color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
I love this set, @Sezzwho! That ACC is one gorgeous stone! :kiss2:

I ordered two 6.5mm G/H color OECs from Tianyu and had them set them in platinum martini settings. They did a great job and I am super pleased with them. Now I just have to get used to the weight! :lol:

fullsizeoutput_5d26.jpeg

Earrings are hard to photograph for me because I can never seem to get both stones at the same angle. But they are a well matched set, even though in my pic it kinda looks like one table is larger than the other. It's not in real life!

@mrsgreeneyes - did you end up getting your Tiffany Solitaire ring from Tianyu? If so, can you please post a photo? TIA.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,
So I contacted Sophia at Tianyu and it seems that they have increased their prices quite a bit since last year. Anyone else noticed?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello,
So I contacted Sophia at Tianyu and it seems that they have increased their prices quite a bit since last year. Anyone else noticed?

The quote I got for the ring I had made recently was about 10% higher than 6 months ago. At least there weren't added tariffs (yet)...!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,

Definitely. I got a quote recently for a 3 stone and the price difference between them making the completed ring vs ordering loose stones from them and having the setting made by David Klass was less than $200. A no brainer IMO. They think they’re worth way more than they are because of their recent popularity but they’ll learn real quick that most people prefer to work with NA vendors if they’re spending that kind of money. The benefit of the Chinese companies is the price point and not much else.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh i didn't even think of asking a vendor here about setting cost. Fwiw i think the setting on mine was ~400-500

They should be able to break the quote into setting and stones

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely. I got a quote recently for a 3 stone and the price difference between them making the completed ring vs ordering loose stones from them and having the setting made by David Klass was less than $200. A no brainer IMO. They think they’re worth way more than they are because of their recent popularity but they’ll learn real quick that most people prefer to work with NA vendors if they’re spending that kind of money. The benefit of the Chinese companies is the price point and not much else.

I’m actually thinking of getting a real diamond ring (obviously smaller diamond) then go with moissanite.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh i didn't even think of asking a vendor here about setting cost. Fwiw i think the setting on mine was ~400-500

They should be able to break the quote into setting and stones

Yeah the invoice should be itemized. They wanted around $750 for the 3 stone I had quoted, and to get loose stones and have DK make the setting it was only $920. Definitely would go with DK in a heartbeat for that little of a jump. I think they got too big for their britches and think they deserve to command these higher prices and I’m afraid they’ll be in for a rude awakening if they keep it up. I could be wrong, that’s just my .02

I’m actually thinking of getting a real diamond ring (obviously smaller diamond) then go with moissanite.

My plan is to get Chinese Moissanite (from Tianyu) and upgrade to lab diamonds one day. I considered getting Ideal Rounds from AV and leaving them, but I’m afraid I still will have issues with the whole “mind clean” thing. I tried to get past it but I just don’t think I can. Not for my forever ring anyway. I’d hate to waste all that extra money on a high end NA Moissanite and still not love it long term, YKWIM?

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
D7199B01-AC00-4B67-9643-4C899AC86C02.png 99DB8E82-932E-4E18-B6CC-B71EABF864E6.jpeg
Ok, I need help!
I am debating between a Tiffany Solitaire with a 9mm OEC or a 6 prong Solitaire with diamonds on the band with a 9mm OEC. Which one? Photos are of @mrsgreeneyes Tiffany Solitaire and my old engagement ring.
Which would you choose??

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
D7199B01-AC00-4B67-9643-4C899AC86C02.png 99DB8E82-932E-4E18-B6CC-B71EABF864E6.jpeg
Ok, I need help!
I am debating between a Tiffany Solitaire with a 9mm OEC or a 6 prong Solitaire with diamonds on the band with a 9mm OEC. Which one? Photos are of @mrsgreeneyes Tiffany Solitaire and my old engagement ring.
Which would you choose??
I love that solitaire! Was that made by Tianyu?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I need help!
Which would you choose??
I like the solitaire. I have one of those too through Tianyu. I think with the pave band that it would be better to go through SG so you can get lab diamonds because the cost is so minimal. Tianyu doesn’t offer that.

SG prices have remained about the same. I am not quite sure why Tianyu’s prices have gone up so much. They have a u-prong moissanite set right now that they want $2000 for. That is very surprising. You could also have DK make the actual ring in a harder platinum for probably a similar price if you just got the stone.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
I like the solitaire. I have one of those too through Tianyu. I think with the pave band that it would be better to go through SG so you can get lab diamonds because the cost is so minimal. Tianyu doesn’t offer that.

SG prices have remained about the same. I am not quite sure why Tianyu’s prices have gone up so much. They have a u-prong moissanite set right now that they want $2000 for. That is very surprising. You could also have DK make the actual ring in a harder platinum for probably a similar price if you just got the stone.

I’m going to have to go with 18kt white gold as there is a $400 difference between that and platinum!!!!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock

Do you think 9mm Oec will look fake? I have size US 7 fingers. I will be using it as more of a travel ring or when I’m working out as my engagement ring is too delicate and flashy for those things (but love it so much)!!!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think 9mm Oec will look fake? I have size US 7 fingers. I will be using it as more of a travel ring or when I’m working out as my engagement ring is too delicate and flashy for those things (but love it so much)!!!

