (IMO) exceptionally priced. Here is the GIA cert on her, and I know she might not have been considered a top tier contender, but her setting also makes her a standout.

That said, this one would be a solitaire, so the diamond will need to be the star all on its own. I definitely appreciate the help and guidance this time around!

E925E014-815B-4957-8777-55152DE67F53.png

B914BB01-F200-4E1D-9E5B-6D77DB515A40.jpeg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results