shape
carat
color
clarity

CADs are in

redroze

Shiny_Rock
I was going to wait til the next round of CADs to show you these, but what the hey. Maybe your fabulous eagle eyes will spot something I didn't. Here is my feedback followed by the CADs. Note that I asked for four split prongs - the octagon halo was gargantuan, and it think I could only achieve delicacy with hand forged. Plus I kinda fell out of like with the halo once I got the 1.5 carat.

The CADs are admittedly not there yet but they are close. I have confidence in ERD to execute this and am sooooo glad for CADs in the design process. Chris has been marvellous throughout.

1) reduce the number of melee. Specifically change trios into one single diamond, then remove one melee in the centre near the bottom set of melee.
2) reducing the number of melee should move the marquise shaped cut out up the shank, which should be visible from top down view.
3) start to taper the shank at the second grouping of melee, then keep it thin from that point on. This should reduce the amount of gold on either side of the marquise shaped cut out.
4) change basket to look like JBEG design where the prong stems meet together. Put two surprise diamonds,one on either side of base of stems like the SS profile.
5) make ring overall more delicate with less gold (hard to tell with cads though as they are always bulky)
6) make melee below the shank the same size as the smaller melee. Hard to verify but they look like same size as the larger bezel set diamonds.
7) asked them to send me engraving samples for the profile. I like how they continued the pave 3/4 way around the shank.
8.) make bottom shank open so you can see skin through marquise shaped cutouts.

image_1395.jpg
image_1396.jpg
image_1397.jpg
JBEG profile:
image_1398.jpg
Original design:
image_1383.jpg
image_1399.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, very, very pretty setting & I love the side view. I didn't read your point by point list yet, but my 2 cents off the top of my head is that I would narrow the shank below the main side design and I would not have diamonds below that. There is so much wonderful stuff happening already that less is more. I mean a plain shank on the lower sides and bottom would provide welcome contrast.

edit - whoops! just read the points and that you are happy about the 3/4 melee.
I think your instincts are good to simplify a bit.

again - my 2 cents! FWIW

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Jimmianne thanks! I'm on the fence about the pave on the lower shank. It doesn't make a difference on the look as it won't be visible, but the quote was for 3/4 diamonds and I can't say no to more right? Lol I'm also thinking long term. If I get a matching band with 3/4 or even 7/8 pave, maybe I'd prefer the ering to have more to match. My wedding band is only semi eternity so I certainly don't need it.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redroze|1394898967|3634659 said:
can't say no to more right?

exactly! :appl:

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I am awful with telling how CAd's will translate but with the changes you suggested, great ideas thus far!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the changes you have written look good. The current CADs look nothing like the SS ring to me, so hopefully they can get it closer on the next try!

redroze

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1394914515|3634741 said:
The current CADs look nothing like the SS ring to me, so hopefully they can get it closer on the next try!

You don't think so? I don't think they are that far off. It helps that I did up a feedback document and put pics of the CADs and real ring side by side...it helped to visualize the changes needed better. :wink2:

screen_shot_2014-03-15_at_6.png
screen_shot_2014-03-15_at_6_0.png

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
To me the erd version doesn't have the scalloping on the shank like the ss version-
Also what finger size is the as one? I know you are a 4.25 so visually that might a different as well.
Also on the side view, you see the beautiful gallery of the ss but not on the erd one. Those are the major differences aside from the obvious lack of similar tapering.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
I see what you're saying AD. By scallop do you mean the design, or do you mean that marquise -shaped cut out? The scalloping isn't showing on the ERD version because they put more melee in the scallops - 3 when there should only be 1. So it's a longer scallop that gets hidden from view...and the cut out is hidden.

The top photo is from a PSer Backwardsinheels who is a size 3.5 and OEC is I think 8.6mm. Lower photo from Greenwich Jewelers and is size 6 with 0.98 oec. Mine is 4.25 with 1.5 rb.

The intricate gallery was a custom one that BIHeels asked for...and that I didn't want as it felt too busy for me. The original gallery is the photo I posted in my first post above...it's different cause it has a bezel and mine has prongs.

Fingers crossed that it looks better with next round. I'll post the updated cads when I get them!

Original design: http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/sh...ropean-cut-diamond-ring-with-vintage-cut-outs

BIH: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/single-stone-looks-like-love.190075/

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I am sure they will get it exactly the way you want it, ERD sounds like a dream to work with! I am SO looking forward to seeing the final product...

