shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing a ring designer: Hannah vs Kirsch vs Canera

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The context of your post is really helpful. I'm absolutely not dictating any kind of mm sizing dimensions to him, it was more about general design ideas. For example, I was looking for his opinion of if the basket uprights be curved or straight. I would expect he had a view on this, but he just said both are possible, which was not what I expected. However, perhaps my expectations are unrealistic and unnecessary.

Your post echos that of LLJsmom, so clearly there's a pattern here! I may be overshooting the mark with Victor. It will be difficult for me to just give him basic guidance and let him loose, but clearly his end result is always amazing, so this might be something I just need to deal with.

Thank you, it's really nice to at least have the stone part of the ring sorted! The AGS grading was not cheap, but given the price of the stone, the added BG perks, and the fact that I could then list it as a BG Signature on any future insurance claim to ensure I get a comparable stone, it seemed like the sensible thing to do.

So I guess I’m not clear if you know what you want with regard to specifics. Have you decided if you want curved struts? Or straight? Have you decided to use Victor? Or you are deciding based on how much consulting is provided in advance? If you definitely choose him, and you tell him what you want, and it can’t work, he will tell you. If you can’t decide what will look better I bet he will tell you. But I’m assuming you have decided to work with him.

Bozman52

Rough_Rock
So I guess I’m not clear if you know what you want with regard to specifics. Have you decided if you want curved struts? Or straight? Have you decided to use Victor? Or you are deciding based on how much consulting is provided in advance? If you definitely choose him, and you tell him what you want, and it can’t work, he will tell you. If you can’t decide what will look better I bet he will tell you. But I’m assuming you have decided to work with him.

Based on the feedback I received from everyone in this thread, I did make the decision to go with Victor. I have a general idea on what I want for the ring (solitaire cathedral), but I was anticipating that Victor would consult with me on the more detailed design cues in advance of making the ring. However, he is just saying that everything is possible and has not steered me in one direction or the other, which is not what I expected. This is why I wanted to come back to the forum and see if this is normal and if I needed to realign my expectations.

What I'm gleaning is that Victor is not the kind of designer who will go into the weeds with me in advance. It's looking like I will have to decide on the details on my own, provide this guidance ot Victor, and then just let him run with it and decide for himself on the fly if something needs to be changed. I can be alright with this approach, but it just was not what I was expecting. This discussion today has been really helpful for me, though.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Based on the feedback I received from everyone in this thread, I did make the decision to go with Victor. I have a general idea on what I want for the ring (solitaire cathedral), but I was anticipating that Victor would consult with me on the more detailed design cues in advance of making the ring. However, he is just saying that everything is possible and has not steered me in one direction or the other, which is not what I expected. This is why I wanted to come back to the forum and see if this is normal and if I needed to realign my expectations.

What I'm gleaning is that Victor is not the kind of designer who will go into the weeds with me in advance. It's looking like I will have to decide on the details on my own, provide this guidance ot Victor, and then just let him run with it and decide for himself on the fly if something needs to be changed. I can be alright with this approach, but it just was not what I was expecting. This discussion today has been really helpful for me, though.

A lot of the things it seems like you're asking for are personal preference. If both options are able to be made and both would look right with the design, then ultimately the decision is up to you.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm have the same experience with designers I've reached out to for my emerald project. I gave them my top 3 favorite examples of a design detail I wanted. I let em know I trust their eye to make it their own and it'll turn out nice. The response was either "yes, this can be done" or "these are all different. You need to narrow down what you want." :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see. Did you create a thread to ask the forum for design opinions or do you already know what you want and just wanted reassurance that there would be no issues?

Bozman52

Rough_Rock
If it makes you feel any better, I'm have the same experience with designers I've reached out to for my emerald project.

Yes, that does actually make me feel a bit better!

I see. Did you create a thread to ask the forum for design opinions or do you already know what you want and just wanted reassurance that there would be no issues?

I have not created a thread for my specific design elements, as I thought that may be a bit much of an ask for the forum. I also assumed the designer would help me with these kind of specifics, but maybe a thread on this is not an awful idea after all given the new lay of the land . . .

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about this with diamonds on the shank? Your best bet is to find elements that he has made and show him the parts you like. I think this is a very beautiful ring. The scalloped basket makes it so unique and not like the majority of pave settings out there.

or this...

This would be gorgeous with a cushion...

another pave solitaire...(you just have to picture the heads of these rings with the cushion, obviously)

These are all very beautiful designs. It would be hard to come up with something better than these.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have not created a thread for my specific design elements, as I thought that may be a bit much of an ask for the forum. I also assumed the designer would help me with these kind of specifics, but maybe a thread on this is not an awful idea after all given the new lay of the land . . .

One thing you could get is pros and cons from people who have actually worn a certain design element, that you could never have realized yourself without you being the wearer. And some things bother one person with certain needs or preferences while not at all for another person. Perspectives of wearers can be a helpful thing if you are the type to do due diligence. And the maker can’t even give you all the pros and cons because he’s just one person.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm have the same experience with designers I've reached out to for my emerald project. I gave them my top 3 favorite examples of a design detail I wanted. I let em know I trust their eye to make it their own and it'll turn out nice. The response was either "yes, this can be done" or "these are all different. You need to narrow down what you want." :)

I "had", HAD. Not "I'm have." Sorry, I just needed to correct that. :lol:

Oh, this might help. Here's an earlier draft I had sent to a designer to help illustrate what I was looking for. I took an existing piece and tweaked it.

