shape
carat
color
clarity

CA Mom who gave birth to octuplets has SIX other kids at home under age 7!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
World News tonight (ABC News maybe) said she receives up to $1600/month because the 3 oldest kids are "disabled", and I believe, around $480 in food stamps monthly.

I've tried really hard to avoid this whole story, the entire thing absolutely infuriates me. The news stations have gone to the streets of Cali to get public replies, excuse me, I mean outcries.
29.gif
I didn't hear one tax payer say that this woman is in the right.

I think she should be taken off of any public funding, and this idiot of a doctor should be required to help raise what he created. That is, until CPS takes them. These kids deserve a real family that can provide the love and care that a hild actually needs. Not what this mom thinks she can give them by holding them for 45 minutes a day. Completely dillusional.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 6:33:19 PM
Author: decodelighted
Hey TG ... is your avatar in slo-mo ... or is my computer on the frizz?
Yeah, it''s in slow mo. I''m too lazy to hook my external hard drive to my computer to find the original one I had, which ws slightly smaller res and moved faster for some reason.

cara

Ideal_Rock
That she appears to be mentally ill helps me be less angry at her, and shift more of the blame onto whatever doctor made this possible.

And the public funds for food stamps is really a small amount of actual money, though it does help prove the point that the mother had no business having more children. $500/mo is only $6k per year and I don''t really have a huge problem with my tax dollars feeding hungry children; I have a problem with my tax dollars paying for NICU stays for octuplets - that is millions of dollars! And whatever treatments these kids need for their special needs related to their disabilities/prematurity/bizarre upbringing - those costs are going to be far more significant; and no mother has the right to take the risks she did with her children''s health.

My unrealistic wishful hope is that social services intervenes and the octuplets get adopted out. But I don''t know about the legality of removing infants from a mentally ill mother that wants to keep them - I imagine the bar is (rightly) quite high, I just hope there is some intervention that looks at this from the perspective of what is in the best interests of the kids. How far should society go in granting parents the right to screw up raising their kids as they see fit?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m pretty much with Cara. My anger is directed mainly at the doctor(s?) who aided and abetted. Yes I''m angry at the mother as well, but it seems clear that there is mental illness at play here. I guess I''m also in shock that she was in contact with a lot of people (through church, and whatever agencies approved the disability for the children and food stamps) who were either unwilling or unable to take steps to stop the craziness. Apparently her mother tried, but... no one else spoke out? No one called CPS to say "hey, something is wrong here?" No one sounded any sort of alarm about a single mother who just keeps getting pregnant, even after babies 4, 5, or 6?

It just seems like a sad, sad situation for all involved.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 9:50:31 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Yeah, it''s in slow mo. I''m too lazy to hook my external hard drive to my computer to find the original one I had, which ws slightly smaller res and moved faster for some reason.
LOL ... I just thought "Geez ... Amelia is really wearing her out!" And that''s just ONE beeebie!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 7:57:14 PM
Author: LAJennifer
But you''re a good kind of crazy. You can give one of your 14 to me - I''ll raise a Deco Baby.
LOL. Thanks for the genetic vote of confidence! Would you care for a particularly fiesty Deco male cat that can''t seem to get along with the rest of our fur brood? Nah ... I''m sticking it out with him. (For the kitty food stamps & disability payments, natch)
31.gif
3.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 11:20:25 PM

Date: 2/10/2009 9:50:31 PM
Author: TravelingGal

LOL ... I just thought ''Geez ... Amelia is really wearing her out!'' And that''s just ONE beeebie!
Not far from the truth Deco. You will never catch me posting on Pricescope between 6-6:30pm because that is my most WONDERFUL time of the day...when I put the kid to bed!
24.gif
36.gif
37.gif
I can go from her crib to the wine bottle in about 57 seconds. I can''t imagine having to put more than 1, possibly 2 kids to bed. 14 children under the age of 10, with 10 under the age of 2 would make me mental for sure. I''m not even kidding. I''d have a breakdown and I consider myself a competent mother.

