shape
carat
color
clarity

Chrono''s Guess The Stone Game

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I''m so stupid about spinels, is that the "flame spinel" you always talk about from AJS?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 10:03:47 PM
Author: Chrono
This might be a head scratcher because the colour isn't right in the picture. My camera could not catch any details nor capture the true colour.
I KNOW - I've been waiting for this picture for over two years from you!

More pictures of this please - especially in incandescents. I love how they look in incandescent light.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 10:04:00 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Since I''m so stupid about spinels, is that the ''flame spinel'' you always talk about from AJS?
I don''t know why it''s so orangey in the picture. It''s actually a straight pure red.
33.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 10:00:40 PM

Date: 4/22/2009 9:58:05 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 4/22/2009 9:56:20 PM

Date: 4/22/2009 9:53:34 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Were those moonstone earrings those from Barbara (AC Stones)??

cheers--Sharon
Yes, I heemed and hawed about it for the longest time then when they finally went on sale, I jumped.
9.gif
I figured with the setting and all, it''s good price compared to if I hunted down moonstones myself and then set them. I was so happy that the quality of moonstones are so fine. I get compliments every time I wear them.
HI:

I oogled those earrings forever!!!!

Please forward those red spinels to me. Apparently I need them......
9.gif

cheers--Sharon
Oh Sharon, they will look like pebbles to you.
3.gif
You have gorgeous whopper stones.
HI:

HA! Sometimes less is more......
1.gif

cheers--Sharon

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 10:04:51 PM

This might be a head scratcher because the colour isn''t right in the picture. My camera could not catch any details nor capture the true colour.
I KNOW - I''ve been waiting for this picture for over two years from you!

More pictures of this please - especially in incandescents. I love how they look in incandescent light.
I know YOU know what it is. Actually, this is THE hardest stone to photograph. I took 6 pictures and only 1 turned out half decent. I''m done with trying to take more pictures of it. Maybe when my cobalt gets here, I might try it again under incandescent. I didn''t try any indoor lighting at all for all my collection.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 10:08:04 PM

I know YOU know what it is. Actually, this is THE hardest stone to photograph. I took 6 pictures and only 1 turned out half decent. I'm done with trying to take more pictures of it. Maybe when my cobalt gets here, I might try it again under incandescent. I didn't try any indoor lighting at all for all my collection.
emcry.gif
8.gif

P.S. To me, these look best in indoor artificial lighting.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 8:43:19 PM

Date: 4/22/2009 8:40:58 PM
I am sooooo happy you finally started taking pictures of your gems.
9.gif
Is my photography improving? I''m impressed with myself for taking much clearer and detailed pictures this time.
1.gif
I haven''t gone through the thread yet, but I had to say, yes, so far, pretty darned good!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, I missed the fun earlier with the guessing, but I have to say:

CHRONO! You''ve been holding out this entire time. These pictures are fabulous! Geez, it took you long enough woman! I''m so tickled pink to finally see your collection.

Boy, I feel palpable relief that we will (hopefully) continue to get such good pics of all your goodies! Fantastic collection!!!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono,, I love your collection,,, I just lovelovelovelovelove
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
the Richard Homer Concave cut... I''m going to get one his gem one day....after I get my ering 3rd mounting finalize and finished off.... and my other RHR that you helped me out with... Thanks BTW

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 10:51:13 PM
Author: D&T
Chrono,, I love your collection,,, I just lovelovelovelovelove
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
the Richard Homer Concave cut... I''m going to get one his gem one day....after I get my ering 3rd mounting finalize and finished off.... and my other RHR that you helped me out with... Thanks BTW
You are welcome. I was lucky to recall that one because I''ve been oogling it for a while but you can have it. I''ve way too many stones already.
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 10:46:21 PM
Author: TravelingGal
OK, I missed the fun earlier with the guessing, but I have to say:

CHRONO! You've been holding out this entire time. These pictures are fabulous! Geez, it took you long enough woman! I'm so tickled pink to finally see your collection.

