shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD; comments & advice re: pink diamond engagement ring!

xxeevvaaxx

Rough_Rock
hi all, long time lurker & first time poster here! after perusing the PS forums religiously for the past months, FH and i (more i) have found a gorgeous diamond and designed what we (i) think is my perfect e-ring.

a bit of info regarding our GIA certified cushion modified brilliant pink diamond:
- carat weight: 1.78
- measurements: 7.47 x 7.28 x 4.29
- color grade: fancy pink
- clarity grade: VVS1
- proportions: table: 54%; depth: 59%; girdle: medium - thick; culet: none
- polish: excellent
- symmetry: good
- fluorescence: faint

even though our stone is very nicely-sized, i wanted an inner pink halo to give our pink diamond the illusion of a larger carat weight. i wanted a colorless outer halo to add to the total measurement and to make the ring look more cohesive with the rest of the ring. i also wanted a diamond encrusted look, so i asked my jeweler (local) to do a 3-row micro-pave shank and pave along the head. attached please find the first CAD that we received from our jeweler.

to me, everything about it looks pretty perfect, and there's nothing about it that i'd like to change. i do have a few questions regarding the practicality of the design:

• 1) i like the look of the single shank. the band currently measures 2.2 mm and the head 12.5 mm. do you think the ring would be better balanced with a split shank?
  • 2) the micro-pave shank!
i've read so many threads about how two rings rubbing against each other will damage the prongs and/or diamonds and cause the diamonds to eventually fall out. my jeweler tells me the same thing and recommended that i solder my e-ring and wedding band together, but i'd prefer to be able to wear by band apart from the ring. FH thinks i should get a single-row pave, but i'm pretty much dead-set on the micro pave. do you think that if we change the shank to a double-row pave, it will help the situation *much*? what if we take away the pave on the bridge? i'm thinking it could act as a buffer between the band and ring, since it juts out a bit and would prevent direct contact. i'm perfectly okay with this if you think it will make a difference. i've also read people say that a spacer band (from my understanding, a stoneless, plain band) will alleviate the issue, however, i don't understand why a spacer wouldn't cause the same problems, since it will still make contact with the ring.we're willing to tell the jeweler to make the ring as-is and worry about the wedding band situation at a later time. if you could explain this to me, i'd really appreciate it.

i am more than open to questions, suggestions, and comments from the PS community about your opinions or thoughts on this ring. i truly value your knowledge and experience, and i'm very excited to continue learning about diamonds and jewelry from you.

thank you in advance for your help!

pink_1.png

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That design is really impractical for daily wear. If you know that going in and are fine with it, that's okay. But I would never advise wearing another pave band with that and would listen to your jeweler about soldering them together. At a minimum, wear a small spacer between the bands. The spacer helps because it keeps the stones from rubbing together. Diamond against metal is fine; diamond against diamond is not and that's when damage happens.

For me, there's a lot of dead space under the stone that I do not think is flattering. Also recommend the ring is platinum for maximum durability.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
3 sided pave is just not practical for everyday wear. Lots of potential for losing stones. Double sided isn't so bad and there are a lot of members here that have it but you still have potential to lose stones, it's just going to be more fragile than a single row of pave. I have a knife edge with two rows of pave and it's holding up very well. But i've only had it for 9 months.

On the split shank, i think that would balance the ring so much more to have it. But i'm all about symmetry and balance.

Check out some of the pics here: (Start on the last page/most recent)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-collection-of-halos.121549/page-28

there's a few halos in here

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/the-split-shank-collection-t138001-90.html

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the other posters -- you'd have to baby that ring. I mean really baby it. Three sided pave is just not durable enough for daily wear. I'm not sure who you're having make your setting, but since you're spending several hundred thousand at least on a large pink diamond, why not have Victor Canera or Steven Kirsch create it for you?

xxeevvaaxx

Rough_Rock
thank you so much for the feedback so far!

there will actually be a rose gold basket underneath the stone so it wouldn't look so empty.

i know the three-row pave is impracticable, but i just love the way it looks. after hearing your opinions though, i may consider changing it due to the maintenance & upkeep. im already prepared for the likelihood that stones will have to be replaced, but it'll still be a hassle. i fell in love with the tiffany soleste setting at first, until i saw the micro-pave. maybe going back to a setting like that might be a wiser choice long-term?