This whole thing is beyond the scope of my comprehension. California must be the breeding ground for nutters. I was mortified in December over that Santa Shooter guy. And now this. Perhaps people would be offended at comparing the two, but we have one guy callously and cruelly taking people out of this world and another callously bringing people into this world. I just can''t get a grasp on either.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I watched part of the DATELINE special last night. She isn''t well...that is plain to see. I kept thinking of Michael Jackson interviews in the past where it is so obvious that they are in complete denial (even, mentally, very sick).

I have to agree with Meresal, if anyone should be held accountable (financially as well) it should be the doctors who went along with this woman''s madness.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 1:06:59 PM
Author: Bia
I watched part of the DATELINE special last night. She isn''t well...that is plain to see. I kept thinking of Michael Jackson interviews in the past where it is so obvious that they are in complete denial (even, mentally, very sick).

I have to agree with Meresal, if anyone should be held accountable (financially as well) it should be the doctors who went along with this woman''s madness.

We discussed this is in one of my social psych classes, and they said the doctor did violated AMA standards for in vitro, and there would likely be action taken against him... does anyone know anything more about that?

She''s begging for money, and I''ve heard rumor that Cali tax payers are likely going to foot the hospital bill.

Again.. this is also stuff I''ve heard... so if anyone knows any better, please inform!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I did watch the Dateline interview with Nayda Suleman last night. She does not appear to have the capacity for self- reflection or assessment of her own behavior. Despite the probability that she has mental problems, I do hold her responsible for her choices. Of course, the IVF doc should also be held accountable for allowing Nadya to act out her compulsion, without considering the consequences of another implantation. Nadya clearly admits that the compulsion to have so many children was based upon her own needs. It is really all about her and lack of consideration for the practical, emotional, physical, developmental, and financial needs of her children. I hope her counseling program terminates her participation. As a Licensed Professional Counselor, she should not be seriously considered as appropriate for our profession.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
The whole thing is so crazy ... This woman wouldn't qualify for adopting a SHELTER KITTEN much less EIGHT SPECIAL NEEDS INFANTS. She surely wouldn't qualify to be a FOSTER PARENT ... or even to be a mentor/BIG SISTER in any reputable program. Holy crayola is something seriously wrong w/"THE SYSTEM"????????
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Dr. Phil show is devoting an entire hour to this and not from a positive standpoint either. It''s on right now.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 5:02:03 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
The Dr. Phil show is devoting an entire hour to this and not from a positive standpoint either. It''s on right now.
Thanks for the heads up!

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 1:00:00 PM
Author: fieryred33143

Date: 2/11/2009 12:49:09 PM
Author: elledizzy5
http://www.thenadyasulemanfamily.com/

Now she has a website asking for donations.
38.gif

If there was a way to leave food, clothing, or diapers I would donate because at least that way I can guarantee that it goes towards the children.
I hate to post this, but it does say that you can donate items but sending them to the address on the website. I feel so sorry for those babies, but I feel like donating anything on top of everything I am sure she has been given is not really a good thing. To me it is just okaying her actions. There are so many other families around the world/US that really need help and are struggling daily that aren''t putting themselves out there for donations. I know I probably sounds like a total b*tch and I apologize to anyone I offend.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 5:10:51 PM
Author: Definitely, Maybe

38.gif

If there was a way to leave food, clothing, or diapers I would donate because at least that way I can guarantee that it goes towards the children.
I hate to post this, but it does say that you can donate items but sending them to the address on the website. I feel so sorry for those babies, but I feel like donating anything on top of everything I am sure she has been given is not really a good thing. To me it is just okaying her actions. There are so many other families around the world/US that really need help and are struggling daily that aren''t putting themselves out there for donations. I know I probably sounds like a total b*tch and I apologize to anyone I offend.
Which is the address of her PR firm, which I assumed had put the website together. They also ask for comments on the site. I don''t know why they''d ask for comments, considering the majority of them will be negative. Maybe they intend to weed out the positive comments and show those to the mom?

