shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

Clemsonfan15

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. Didn't know if I was being overly critical. I asked for an OEC pear, but perhaps it is just antique cut. Didn't realize there was a difference.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the feedback. Didn't know if I was being overly critical. I asked for an OEC pear, but perhaps it is just antique cut. Didn't realize there was a difference.
Sorry, when I read oec I think round cut. That's why I was a little confused. But yes I think it's an antique cut pear. I had just gotten up when I wrote back so I might have been reading poorly.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
This is definitely their antique cut. An OEC refers to a round as mentioned. That airline is a bit tough to fix without changing the stone. They should have brought the halo in a bit tighter to the stone dimensions. Maybe ask for a picture from the side so you can see how bad the gap is. Sometimes it looks worse in pictures just because it is blown up. If the gap is still there, they either have to change the stone to fit the halo or change the halo to fit the stone, which would mean remaking the setting.

Halo’s seem to be a bit tough for these Chinese companies to pull off. A good jeweler will build the halo around a stone but I am not sure this is what they are doing if a stock stone is being used. I would ask for a side view, and then push back if you are unhappy with it.

olivepickle

Rough_Rock
0064E529-6BA5-4411-BBA9-9775F91006FE.jpeg 3C6D32C2-7A94-40EC-B3DA-A6865F69E32F.jpeg Hi! I received my ring on Friday and wanted to share.I ordered a simple solitaire setting with a 7.75mm DEF moissanite and talon prongs. They made the prongs wrong and fixed it before shipping. I love the ring in person, the prongs are very delicate and the stone is amazing! So sharp, no double refraction that I can see, very well cut, not much rainbow except in direct sunlight, and so sparkly (and so hard to photograph accurately!) The only problem is that it’s too big. I brought it to a jeweler and the ring is a quarter size larger than I ordered; my jeweler is resizing it for me. I emailed Ella to see if they’d refund me the resizing fee since it was made wrong - anyone else experienced that?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
0064E529-6BA5-4411-BBA9-9775F91006FE.jpeg 3C6D32C2-7A94-40EC-B3DA-A6865F69E32F.jpeg Hi! I received my ring on Friday and wanted to share.I ordered a simple solitaire setting with a 7.75mm DEF moissanite and talon prongs. They made the prongs wrong and fixed it before shipping. I love the ring in person, the prongs are very delicate and the stone is amazing! So sharp, no double refraction that I can see, very well cut, not much rainbow except in direct sunlight, and so sparkly (and so hard to photograph accurately!) The only problem is that it’s too big. I brought it to a jeweler and the ring is a quarter size larger than I ordered; my jeweler is resizing it for me. I emailed Ella to see if they’d refund me the resizing fee since it was made wrong - anyone else experienced that?
Yup. My eternity is a quarter size too big also.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Several people have mentioned this over the past year. When Tianyu show’s the ring on a sizing stick, it always has the right size for them so I don’t know if they will refund the fee. You might want to have your jeweler take a picture of the ‘before’ so you can show them....your ring does look really nice though and the moissanite looks well cut....

2020vision

Rough_Rock
Hello, long time lurker finally looking to propose now and making my first order with Tianyu. Could I get some feedback on my CAD design, would really appreciate any input as I'm not an expert in this. Thanks! Screenshot_20190417-085025.png

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
@swaye2010 since you are now my ACC guru, what do you think of this new video? I like the color (video taken inside her office in the morning). I think either it's a different stone than the last video they sent or the other lighting was just insanely harsh.

Did you order this yet? :lol:

C

Chanterelle

This ring is amazing! What are the specs of the stone?

Sorry for the delay! It's an 8 x 8mm stone with an Asscher-inspired cut, so it has some extra bling to it. The ring itself is a size 4.75 so it might look larger than it really is!

miafab

Rough_Rock
Screenshot_20190424-130131_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190424-121551_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190424-121538_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190424-121439_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190424-121353_Gallery.jpg 20190424_084822.jpg 20190424_090119.jpg 20190424_090055.jpg
8.5mm OEC lab yellow sapphire in an 18k yellow gold bezel. Size 6
I'm liking it a lot.
I haven't seen any yellow lab sapphires so I thought I'd post in case anyone was curious. I'm really enjoying the stone ;-)

Last edited:

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful!

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi, everyone! I took a long break as my daughter was in the hospital, but thought I would pop in to see how everyone is doing. So happy to see this thread is still going strong and so many lovely sparklies! :kiss2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, everyone! I took a long break as my daughter was in the hospital, but thought I would pop in to see how everyone is doing. So happy to see this thread is still going strong and so many lovely sparklies! :kiss2:
Oh no! Is everything ok? Sending best wishes for her and you!

