shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope bfelix doesn’t mind if I repost her pic but it is a good comparison. She has the Tianyu ACC (pinhole) next to an ACC diamond (top). You can see how different the cut looks if you blow it up. Normally I see this with the square version and not the elongated version but they do the same for both.

Next two pics are of an elongated version of the ACC and a squarer version of the ACC that I had cut to look like the elongated version.
E6111919-D481-4681-B9E9-4BED97957EBB.jpeg
584907C3-8485-4C70-86D3-9B257572E776.jpeg
8AF7ACC1-214B-42F9-8C21-2E054BE05B8D.jpeg

I was trying to help someone on Reddit get the long, thin culet from Tianyu but they still did the pinhole culet so I am not sure what you will get. They were willing to try to cut it again but I am haven’t seen the recut yet.

Regarding the gold differences - I see some jewelers refer to these rings we are getting made as ‘feather weight’ rings, which I can only think it means that they are not solid all the way through. I have always made my rings pretty hefty, which is not the norm as most people want dainty rings. I went back and looked at the gram weight of my rings from the CAD’s from Tianyu & SG. Most are platinum but 2 were gold, with the dimensions being about the same. The Tianyu rings are around 6 grams and the SG CAD’s are between 8-9 grams for a size 8 finger, which is bigger than average. My Tianyu rings were solitaires so I would expect them to be a little lighter but I have to say the SG rings were very solid. As solid as any ring I might have had made by a US seller. I think you have to ask with the gold price, what the width and thickness dimensions are so that you know you are getting quoted appropriately. The Rachel ring is not overly complex, so it shouldn’t be so difficult to figure out. I got a copy of luckyrabbit’s Rachel ring and she is size 7 with a 7gram gold weight just for reference:
EC6ABD64-41C2-41C5-8C28-06936818757B.png
This is SO helpful!!!! Who cut the one w the claw prongs (your last pic)? It's perfect !!!!!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
This is SO helpful!!!! Who cut the one w the claw prongs (your last pic)? It's perfect !!!!!
I think it helps to see them side by side. I had SG cut that one as they have refined their ACC based on all my nit-picking when it comes to this cut. I may have gone slightly over board with the 11x10 cushion and I might actually replace it with a smaller one because the ring ended up being a little taller than I can deal with. Just trying to figure out how to fix it with the jeweler for minimal costs since the setting was a small fortune....the costs make it hard to say ‘no’ to size when it comes to moissanite!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it helps to see them side by side. I had SG cut that one as they have refined their ACC based on all my nit-picking when it comes to this cut. I may have gone slightly over board with the 11x10 cushion and I might actually replace it with a smaller one because the ring ended up being a little taller than I can deal with. Just trying to figure out how to fix it with the jeweler for minimal costs since the setting was a small fortune....the costs make it hard to say ‘no’ to size when it comes to moissanite!
Yeah .I think I need to just go with SG bc that cut is amazing .

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I know we are on the Tianyu thread but it might help other’s. I usually deal with Cherry and she had this cut for me so you can send her this pic or one of the other rep’s and they should know it was the 11x10 custom cut in December. Cherry should recognize it by my WB user name (angelwaye). I am also redoing my original ACC with an 11x9 with some diamond baguettes I picked up from Ivy & Rose. I couldn’t get past the quality of the tapered moissy versions so I was hoping the diamond ones would balance it out a bit. That will have miligrain and hand engraving and I hope to have that one in the next month. It has literally been taking forever...!

A69E17D0-BE80-4A48-87D5-42D67F2B2523.jpeg

It won’t look exactly like this but inspired by the detailing of this....
D38E0D0B-13F0-4557-92DE-969AB8159D68.jpeg

I need to go to ring ‘rehab’.....

Attachments

• 3427D61E-1B54-4FA1-8E35-AE9D67C2C8A0.jpeg
    3427D61E-1B54-4FA1-8E35-AE9D67C2C8A0.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 47

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know we are on the Tianyu thread but it might help other’s. I usually deal with Cherry and she had this cut for me so you can send her this pic or one of the other rep’s and they should know it was the 11x10 custom cut in December. Cherry should recognize it by my WB user name (angelwaye). I am also redoing my original ACC with an 11x9 with some diamond baguettes I picked up from Ivy & Rose. I couldn’t get past the quality of the tapered moissy versions so I was hoping the diamond ones would balance it out a bit. That will have miligrain and hand engraving and I hope to have that one in the next month. It has literally been taking forever...!

