shape
carat
color
clarity

Chrono''s Guess The Stone Game

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 12:30:06 PM
Author: Fly Girl

Date: 4/23/2009 11:16:49 AM
Author: Chrono
The dangles are removeable so I can interchange gemstones.

ETA
I don''t know why they look purplish red. They are actually very very slightly orangish red.
Flame spinels?

Love, love, love your pictures and your collection!
36.gif
And Fly Girl is the winner! These are also from ACS. I believe they are the ones Matata wants to yank from me ears if she ever met me while I''m wearing them.
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the second set of "charms" for the earrings.

homerpair2A.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Traditional flat faceting done by Richard Homer. They are 7 mm stones.

homerpair3A.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I''m giving up on the guessing, I''m losing my touch! I don''t know if the purple ones are amethysts or not, but they sure are purdy. I have some amethyst cushions coming soon I hope.

Chrono, I''m sure I''ll find it when I go looking, but please tell me what sort of camera you have?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 12:37:23 PM
Author: Gailey
I''m giving up on the guessing, I''m losing my touch! I don''t know if the purple ones are amethysts or not, but they sure are purdy. I have some amethyst cushions coming soon I hope.

Chrono, I''m sure I''ll find it when I go looking, but please tell me what sort of camera you have?
Yes, they are amethysts. They have the red and blue flash. You can see some hints of red in the pictures.

My camera is actually a pretty cheap point and shoot Sony Cannon.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please excuse the horrible colour of the stone. This is the closest I am able to capture its true colour even though it shows a ton of gray and purple undertone here. Please IGNORE the colour in the other 3 pictures.

pinkring1A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the side view.

pinkring2A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another profile shot.

pinkring3A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I HATE HATE HATE this picture because it doesn''t even LOOK like the real thing. However, it does show off the unique setting very well. This is the second stone to give me fits in trying to take its picture.

pinkring4A.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
pink spinel?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lavender Spinel? Very interesting cut on this stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 1:15:24 PM
pink spinel?
Correcto! I had the hardest time trying to capture the true colour of Jeff White’s asscher cut pink spinel. The pictures that show the true pink colour are all blurry or show a ton of glare. I think the dispersion messes with the camera which leaves me with these ugly extinct looking purple pictures. If I do retake any pictures, this pink spinel will join the Paraiba for a re-shoot. They both deserve it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the last series of pictures. It should also be one of the easiest. I like this one for the accuracy of colour.

orangering1A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know why it looks so yellow here but wanted to give a clearer view of the setting.

orangering2A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An even clearer picture of the setting but it makes the stone look yucky! Please refer to the first picture for the true colour. For some reason, the blurry pictures show the most accurate colours.
33.gif

orangering3A.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Well that''s got to be your much anticipate spess right? Love to see a picture of it on your finger Chrono.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it is. I believe I have a picture of it in the Garnet thread.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry there’s no close up picture due to my aversion of the wrinkly finger syndrome.
9.gif

spesshandshot.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 2:13:41 PM
Sorry there’s no close up picture due to my aversion of the wrinkly finger syndrome.
9.gif
I can still tell that it glows! Beautiful stone, and a beautiful ring. Looks great on you!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono it was so worth the wait! I am swooning and fainting from the beauty of your collection. Seriously, wha ta wonderful hobby...or passion... collecting gemstones is.

Are those two rings the only gemstones that you have set so far? (not counting the earings of course)

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 1:41:10 PM
This is the last series of pictures. It should also be one of the easiest. I like this one for the accuracy of colour.

O M G !!!
30.gif

What a killer spess! I gotta get me one of those
31.gif
. If you don''t mind me asking, where did you procure that beauty?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Chrono... I think this is my favorite color stones thread EVER. It''s so fantastic to finally be able to see your (ridiculously gorgeous) collection. See, we knew you had it in you
9.gif
You did a fab job with the phots.

Date: 4/23/2009 1:43:45 PM
An even clearer picture of the setting but it makes the stone look yucky! Please refer to the first picture for the true colour. For some reason, the blurry pictures show the most accurate colours.
33.gif
OMG that spess
30.gif
30.gif
I agree with you about the blurry photos showing the best color though. Not sure why!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 5:16:40 PM
Author: icekid

OMG that spess
30.gif
30.gif
I agree with you about the blurry photos showing the best color though. Not sure why!

I think the blurry camera shots look more like what we see because of how our brain/eyes interpret colors? A sharp camera photo doesn''t have all that edge-detection software that our brain uses to mess with how we see colors and objects, but maybe when it''s a blurry photo it gets closer to simulating the weird brain color-math we do where we drop out the mean color value? I dunno, I''m just guessing, lol.

Side note: our healthcare systems lecture today was basically about how we''re all doomed. Thank goodness of have all of Chrono''s pretty pictures to pick me up :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 2:47:46 PM

Date: 4/23/2009 2:13:41 PM
9.gif
I can still tell that it glows! Beautiful stone, and a beautiful ring. Looks great on you!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Thank you. I can handle the faraway shots where you can''t see my old looking hands. What''s worse, I just discovered some sun spots near my thumbs. It''s such a weird place for sun spots.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 4:34:30 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Chrono it was so worth the wait! I am swooning and fainting from the beauty of your collection. Seriously, wha ta wonderful hobby...or passion... collecting gemstones is.

Are those two rings the only gemstones that you have set so far? (not counting the earings of course)
I am sort of embarrased to admit that those 2 rings are the only set ones. I''ve been having too much fun "hunting" down gemstones that I never paid much attention to setting them. Not only that, every time I think about the cost of the setting, my mind equates that to the cost of purchasing another gemstone so guess which one wins out?
31.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 5:12:25 PM
Author: shinyrocks

Date: 4/23/2009 1:41:10 PM

O M G !!!
30.gif

What a killer spess! I gotta get me one of those
31.gif
. If you don't mind me asking, where did you procure that beauty?
Thank you Shinyrocks. That is a 5.03 ct Loliondo spessartite measuring 9.6 x 9.6 mm cut by Jeff White. You can also see it in his gallery of completed projects:
http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/GAR082.htm

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Icekid and MTG,
You both are very generous with your compliments. Thank you. Your explaination of why the camera isn't smart enough to see the colour correctly sort of makes sense. We can't blame our brains now, can we?
9.gif
I'm glad it cheered you up a little.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 7:46:43 PM

Date: 4/23/2009 4:34:30 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

I am sort of embarrased to admit that those 2 rings are the only set ones. I''ve been having too much fun ''hunting'' down gemstones that I never paid much attention to setting them. Not only that, every time I think about the cost of the setting, my mind equates that to the cost of purchasing another gemstone so guess which one wins out?
31.gif
LOL! THat''s hilarious! I can see your logic, it is impeccable, but at the same time I think it is tragic not to be able to wear more of those stones and enjoy them every day! Or do you carry them around in their little boxes in your pruse and arrange them on your desk at work?
2.gif
That''s what I would do!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, that''s solid logic!! Luckily for me my settings probably won''t be too pricey.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 7:46:43 PM

I am sort of embarrased to admit that those 2 rings are the only set ones. I''ve been having too much fun ''hunting'' down gemstones that I never paid much attention to setting them. Not only that, every time I think about the cost of the setting, my mind equates that to the cost of purchasing another gemstone so guess which one wins out?
31.gif
I can totally relate to that! I''m just glad there''s LOGR for inexpensive settings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results