shape
carat
color
clarity

Caught the OEC bug, looking for advice

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
I have caught the OEC bug thanks to pricescope!

I am seriously considering a newly cut OEC right now. It is just shy of 8mm. It is larger than my current stone (a 6.95mm square cushion), but not as large as where I think want to end up (8.5 mm would be awesome). I am trying to decide if I should talk myself out of it or keep it to 'get in the game' knowing I would likely upgrade it if the right (larger) stone came along later. Inventory just doesn't pop up like it does for MRBs. It checks all the boxes otherwise. Also, FYI my ring size is 3.75.

I would probably get DK to set it is a plainish setting so I wouldn't have too much invested in the setting right now.

I am looking to buy a newly cut OEC with an upgrade policy so upgrading wouldn't be difficult from that aspect.

Has anyone done that? I know I've read about people buying temporary settings to save for more elaborate ones later and I know people often end up upgrading from DSS but I feel like that isn't always how the intention started.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I don't have any answers to your questions, sorry, but I am curious as to where you are looking for OECs?

I am not ready to purchase one just yet - but will be doing so in the very near future.

I am hoping to have one or two (or more?) mailed to me for a couple of days so I can decide.

Good luck on your search!

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's a fine plan. I considered it myself a few years ago. However, I got busy, forgot about the upgrade, and 2 years later the money I needed for the size I wanted was there. You never know where the market will be in a few years and if you will be able to get the larger stone then or not. I think you're close enough, go ahead and jump in! You might as well enjoy it for a few years while you save for the bigger upgrade. Or you may decide you love the slightly smaller one and spend the money on something different. Good luck deciding!

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks sparkle45. I have been looking on all those sites minus OWD....I think it is just too image light to get me engaged.

Poshmommy - it's nice to hear someone else would consider my thought process. I have VC's 1.95 I in my possession that you also saw on your visit a few months ago. I saw you mentioned that the other part of your rough might turn out to be another I color about 2.5cts. Which sounds perfect size wise, but VC talked about what a 2.4ish J would run, so I know an I color in that size would be too much for the budget right now.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I remember that stone. It was very beautiful and lively. I also really loved his 3+ carat K. I never thought I would like a K. But that one was white face up and very lovely. You have such a tiny finger size. The 1.95 I would look great on you!

sparkle45

Shiny_Rock
So YOU'RE the one who nabbed the 1.95?!?! And not my boyfriend??!? :lol: Do you plan to keep it? I just noticed it was gone last night and took it off my pinboard and spreadsheet. Also, will VC do custom cuts for the rounds? I've seen lots of threads on here regarding custom cuts, but they're all for cushions.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
edelweissmaedl|1470406432|4062766 said:
I have caught the OEC bug thanks to pricescope!

I am seriously considering a newly cut OEC right now. It is just shy of 8mm. It is larger than my current stone (a 6.95mm square cushion), but not as large as where I think want to end up (8.5 mm would be awesome). I am trying to decide if I should talk myself out of it or keep it to 'get in the game' knowing I would likely upgrade it if the right (larger) stone came along later. Inventory just doesn't pop up like it does for MRBs. It checks all the boxes otherwise. Also, FYI my ring size is 3.75.

I would probably get DK to set it is a plainish setting so I wouldn't have too much invested in the setting right now.

I am looking to buy a newly cut OEC with an upgrade policy so upgrading wouldn't be difficult from that aspect.

Has anyone done that? I know I've read about people buying temporary settings to save for more elaborate ones later and I know people often end up upgrading from DSS but I feel like that isn't always how the intention started.

Hi! I hear you on the OEC's- I'm on my third one :shock: :shock:

The "newly cut" OEC's tend to come at a premium. You could get a larger stone for the same amount of money (perhaps your ideal size 8.5 mm) if you went with a true antique stone. I would just keep scouring the old cut sites (OWD, LAD, JBEG) for new stones. Also, I know you are looking for i color, but don't rule out lower colors with great faceting patterns, they face up very white.

As for settings, I am planning on putting my new one in a repro tiffany solitaire while I save up for a custom setting so I can wear it, get used to size, etc....

Good luck!