I don''t know what to think of all of this any longer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The children won''t be with her long. There''s likely no way she and her mother are going to be able to take care of 6 children, some with handicaps, along with 8 premature infants, some of whom will certainly have special needs. Better not to prolong the process, just my opinion.

snlee

Ideal_Rock

38.gif

I hate to post this, but it does say that you can donate items but sending them to the address on the website. I feel so sorry for those babies, but I feel like donating anything on top of everything I am sure she has been given is not really a good thing. To me it is just okaying her actions. There are so many other families around the world/US that really need help and are struggling daily that aren't putting themselves out there for donations. I know I probably sounds like a total b*tch and I apologize to anyone I offend.
I feel the same way.

I watched the Dateline interview with Nayda last night. The more I hear about this story, the more sick I feel. She had 6 children in 5.5 years and goes in for in vitro again less than 2 years later, all while going to school? Are you crazy!?! She obviously cannot provide for them. What she has done is beyond selfish! I feel so badly for her children.

Did anyone notice that she has fake nails? I don't think someone with no income and 14 children has the financial means or TIME to get her nails done!
38.gif

I'd love to hear from her doctor! He should be held accountable!

And if it's true that California tax payers will be paying for her children, I am pissed off!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think that the state would send resources into the home before taking the children away from their birth mother. Granted this is a very unique situation, but I just don''t see it happening.

I do think TraderGirl (I think it was) was right when she said that the mom picked the wrong time in history to do this. If this happened three years ago, people would have been rooting for Ty Pennington to show up, knock her parent''s modest home down and build a new huge one up to a foot of the curb.

The other thing that I think is very miserable about this woman is that she is totally taking advantage of her own mother, saddling her with 6 young children to care for, and then going on national tv and saying that she wasn''t loved enough as a child . . . or something like that . . . I haven''t followed this story too closely . . . just on PS and a snippet of the Today show interview (something about 45 minutes with each baby.)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 5:06:11 PM

I can''t believe she has a website for DONATIONS!! I think I am going to have a heart attack!!! This is absolutely insane.
20.gif
i give her the middle finger !!!
29.gif
29.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ACK. ACK. ACK.

I just saw the news... it was only on for a couple of minutes... but they juxtaposed this woman''s story and what it''s costing us with a story what the new CA budget is going to mean (furloughs, gas prices up 12 cents, schools closing) and I think I popped a blood vessel in my brain.
29.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090212/ap_on_re_us/octuplets

Read the whole thing, especially the last few paragraphs. 3 kids receive disability payments. She's already $50k in debt for student loans and intends to pay for the new kids with more student loans. And she'll rely on daycare and "volunteers" for babysitting...

She was already on food stamps before having the 8 new ones. This shouldn't even be allowed to happen - she shouldn't be allowed to even have fertility treatment if she can't afford the kids she already has. I thought more background checks went into this... don't they evaluate your home life and stuff? They should, if they don't.

Why is this allowed to go on?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
The best part is how her home looks in the "new" video of her, after her return from the hospital. It went from complete pigsty, to clean kiddies playing on a white carpet with her sitting on a white couch. Ummm, yeah. We''re gonna believe that''s how you live with 6 kids
20.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock

38.gif

from what they said on Dr. Phil yesterday, the donations and contributions from companies havn''t come in. She hasn''t gotten anything thus far. No one wants to be seen as encouraging this.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 10:09:37 AM
Author: purrfectpear
The best part is how her home looks in the ''new'' video of her, after her return from the hospital. It went from complete pigsty, to clean kiddies playing on a white carpet with her sitting on a white couch. Ummm, yeah. We''re gonna believe that''s how you live with 6 kids
20.gif
That wasn''t her home. That was the "undisclosed location" where she''s been hiding. The kitchen in one house had granite countertops (not her home) and the kitchen in HER REAL HOME was a terrible grimy mess.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 10:16:33 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

from what they said on Dr. Phil yesterday, the donations and contributions from companies havn't come in. She hasn't gotten anything thus far. No one wants to be seen as encouraging this.
How long until the PR firm drops her? I assume her contract is based on a percentage of her "earnings/donations".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results