Haha. Well size is personal, but for me 9mm always felt too large. But I’m a Goldilocks, 8mm is too small, so 8.5 seems to be my sweet spot. Size 7.5 finger here, but larger knuckles.
Love your avatar ring!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think 9 mm is too large on a 7 but if it is a travel ring and for the gym, you might consider going to 8,5. I think height has to also be taken into consideration if wearing it to the gym or looking too flashy when you travel. I had a 10 mm and I think they look a bit less flat in daylight if slightly smaller.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Haha. Well size is personal, but for me 9mm always felt too large. But I’m a Goldilocks, 8mm is too small, so 8.5 seems to be my sweet spot. Size 7.5 finger here, but larger knuckles.
Love your avatar ring!

I had 8.5mm before with Tianyu, but when I got the ring it only measured 8.2mm. That’s why I thought to go to 9mm. My avatar is my wedding set.....thank you!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t think 9 mm is too large on a 7 but if it is a travel ring and for the gym, you might consider going to 8,5. I think height has to also be taken into consideration if wearing it to the gym or looking too flashy when you travel. I had a 10 mm and I think they look a bit less flat in daylight if slightly smaller.

Thank you for your response. I had 8.5mm before but when I got it, I measured it to be 8.2mm, so that’s why I’m thinking 9mm. I like a low setting too, so I have taken that into consideration. Thank you so much for your feedback!

Last edited:

BMI

Shiny_Rock
If by "working out" you mean lifting weights or going to the gym, I would not personally wear a 9mm solitaire for either. The stones in my rings are bezeled, only 6.5 and 7mm, and I would not wear them while working out.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going to have to go with 18kt white gold as there is a $400 difference between that and platinum!!!!

Can I ask how much tianyu is asking for the set in gold vs platinum? Curious about their prices after hearing that they've gotten expensive

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Can I ask how much tianyu is asking for the set in gold vs platinum? Curious about their prices after hearing that they've gotten expensive
578 vs 921.....that’s a big difference. I went with platinum and an 8.5mm OEC stone.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
578 vs 921.....that’s a big difference. I went with platinum and an 8.5mm OEC stone.
Their prices have definitely increased. It is just short of what it costs to have DK make this ring for you. It isn’t being helped by the trade war going on which is causing a spike in gold prices as well.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Their prices have definitely increased. It is just short of what it costs to have DK make this ring for you. It isn’t being helped by the trade war going on which is causing a spike in gold prices as well.

It’s even worse for me because I’m Canadian and the dollar exchange is crap!!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
It’s even worse for me because I’m Canadian and the dollar exchange is crap!!
That is frustrating especially because of VAT as well. Don’t know if there are any pre-loved ones on DB or LT that you might be able to reset by DK or locally for cheaper since it is just a travel ring?

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock

Do you think I should go with 8.5mm H&A round or OEC? Help!!!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
That is frustrating especially because of VAT as well. Don’t know if there are any pre-loved ones on DB or LT that you might be able to reset by DK or locally for cheaper since it is just a travel ring?

Do you think I should go with 8.5mm H&A round or OEC?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you think I should go with 8.5mm H&A round or OEC?
I can only speak for the OEC...Mine is beautiful..If I could do it again I would do a little warmer G/H...Mine is a DEF..but it’s still beautiful..

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock

For me anything over 7mm to 7.5 just looked off when I was looking into moissanite. And my fingers are pretty much the same size as yours. Just 6.5 instead of 7. But I admit to not liking big sizes either on my hands. Could you possibly go to a jewellery store and see if they carry moissanite in 9mm so you can see how it looks to your eyes? I think when I did that it was the most helpful thing. Looking at people's pictures and videos compared to how it looked in person was very different. I still liked it alot! Enough to still be interested in a moissanite ring eventually. I had just expected to love the 2 carat equivalent and instead I just didn't.

And also I second not wearing a ring at all at the gym. Depending on what you do. Or even if you just trip and fall and your ring catches there is a risk of degloving. Which is horrifying by the way. I usually wear no ring or at most a plain band if I forget to remove everything at home before I go.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
For me anything over 7mm to 7.5 just looked off when I was looking into moissanite. And my fingers are pretty much the same size as yours. Just 6.5 instead of 7. But I admit to not liking big sizes either on my hands. Could you possibly go to a jewellery store and see if they carry moissanite in 9mm so you can see how it looks to your eyes? I think when I did that it was the most helpful thing. Looking at people's pictures and videos compared to how it looked in person was very different. I still liked it alot! Enough to still be interested in a moissanite ring eventually. I had just expected to love the 2 carat equivalent and instead I just didn't.

And also I second not wearing a ring at all at the gym. Depending on what you do. Or even if you just trip and fall and your ring catches there is a risk of degloving. Which is horrifying by the way. I usually wear no ring or at most a plain band if I forget to remove everything at home before I go.

I second this. If you can, go try on sizes or even order cheap eBay rings to see what you like. I thought from pics and videos that I’d love an 8mm or even 8.5mm (I think I started at a 9mm!) but once I got the loose stone I realized it was way too much for me personally and I’m a size 8 ring. My sweet spot is around 7mm-7.5mm like you said.

And degloving.....traumatizing photos I can never unsee. My husband works construction and there’s pictures floating around to scare people into not wearing their rings at work. I’d say it’s effective.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results