Jane_in_June

Rough_Rock
455b123a1ac4638b9ac33ed3c1b003cd.png
Hello, all! I made a PS account just for this post. I am reading through this SIXTY NINE page thread and I've gotten to page 34, but I have to post because my Tianyu CAD is finally in! I paid my $50 CAD deposit on Monday night and Sue sent me my CAD on Friday night.

I sent Sue a LOT of detailed inspo pictures and notes, and the first CAD came out so good! I love it as is, and I think a few minor tweaks will make it perfect. Here are the changes I've typed up to send Sue regarding the CAD. Please let me know what you think.

----

1. Prongs (marked in blue) seem to poke out too much. I would like them to be smaller and very rounded and stick very close to the center stone. Not stick out at all.

2. The walls surrounding the side stones (marked in purple) seem too wide. Please use 1.5mm side stones instead of 1.3mm and make the walls thinner.

3. 6.8mm is too high for the height (marked in orange). Please make the height be 6mm.

4. I would like the top thickness to be 1.8mm (instead of 2.1mm).
And the bottom thickness thickness to be 1.4mm (instead of 1.6mm). (marked in red)
CAD 1.jpg
------

And for the center...it's is a 7.5mm / 1.5ct GH VS 8H&A moissanite. I asked Sue to pick out the best one she had. I asked for close up pictures. Here's the best one she sent. I'm not very knowledgeable about the different aspects of the cut, so I'm sure I'll like the one she picked.

May 3 (2).jpg

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
455b123a1ac4638b9ac33ed3c1b003cd.png
Hello, all! I made a PS account just for this post. I am reading through this SIXTY NINE page thread and I've gotten to page 34, but I have to post because my Tianyu CAD is finally in! I paid my $50 CAD deposit on Monday night and Sue sent me my CAD on Friday night.

I sent Sue a LOT of detailed inspo pictures and notes, and the first CAD came out so good! I love it as is, and I think a few minor tweaks will make it perfect. Here are the changes I've typed up to send Sue regarding the CAD. Please let me know what you think.

----

1. Prongs (marked in blue) seem to poke out too much. I would like them to be smaller and very rounded and stick very close to the center stone. Not stick out at all.

2. The walls surrounding the side stones (marked in purple) seem too wide. Please use 1.5mm side stones instead of 1.3mm and make the walls thinner.

3. 6.8mm is too high for the height (marked in orange). Please make the height be 6mm.

4. I would like the top thickness to be 1.8mm (instead of 2.1mm).
And the bottom thickness thickness to be 1.4mm (instead of 1.6mm). (marked in red)
CAD 1.jpg
------

And for the center...it's is a 7.5mm / 1.5ct GH VS 8H&A moissanite. I asked Sue to pick out the best one she had. I asked for close up pictures. Here's the best one she sent. I'm not very knowledgeable about the different aspects of the cut, so I'm sure I'll like the one she picked.

May 3 (2).jpg
To address some of your points - you don’t want to go under 1.6 at the bottom or it will dent and misshapen. 1.6 mm is really the minimum but since you have a size 5 finger, it will probably be ok. The prongs only stick up on the CAD drawing, which is standard and will look normal in the final product.

With a cathedral setting, 6.8 is probably as low as you are going to get with your size stone. You would have to switch to an integrated head and even then, it is pretty hard to get under 7. You can see the stone is already set all the way at the bottom. 6.8 mm is actually pretty low overall.

I can’t tell if the pave is bead set or channel set. The walls will be thicker than a typical shared prong pave. It may look thicker on the CAD then in real life. The only way to get a thinner band is to switch to shared prong. If you change the 1.3 mm stones to 1.5 mm, then the wall’s will be even thicker so I don’t know if that is something that you want to do. There has to be enough metal to hold the stones. I would think that 1.5 mm stones would give you a 2.5 mm band.

Jane_in_June

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your detailed response!
The side stones are shared prong.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have your inspiration picture? They maybe shared prong but they are channel set or bead set (meaning they are recessed between the metal). Typical French pave won’t have the walls and you will see the U’s cut out of the band. This would allow you to get a thinner band if that is what you are trying to do.