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Redroze, sorry to thread jack but do you happen to remember how long it took ERD to get your first round of CADs to you. I'm awaiting my first CADs (they were to have started last Monday) and I'm just curious how long it might take.

Thanks and good luck! I've been enjoying reading about your process.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1394928854|3634833 said:
Redroze, sorry to thread jack but do you happen to remember how long it took ERD to get your first round of CADs to you. I'm awaiting my first CADs (they were to have started last Monday) and I'm just curious how long it might take.

Thanks and good luck! I've been enjoying reading about your process.

Oh no problem at all!! I was thinking of you Logan as you had posted the Single Stone ring photos in my other thread, and I had said I wasn't sure if I liked the setting! Haha...obviously I was wrong.

What are you getting made from ERD? Wow I can honestly say they have been super quick with all my CADs. Just dug through my emails. 1st ring design was a simple pave solitaire, I got CADs 6 days after deciding on the setting. I pretty much gave feedback same day and they updated the CADs 3 days later. Next iteration was with a bigger diamond and octagon halo. They gave CADs again around 6-7 days after my note to change the design. Then I gave them this new SS design, and they sent me new CADs three days later. So overall I think they've been pretty quick. Based on that I think you should be getting your CADs soon. I have the impressions they have a CAD team (of course Chris couldn't do them as he's so busy working with clients). So don't be too disappointed if your first CAD isn't exactly what you want.

The first CADs I've received all 3 x (crazy that they're not super annoyed with me yet!) were okay but not quite there in the details, but I've found the 2nd CADs have been exactly as my feedback. So I'm never too scared when the first round of CADs isn't exact as I can see they turn it around quickly and precisely with the next round. It's almost like they do a rough try at it first time, with the expectation that you can start modifying the details shortly after. Plus I sent Chris so many photos and emails that he probably had detail overload!!

I'd think it would depend on how complex the setting is and whether they've done that design before. You also need to decide on the centre stone first as they build the CAD around the stone's dimensions.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They need to make the top layer that has the design thinner. I can see a big difference in the SS CAD and this one.

sscadprofile.jpg

redroze

Shiny_Rock
dS you're absolutely right! I'll pass on that note, thank you! It actually looks thicker all the way around too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is so much wrong with that CAD that it makes me wonder if the person doing it was blind.

I would just send them the pictures in this thread comparing the two rings side by side and tell them not to waste your time until they have a match.

It's ridiculous how far off this is from the design asked for. :nono:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The double prongs should be connected until they reach the stone as you said. But you are not telling them to change the base of the prongs to be like the JBEG one are you? I think they might be very confused by that graphic.

(I am glad you came, Gypsy. I hated to seem negative, but I felt they were way off.)

redroze

Shiny_Rock
You guys seem more annoyed than I am! I think I was relieved to just see a setting close to one I was in love with! But you're right, there are a lot if changes they need to make still. And I sent them a ton of photos and the cads. It's quite possible that I've been so indecisive with the setting that they just wanted to wrap this up quickly. But still no excuse...well ensure that the ring isn't going to get made until it's close to the SS setting as possible! I work with graphic designers everyday so I'm used to things not being solid first time out the gate.

DS what do you mean about the base? I was specific that the prong stems should all meet at the bottom, and the lower shank should be open to allow the cutouts to show skin. Let me dig up the link I sent them to copy...

Like the underside of this ring, only with a piece of gold for the stems to meet rather than an open circle. bIHeel's lower shank is also open like this, but obviously she doesn't need an area for prongs to meet cause she has a bezel.

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=4959

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, that would have been a good link (LJN) to send them. The JBEG ring has all the prongs (or at least the two I can see) meet at the base like a tulip. I was hoping that wasn't what you were wanting, so it is good you aren't giving them that picture. :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of course I am annoyed.
We recommend ERD here day in and day out for CAD work (although to be fair, I would never have recommended them for this design), and the design is NOTHING like the one in the SS ring. If you compare them their really is no correlation even.

It's just a lazy, inaccurate and frankly terrible rendering and IF IT WERE ME, and whoever did it sent it to me, I would NEVER have sent it to the Customer. I would have kicked it right back to the CAD designer and told them to go to the optometrist.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This isn't the first time ERD has had difficulty with this type of design either. Which is why I would not have recommended them for this project.

Follow the progression in this thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-cads-for-my-ec-please.194129/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-cads-for-my-ec-please.194129/page-2[/URL]

So especially after that debacle I expect them not to repeat the same shoddy rendering issues they had before.

And getting that project to the point it was at was a PAIN IN THE NECK for me, and for everyone helping. Because it was like ERD did NO thinking on their own. Which just ticks me off.