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
Yes sparke45, I had considered sending for the 1.95 I and the 1.5 K (more so for color) about 6 weeks ago but hadn't. Then last week the K disappeared and someone else on Pricescope said they were going to visit Victor in Sept and were looking at 1.5-1.8 size and I got nervous.

I ended up ordering it and a MRB J in nearly the same size. I 'think' I'm going to keep it. The biggest struggle is this is so a want and not a need purchase and a big one. The disco ball of pastel colors everyone talks about it real and definitely draws me in.

Although not the same comparison I feel the J I have in my possession also faces up very white and could see myself dropping to J for size if one came along.

I didn't ask Victor about custom.....it sounds like earlier this spring he may not have been taking custom requests, but I know poshmommy is doing a custom cut, but it is over 4 cts. There is a smaller market for OEC's so inventory doesn't move the same way it does for MRB's.

cer.gif

sparkle45

Shiny_Rock
Ughh I know. I had my heart set on the 1.5 for the color, too. It was a great price, since I don't know what budget my SO is going to give me once we discuss specifics in January. Would prefer to be 1.75+, but that 1.5 was The One if the budget wasn't going to be there for bigger.

The 1.95 is to die for and if I were you and could afford it, I'd keep it for sure. Especially considering VC's trade-up policy. It's so hard, as a waiting lady, to watch the stones drop off one by one and not know when inventory will be replenished!! :errrr: :cry:

sparkle45

Shiny_Rock
Soooo, I know you said you tend to avoid OWD - but if you are still unsure about the 1.95, I'd for SURE contact Adam (866-729-8625) and ask to be sent this gorgeous stone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTff_eIaQA8

Run it in their diamond search for pic, vid, and GIA cert: 2.42 L VVS2 $18K

But I know L may be too low for you... They also have two others you could request vids for:

2.17 J $17K
2.21 K $17K

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you want an OEC but did you see the 2 carat I vs2 CAC on loupetroop? It's already in a Jocelyn setting and they are asking $15k. I would be all over it.

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
LLJsmom, thanks for the tip I actually noticed it the other day.....it is barely larger than my current cushion so its a no.

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
Sparkle45 since you are more familiar with the OWD site than me.....is the L uncerted? I don't see a cert attached and I know I've seen cents on other diamonds on his site.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.95 I looks lovely on you, if you are not happy with the size, have you considered getting it put into a Emilya halo, then it will more than cover your entire tiny finger.... and it will add more overall bling too!!

Q

Queenie60

I've been following this thread closely! I have caught the OEC bug as well. Now I need to take the time to learn more about them before I pull the trigger. I already know the setting I want on the LAD site! Just need to decide the size I want and what to look for in an OEC. This is going to take some time. This will be a rhr for me! Look forward to seeing your choice OP! PS is a dangerous place, I did not know what an OEC was until January!

sparkle45

Shiny_Rock
You're totally right, I had assumed the GIA logo linked to the actual report but it doesn't appear to. I'd reach out via the "contact us" link or call and just request the cert number. That diamond looks absolutely gorgeous. What a great price for those specs! Also, OWD is having an August sale - 10% off ANY diamond!!! So that's half a carat more than the VC, for 6k cheaper. :D

PS -- Don't know how new you are to Pricescope... If you have ANY interest in this stone, you should put a hold on it ASAP as there are a lot of lurkers here who will snipe stones that are being talked about.

sparkle45

Shiny_Rock
Hi Queeni! What's your ring size? I'm only a 4.25, but I know I'd love something 1.75-2.5

Which setting is the one you've decided on?? I drool over LAD and JBG literally daily.

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
sparkle45 I swear last night that in the cert line it didn't even say GIA it was just blank. I went ahead and sent an email.....

I am worried about L color and do think I am overall more of a new cut kind of girl. I saw a 2.5 ct MRB in M color not too long ago and I know that isn't the same, but it was too yellow for me for sure.

Queenie60 - I wouldn't even be down this road either if I didn't visit PS! Which LAD setting do you like? They are lovely!