Jane_in_June

Rough_Rock
I didn't have one single inspiration ring, it was more of a compilation. But I definitely like the wall, not the exposed u look where you can see the sides of the stones.
I told them to make the band 2.25mm wide and they put exactly that on the CAD.
So I guess my ring is shared prong and channel set?
Here's my original design requests.
Screenshot_20190504-145234_Chrome.jpg

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't have one single inspiration ring, it was more of a compilation. But I definitely like the wall, not the exposed u look where you can see the sides of the stones.
I told them to make the band 2.25mm wide and they put exactly that on the CAD.
So I guess my ring is shared prong and channel set?
Here's my original design requests.
Screenshot_20190504-145234_Chrome.jpg
Everything always looks much bigger on the CAD then it will be in real life. The size of the melee is what they can fit based on your request for the width of the band. I think your CAD matches your inspiration picture pretty well. It all looks as it should. The only thing they might be able to thin out just slightly will be the 2.1 measurement on the profile. If they can get that down to 2 mm and especially have it not be over 2 mm between the fingers. Even better would between 1.8 - 2 mm between the finger’s just because it is more comfortable.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case anyone else has been wondering about Tianyu's price fluctuatuons, I finally asked for a requote for the same ring idea from 6 months ago and the price has gone up by ~$30. I was expecting more. Still havent decided if I will move forward, debating between getting 2-3 moissy pieces or putting all that money towards a "real" piece. Decisions, decisions!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case anyone else has been wondering about Tianyu's price fluctuatuons, I finally asked for a requote for the same ring idea from 6 months ago and the price has gone up by ~$30. I was expecting more. Still havent decided if I will move forward, debating between getting 2-3 moissy pieces or putting all that money towards a "real" piece. Decisions, decisions!

I miscalculated earlier, it was actually a ~$60 increase or about 10% higher. *kicks December self* I decided to go for it anyway and will be back with questions as the process moves along....!

Jane_in_June

Rough_Rock
What's your inspiration ring/idea?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's your inspiration ring/idea?

mine? criss-cut/ashoka style solitaire w/ french cut sides. i originally wanted a 3 stone cushion, this design ended up a lot more expensive & i'm hoping it's worth it...!

will share cads/photos etc. as they come along. i still need to pay the invoice =)

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
This looks really lovely and my confidence to order online is growing.
I'm looking to make a platinum ring with diamond melle using my own centre moissanite. Who will be the best bet for this please?

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I'm looking to make a platinum ring with diamond melle using my own centre moissanite. Who will be the best bet for this please?
I don’t know if the Chinese vendors sell empty settings. I guess they might, I don’t know that I’ve seen anyone get an empty ring setting from them.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
You can order an empty setting. I have seen people put their own stones in them but you need to have all the exact measurements including the depth. Most people have not had a problem but it does require precise measurements and then you can have someone set the moissanite locally.

Jane_in_June

Rough_Rock
CAD 2.png
When Tianyu sends pictures of the finished ring, is that an invitation to make changes? Has anyone made changes after the ring is already produced, but not made to your requests?

Sue sent me pictures last night and I am not happy with the prongs. When she sent the first CAD, I said "Prongs (circled in blue) seem to poke out too much. I would like them to be small and very rounded and stick close to the center stone. Not stick out at all." When she sent the second CAD, the prongs did not change. I said "My only question is about the prongs because they look the same as the first CAD. I just want to make sure that they will not stick out. Can my prongs look like these?"
Tianyu-Customized PT950-14K-18k-white-Gold.jpg
She said that it would look like this for the finished product, and not to worry about the way it looks on the CAD. I know they are capable of the exact look I want because of the above picture!
To me, they look just like they did on the CAD. Large and flat instead of small and round. They almost look like rounded claws to me. And I don't like claws.
What can I do at this point? Can/will they change it, and will they charge me? It's their mistake because I was so specific and Sue said she understood. Just looking for others' experience at this point.
May 18 (1).jpg May 18 (2).jpg May 18 (3).jpg

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
I haven’t been through this personally, but I wouldn’t think it should be too difficult for them to fix the prongs, and I definitely would mention it since you were so specific and used one of their own rings as an example. When I ordered from Ella, she needed me to approve before shipping the ring, so I’d make sure the prongs are made to your liking before approving.
CAD 2.png
When Tianyu sends pictures of the finished ring, is that an invitation to make changes? Has anyone made changes after the ring is already produced, but not made to your requests?

Sue sent me pictures last night and I am not happy with the prongs. When she sent the first CAD, I said "Prongs (circled in blue) seem to poke out too much. I would like them to be small and very rounded and stick close to the center stone. Not stick out at all." When she sent the second CAD, the prongs did not change. I said "My only question is about the prongs because they look the same as the first CAD. I just want to make sure that they will not stick out. Can my prongs look like these?"
Tianyu-Customized PT950-14K-18k-white-Gold.jpg
She said that it would look like this for the finished product, and not to worry about the way it looks on the CAD. I know they are capable of the exact look I want because of the above picture!
To me, they look just like they did on the CAD. Large and flat instead of small and round. They almost look like rounded claws to me. And I don't like claws.
What can I do at this point? Can/will they change it, and will they charge me? It's their mistake because I was so specific and Sue said she understood. Just looking for others' experience at this point.
May 18 (1).jpg May 18 (2).jpg May 18 (3).jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results