Boy, I feel palpable relief that we will (hopefully) continue to get such good pics of all your goodies! Fantastic collection!!!
Thanks TG. It's not that I'm holding out. Frankly, I suck at taking pictures. I gave up after my very first attempt a year ago resulted in ZERO pictures. Nothing turned out.

It took me 3 sessions to get the hang of taking pictures of gemstones with a lot of help from the other PSers and Eric from Swalagemtraders. The first was blurry and tiny. The second was less blurry and a little closer. Looks like the 3rd time's the charm - but it still took a long time. I was in and out of the house shooting pictures for about 1.5 hours. Going through the nearly 80 pictures and deleting the fuzzy ones took another 2 hours. Sizing and renaming took another 2 hours too. It's just too exhausting and time consuming and I didn't even do the fancy flower / decoration pictures! I'm done with photography for now. Sorry.
39.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ummm...is no one guessing what the blusih stone is? I still have a few other gemstones left, not many but they are feeling neglected.
11.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
is the most recent one a tourmaline?

Chrono, you have beautiful stones and take fantastic photos, I don''t know what you were worried about hon!

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock

This might be a head scratcher because the colour isn''t right in the picture. My camera could not catch any details nor capture the true colour.

I know YOU know what it is. Actually, this is THE hardest stone to photograph. I took 6 pictures and only 1 turned out half decent. I''m done with trying to take more pictures of it. Maybe when my cobalt gets here, I might try it again under incandescent. I didn''t try any indoor lighting at all for all my collection.
Chrono,
What lighting are you using? Fluorescent? Daylight?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono -- what a beautiful collection!

I love your heirloom ring, the setting is just so rich! Do you know when it was made? It looks like late 1800''s to me, or that''s what I''d date it if it were a silver (more accurately, silverplate) spoon!
3.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Is the bluish stone a paraiba tourmaline?
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 1:48:22 AM
Author: zeolite

Chrono,
What lighting are you using? Fluorescent? Daylight?
Nothing special, just morning/noon natural sunlight. It sun peeked in and out so sometimes it was sunny and sometimes overcast.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 2:09:14 AM
Author: VRBeauty
Chrono -- what a beautiful collection!

I love your heirloom ring, the setting is just so rich! Do you know when it was made? It looks like late 1800''s to me, or that''s what I''d date it if it were a silver (more accurately, silverplate) spoon!
3.gif
Thank you. Based on may parents and grandparents'' ages, I would guess it was made in the late 1800''s too. I''m just so worried about wearing a gemstone ring with such a high karat gold metal. I worry the details will get worn down.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 12:29:36 AM
Author: arjunajane
is the most recent one a tourmaline?

Chrono, you have beautiful stones and take fantastic photos, I don''t know what you were worried about hon!
AJ,
You are right but I’m being “tough” and want a little more detail. Trust me, my first try ended up with blackened out pictures. Nothing showed up. My tsavorite thread, Stupid Question, showed my second try which was much better but still poor. I attribute the improvement to everyone''s help on taking better pictures. THANKS PSers. You ladies are guys are the best!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 2:58:28 AM
Author: mariedtiger
Is the bluish stone a paraiba tourmaline?
9.gif
Bada Bing Bada Boom! MariedTiger wins this round.

Phew...moving on.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one gave me some fits too but the colour seems quite close other than the small orange areas and slight gray tint I'm seeing that aren't there.

pinkstone1A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another view. It looks slighty gray here - I'm not sure why. Maybe because my camera can't pick up the slight sleepiness of the stone? This is my first sleepy looking xxx gemstone. I was taken by this quality. The amount of sleepiness is just right, not too much, just enough to give it a soft velvety look which removed all extinction. There is no extinction no matter what lighting I view it under.

pinkstone2A.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL! This is a great idea!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe..the word "sleepy" makes me think sapphire?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 8:17:02 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Hehe..the word ''sleepy'' makes me think sapphire?
Good guess but incorrect.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink Spinel?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 9:15:20 AM
Pink Spinel?
TL,
You are just too good!
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pictures of the same pink Tanzanian spinel.

greenpink1A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another view with a mystery gem. This picture shows the sleepiness quite well.

greenpink2A.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pictures of the new mystery stone, but I expect it''s an easy guess.

greencushion1A.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results