shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all the Emerald Experts

Mixtress

Rough_Rock
Premium
Went into Tiffany's a few days ago to try on different ring styles and settings. Now I can't seem to get the emerald solitaire I had tried on out of my mind. I equally love the sparkly brilliance a round cut has to offer as well as the understated elegance an emerald possesses. Decisions, decisions..

Heading to Los Angeles next week and will get to visit Victor Canera's office and take a peek at his collection of diamonds (yay!). It's either I go with one of his H&A/CER or purchase an emerald from James Allen and have Victor make me a setting. I would like to have 2 emeralds picked out in advance just in case this ends up being my final decision. :)

Looking for an emerald from James Allen between 1.80-2 carats, G/H colour, and VS clarity and above. I prefer a L/W ratio of 1.25-1.35 with obvious cut corners. Budget is $15K.

What are your opinions of these 4 that I have picked out so far? Thank you in advance!

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.08-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-6035167

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.01-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-5759769

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.80-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-6348931

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.90-carat-g-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-6191014

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Went into Tiffany's a few days ago to try on different ring styles and settings. Now I can't seem to get the emerald solitaire I had tried on out of my mind. I equally love the sparkly brilliance a round cut has to offer as well as the understated elegance an emerald possesses. Decisions, decisions..

Heading to Los Angeles next week and will get to visit Victor Canera's office and take a peek at his collection of diamonds (yay!). It's either I go with one of his H&A/CER or purchase an emerald from James Allen and have Victor make me a setting. I would like to have 2 emeralds picked out in advance just in case this ends up being my final decision. :)

Looking for an emerald from James Allen between 1.80-2 carats, G/H colour, and VS clarity and above. I prefer a L/W ratio of 1.25-1.35 with obvious cut corners. Budget is $15K.

What are your opinions of these 4 that I have picked out so far? Thank you in advance!

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.08-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-6035167

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.01-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-5759769

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.80-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-6348931

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.90-carat-g-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-6191014

I think these all have potential! The only one that really visually plays with my eyes in an odd way is #3: JA 1.80GVS2. I don’t know if it’s the one step close to the center that grabs my eye & distracts from the rest of the stone, or if it’s how light bounces off other steps in an awkward way for me, but I’m not experiencing anything positive, when I look at it; it seems almost cut “crooked”, or something.
There is a dark step near the center that most certainly draws my attention, however, that may just be due to the fact that it’s moving while positioned on P3 Facet.
Any of these are great candidates. My top choice of these is #4: JA 1.90GVVS1. Very white, obviously crisp at VVS1, beautiful movement, and clear brightness consistently across the stone.
My second choice is #1: 2.08HVS2. This stone seems to have more contrast than #4, but I would wager it would still perform just as well.
#2: 2.01HVS2 is a nice choice, but I’m picking up more tint in this stone than the other 3. If you are color sensitive, I’d eliminate based upon more obvious color.
All 4 are eye clean & beautiful.
This will come down to personal preference.
I’m a fan of JA 1.90GVVS1 & JA 2.08GVS2.
PLEASE place your top choices on HOLD ASAP, and request ASET images for each for comparison.
Curious what others have to say....

@OoohShiny @marcy @diamondseeker2006 @whitewave @Emeraldsaremyfavorite @Emeraldcutlover @Emerald_city @Emerald_Isle13 @doberman @Asscherhalo_lover @asschergal @-Asscher- @the_mother_thing
Fellow step cut lovers: tag a friend!! :mrgreen2:

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
As PS approved diamonds do get scooped on occasion if they are not placed on hold, I strongly recommend looking at specific diamonds on JA after you decide on shape.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now, I'm no expert... lol ... but IMHO:

1 - I feel this one performs pretty well during rotation but, for me, the central band dominates the stone while looking a bit dark and potentially lacking brightness and contrast in the head-on position? I can't tell if the sides of the 'box' of facets that are at the edge of the table (at the top and bottom) are maybe not 'lively' enough until they get to 45degrees or more of rotation?

2 - I personally like this one. The narrow ends are bright and perform well, which is not always the case (from what I can tell), and the contrast patterns are pleasing to my eye. The dark obstruction at the very middle, where the keel is, could perhaps indicate the P3 facets aren't perfect, but I don't think it's 'too much' darkness - I know Karl has commented on this sort of thing before but I can't remember where, lol.