A69E17D0-BE80-4A48-87D5-42D67F2B2523.jpeg

It won’t look exactly like this but inspired by the detailing of this....
D38E0D0B-13F0-4557-92DE-969AB8159D68.jpeg

I need to go to ring ‘rehab’.....
Is the loose one pictured above different than the one in the ring with the claw prongs? Are they the same cut? Ahhhh you have so many amazing stones!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Is the loose one pictured above different than the one in the ring with the claw prongs? Are they the same cut? Ahhhh you have so many amazing stones!
Yes, that is the same stone set. Out of all the ones I have done, this one has been the best. I would keep it in a more realistic size though for the best look. I found that 2.5 carats to be a really nice siweet spot. I am probably going to have to go way down on the one I just made to make it fit right and to drop the height. These square cushions are very deep. They work well in cathedral or 3 stone settings or anything with an integrated head.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that is the same stone set. Out of all the ones I have done, this one has been the best. I would keep it in a more realistic size though for the best look. I found that 2.5 carats to be a really nice siweet spot. I am probably going to have to go way down on the one I just made to make it fit right and to drop the height. These square cushions are very deep. They work well in cathedral or 3 stone settings or anything with an integrated head.
You are the best thank youu!!! 9*8 is 2.5ct, right?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
You are the best thank youu!!! 9*8 is 2.5ct, right?
I think that is a good size and somewhere in the area that I am going to go. If you want it slightly elongated, you can do 9.5x8, which is what a lot of people have been ordering based on my original cut. If you go for the more ‘square’ cut, just confirm you want that long, thin culet and well defined Maltese cross. Any pic’s you may have will always help too....

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So before we started this convo and I realized yours was cut by SG, I asked a newer company about that cut in champagne. They have this one (9*10). mmexport1555001314880.jpg mmexport1555001328610.jpg mmexport1555001319878.jpg

And videos

What do you think? Or should I play safe and just have SG cut me one?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
So before we started this convo and I realized yours was cut by SG, I asked a newer company about that cut in champagne. They have this one (9*10). mmexport1555001314880.jpg mmexport1555001328610.jpg mmexport1555001319878.jpg

And videos

What do you think? Or should I play safe and just have SG cut me one?
I would get it cut. It might cost a few more dollars but you will get exactly what you want that way. The champagne looks interesting and I know several people have wanted that color but I haven’t seen an order for one yet. I bought the fancy yellow one time and it was not good. I would ask for a pic in natural light as well so you can get a good look at the color. That would be really pretty in yellow or rose gold.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the recut by Tianyu. Looking at at my phone, I thought there was a big window but it was just the angle. Looks more like the SG one but a bit more rounded along the edges so almost has an oval shape. It would have helped if the stone had been up right though to see the cut better.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Moissanite...opinions/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app
This is insanely pretty! I love the mix between oval and cushion. Is there a name for it? Do they still call it a cushion?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
This is insanely pretty! I love the mix between oval and cushion. Is there a name for it? Do they still call it a cushion?
I think they are just calling it an elongated OMC. I sent the pattern of the stone that I had cut to this person on Reddit so she could get them to recut it with a long thin culet because they did the pinhole culet twice. This is what they came up with. The only thing I wish she had done was order it in at least G/H color. This is the first attempt at doing it the way SG does so if you like this, Tianyu can be an option for you too. Not sure if they have champagne though. I know someone ordered it off WB about 4 month’s ago and then they cancelled her order and said it was unavailable. Worth a try though??