So it might be better for you to google different kinds of struts etc. to see what you prefer. Then let VC know if one option or another is a "must have," or whether you're open to both and want him to choose?

robinsparkles

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your comment on my thread earlier (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vc-vs-mh-for-halo-oval-resetting.272069/#post-5096453) -- was just curious if your ring is done?? Would love to see a photo!

Bozman52

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your comment on my thread earlier (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vc-vs-mh-for-halo-oval-resetting.272069/#post-5096453) -- was just curious if your ring is done?? Would love to see a photo!

Hello there! Although I did decide to move forward with Victor, I'm exceptionally indecisive and am trying to decide between two designs. I created a simplified spec sheet completed for my original design (based on comments from PS) that I was nearly ready to hand over to Victor, but I then became quite enamored with an existing ring that Victor has previously created, so I'm trying to decide between these two designs now.

I did consider posting here for opinions on both designs, but I think that would honestly further confuse me, as it's likley I would get people who like each, so I've decided to just go it on my own and choose.

It is difficult to choose among all the really amazing designers, so I do hope you'll be able to arrive at a decision that you're happy with. If you do go with Victor, I've found that he prefers chatting on the phone as opposed to emailing back and forth, at least in my case.

robinsparkles

Rough_Rock
Bozman52, what was the process of getting to speak with Victor? I've only been able to talk to his salesman, Nathan, who has made a few mistakes on my invoice and has not answered any questions about the process/any potential timeline. I'm kind of assuming I'll be able to speak with VC once he receives my diamond, but I would also hate to assume that and be wrong. Just wanted to check before I send off my diamond and $$$. :)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bozman52, what was the process of getting to speak with Victor? I've only been able to talk to his salesman, Nathan, who has made a few mistakes on my invoice and has not answered any questions about the process/any potential timeline. I'm kind of assuming I'll be able to speak with VC once he receives my diamond, but I would also hate to assume that and be wrong. Just wanted to check before I send off my diamond and $$$. :)

Can you call the number at the bottom of their website? Victor picked up the phone every time when I've called.

Bozman52

Rough_Rock
I second what @Kim N said. I've called the main line twice and Victor has answered both times. You could also email Victor directly. I won't post his email here, but if you've been emailing with Nathan, then it's the same format, but for "Victor" instead.

robinsparkles

Rough_Rock
I second what @Kim N said. I've called the main line twice and Victor has answered both times. You could also email Victor directly. I won't post his email here, but if you've been emailing with Nathan, then it's the same format, but for "Victor" instead.

Thank you, both! I just called and spoke with Victor.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello there! Although I did decide to move forward with Victor, I'm exceptionally indecisive and am trying to decide between two designs. I created a simplified spec sheet completed for my original design (based on comments from PS) that I was nearly ready to hand over to Victor, but I then became quite enamored with an existing ring that Victor has previously created, so I'm trying to decide between these two designs now.

I did consider posting here for opinions on both designs, but I think that would honestly further confuse me, as it's likley I would get people who like each, so I've decided to just go it on my own and choose.

It is difficult to choose among all the really amazing designers, so I do hope you'll be able to arrive at a decision that you're happy with. If you do go with Victor, I've found that he prefers chatting on the phone as opposed to emailing back and forth, at least in my case.

My (unsolicited) opinion is ALWAYS to go with an existing ring of a designer or take elements from more than one ring they have made before, especially when one hasn't had much experience in ring design before. That way, you know you are getting a well designed ring and no unpleasant surprises. To be honest, the ones I posted earlier that Victor has made are superior to the design you posted on the first page. I really hope you've already decided and Victor has started on the ring!

Bozman52

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! It has been a while since I was active on this thread, but I felt like it should come full circle now that I've received the Victor Canera ring and have proposed! I've created a new thread about the ring here: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...era-cathedral-knife-edge-pave-setting.273787/

Thank you to everyone who helped guide me through this rather grueling process. I couldn't be happier with the end result, and more importantly, my fiancee LOVES the ring (and also appreciates the craftsmanship and attention to detail with both the H&A cushion diamond and the VC setting). Victor is an absolute master of his work and I have had no second thoughts about trusting him with this project.

I'll leave a couple pics here, but do check out the other thread to see more of the end result!

Victor Canera- 2.48tcw Solitaire Knife Edge- 2.jpg

Victor Canera- 2.48tcw Solitaire Knife Edge- 4.jpg

JenniferMarie90

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! It has been a while since I was active on this thread, but I felt like it should come full circle now that I've received the Victor Canera ring and have proposed! I've created a new thread about the ring here: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...era-cathedral-knife-edge-pave-setting.273787/

Thank you to everyone who helped guide me through this rather grueling process. I couldn't be happier with the end result, and more importantly, my fiancee LOVES the ring (and also appreciates the craftsmanship and attention to detail with both the H&A cushion diamond and the VC setting). Victor is an absolute master of his work and I have had no second thoughts about trusting him with this project.

I'll leave a couple pics here, but do check out the other thread to see more of the end result!

Victor Canera- 2.48tcw Solitaire Knife Edge- 2.jpg

Victor Canera- 2.48tcw Solitaire Knife Edge- 4.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous. Do you have any pics of it on the hand?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results