Q

Queenie60

I just love the Celeste Halo on the LAD site. My right hand ring finger is a 6. I am a 4.5 on my left hand! Go figure. I am thinking that I should go with a 7mm or so stone? I can't even decide on a stone until I know more about OEC's. They seem very complex to me, not as straight forward as a MRB. The Celeste Halo ring satisfies two things for me - 1) I've been wanting a sapphire ring and 2) I have a craving for an OEC.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the video of the 2.42 sparkle45 found. It looks like quite the performer. Good luck with your search!

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
I'm tempted to order the 2.42 L to compare.

The GIA report is 2171080937.....it looks like the edge of the table may have a chip based on the report.

kgizo - I looked your threads up and noticed that you purchased an L (although ended up fake) before your J. You commented on it looking too warm/yellow in certain instances. Are you glad you ended up with a J? Part of me wants to order the L to see for myself, but part of me doesn't.....I don't want to waste Adam's time if it's not realistic L would work for me.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think of diamond color like wedding dress color, some people want the whitest white possible and some prefer ivory. It's a good thing we all like different things or it would be so boring. I own: 0.5 G MRB, 1.03 I OEC, 1.07 J tranny and 2.45 J per AGS / K per GIA OEC. For me D/E/F are too "harsh" of a white and I see more pastel/rainbow color flashes in the warmer colors. I love the pastel/rainbow flashes. In the L stone I really liked it from the top, but on a side view against a white piece of paper I could see light yellow. Once set it would not have been an issue as I wouldn't walk around with white paper as a backdrop, but I can overthink some things. I would consider a L in the future. My friend has a 2.0 E MRB and it is beautiful, but too startling white for me. My mother has a 3.15 J MRB and I prefer hers to the E. I'm done shopping for awhile, but when I start up again I would consider anything G-J for MRB and G-M for OECs. Hope this helps.

Q

Queenie60

If and when I purchase an OEC - it will be and L or warmer. I feel that L or warmer adds to the character of the stone. Just my opinion, we're all different. However, I do prefer a G, H or I for a mrb.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I have noticed now after having had the OEC for 3 months or so is that what I love about it and the big flashes by virtue of the large cuts, and the silvery on-off flashes, as well as the pastels. There are environments where I wish it was whiter, but I felt that way about my F MRB too. I think (my theory only) that the lower colors (below J) allow more contrast as he facets flash, which lets you actually see the shape of the "flashing" facet, which is very appealing to me. I recently took a bunch of pictures in the same time of day and am amazed at how very different it can look. We below and thank you for giving me an excuse to post gratuitous pics of my K OEC.

All taken within 10 minutes while sitting in my car at around 7 pm. My car interior is black and I am wearing a black sweatshirt and have black hair, and olive skin.

This one is under overcast skies at 3 pm in the afternoon.

_5199.jpeg

_5200.jpeg

_5201.jpeg

_5202.jpeg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy has an L and if you want pics of how it looks in various environments throughout the day she would be happy to post pics for you.

So this is under energy saving lights in my dining room. No sunlight. White walls.

Under my desk in a room with fluorescent lighting. No sunlight.

Kitchen with sunlight. Maybe this is where people don't think it is white enough.

A comparison with my MRB G and F studs in bathroom. G is on left, and from WF. F is old GIA.

Hope this helps.

_5203.jpeg

_5204.jpeg

_5205.jpeg

_5206.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
sparkle45|1470677777|4063574 said:
It's so hard, as a waiting lady, to watch the stones drop off one by one and not know when inventory will be replenished!! :errrr: :cry:

Stop. Looking.

Seriously, you are needlessly torturing yourself for no reason. Whenever the time comes, you will get what is best and available.

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the thoughts on shades of white, etc. LLJsmom, Queenie60 and kzigo.

I ordered the L from OWD....and won't really be able to sit down and check it out until I get home tonight......but I think it will be good to see where my color threshold is from this if nothing else. I recall Gypsy saying recently that trying to look at colors in jewelry store lighting is for the birds. It's definitely a whole different experience to relax and look at the coloring at home.....inside, outside, in the car, by the window. At first glance I can tell the L is warmer than my I e-ring (but more ivory/creamy) like I often seen mentioned..... it doesn't look nearly as yellow as the M MRB I saw in store recently.

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
This is no pro picture and I know people don't seem to focus on ASETS for OECs, but what makes the facets blur red/blue? What is happening in the middle of the stone?

242_aset.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results