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are just calling it an elongated OMC. I sent the pattern of the stone that I had cut to this person on Reddit so she could get them to recut it with a long thin culet because they did the pinhole culet twice. This is what they came up with. The only thing I wish she had done was order it in at least G/H color. This is the first attempt at doing it the way SG does so if you like this, Tianyu can be an option for you too. Not sure if they have champagne though. I know someone ordered it off WB about 4 month’s ago and then they cancelled her order and said it was unavailable. Worth a try though??

yeah, but I feel like sticking with SG makes the most sense given that the ones you have that I adore are from SG. I sent them pics on WhatsApp and will see what they say.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@swaye2010 since you are now my ACC guru, what do you think of this new video? I like the color (video taken inside her office in the morning). I think either it's a different stone than the last video they sent or the other lighting was just insanely harsh.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
@swaye2010 since you are now my ACC guru, what do you think of this new video? I like the color (video taken inside her office in the morning). I think either it's a different stone than the last video they sent or the other lighting was just insanely harsh.

The size of their culet kinda reminds me of the August vintage moissys which are my fav

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock

The face up view was short but from what I can see at the end, it looks good. I really love the idea of a champagne colored stone. Is this from Tianyu or SG? I haven’t seen anyone purchase this color yet so you would be the first. What do you plan on doing with it? I am getting ready to order an 8x9 ACC. I am going to replace my huge stone with this more reasonable size. I wish I didn’t have to go down so far, but it is the only size that will work to drop the height.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock

I. Love. This. Stone. It’s amazing! I love the color and the cut, personally.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I think I’ve asked this before, but has anyone ordered IJ H&A stones from Tianyu? I’m deciding if I should go GH or lower. I don’t prefer bright white, so colorless is out but from what I’ve seen, GH is still pretty white.

If you have pics of GH or IJ, I’d love to see them! I asked for pics from my rep, but I don’t think they had any IJ in stock.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's from a new company @swaye2010 which makes me a little nervous since I know the ones I loved that you got were cut by SG. I was all set to just have SG cut it for me (despite slightly more expensive), but then these newer videos came and I kind of love this stone!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
It's from a new company @swaye2010 which makes me a little nervous since I know the ones I loved that you got were cut by SG. I was all set to just have SG cut it for me (despite slightly more expensive), but then these newer videos came and I kind of love this stone!
I doesn’t look bad at all....if you don’t love it, just put it back up on LT or DB and I am sure it will go. It would look nice in a rose or yellow gold solitaire.

miafab

Rough_Rock
Screenshot_20190413-102159_WhatsApp.jpg soon to be receiving this 18k yellow gold bezel of an 8.5mm OEC lab sspphire. Size 6.25. The color is #20. Crossing my fingers I like the color IRL!
Will of course post pics once it arrives.
IMG-20190413-WA0010.jpg IMG-20190413-WA0012.jpg IMG-20190413-WA0011.jpg

miafab

Rough_Rock
I made it to stack with this one... 20181026_162324.jpg 20181026_162519.jpg .
.because just one ring isn't enough :)

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Wow, it looks great! Can’t wait to see the IRL pics!
Screenshot_20190413-102159_WhatsApp.jpg soon to be receiving this 18k yellow gold bezel of an 8.5mm OEC lab sspphire. Size 6.25. The color is #20. Crossing my fingers I like the color IRL!
Will of course post pics once it arrives.
IMG-20190413-WA0010.jpg IMG-20190413-WA0012.jpg IMG-20190413-WA0011.jpg

Clemsonfan15

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Do you see any issues with this ring? The only item I noticed was the gap on the sides between the halo and stone. Does this look like an OEC to you?

upload_2019-4-13_11-20-45.png
upload_2019-4-13_11-21-7.png
Thank you

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

Do you see any issues with this ring? The only item I noticed was the gap on the sides between the halo and stone. Does this look like an OEC to you?

upload_2019-4-13_11-20-45.png
upload_2019-4-13_11-21-7.png
Thank you
An oec? Not at all. Although I might be mis understanding your question. The pear looks like it has antique faceting (kind of but its hard to be sure from photos). The gap bothers me, but I don't see any other issues

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Clemsonfan15 I completely concur with @lovedogs in that the stone isn’t an OEC, perhaps an antique cut pear. It is a pretty ring but the gap (east/west of center stone) would irritate me as well and once I see something like that, it’s all I see. I would see if they can fix that. Idk how though. Sorry to be blunt. :wink2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results