i thought about going through PS recommended jewellers to make the setting, but my jeweler is very well established locally and offers a lifetime warranty & "free" repairs. i'm sure it's a misconception, but i'm just more comfortable having a physical store that i can visit and employees that i can talk to whenever i need to (especially since it is a rare diamond).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
xxeevvaaxx|1463173308|4031415 said:
thank you so much for the feedback so far!

there will actually be a rose gold basket underneath the stone so it wouldn't look so empty.

i know the three-row pave is impracticable, but i just love the way it looks. after hearing your opinions though, i may consider changing it due to the maintenance & upkeep. im already prepared for the likelihood that stones will have to be replaced, but it'll still be a hassle. i fell in love with the tiffany soleste setting at first, until i saw the micro-pave. maybe going back to a setting like that might be a wiser choice long-term?

i thought about going through PS recommended jewellers to make the setting, but my jeweler is very well established locally and offers a lifetime warranty & "free" repairs. i'm sure it's a misconception, but i'm just more comfortable having a physical store that i can visit and employees that i can talk to whenever i need to (especially since it is a rare diamond).

Nothing wrong with that, OP! :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please read: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-jewelry-work-cad-and-cast-psa.175834/#post-3202426#p3202426']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-jewelry-work-cad-and-cast-psa.175834/#post-3202426#p3202426[/URL]

I would angle the halo 20% away from the center stone. Set the center stone higher above the double halos. Remove the pave on the struts and the donut. I would change the metal on the struts to rose gold. And there is no way I'd do a three row pave shank.

xxeevvaaxx

Rough_Rock
thanks gypsy, i appreciated reading the thread you linked to. just to clarify, i think you're saying that despite possible price discrepancies (my jeweler is definitely not inexpensive), PS vendors are much more skilled and reliable than most local jewelers? i definitely don't doubt that, & i know this sounds ridiculous, but for my own peace of mind, *if* something were to happen to my ring, i'd rather have a physical entity that i can speak with (yell at), even if it means risking inferior workmanship. however, i will reach out to some PS recommended vendors this weekend and get their opinions on my design.

we actually specifically asked my jeweler to set the center stone low. the soleste that i tried on had a fairly flat head, and we liked the look of that better than a more protrusive stone. she's going make some changes to the shank and send me a new CAD, so i'll tell her to incorporate a more angled halo & remove the diamonds on the struts & donut.

i'll be sure to update this thread once i have new information. in the interim, please feel free to share any additional advice or comments!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting you will have an e-ring made with a pink diamond!!! Do you have pics of your diamond?
To my eyes the first CAD's look very promising. Have you seen pave rings of your local jeweller and has he made similar rings before?
I have a right hand ring with 3-sided pave by Victor Canera and I love the look. It's not an everyday ring though. It all depends on how careful you are with your hands. I used to be very hard on my hand but that totally changed over the years.

For this particular ring I would prefer a single shank to a split shank.

If you want a combine a pave band with your ring, I would indeed have single or double sided pave and remove the diamonds on the struts and donut. I would also have the head lowered (shorter struts) as there is a lot of empty space.

You said you will have recommended vendors look at the (durability) of the design. Most jewelers will not comment on work of a different jeweller though... Especially since your stone is so special it could be a good idea to contact one of the pave masters like Steven Kirsch or Victor Canera. I completey understand your wish to go local though.

Enjoy the process!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a good bench, by all means have it made locally. I've had work done by PS benches that were not as good [had tiny flaws and design oops] as my local person. You can tell a lot by what they have done...and if they will allow you to look at their work with a loupe, even better.

Your design is pretty, yet all those stones on the sides of the shank would chew into other bands or scratch diamonds on other bands.
If you love it, just enjoy it knowing that it may have some issues.
[I wear thin spacers with some of my rings to get around that issue].

xxeevvaaxx

Rough_Rock
FH & i were too distracted looking at the diamond and completely forgot to take any pictures of it. we did ask the jeweler to send us a photo after we realized our oversight, and i have attached it to this post. IRL the color is (unfortunately) significantly lighter, but it's a true pink with even distribution and no modifiers.

after additional searches of all possible halo-related threads on PS, i think i may go for a setting like the VS Emilya with multi-row pave after seeing twosanguinehearts's ring. it still has an "encrusted" look around the halo, but only a single row of diamonds on the shank. i know that even though the pave along the edge of the head could get damaged, it'll still be less problematic that the ones along the shank. i will tell my jeweler to remove the diamonds on the donut & struts, and lower the head. i'm sure she's secretly annoyed with me due to all the changes i'm asking her to make (this will be the 3rd CAD that i'm having her make @ the same time), but it's worth it!