And I really hope that SOMEONE links Mark to this, so he can read this and fix the problem.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I gotta say it, you are awesome.

Your priority is truly the customer - and woe betide any vendor who fails to use all resources available to further that priority. It is so rare to find a long-timer who holds all vendors to the same standard and truly doesn't play favourites!

I was typing, erasing, and re-typing trying to find a way to state exactly what you just did so succinctly - that that CAD is an eyesore, and is honestly an insult to the proposed aesthetic. I do hope whoever is creating these renderings wakes up.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Redrose, I would also tell them that you've seen Lexarose's ring on PS, and you expect your milgrain to be MUCH finer than what they used for hers. Because I personally feel that the milgrain on the finished ring is not as fine as it should have been.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy- can I ask you on that note regarding the milgrain (or millergrain), sometimes I see it look like beautiful tiny beading and sometimes more like raised nicks. Is one machine done versus hand done? How to ensure the beaded look? Thanks for any insight/tips.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate the candid honesty and on my end, after processing all that's been said, I'm tempted to just cancel the ring design, have them ship me the loose diamond and call it a day. I thought it was just bumps in the CAD design process - I can accept that maybe they outsource the CADs to college kids or junior designers who need more hand holding. ERD is lower cost than other vendors so they need to keep costs down. I noted this in Leaxarose's ring design thread (which to be fair is a really complex ring), and someone else noted with ERD (I can't remember who). However, if there are actual issues and concerns in the finishing process, like the fineness of the milgrain, this would be total news to me and enough to convince me to spend my money elsewhere. Heck, I'll have the diamond shipped to me and visit Single Stone myself, just to get it set by SS themselves. I know I've had a floating budget that was self-imposed by me, but I've never been one to pay for lack of quality. I shied away from the SK design because it sounded like there were alternate PS vendors that could do the same design for less, but if there were any concerns about ERD doing this SS setting I assure you, I would not have engaged them in it.It's not like copying Tiffany 6 prong -- this ring has a delicacy and lacyness that has to be done right!

Can someone articulate the difference in milgrain between Leaxa's and AG''s milgrain? To my untrained eye I truly can't see a difference.

LR noted that hers would be hand applied after the ring was cast - which Gypsy I know you ensured that she specified with ERD. Do you suspect it wasn't hand applied? Or was it just a heavy hand? I fully expect and am aware that copies are never as true as the original, but to me, there is no point in getting a copy if it's not very close to the original. I don't buy knockoff handbags, and I sure wouldn't buy a knockoff engagement ring that didn't do justice to the original. I *thought* the design could be done by ERD which is why I put complete trust in them. Now you've got me wondering.

Leaxa: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-leaxaroses-x-mas-proposal-erd-e-ring.196711/
AG: http://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-stunning-25-carat-emerald-cut-diamond-ring

image_1422.jpg
image_1423.jpg

My own wedding band's milgrain which I find to be beautiful, and so fine that it's barely noticeable sometimes. Natalie K from a bricks and mortar store.
image_1424.jpg

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Just an FYI, I had contacted SS in January about one of their super simple settings with less than .20 diamonds. It was 6,000. Their designs are incredible though. I hope that you can work it out with ERD though since they have been such a pleasure to work with.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
artdecolover71|1394977693|3635148 said:
Just an FYI, I had contacted SS in January about one of their super simple settings with less than .20 diamonds. It was 6,000. Their designs are incredible though. I hope that you can work it out with ERD though since they have been such a pleasure to work with.

Whoa nelly! Thanks AD. I guess you get what you paid for.

Interesting though...on Greenwich which they sell the same setting with a 98 point oec included for 8800. I thought maybe that would make the setting itself around 3k but no idea how much 98 point oecs normally run for?

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think their settings start that low based on my quote. Maybe the oec wasn't an expensive stone? They got back to me fairly quickly once I picked a setting and gave them stone specs. The setting didn't have engraving, special basket details or anything. I think their expense comes in so high because it's completely hand made, around your stone- no cad at all.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Can you just email Chris and tell him your concerns since you have such a great relationship? I know it's nerve wracking but it sounds like they are committed to making customers satisfied.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
They've been awesome and I pored over ERD threads for weeks now - the work is great and the proof is in the pudding.

This is a tough crowd! I'm so thankful for the help to this point and so glad I found ERD, but I have to go with my gut on this one and continue with ERD on the ring. Thanks all! Best of luck with your new ring Artdeco!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results