3 - I'm not sure if this lacks contrast/brightness when head-on? Sometimes I think ECs can look a bit 'see-through' if they don't have strong facet/obstruction patterning, and this one does not have much of the latter head-on under the table, I think? It might have the strongest 'hall of mirrors' look, though, and is bright when rotating. I think it might be 'windowing' at the bottom triangles of the short ends when rotated past about 45degrees, however, and similar to #1, I am wondering if the top and bottom of the 'box' of facets at the edge of the table are maybe too 'quiet' from 0 to about 20 degrees of rotation?

4 - An interesting one to my eyes - is it just me or does it look like the 'east' side is perhaps wider than the 'west' side, meaning the pavilion faceting looks a bit out-of-true?? I quite like the head-on facet/contrast patterning, though, and I think the reflecting facets dance around the stone really nicely when it's rotating, along with giving off some surprising amounts of what looks like fire for an EC! The narrower ends are performing well and I think it has also potential 'hall of mirrors' effect, which is not that common. It doesn't even 'window' that much on rotation! I think it might even be doing some '3D faceting' under the table (along the longer facets)?

A decent selection overall to my eyes, nice picking :)

For me, I think it would be 4 and then 2, even taking into account that 4 might not be a perfect rectangle shape, and if I had to pick one over the other between 1 and 3, I'd struggle but maybe land on 3 and hope the windowing isn't too much of an issue IRL.

That does mean that my last choice is @Matthews1127 second choice... lol :lol: but personal taste is just that :) and we do both agree that we like 4 the most! :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first choice would be the 2.08 H VS2. If you compare the diameters, it is going to be visually larger than the others at 8.3 x 6.3mm. Table is a nice size and it has a nice crown, as well. Looks fine to me in the video.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My internet has been acting up, so I can’t get any to spin.

Generally speaking, I would go with the largest you can afford. Square cuts look smaller than they are for weight.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Following up. I now see 2 of your 4 choices are sold. Hoping those are the 2 you have on hold for consideration!! :mrgreen2:

Mixtress

Rough_Rock
Premium
Following up. I now see 2 of your 4 choices are sold. Hoping those are the 2 you have on hold for consideration!! :mrgreen2:

I have the #4 diamond, 1.90 G on hold, the other one was already on hold before I got to it. The JA rep I spoke to cannot get me ASET images as its not available. Cannot wait to see Victor next week, it's going to be a tough decision. :geek2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the #4 diamond, 1.90 G on hold, the other one was already on hold before I got to it. The JA rep I spoke to cannot get me ASET images as its not available. Cannot wait to see Victor next week, it's going to be a tough decision. :geek2:

Follow your gut!! One of these sparklers will speak to you!! You’ll know, when it’s time.
Enjoy this process!!
Can’t wait to hear more about your journey! :mrgreen2:

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
#1 looks cloudy. I wouldn't be surprised in the line blocked out from the GIA report was "additional clouds not shown." I would recommend not purchasing this one. And what is JA doing removing these lines from the report? #3 is not a good cut, not enough contrast. #4 is ok but I'm super picky and would pass. It's not symmetrical enough for me and the cut is lackluster. Honestly, I would keep looking.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
One tip.
Diamonds that appear to have too much blue in ECs can be great.
But only when set north south.

The reason is the binocular effect of having 2 eyes. If one eye sees a dark.obstruction of light from your head or body it is likely the other eye will.see a bright area in the same zone.
That causes a wierd effect when thise signals arrive at the brain which actually enhances brilliance.
The effect is much stronger in EC than other cuts.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 looks cloudy. I wouldn't be surprised in the line blocked out from the GIA report was "additional clouds not shown." I would recommend not purchasing this one. And what is JA doing removing these lines from the report? #3 is not a good cut, not enough contrast. #4 is ok but I'm super picky and would pass. It's not symmetrical enough for me and the cut is lackluster. Honestly, I would keep looking.
It's part of the new thing they are trying- blocking out GIA numbers so consumers can't price compare. However, looks like this time they took out some important cert info when they took out the GIA number.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results