i really thought i knew exactly what i wanted in a setting, and almost gave her the go-ahead to start making it for me. but after hearing your advice, i'm realizing that a practicable piece is more important than a *super sparkly* one in the long run. i will be back with updates!

pink_diamond_0.jpg

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
No real advice... I just have to say:

I love the stone! How exciting. I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like. Please come back to show it off!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why pave is fragile: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-online-retailer-for-a-custom-setting.203660/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-online-retailer-for-a-custom-setting.203660/[/URL]
Why we recommend handforging for pave:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-all-think-of-this-stone.219137/page-2#post-3981481#p3981481']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-all-think-of-this-stone.219137/page-2#post-3981481#p3981481[/URL]

More reading above.

The last thread I posted for you was meant to convey that you have to be very careful with your jeweler selection. Especially for pave halos (see threads immediately above on issues with pave).

And that many local jewelers can't match the quality of our best vendors.

You ultimately have to feel comfortable. And I'm sure that stone was extraordinarily expensive.

I am happy you've listened to the advice regarding the practicality of the setting. You don't want to go through all this and then end up with ring that sits in it's box all the time.

Are you planning on having kids (or do you have them already)? If so, pregnancy can cause a lot ring size fluctuations. Many of which are permanent. So I recommend you do not go full eternity on the pave shank. 3/4 at most.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree if you have a good bench who's work you have seen and are impressed with there's no reason not to stay with them.

xxeevvaaxx

Rough_Rock
UPDATE as promised.

got the revised CAD from my jeweler. we took away 2 rows of pave on the shank, and the diamonds on the struts & donut. although i did love the look of a single shank, she added a split-shank because according to her it'll give the ring a better balance due to its top-heaviness. she's confirmed time and again that there will be a rose gold basket underneath the diamond in the head, but for whatever reason will not put it in the CAD.

before i give her the go-ahead, i wanted to get your feedback on the new CAD.

i reached out to WF & BG, since they're both located fairly close to me, but was told that they won't do custom work on a diamond purchased elsewhere. i e-mailed VC since i was inspired by his emilya, unfortunately i just can't convince myself to send my stone to the great abyss that is the internet. i've seen many of her craftsmanship and spoken with some of her previous clients. i'm very impressed by her work, and feel comfortable having her design my ring.

i really appreciate each and every one of your input. you have truly helped me in this design process!

pinknew_0.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
xxeevvaaxx|1463852435|4034482 said:
UPDATE as promised.

got the revised CAD from my jeweler. we took away 2 rows of pave on the shank, and the diamonds on the struts & donut. although i did love the look of a single shank, she added a split-shank because according to her it'll give the ring a better balance due to its top-heaviness. she's confirmed time and again that there will be a rose gold basket underneath the diamond in the head, but for whatever reason will not put it in the CAD.

before i give her the go-ahead, i wanted to get your feedback on the new CAD.

i reached out to WF & BG, since they're both located fairly close to me, but was told that they won't do custom work on a diamond purchased elsewhere. i e-mailed VC since i was inspired by his emilya, unfortunately i just can't convince myself to send my stone to the great abyss that is the internet. i've seen many of her craftsmanship and spoken with some of her previous clients. i'm very impressed by her work, and feel comfortable having her design my ring.

i really appreciate each and every one of your input. you have truly helped me in this design process!

pinknew_0.png

I am not a CAD expert, but I like this much more than the one before. I think the slight split shank is gorgeous, and I think taking away some of the diamonds made it look much better and will make your diamond *pop* even more :) I'm so excited to see it!

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
I really like this version!

I would want to see a CAD that included the rose gold cup/basket to see how it looks in the side view. They will obviously cast/forge it separately, but I would still want to see a rendering of how the profile looks with the cup there.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something about the donut and stems meeting at the donut bothers me. I think it's because the donut seems big to me in the CAD, and the stems far apart - I can't "unsee" the the vase/funnel that is made between the stems and donut. Maybe the V shape with stems and donut seems to jump out at me because the split shank is more graceful of a "V" in comparison...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much, much better! I hope that rose gold cup will not be visible from the side. It might could be lowered just a bit. I think it looks a little bit high.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this a lot better! Can't wait to see the finished ring! :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just have it lowered and you are fine. It's too high.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results